Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Banks are interested in ability to pay the mortgage. If your savings plus rent or savings by themselves are more than what your repayment would be that's what they care about. Obviously savings matter in terms of deposit or cash on top of mortgage but in terms of amount of savings per month that's what they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Silly question - can you start getting things like flooring, tiling etc. done as soon as it's ready for snagging, or only after snagging has been completed and you get keys at drawdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NearlyForty

Banks are interested in ability to pay the mortgage. If your savings plus rent or savings by themselves are more than what your repayment would be that's what they care about. Obviously savings matter in terms of deposit or cash on top of mortgage but in terms of amount of savings per month that's what they're looking for.

Thanks! I thought as much. It’s always good to clarify

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Well more than the stretch repayment. So they will estimate what your repayment will be if interest rates go up.

Also I think it is good to have a regular monthly amount even if it varies weekly and to not dip into savings. It shows you have that same extra repayment capacity each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying for Mortgages and I thought that some might find this handy. Rather than using the Mortgage calculator every time I search I just enter the latest interest and she auto calculates.

These should be the most recent interest rates on the market as of this week.

The first table is interest rates per fixed term
    The second table is the monthly repayments for the same Mortgage of 198000 Eur as an example.
    The third table shows the cheapest option however, there are some loyalty rates that for example UB and KBC offer which are not included.

I thought I had uploaded this already. My apologies.

The first table is the interest rates per fixed term. I sourced the information from Bonkers.ie and plugged the rates into the corresponding bank row and Fixed rate year Column. The rest should auto calculate and show the cheapest option down at the bottom. Interest rates may have changed since I updated on Monday.

The second table shows the monthly repayment for the corresponding Interest rate. This may change at the end of the term. None of this takes into account offers with some mortgages (cash back etc..) but this may be accounted for in the the column on the right. One may add any cash intensives to the savings box on yellow.

Change the yellow boxes to suit your own situation. Hope it is helpful. The figures in the attached are not reflective of my situation and are purely fictional. Please let me know if you have any questions on the attached. Its fairly simple.

I myself and about to make an offer on a property next week but I dont know how much I should offer. I dont believe the Guide price of 280,000 is fair when comparing to other houses in the area. Seems to high to me.

Slight change to sheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Fair play on doing up the table. What term are you looking at for these calculations?

Sorry Joe I was Away from Keyboard for a while there. I just uploaded a spreadsheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Does anyone have any experience of buying a house in probate? I know to expect long delays so I'm prepared for that. But do I just sit tight in the dark about it, or should I be following up with someone to ensure it's being dealt with as quickly as possible?

My solicitor just said she would let me know when she received contracts, and that was nearly 4 weeks ago. I suppose she won't receive them until probate is granted though. The estate agent said probate had only been applied for 2 weeks before the sale was agreed, and was talking about it being expedited due to being sale agreed. But I'm aware this practice isn't being carried out any more by the probate office. Should I be asking the EA for any update on expected timeline? Or does my solicitor look for information? Or is it just a case of sit and wait in the dark about it for 4-6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Does anyone have any experience of buying a house in probate? I know to expect long delays so I'm prepared for that. But do I just sit tight in the dark about it, or should I be following up with someone to ensure it's being dealt with as quickly as possible?

My solicitor just said she would let me know when she received contracts, and that was nearly 4 weeks ago. I suppose she won't receive them until probate is granted though. The estate agent said probate had only been applied for 2 weeks before the sale was agreed, and was talking about it being expedited due to being sale agreed. But I'm aware this practice isn't being carried out any more by the probate office. Should I be asking the EA for any update on expected timeline? Or does my solicitor look for information? Or is it just a case of sit and wait in the dark about it for 4-6 months?

Contracts can take some time anyway to issue depending on the house - when the family is selling, they may have limited info on things like extensions etc as family may not know and extra info is needed and requested. However if it’s an house in an estate I would think that’s straightforward.

Most applications in probate office are because family are selling a house so application won’t go faster if it’s highlighted as everyone is in same boat. There isn’t anything you can do or need to do.

However depends on where the probate has been submitted. Cork is around 9 months at the moment. Anyone can submit to Dublin office and Dublin office and they have had some increases in staff so takes around 4-5 months if probate office have no queries. Other counties may be quicker (as less busy) so really depends on where it was submitted.

If it is Dublin and your curious on timeline, Dublin office is great cause you can actually ring up probate office and they have a recorded message that lets you know what month they are in relation to dealings submitted. We had to do a probate for family member last year and did the application ourselves as there wasn’t a house involved. I was able to keep track on when I could expect the probate or queries by ringing up and checking the recoded message. If you goggle it, phone number will be courts website.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I thought I had uploaded this already. My apologies.

