Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sochi Olympic thread

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think Russia can be proud of its hosting of the Olympics in spite of many in the west hoping to find fault. Beautiful rendition of it's fabulous anthem to round things off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

and great to see a bit of humour at the 5th ring not opening :)
    brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Very impressive closing ceremony.

Can't see our fleg anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How come the Russian team jackets have RUSSIA written on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Excellent if long closing ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Seamus O Connor carried the Irish flag he was on the left as you looked at the pics.

Russia delivered an amazing canvas for an Olympics and the Athletes delivered so many amazing moments and athletic performances.

Now it's safe for me to race again as all the non Olympic team athletes are back on the WC tour and not at local races ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Norway is one of the most wealthy, mountainous, snowy and talented countries in the world. They had the biggest Winter Olympics budget and were favourites to win the medals table from day 1. They're Winter Olympics giants, and it's a disaster for them not to top the table. So much for li'l ol'Norway!

Norway also tops with most medals won in the Winter Olympics.

http://www.olympic.it/english/medal/id_winter.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭omega man

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Norway is one of the most wealthy, mountainous, snowy and talented countries in the world. They had the biggest Winter Olympics budget and were favourites to win the medals table from day 1. They're Winter Olympics giants, and it's a disaster for them not to top the table. So much for li'l ol'Norway!

It all went wrong in the cross-country skiing where Norway were favourites in pretty much every event. Most of the blame has gone to the head of the ski wax team. Norway has a huge R&D budget for determining the perfect wax to put on the skis for cross-country skiing in different types of snow, but it seems they didn't have the right wax for the melty snow in the unusually warm weather. The head guy blamed the other countries teaming up to develop their own ski waxes and not giving the Norwegian team access to them, but the other teams denied that.

Completely disagree. Throwing money at something doesn't guarantee success. I suspect other nations such as the US, Russia, Canada and Germany etc have similar budgets. They still have to identify, develop and nurture the talent.

In fairness the female cross country, the biathlon and the Nordic combined teams were very successful so I'm not sure about the waxing theory. Yes the men's cross country team were really poor but there's more to that then wax that's for sure.

Population wise Norway has and continues to punch way above itself and finishing second in the medal table behind the host nation is a massive achievement surely? Even the swedes would reluctantly agree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

quarryman wrote: »
    Give it a rest with the British sentimentalities guys.

She "walked the line" in at least 2 of them. I watched her interviews and it was clear she knew she cheated. She bent the rules and got caught. She knew it, she knew we knew it.

Ignore this. Stupid drunk 4am rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    views and highlights on the last day?

for me that was the best ever Winter Olympics staged , Russia did a mammoth job and barring the negative press at the start from the American Journos it has been portrayed as a success. Fitting they topped the medal table :)

barring the excessive curling i really enjoyed the BBC coverage and was refreshing to have humour and fun in sport via Claire Balding and Aimee Fuller alongside Ed Leigh and Tim Warwood , some great stuff.

Highlights for me:

Ukraines team gold in the biathlon and subsequent nod to their fellow country folk.

Lizzy Yarnold getting gold

Jenny Jones and all the snowboard and ski team including Northern Ireland's Amiee Fuller and the excitable commentary

the Japanese guy who skated to Gary Moore

Ted Ligity saying it how it is

and of course SKI CROSS!

probably forgot half of it , been glued solid for 2 weeks!!

and the quote of the olympics goes to Ed Leigh for explaining to me what riding switch means :)

Riding switch is like writing left-handed while wearing a chip hat and being attacked by seagulls

Agreed. I've been watching the winter olympics since 1984 and Sochi was the best I can remember. Think the Japenese lad who at 41 silvered medalled in the ski jump deserves a mention. Said he's going again in 4yrs time, fair play to him. Great olympics, absolutely gutted its over, only thing that softens the blow is the fact that its a world cup year aswell. Cant wait for Korea in 4yrs.......

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Agreed. I've been watching the winter olympics since 1984 and Sochi was the best I can remember. Think the Japenese lad who at 41 silvered medalled in the ski jump deserves a mention. Said he's going again in 4yrs time, fair play to him. Great olympics, absolutely gutted its over, only thing that softens the blow is the fact that its a world cup year aswell. Cant wait for Korea in 4yrs.......

Also Ole Einar Bjorndalen, the 40-year-old Norwegian, became the oldest individual gold medalist and the most successful Winter Olympian in history by winning gold in the 10-kilometer and mixed-relay biathlon. American Bode Miller, 36, ended his Olympic career by becoming the oldest medalist in Alpine skiing by sharing bronze in the men’s super-giant slalom, while Austria’s Mario Matt won the men’s slalom to become the oldest Olympic Alpine gold medalist.
    Great achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Also Ole Einar Bjorndalen, the 40-year-old Norwegian, became the oldest individual gold medalist and the most successful Winter Olympian in history by winning gold in the 10-kilometer and mixed-relay biathlon. American Bode Miller, 36, ended his Olympic career by becoming the oldest medalist in Alpine skiing by sharing bronze in the men’s super-giant slalom, while Austria’s Mario Matt won the men’s slalom to become the oldest Olympic Alpine gold medalist.
    Great achievements.

I could be wrong about this but I dont think Bode Miller has made any announcements in relation to retirement.
    Yeah defo Bjorndalen deserves a mention, hope he'll go again in Korea.

I could be wrong about this but I dont think Bode Miller has made any announcements in relation to retirement.

Well it's not the first time Bode Miller says he will retire,but you never know.:D
    Regarding Bjorndalen I think it could be his last though.He came in strong but struggled towards the end of the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Think the Japenese lad who at 41 silvered medalled in the ski jump deserves a mention. Said he's going again in 4yrs time, fair play to him.

Noriaki Kasai's medal was probably the highlight of the games for me. I've watched him jumping for 20 years and it's amazing to see him still competing at that level. It was a shame he missed out on gold by such a small margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

He will probably hold on until next year as the world Champs are in beaver creek and finish on home snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The Australians have had some of the most amazing winter Olympic stories

Advertisement