Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What level of education have you achieved?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

2011 wrote: »
    Over 70% of those that took part in the poll claim to have a level 8 qualification or higher.
    Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

I don't believe that for a minute.

Level 8 is a degree. I'd well believe 70% of boards users have that.

The above level 9 category seems quite high, but maybe the boards user-ship isn't indicative of the general populace?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Tarzana wrote: »
    The above level 9 category seems quite high, but maybe the boards user-ship isn't indicative of the general populace?
    Well, this thread wasn't really going to attract an unbiased sample of respondents.

And then, of course, there are the out-and-out liers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The mechanism is just a number of steps. Enzyme catalyses the conversion of one molecule to another. Just learn the enzyme and substrate name. Draw out the structures to remember them and look at the reaction mechanism if you want but that's all memory.

Where intelligence comes in imo is the elucidation of these pathways without prior knowledge. I.e. discovering a pathway and determining the structures using spectroscopy NMR, absorbance or mass spec.

Dog with a bone, as always. Both take a lot of effort and thought to fully understand. It isn't all memory for the first. Anyway, lets move on, nobody gives a shíte about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, this thread wasn't really going to attract an unbiased sample of respondents.

How does your level of education or lack thereof make you biased? It's not like the poll is going to have any kind of effect on anything. There is no incentive for "bias".

And why would anyone lie on an anonymous online discussion forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    How does your level of education or lack thereof make you biased? It's not like the poll is going to have any kind of effect on anything. There is no incentive for "bias".

I think a more salient point is that the poll only reflects the results provided by those who chose to respond, honest or not, and for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Leaving Cert, it was a struggle to stay and do it because of bullying at the schoold but I stuck it out and got one honour.

Leaving Cert, it was a struggle to stay and do it because of bullying at the schoold but I stuck it out and got one honour.

Well done. I hope things have improved since. School can be rotten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He means people who have one may be more naturally attracted to the thread in the first place so there is more bias than if you pick people off the street and ambush them with the question
    Plus that it's on an internet forum which is already not representative of general pop

bluewolf wrote: »
    He means people who have one may be more naturally attracted to the thread in the first place so there is more bias than if you pick people off the street and ambush them with the question

I dont see any justification for such a deduction, but fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Just finished a Level 6, hoping to be accepted into a level 8 in September.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »

Indeed. I remember with hatred the b1tches in my school who made my life miserable. Typical all girls school, stuck up snobby cows. Wonder how they are getting on now in the real world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I dont see any justification for such a deduction, but fair enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

endacl wrote: »

Thanks. Yes they have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Just finished a Level 6, hoping to be accepted into a level 8 in September.

Congratulations:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

People with level 8 and above are outliers. :pac:

Pherekydes wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

For years I only had just the leaving cert. But currently unemployed and last year I did a college course. It's worth 60 ECTS and think it was a level 6 course.

... still hasn't helped me get a job. Same goes for most people from the course. Pssh.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little accuracy for the sake of a terrible, terrible pun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Mine is over 9000...

Oh no wait, that's my power level!

Well now, I didn't call them dim, did I? ;)
    Really? A lot of PhD candidates I've worked with and met are very unwhelming in the intellect department. I'd have mind-numbingly dull conversations at lunchtime with the bunch I used to work with. Most conversation revolved around celeb gossip, soaps and make-up and god help you if you try to steer the conversation to something even remotely thought-provoking.

I mean, lunchtime is relaxation time and stuff like the above is grand is moderation but this was all. the. frickin. time.

A lot of them would able to focus on their project but seemed to lack a greater intellectual curiosity or something.
    I found these people incredibly dull to talk to.

From my own experience (anecdotal but not insignificant either), PhD candidates, very determined but no great shakes intellectually.

It was the gist!

We won't fall out over it though. ;)

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    It was the gist!

We won't fall out over it though. ;)

Can't help but feel insulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

2011 wrote: »
    Congratulations you have just demonstrated how inadequate our education system is.

Despite the fact that you are so highly qualified you seem lack the capability to grasp the very simple point that I have made.
    Wo...! :eek:

Maybe some people are lying (although as someone else asked, why bother on an anonymous poll?) but this forum isn't a snapshot of society in general; its demographic is largely comprised of university-goers/graduates.

Magaggie wrote: »
    Maybe some people are lying (although as someone else asked, why bother on an anonymous poll?)
    I wasn't really suggesting that people were lying...

Oh.....looks back at post 184 and scratches head....

Oh.....looks back at post 184 and scratches head....

Post 200 might help explain what I was going for then.

Post 200 might help explain what I was going for then.

Ah yes, the classic. Make a statement and then retract via the "I was joooookiiiiiiiiiiiing" mechanism. I get now what you were "going for".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Education doesn't mean sh1t, the country hands out Masters and PhD's to any old Tom, Dick and Harry.

Some of the dumbest people I've met have multiple degrees and post docs

Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I didn't mean you, I meant 2011 as that's what they seemed to be implying: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90756927&postcount=167

How many people actually sit through multiple undergraduate degree programmes? I don't think I would have the energy for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't think memorising facts is intelligence.

I 100% agree.
    During my undergrad, I protested this to a lecturer. How can you tell a person knows about something if they just recall it from short term memory?

We had to do a presentation in French. Most people were able to memorise the first word to the last. I am not able to do this. Ill be able to tell you everything on that page, but in my own way.

I was proud of myself-that I could actually speak french (know words/grammar, how to create a sentence), not just memorise the words on a page and not know the meaning.

So, waiting outside the presentation, one girl ahead of me (who was able to memorise the entire page) asks me "OMG - I dont know my ID number (to announce at start of presentation) in French, can you translate it for me?

No.

Advertisement