Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Numbers coming home from Australia?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Actually the current duopoly leaves the suppliers with fewer outlets and the buyers then dictates range and quality by what's most profitable.

More buyers is better for producers. I remember the scare tactics used against MacDonald's when they first entered Ireland, the constant scrutiny that they were subjected actually greatly improved higene and quality standards that ironically ended up closing a few imcumbants.
    The same nonsense is been thrown at aldi now, Aussie grown means nothing in Coles/woolies when they import prebake bread from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I agree that people will also be flooding to and from oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

catbear wrote: »
    A damp day in Ireland won't kill you whereas oz has crocs, sunburn, sharks, ripcurls, bushfires, stingrays, snakes, spiders, women who look like men, angry drunks, racist rednecks, more religious freaks than Ireland, crap beer, crap food................

What the fook am I still doing here?

Oh yeah, the money.

The food in Australia was brilliant I thought, and well priced despite what so many people love to claim (Sydney at least, you would pay an arm and two legs for a burger in Perth). I would murder half my family for another meat pie from hamlets in Manly. Laksa too, its borderline impossible to find any at all in Ireland.

You are right about the beer though, only so much of that ultra fizzy crap I can handle. Pure Blonde wasn't that bad (but wasn't exactly great), and the rest... ugh. Also despite how much I loved the place (couldn't get my 457 visa once they clamped down in 2012, which is why I came back... off to Canada in a few weeks!). That and the ruby league obsession, two thins I just could not understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lot of hate for Australia here.

Give me walking down to work at 5am, lovely warm air, kookaburras, parrakeets and cockatoos chirping, cackling and squawking in the air, doing an honest days work for an honest days pay, and finished work, and bobbing up and down in the waves of manly beach by 2pm over my 9-6 here anyway.

I was offered a decent job back in Oz on the western coast a year and a half ago, sadly my wife's a home bird. So it's not so sunny Ireland for me. :mad:

And for those complaining about the ozzie beer.

Coopers. That is all.

You cant be serious.
    You mean sausages that taste like dog food, very few butcher shops, only biscuits they have are tim tams etc
    First, pods. Snickers pods. If you do not like them, you need to have your tongue removed.

The lack of decent pork sausages and pudding is disappointing, but on the plus side you get Turkish bread sandwiches... that stuff is just awesome. The seafood is leagues ahead of almost anything on offer here across the board, their cheeses are quality (lack of red cheddar aside), their Italian and greek foods are also great from all the immigrants there, same wit Lebanese and Indian food. And the choice and quality of Asian food is out of this world. As much as Ireland as come on leaps and bounds (and still is) with having a high quality range of foods in the last 10 or 12 years, it is better over there in my opinion, and is considerably easier to ave a satisfying and affordable healthy diet (in Sydney, at least).

You can (or in 2012, could) but a kilo of quality fillet steak for about $22 in Paddys Market in Sydney on the weekends, and a kilo or most fruit and veg for $2 or less, as well being able to et some really strange/exotic stuff pretty cheap too.

I will not even et started on Breadtop.

The cost of limes over there completely baffles me, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^22 dollaridoos for a kg of fillet steak is amazing, hows the quality?

Give me walking down to work at 5am, lovely warm air, kookaburras, parrakeets and cockatoos chirping, cackling and squawking in the air, doing an honest days work for an honest days pay, and finished work, and bobbing up and down in the waves of manly beach by 2pm over my 9-6 here anyway.
    AND THE INVINCIBLE FLIES WHO WILL SWARM AROUND YOUR FACE AND MAKE YOU FECKLESSLY AT THEM SO FRANTICALLY THAT YOU PROBABLY LOOK LIKE A CRACKHEAD TO PASSERS BY!!! :mad:

Was not mad on Cooper either to be honest; more or less all the Aussie brands struck me as much of a muchness.

^^^22 dollaridoos for a kg of fillet steak is amazing, hows the quality?

Its not the best fillet steak you will ever have, but it is still good quality and especially for the price (usually as some of that lovely marbled fat in there too)... you would be hard pressed to find better value for money for any cut of meat anywhere in the whole country. The thing is I assume the steak would cost more on Saturday, and possibly early on Sunday, but you run the chance of it being sold out if you leave it too late, and the place is a completely packed madhouse just before closing. If you live anywhere from Darling harbour to Ultimo it is probably worth your while dropping in once or twice over the weekend to check it out.

There is a seafood place in the small shopping centre above Paddys that has some really good stuff on occasion too, back corner beside the Asian supermarket, well worth checking out. Apparently most of the restaurants around the area (and there are loads of them) do their shopping there, in Paddys, and in of course in the fish market.

The thing is timing and luck though... Paddys is closed Mon, Tues and Wednesday, so the best time to go is Sunday afternoon when they are desperately trying to get rid of everything left (you can get an absolute tonne of fruit and veg, and the steak for under fifty dollars).