The first table is the interest rates per fixed term. I sourced the information from Bonkers.ie and plugged the rates into the corresponding bank row and Fixed rate year Column. The rest should auto calculate and show the cheapest option down at the bottom. Interest rates may have changed since I updated on Monday.

The second table shows the monthly repayment for the corresponding Interest rate. This may change at the end of the term. None of this takes into account offers with some mortgages (cash back etc..) but this may be accounted for in the the column on the right. One may add any cash intensives to the savings box on yellow.

Change the yellow boxes to suit your own situation. Hope it is helpful. The figures in the attached are not reflective of my situation and are purely fictional. Please let me know if you have any questions on the attached. Its fairly simple.

I myself and about to make an offer on a property next week but I dont know how much I should offer. I dont believe the Guide price of 280,000 is fair when comparing to other houses in the area. Seems to high to me.

Slight change to sheet

Thanks so much for sharing. Comparing rates can be a headache at moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Silly question - can you start getting things like flooring, tiling etc. done as soon as it's ready for snagging, or only after snagging has been completed and you get keys at drawdown?

There are no silly questions.

Flooring etc is after snagging. Snagging is when the builder is saying the house is ready, and you come in and point out the last bits and bobs that they missed or you are not happy about. You then give them a few weeks to sort them out, come back, have a second look, hopefully all is grand, you sign it off, give the thumbs up, and then get your keys.

After that you can get the flooring in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

We got gazzumped on a house in March that was a probate sale.

It's still sale agreed.

Back in April/May, we were in the area so decided to drive past and could see the family in the house, moving furniture out, touching up the outside, clearly getting it ready for handover. But theres been no movement since.

Speaking to a friend of the agent, everyone thought it would be quick enough sale, but there's apparently a few issues (house was built on the land several decades ago and the boundaries don't look in order so it appears that part of the second house's garden is actually part of the sale)

You could ask for updates, might be worth seeing if any major issues have been uncovered, but definitely expect it to take longer than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

wally79 wrote: »
    Well more than the stretch repayment. So they will estimate what your repayment will be if interest rates go up.

Also I think it is good to have a regular monthly amount even if it varies weekly and to not dip into savings. It shows you have that same extra repayment capacity each month.

Would they take into account the likes of ESPS into it? My savings rate is quite low but I've been doing 10% gross (taken from net) since January

Thanks for the replies Dolbhad and ChewBerecca. It's a house in an estate and everything looks to be straightforward in terms of possible planning issues etc, but you never know. It's the Dublin probate office. I phoned earlier to check for a recorded message about timelines but it just said phone lines are currently closed - maybe it only plays during opening hours. I'm ok with the delay in terms of holding on where I am and it is definitely the house I want, but it just feels weird that you go sale agreed, get everything organised in terms of survey, insurance etc and then just wait with no further info for 6 months. Hopefully it will be sorted before the loan offer expires in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

cefh17 wrote: »
    Would they take into account the likes of ESPS into it? My savings rate is quite low but I've been doing 10% gross (taken from net) since January

You mean an ESPP? An employee stock purchase plan? That would count as savings yes, you'll just need to get a statement from E-TRADE or whatever brokerage your company uses

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi all. Just wondering how likely it would be for someone to be approved for a mortgage at the age of 41 or 42 as a single applicant, first time buyer.
    I'm late to the game I know but would have no dependents ( both children will be over 18 by the time I apply), no outstanding loans and I am aiming for a deposit of approximately €20k. My current salary is €37k.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi all. Just wondering how likely it would be for someone to be approved for a mortgage at the age of 41 or 42 as a single applicant, first time buyer.
    I'm late to the game I know but would have no dependents ( both children will be over 18 by the time I apply), no outstanding loans and I am aiming for a deposit of approximately €20k. My current salary is €37k.

I presume it would depend on how much your looking for ,Also it would be for 23 years as opposed to normal 30-35 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

How long does it usually take for vendors solicitor to send contracts to buyers solicitor?

waiting over 2 weeks now, no chain on either side. we will only be signing our letter of offer with our solicitor when the contracts are to hand.

Just want to get it wrapped up asap, still have mortgage protection and home insurance (sorted valuation) to get sorted but been told to wait for contracts first.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    How long does it usually take for vendors solicitor to send contracts to buyers solicitor?

waiting over 2 weeks now, no chain on either side. we will only be signing our letter of offer with our solicitor when the contracts are to hand.

Just want to get it wrapped up asap, still have mortgage protection and home insurance (sorted valuation) to get sorted but been told to wait for contracts first.

5 weeks for our solicitor to get the contracts, no chain either.

Be prepared for the long haul just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Age would restrict the term of the mortgage, but as long as you meet all the criteria you should be fine.

5 weeks for our solicitor to get the contracts, no chain either.

Be prepared for the long haul just incase.

Did u wait for contracts before sorting mortgage protection?

And how many weeks (after the 5 waiting for contracts) did u have to wait before drawdown and getting the keys?

• Advertisement

Your age won't stop you getting a mortgage if you meet the other criteria. But it will be for a shorter term which will mean monthly repayments will be higher which could affect it when they stress test your repayment capacity. I'm recently mortgage approved as a single FTB in my late 30s with the mortgage to run til I'm 67. I've heard others say they only allow until you're 65, so it may depend on the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

Your age won't stop you getting a mortgage if you meet the other criteria. But it will be for a shorter term which will mean monthly repayments will be higher which could affect it when they stress test your repayment capacity. I'm recently mortgage approved as a single FTB in my late 30s with the mortgage to run til I'm 67. I've heard others say they only allow until you're 65, so it may depend on the bank.

my wife and i were approved with PTSB ,She will 38 when we draw down so they gave us a 29 year mortgage so they are good for the 67

oleard1987 wrote: »
    my wife and i were approved with PTSB ,She will 38 when we draw down so they gave us a 29 year mortgage so they are good for the 67

And I'm approved with Ulster Bank, so they're ok with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Anything up to 8 weeks is considered in a normal timeframe. Ours took 7 which was partly due to solicitor annual leave and we couldn't sign until 9 weeks. It's a pity because there's a map issue and it wasted a load of time.

Another possible delay in contracts is if the deeds are held by a non-major bank/building society they can be significantly slower to release deeds if they are not requested until sale agreed.

Did u wait for contracts before sorting mortgage protection?

And how many weeks (after the 5 waiting for contracts) did u have to wait before drawdown and getting the keys?

I had the insurances applied for just before we signed, policy start dates closer to the closing date. The mortgage protection insurance took a few days to be approved and then another week or two for the bank to assign the policy. Get that sorted as soon as you sign if you want to close quickly.

Our drawdown request went in yesterday, we are expecting keys before the end of the week.

Just to note, offer submitted May, sale agreed June, signed August. Hoping to be done before September ends. Solicitor holidays on both sides have been chronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Looking for some advice as im not having much luck online.

We'll be starting the process of applying again towards the end of the year (got approval last year but were unable to find somewhere suitable)

We currently have a tracker on existing property, approx €205k remaining on mortgage, comparative properties in estate sold for between €230 and €240 so there is a bit of equity. Mortgage provider agreed to port tracker over to new house + 1% and the remainder of new mortgage on standard rates.

The issue is that we have to find somewhere to buy and also find a buyer for own at the same time which is what scuppered us the last approval.

My question is, ball park, how much would the retaining the tracker save us over the life time of the mortgage vs selling up and going for full amount of new loan on standard average rates?

We have approx €50k in savings currently, combined salaries are around €155k, both permanent jobs with decent pensions.

We will have to get an exemption for the deposit. Price range of properties we will be looking at will be between €500 and €600k.

I'm not looking for absolutes or anything, more an indicator of whether it is worth engaging with a broker, eg if it was going to only cost us an extra €20 or €30k over the life of the mortgage it may be worth considering selling up and holding fire rather than trying to sell and buy at the same time.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

We were waiting 6 weeks for ours from the date we went sale agreed! It can be a long waiting game. Just ensure you continue to chase.

We got our home insurance and mortgage protection sorted during this time as we had our closing date in mind and went with that date.

We were waiting 6 weeks for ours from the date we went sale agreed! It can be a long waiting game. Just ensure you continue to chase.

We got our home insurance and mortgage protection sorted during this time as we had our closing date in mind and went with that date.

can i ask how you have closing date in mind when you didnt have contracts at hand?

We were sale agreed back in May/June but engineer issues (since resolved) means we agreed properly to comtinue with purchase about 4 or 5 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

KingCong wrote: »
    You mean an ESPP? An employee stock purchase plan? That would count as savings yes, you'll just need to get a statement from E-TRADE or whatever brokerage your company uses

Ulster bank wouldn't accept it as savings for the current 6 month period . Had to get a brokerage statement to clarify why a large amount was deposited in February this year to my personal account before it could go to the underwriter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not accepted for me by BOI or PTSB either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement