Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What level of education have you achieved?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Level 10 but education doesn't necessarily correlate with intelligence. I.e. A lot of the leaving cert is a memory test (A bloody hard one).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Level 10 but education doesn't necessarily correlate with intelligence. I.e. A lot of the leaving cert is a memory test (A bloody hard one).

I found college to be far more "memory-based" - I still remember plenty of stuff from the LC, but nothing at all from my degree. Shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Doing level 8, don't plan on doing anything after that. Straight into the working world.

Masters or a PHD doesn't really mean much in my future profession unless I was to go into research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I don't think I could do anything above a level 6 or maybe a level 7. Nothing to do with ability or mental capacity, Mostly because I work full time and couldn't really afford to go part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Masters and a DELTA.

Enough for contract work, not for tenure. Seriously thinking about a PhD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Doing level 8, don't plan on doing anything after that. Straight into the working world.

Masters or a PHD doesn't really mean much in my future profession unless I was to go into research.

Masters or PhD doesn't matter a bog in most professions tbh. Four years of relevant experience are as important or more important than a doctorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hmmm, I've got a 6, two 8's, one 9, and midway through my second 9. I've another couple of 9's to do that interest me before I feel ready for a 10.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I found college to be far more "memory-based" - I still remember plenty of stuff from the LC, but nothing at all from my degree. Shameful.

What did you do in college?

Masters or PhD doesn't matter a bog in most professions tbh. Four years of relevant experience are as important or more important than a doctorate.

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

LC,

doing a fetac this september to get back into the swing of things, uni next..all going well ^^

• Advertisement

Maphisto wrote: »
    OK, I'll ask, what's level 6 then?:o

So does everyone have to achieve the Junior Cert. You can't leave education without it?

It's leaving cert nowadays..is it not?

(well, you can leave, but you'll be fecked going further with it. Even trades work/apprenticeships are hell to get into now.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

so how does that account for professional body qualifications like ACCA?

I believe ACA is counted as a Level 9, I don't know about ACCA

Big Steve wrote: »
    I don't think I could do anything above a level 6 or maybe a level 7. Nothing to do with ability or mental capacity, Mostly because I work full time and couldn't really afford to go part time.

I work full time and I'm doing a Level 8 degree (in science) part time. I'm due to finish in September (fingers crossed) and it will have taken five years start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

40% above level 8. That's ridiculous.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Completely agree.

I'd disagree to a certain extent anyway.

Masters are starting to become a requirement for more and more jobs recently, even if its not necessarily specified it will often put you ahead of other candidates.

As for a PhD, I think it does open up a lot more possibilities for a person, especially if they want to change job or field. A lot of multinationals in particular (medical devices, electronics etc) will hire any science or engineering PhD for a job with the understanding that they are a strong candidate due to their level of education rather than experience in the field.

You can see this in advertisements where you will see requirements of "PhD in any related science or engineering field, while experience is often only desirable, particular for project management or other similar roles (process, quality engineers etc). Now of course this wont be the case for all fields but in the science/engineering area you are definitely opening up possibilities by having a PhD.
    Gambas wrote: »

Poll should really have separated level 9 and level 10.

nibtrix wrote: »
    I work full time and I'm doing a Level 8 degree (in science) part time. I'm due to finish in September (fingers crossed) and it will have taken five years start to finish.

Thats something to be proud of, but not many people are capable of that.

I certainly wouldn't be. Also, you don't get any monetary support for part-time courses here..do you?
    Gambas wrote: »

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Education doesn't mean sh1t, the country hands out Masters and PhD's to any old Tom, Dick and Harry.

Some of the dumbest people I've met have multiple degrees and post docs

Education is hugely important in terms of personal development, no matter what field you choose to study or how you choose to study, whether it be from Junior Infant level to PhD, apprenticeship to professional body qualifications, even self-education -

Education helps you progress in life.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Does internet discussion forum stuff count?
    If not leaving cert.

No shìt? I was convinced you were far more well educated than Leaving Cert level! :eek:

Myself, I have a couple of degree level qualifications in a number of disciplines, a couple of professional body qualifications, and right now I'm studying for a degree level qualification in a discipline I couldn't have seen myself going for 20 years ago, but I'm always encouraging people to educate and upskill themselves.

I'm a bit of a "Jack of all trades, Masters in none", like the only reason I'm doing the course I'm doing now is because I need to familiarize myself with the language the people I need to work with use, so I can talk to them on their level.

Thats something to be proud of, but not many people are capable of that.

I certainly wouldn't be. Also, you don't get any monetary support for part-time courses here..do you?

You have to sacrifice a lot of time to it, but I think many people would be able for it.

No financial support, you're right about that!!

I'd disagree to a certain extent anyway.

Masters are starting to become a requirement for more and more jobs recently, even if its not necessarily specified it will often put you ahead of other candidates.

As for a PhD, I think it does open up a lot more possibilities for a person, especially if they want to change job or field. A lot of multinationals in particular (medical devices, electronics etc) will hire any science or engineering PhD for a job with the understanding that they are a strong candidate due to their level of education rather than experience in the field.

You can see this in advertisements where you will see requirements of "PhD in any related science or engineering field, while experience is often only desirable, particular for project management or other similar roles (process, quality engineers etc). Now of course this wont be the case for all fields but in the science/engineering area you are definitely opening up possibilities by having a PhD.

I have two Masters Degrees and I find employers don't even care.
    Once you have the base level qualification, it comes down to relevant experience for that particular job, and achievements in previous employment/education.
    I work in science and I'd often see PhDs working alongside people with only a level 8.

