Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Is there any mortgage calculator that shows how paying a lump sum will affect monthly repayments?

Or how do I figure it out?

If you google amoritization calculator excel you should get plenty of excel files that will do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

Is there any mortgage calculator that shows how paying a lump sum will affect monthly repayments?

Find these quite good

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/tools-and-calculators/mortgage-calculators/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

Yeah I think you are all correct, I will hold off until I get the keys.

That's actually a good point about DFS, I was thinking of buying a new sofa soon because it takes a couple of months to make and I may have chosen to pay monthly instead of upfront because of their 0% finance offer. I may have to just pay upfront after all

You should continue to save like you have being doing even after the mortgage offer from bank. Save until the deal is complete and you have the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Google Karl Mortgage Calculator and be prepared to lose a few hours tweaking the numbers :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Realistically when could you expect to physically move into a new build after receiving the keys taking into account the need to get the place floored, painted and fitted out with beds etc, assuming you are buying 90% new everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Google Karl Mortgage Calculator and be prepared to lose a few hours tweaking the numbers :pac::pac:

how do you add the extra payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Realistically when could you expect to physically move into a new build after receiving the keys taking into account the need to get the place floored, painted and fitted out with beds etc, assuming you are buying 90% new everything?

You're not supposed to paint a timber framed new build for 12 months so no need for that expense.

Flooring, alarm and curtains/blinds are the most expensive but essential items.

We bought a washer and dryer, all other appliances came with the house.

We got a bed/mattress, couch, coffee table and dining table and chairs for moving in and got everything else slowly after, we had built on wardrobes and finished bathrooms so we didn't need much to make it habitable.
    Its nice to live in a place first to get an idea of how you want to fill it!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

We went sale agreed in May! But our 1st bank pulled out last minute due to the location of house so we had to apply to another bank. They initially refused too based on location but we had a wonderful girl working in the bank, fight for us and we were approved in November.
    There has been a good few delays with paperwork on bank side looking for changes to mortgage protection and house insurance but it finally went through.
    Has been a long road and I have been on this thread at least 2 years. It is great for advice and one piece that I will give is to keep trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

We used <SNIP> and they were excellent.

Can you PM me this recommendation? Your mailbox is full so I cant PM you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Question that some here might be able to help on.

We are sale agreed on a house at the moment. Our solicitor is waiting on contracts, but we have received our full loan offer from the Bank (i.e. our application has been fully underwritten). Obviously in the lead up to applying with the bank, and as our application was being underwritten, we watched our accounts like a hawk, making sure there was no big movements out of them. We will continue to be saving at the rate that we have done over the last 12 months until we drawdown the mortgage, however, what I am looking to get a steer on is whether we are ok to start using some of our savings now to put down deposits on furniture, white goods etc?

To be clear, the savings I am referring to is not the money we have set aside for the 10% deposit (and stamp duty/legal fees). That will remain untouched (we have applied/been approved on the basis of 90% LTV). The savings we want to dip in to is money we have saved over and above what we are relying upon for the purchase price of the house.

Our mortgage advisor gave us a bit of a wooly answer 'best not to do anything like that yet', but as I understand, we are not touching any money that the bank has underwritten our loan against and even at that, if we drawdown within 6 months (which I fully expect us to) the bank don't even request a further look at our accounts.

Can anyone who's been through the process give us a steer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sale Agreed falls through all the time. Notwithstanding anything else you've been given good advice on that alone.

Sale Agreed falls through all the time. Notwithstanding anything else you've been given good advice on that alone.

Well aware of that. The items were looking to spend on are ones that we’ll need regardless of the house we end up with and will be refundable deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Refundable deposit is ok, just let them aware of the large some and what it was payed out for, usually has the EA name on it anyway shown on your account.
    Charlie wrote: »
    Well aware of that. The items were looking to spend on are ones that we’ll need regardless of the house we end up with and will be refundable deposits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

At what stage can (should) I put a booking deposit on a new build - off plans? Is it at mortgage AIP or full approval? The house itself isn't going to be ready until early-mid 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

booking deposit is usually put down as soon as the Estate Agent wants it, and then contracts are signed 28 days later. you'll need at least a provisional AIP from a bank before an Estate Agent will accept a booking deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

We're very close to closing. We have our mortgage with PTSB and they have transferred the funds to our solicitor, but nobody has told us when the first repayment date is :confused: we signed the direct debit when we were signing the other mortgages docs and sure never took note of what date it said.