I was also able to find lobsters in the fish market for $3 or $4 dollars each. If you are smart with your money in Sydney, it can go a long, long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Billy86 wrote: »

Was not mad on Cooper either to be honest; more or less all the Aussie brands struck me as much of a muchness.

Ah man. Coopers sparkling ale ftw. OBriens do it here. My beer of choice it is simply delicious. :D

• Advertisement

Ah man. Coopers sparkling ale ftw. OBriens do it here. My beer of choice it is simply delicious. :D

Interesting you mention availibility, last time in Ireland Dunne's had beerlao, can't get it here but it was still cheaper than the local crap in australia.
    I think they superchill their beer so tastebuds are numbed sufficiently to mask the lack of taste. Gassy piss you wouldn't give a dingo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

I often wonder what do the natives of Melbourne/Sydney/Perth etc think of all these unskilled Irish mingers shacking up there. I rarely hear things from their perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Have you heard their prime minister? I'll let him speak for himself.

And he is now the elected Prime Minister!

Giving out about immigrants...and he a £10 Pom himself.

ewinslet wrote: »
    I often wonder what do the natives of Melbourne/Sydney/Perth etc think of all these unskilled Irish mingers shacking up there. I rarely hear things from their perspective.
    I've been told I was very welcome in Perth and more of my kind were needed as there were too many blacks. Classy place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Coopers is nice stuff, and am partial to Boags. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

By natives do you mean the aboriginals? Cause everyone else is an immigrant or at least their great great grandparents were.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    By natives do you mean the aboriginals? Cause everyone else is an immigrant or at least their great great grandparents were.

Surely there are people born there and consider it their proper home.

Imagine saying that at a black American?

It's a pretty racist thing to say. Slagging off someone because their great grand parents did not come from the place were they themselves were born.

Surely there are people born there and consider it their proper home.
    It's only since 1967 that the "natives" were allowed a vote in their own land that they'd occupied for 40,000 years. So on a scale of native title white Europeans are still blow ins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Interesting you mention availibility, last time in Ireland Dunne's had beerlao, can't get it here but it was still cheaper than the local crap in australia.
    I think they superchill their beer so tastebuds are numbed sufficiently to mask the lack of taste. Gassy piss you wouldn't give a dingo.
    You can get Beer Lao in Dan Murphy's. Not sure what the craft beer scene is like in Perth (probably **** but thats Perth for you) but there is a huge craft beer scene in Sydney, at least in places like Surry Hills and Paddington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I found it an interesting experience in Canada to be told by a Native Canadian to "Go Home".
    I considered it similar to someone saying "Brits Out" in Ireland with all its complexity but acknowledging there is an issue.
    I dont know why Irish people dont think of the people who were colonised and the genocide that happened in order to clear the land for whites like us, some of it during the same time periods as some of the colonisation in Ireland.
    The issues of aboriginal peoples are quite simular to those in the North of Ireland with people currently looking for civil rights and acknowledgement and retribution for injustices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I was offered a decent job back in Oz on the western coast a year and a half ago, sadly my wife's a home bird. So it's not so sunny Ireland for me. :mad:

And for those complaining about the ozzie beer.

Coopers. That is all.

I like Coopers and their stout is good also .I was just shocked by the beer prices even for a take away from a bottle shop in Aus when there 2 years.
    ago .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Has anybody else noticed a lot coming home from Oz lately? I often wonder to myself how many will actually stay away in different countries

2 year visa expired

Zambia wrote: »
    Imagine saying that at a black American?

It's a pretty racist thing to say. Slagging off someone because their great grand parents did not come from the place were they themselves were born.
    It's a different story when grandparents had no rights or representation in their native land, now that is more than words, that's racism in action.
    The apology is not the end, it's only the beginning of the reconciliation.

It's a different story when grandparents had no rights or representation in their native land, now that is more than words, that's racism in action.
    The apology is not the end, it's only the beginning of the reconciliation.

What is the end ?

What is the end ?

A non racist Australia doh!

A non racist Australia doh!

And how is that measured?

I found pretty much everyone in Sydney I met was really friendly and had no issue with me being Irish.

Almost everyone Irish I met over there who complained about the Australians opinions of them were the type who were proud as possible about spending every spare moment in "County Bondi", every night in the Cock and Bull, Scruffy Murphys and other Iris pubs, only hung around with other Irish people (and in hostels would actively go about only interacting with Irish or Scottish people, and maybe some English/Welsh), worked for Irish people, complained endlessly about anything that was different from Ireland (though beef sausages are justified... pure mank, like eating hot cardboard) and insisted on constantly getting loud and langered drunk in a country were that is actually frowned upon in many places for the most part. Little wonder they felt the Aussies were not fond of them, and just comical when it was someone who complained about Polish, Muslims, etc not interacting enough over here (or referred to Asians/Arabs in Australia as "foreigners").

And how is that measured?
    If you're Australian just consult your constitution.

That's a ridiculous answer

That's a ridiculous answer
    I bet you wouldn't say that to Adam Goode's face.

• Advertisement

I bet you wouldn't say that to Adam Goode's face.

Here is a quote from Mr Goode
    [“First of all, Aboriginal people have been here a lot longer than anybody else, so just remember whose lands you are on and maybe pay a little bit more respect to that,’’ he said.

Let's change the setting to Ireland in reference to new African migrants.
    “First of all, White people have been here a lot longer than anybody else, so just remember whose lands you are on and maybe pay a little bit more respect to that,’’ he said.

Can you imagine a white person saying that?

But we digress so I assume when section 25 of the constitution is amended then Australia will not be racist in your eyes?

So do you think Adam Goode is being (to use your word) ridiculous?

Is there a similar racial article in the Irish constitution?

E-mail recognise.org.au and tell them they're been ridiculous and that racist attitudes in Ireland or elsewhere justifies constitutional racism against aboriginals in their own land. Let me know how you get on.

I asked you this question.

When would you consider Australia not a racist country, asking me to read the constitution and guess what you are thinking is a ridiculous answer.

I asked you this question.

When would you consider Australia not a racist country asking me to read the constitution and guess what you are thinking is a ridiculous answer.
    Is there punctuation missing in that sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

As certain as death and taxes, catbear turning up on any thread where Australia is mentioned to bag everything from the food to Perth to the prices to the racist Aussies.

FFS, you & jon jo should start a we hate Australia club & send each emails about how awful it is.

Is there punctuation missing in that sentence?

It's a simple question if you want something to change you need to define that change?

If you don't know just admit that.

It's a simple question if you want something to change you need to define that change?

If you don't know just admit that.
    You asked about change, I cited change.org.au which you stated was ridiculous.

You insinuated Adam Goode was racist by reframing his quote in an Irish context which ignores the differences in these constitutions, which lies at the heart of what he was saying.

So I'm guessing you're one keyboard warrior who won't be supporting recognise.org.au. Preserving the status quo can allow another groundless "intervention".

You asked about change, I cited change.org.au which you stated was ridiculous.

You insinuated Adam Goode was racist by reframing his quote in an Irish context which ignores the differences in these constitutions, which lies at the heart of what he was saying.

So I'm guessing you're one keyboard warrior who won't be supporting change.org.au. Preserving the status quo can allow another groundless "intervention".

You mean this one?
    http://www.change.org.au

You mean this one?
    http://www.change.org.au
    Yes, recognise.org.au. I was vexed. But change is required.

• Advertisement

As certain as death and taxes, catbear turning up on any thread where Australia is mentioned to bag everything from the food to Perth to the prices to the racist Aussies.

FFS, you & jon jo should start a we hate Australia club & send each emails about how awful it is.
    As the good christian tony abbot said, Australia is not for everyone, not even the natives!

Yes, recognise.org.au. I was vexed. But change is required.

Ok in your words what change?

Ok in your words what change?
    Not ridiculing Adam Goode would be a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Well this thread certainly took a strange turn from the way it started.

Not ridiculing Adam Goode would be a good start.

What change can Australia make so you will not see it as a racist country?

desultory wrote: »
    Well this thread certainly took a strange turn from the way it started.

I can only apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This is a typical example of people who want to stop Australia being a 'racist' (whatever that means) country by failing to specify clearly and exactly what change is required and how it will help.

Changing the constitution may be a step in that direction but what will it actually change on the ground? Aboriginal leaders whenever I have heard them always talk about their culture, their freedom of mind and freedom as a people. That is fine, nobody wants to see a people suffer but again they fail to specify exactly what they want. They are great at tugging at the heart strings and taking about things that are intangible, impossible to measure.

It seems on the face of it they want their cake and eat it. They want to return to their traditional way of life which is basically a hunter and gathering lifestyle but then they want all the trappings of a modern society (modern medicine, housing, electricity) and of course get others to pay for it. Anytime one mentions the huge problems their communities have with alcohol, domestic abuse, substance abuse and child abuse they are sneered at and pointed out as a racist of some sort. People need to get real and face facts.

My own personal opinion is that aboriginals can do what they want, its their lives and I will not be telling them how to live their lives. However, stop over playing the 'white guilt' card and take personal responsibility for your own people, and make whatever lifestyle and cultural choices you make sustainable in the long run without having to basically be a drain on the tax system.

It is a complicated issue but simple answers from people like car bear and john pillager remind me of the same do gooders that thought it was OK to take babies from their mothers to raise them 'white'. The state continues to interfere in these affairs and as usual does more harm then good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

We're all immigrants, humans originated from Central Africa and migrated to the other continents. The Aboriginals just got there first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

We do thrive on complaining, don't we.

People who go to Australia and talk about nothing other than how great it is and crapping on Ireland are likely homesick and talking crap about Australia within their group of Irish friends over there.

People in Ireland complaining about Australians, are likely just jealous of the fact they have sunshine and a decent economy.

Don't worry, if you're not in Australia, you're not missing out. You'd be hanging out with the same kind of people you do back home and complaining just as much.

Advertisement