That being said, a PhD is essential for a lot of research positions, but outside of academia, commercial labs seem to hold a higher value on commercial experience

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Tarzana wrote: »
    That doesn't make their education valueless.

Not valueless. Just not quite as valuable as if it was a stand out achievement.

A senior academic from NUIG wrote a letter to the editor years ago about this very topic. They are not scrutinizing the students to choose to top candidates to do these post docs. Anybody with a certain grade can be accepted, if there's places on offer. And let's face it, when lecturers are giving out exam tips, doing a Degree in Ireland consists of cramming for 2 or 3 weeks at the end of the semester.

Complete boobs can do a Post Doc. When these boobs get hired into jobs and fall apart, it will make an Irish Masters or PhD look like garbage

• Advertisement

Level 8 (BSc, "only" a 2.2), pending level 9.

Submitted my MSc dissertation in April and should find out the result of that at the end of this month. I only need 50% in the dissertation to pass and even that would still give me 60% (a merit/2.1) in my MSc overall but I'm not taking anything for granted so am gonna be on tenterhooks all month. Originally I was supposed to have the dissertation completed last year and should have graduated in December but illness/personal problems got in the way, as they often did during my BSc. :(

Education is extremely valuable and a great achievement for the candidate regardless if it is the leaving cert or a PhD.
    Wompa1 wrote: »

Complete boobs can do a Post Doc. When these boobs get hired into jobs and fall apart, it will make an Irish Masters or PhD look like garbage

Again a post doc is a job you get after a PhD, its post grad you mean.

Boobs can do PhD's?? Its obvious you haven't done one if you think they are just handed out, its takes a massive amount of work, dedication, self motivation and knowledge of the field all while earning very small money while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Education is hugely important in terms of personal development, no matter what field you choose to study or how you choose to study, whether it be from Junior Infant level to PhD, apprenticeship to professional body qualifications, even self-education -

Education helps you progress in life.

Personal Development? I learned that third level was much easier than second level and if you can cram, you can succeed. Also, if you're a bully (not me but some of the mature students) you can manipulate lecturers for your own gain.

A degree, A Masters or some PhD's are just a foot in the door, it's a required qualification for certain jobs. Nothing more, nothing less. (obviously some PhD's are highly valuable like Medicine)

If you get a Masters or PhD, get a job and then aren't able for it, which, by the way, you might not be because our colleges are so far behind Industry in quite a few disciplines, you'll drown.

If you've never worked a job in your life (some students haven't outside of a few months in the summer) and you have your masters and get a job. You may lack the social skills required to deal with customers, clients or whoever you report to. In which case, that PhD and college didn't develop you into a capable worker.

The majority of the people I know who went and did a PhD went on to a research position within the University they got their PhD from. Continuing the circle jerk of the Irish third level system. Producing findings which will get countered in a few years and selectively referenced by policy makers when it supports their agenda. Take a look at the Education Minster and the number of times he cites studies carried out by Irish Universities and they are Grade A Bullsh1t.

But whatever, we're the a-holes paying for this club built by politicians who are former lecturers and teacher themselves. Many are set to never to leave the cosy walls of the University, never to work in an environment that demands results and innovation.

And all of this will get backlash, because I bet a lot of people on Boards have a Masters and a PhD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 jackwillson772

Level 8

Mr.S wrote: »
    Err what happens if you have someone who has relevant experience AND a masters/ PhD (which most people do).

Obviously if you do an undergrad and then jump straight into a masters and come out the other end looking for a job with no working experience you'll be worse off then someone who has an undergrad and a few years in a job.

But most people would do their undergrad, work a few years and then do a masters.

I would disagree with that, I find most people go straight from undergrad to post grad (I did anyway)

My point is that if two people go for a job, Person A has a level 8 degree, a PhD and 3 years experience and Person B has a level 8 degree and 7+ years experience, that 4 extra years of working experience is going to a massive plus, especially if you're good at your job and have a list of successes and achievements from it.

Further down the line, I imagine the PhD would hold more value, 20 years experience + a doctorate looks better than 24 years experience, but by that stage you're probably not bringing CVs to job interviews but going through the "hidden job market"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Level 8 (officially) as of about 2 hours ago.

nibtrix wrote: »
    You have to sacrifice a lot of time to it, but I think many people would be able for it.

No financial support, you're right about that!!

Actually many people don't have the energy/will power for it.
    It can be extremely exhausting. You time is limited, alot less people are able for it than you might think. (not a bad thing, degrees aren't for everyone.)

__
    I was tempted to work part time and study part-time.
    But financially I'm better off studying full time.

I admire people who can work full time and study. It shows strength and real want to change your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Finished school on 6th April (many moons ago)aged 14 began work in factory as machinist on the 9th April. Also worked weekends as waitresss in hotel.

I would disagree with that, I find most people go straight from undergrad to post grad (I did anyway)

My point is that if two people go for a job, Person A has a level 8 degree, a PhD and 3 years experience and Person B has a level 8 degree and 7+ years experience, that 4 extra years of working experience is going to a massive plus, especially if you're good at your job and have a list of successes and achievements from it.

They may (and some employers certainly do) look on the person with the PhD as having more potential though and see an extra few months in getting them up to speed as being more beneficial in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I admire people who can work full time and study. It shows strength and real want to change your circumstances.
    I never looked on it as strength but more a case of needs must. I went to college only after working for several years. A degree and finally a PhD opened up my career but I had to support my family, so working full time was the only option. I stayed in the same job afterwards but ended at a level I could never have imaged, thanks to that study. All in all it was well worth it and my family gained immensely from it.

Advertisement