Anyone know how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

We got funds transferred and closed on the 16th of the month, our 1st payment is being collected this month on the 16th also, this is also with the PTSB.
    If you are eligible for the cashback offer, we had this transferred to the current account in 10 days, 1st payment showing on your mortgage account will not include the insurance and life cover amounts and these amounts will be confirmed in writing to ye in the few days after closing. Just add these amounts to the mortgage payment. I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Doop wrote: »
    We're very close to closing. We have our mortgage with PTSB and they have transferred the funds to our solicitor, but nobody has told us when the first repayment date is :confused: we signed the direct debit when we were signing the other mortgages docs and sure never took note of what date it said.

PTSB confirmed to us that first payment date is automatically one month after drawdown date. This can easily be changed thereafter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Doop wrote: »

1 month after the draw down date, i.e. same date the following month.

You will also have it on your banking app with PTSB that will show you when it comes out and for how much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

At what stage can (should) I put a booking deposit on a new build - off plans? Is it at mortgage AIP or full approval? The house itself isn't going to be ready until early-mid 2020

You can pay your deposit any time really, depending on demand. High demand means you got to get in there quickly. (Some EA will want proof of AIP too).

The booking deposit is fully refundable so its fine to pay it off plans and change your mind later. Don't sign any contracts without your solicitor, they will keep you right. Especially with some contractors now refusing to allow loan approval conditions. (I signed my contracts 3 or 4 months after paying the booking deposit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

Has anyone used a broker? Are you being charged a fee? Have found a decent broker but the fees are €900 - want to see if this is standard or not.

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Has anyone used a broker? Are you being charged a fee? Have found a decent broker but the fees are €900 - want to see if this is standard or not.

They better be phenomenal for that money. Are you a out of the ordinary case? Self employed etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Brokers are usually paid by the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

They better be phenomenal for that money. Are you a out of the ordinary case? Self employed etc?

The fee was advised before I even got into specifics, now my OH is in contract work with difficult employer but not overly unusual

I had thought feed were gone with brokers, I hadn’t read the fine print of using said broker until today and I seen his fee. I queried and he advised it standard across the board these days.

If anyone has any broker recommendations I’ll happily take them by pm!

Go directly to the banks. We found KBC good with the wife on contract work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Bananaleaf wrote:
    how do you add the extra payments?

Click the prepay tab on the input screen, there are a number of choices where you can overpay per months, do an annual payment, once off payment etc., Enter the month you are doing the lump sum payment,

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying for Mortgages and I thought that some might find this handy. Rather than using the Mortgage calculator every time I search I just enter the latest interest and she auto calculates.

These should be the most recent interest rates on the market as of this week.

The first table is interest rates per fixed term
    The second table is the monthly repayments for the same Mortgage of 198000 Eur as an example.
    The third table shows the cheapest option however, there are some loyalty rates that for example UB and KBC offer which are not included.

th_Mortgage%20compare.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying for Mortgages and I thought that some might find this handy. Rather than using the Mortgage calculator every time I search I just enter the latest interest and she auto calculates.

These should be the most recent interest rates on the market as of this week.

The first table is interest rates per fixed term
    The second table is the monthly repayments for the same Mortgage of 198000 Eur as an example.
    The third table shows the cheapest option however, there are some loyalty rates that for example UB and KBC offer which are not included.

th_Mortgage%20compare.jpg

This is extremely helpful. Have you got the Excel file?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Charlie wrote:
    We are sale agreed on a house at the moment. Our solicitor is waiting on contracts, but we have received our full loan offer from the Bank (i.e. our application has been fully underwritten). Obviously in the lead up to applying with the bank, and as our application was being underwritten, we watched our accounts like a hawk, making sure there was no big movements out of them. We will continue to be saving at the rate that we have done over the last 12 months until we drawdown the mortgage, however, what I am looking to get a steer on is whether we are ok to start using some of our savings now to put down deposits on furniture, white goods etc?

We stopped saving and started spending on house items and bank had no issues once you can provide up to date payslips and bank statements. They will see where your money is going and if you can afford it.

• Advertisement

GaGa21 wrote: »
    We stopped saving and started spending on house items and bank had no issues once you can provide up to date payslips and bank statements. They will see where your money is going and if you can afford it.

Do the bank automatically look for new payslips/statements at drawdown or is that time dependent? Our loan offer issued just this week and the provisional closing date is March 30th, so it would seem a little unnecessary to submit this paperwork again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement