Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Charlie wrote: »
    Do the bank automatically look for new payslips/statements at drawdown or is that time dependent? Our loan offer issued just this week and the provisional closing date is March 30th, so it would seem a little unnecessary to submit this paperwork again.

It is very unlikely that they will ask for any paper work again. Usually they would only ask if your loan offer has expired. Just bear in mind that there is a possibility for this to happen (and even then it is at the banks discretion whether to ask for more paperwork again).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

After a year of scrimping and saving we went sale agreed yesterday on a very nice house in North Dublin. It looks like its moving fast as well so we'll be in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Was supposed to close earlier this week - probably will be next week now. Losing my mind, the wait is terrible!!

Sellers should be returning contracts soon but can’t help but worry. EA and solicitor silent this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying for Mortgages and I thought that some might find this handy. Rather than using the Mortgage calculator every time I search I just enter the latest interest and she auto calculates.

These should be the most recent interest rates on the market as of this week.

The first table is interest rates per fixed term
    The second table is the monthly repayments for the same Mortgage of 198000 Eur as an example.
    The third table shows the cheapest option however, there are some loyalty rates that for example UB and KBC offer which are not included.

th_Mortgage%20compare.jpg

Fair play on doing up the table. What term are you looking at for these calculations?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Got word today that we've been approved for an exemption with PTSB on the condition I can provide a payslip following a recent promotion. This exemption will give us what we need to buy out the rest of the family for the house we're currently living in.

They're looking to send a surveyor out next week.

We've been dealing with our broker for 6 months and it felt like a never ending process. Was pushing for a promotion, got it last week with a bit of a bump in salary.

I know we still have a bit of a way to go and anything can happen but hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

just fyi - going through mortgage approval with banks at minute and BOI are now doing 2.9% for 1/2 year fixed rate for FTB ..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

whatever76 wrote: »
    just fyi - going through mortgage approval with banks at minute and BOI are now doing 2.9% for 1/2 year fixed rate for FTB .. 3/5/10 remains 3% ( includes the Cash back promo as well )

The 5 year rate is actually gone up to 3.2% and the 10 year is now 3.7% https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/mortgages/rate-table/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

oh my bad sorry - thanks for that just surprised when I heard 2.9 and missed the rest !

question What the thinking behind 1/2 year low and then increasing the 5 -10 year rate ? Just don't get logic ( clueless !) would have thought they want to lock people in longer with a more attractive rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

whatever76 wrote: »
    oh my bad sorry - thanks for that just surprised when I heard 2.9 and missed the rest !

question What the thinking behind 1/2 year low and then increasing the 5 -10 year rate ? Just don't get logic ( clueless !) would have thought they want to lock people in longer with a more attractive rate ?

The lower variable can go up

With the long term fixed you are paying more for security of rate

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

The longer a rate is fixed the more difficult it is for banks to fund the rate. With variable rates the banks can adjust as needed i.e. they can raise if they need more funds. If you fix for 10 years the bank obviously can't change your rate for that 10 years so if margins are tight after 5 years, they can't raise the rate to generate more funds. With a lower fixed rate there's less risk involved, hence rates are usually lower.

I'm no expert on bank funding though so if anyone can explain better feel free!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Looked at a house during the week and we're considering making an offer.

The house has been on the market since June, with an asking price ~335k. EA says the owners refused an offer of 305k in December.

I'm not a big believer in the idea of made up bids, but would people tend to take this at face value and simply not bother offering any less than 305k?

One thing we do have in our favour is that we're not depending on selling an existing property first, so we could buy immediately, which may be worth something (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Essien wrote: »
    I'm not a big believer in the idea of made up bids, but would people tend to take this at face value and simply not bother offering any less than 305k?

I've heard of EA's not even notifying the seller of some offers, if they are below a price that they would consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Flyingfast

Essien wrote: »
    Looked at a house during the week and we're considering making an offer.

The house has been on the market since June, with an asking price ~335k. EA says the owners refused an offer of 305k in December.

One thing we do have in our favour is that we're not depending on selling an existing property first, so we could buy immediately, which may be worth something (hopefully).

I have been in similar positions myself, there really is no right or wrong answer to your query. The most suitable piece of advice I would probably offer is simply offer the amount you are 1. happy to pay for the property and 2. what you really think the property is worth.

And don't just offer for the sake of purchasing a house, I have nearly made this mistake more than once!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

We got the keys to our new gaf this weekend after 3 years of saving this month :cool: - Thanks for all the help and advice throughout the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

raheny red wrote: »
    We got the keys to our new gaf this weekend after 3 years of saving this month :cool: - Thanks for all the help and advice throughout the thread. :)

In Raheny I hope or you'll have to change your username! :pac:

Massive congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have been sale agreed for about 3 weeks now and feels like nothing has really happened in that time. My understanding is we're waiting for the vendor (via their solicitor) to get the contracts and deeds sent to our solicitor but all the waiting is a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Have been sale agreed for about 3 weeks now and feels like nothing has really happened in that time. My understanding is we're waiting for the vendor (via their solicitor) to get the contracts and deeds sent to our solicitor but all the waiting is a killer!

Keep looking while sale agreed, but the average wait is c.4 months so don't worry just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jack_92

Keep looking while sale agreed, but the average wait is c.4 months so don't worry just yet.

I know it depends on many things, but is there any way to find out when is vendor's solicitor going to provide the contract? At what stage would any approx. expected date be known?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Jack_92 wrote: »
    I know it depends on many things, but is there any way to find out when is vendor's solicitor going to provide the contract? At what stage would any approx. expected date be known?

It varies a lot I think, but your own solicitor should keep you up to date on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

hanaimai wrote:
    The 5 year rate is actually gone up to 3.2% and the 10 year is now 3.7%

Ah sh*te we have a mortgage offer from BOI for 5 years at 3% but will need to get the mortgage offer extended as our house won't be ready for another few months.

We have already signed contracts with our solicitor, can we change banks at this stage in the process?

Ulster Bank seem to be offering 4 year fixed at 2.6%

• Advertisement

Ah sh*te we have a mortgage offer from BOI for 5 years at 3% but will need to get the mortgage offer extended as our house won't be ready for another few months.

We have already signed contracts with our solicitor, can we change banks at this stage in the process?

Ulster Bank seem to be offering 4 year fixed at 2.6%

BOI are still offering 2% cashback at drawdown though so keep that in mind.

BOI are still offering 2% cashback at drawdown though so keep that in mind.

Yeah could still have that if I draw down before the end of June but if I could switch to Ulster Bank I'd probably go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Yeah could still have that if I draw down before the end of June but if I could switch to Ulster Bank I'd probably go for it

Boi offer extended to year end. Also, make sure you're taking ltv into account as the rates quoted are for greater than 80% iirc.

Fair enough. I'm still aiming to go with BOI because the cashback up front is more valuable to me than saving it back over the fixed term. I'll be switching as soon as the term is over most likely.

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Boi offer extended to year end. Also, make sure you're taking ltv into account as the rates quoted are for greater than 80% iirc.

Brilliant, I didn't know it was extended. My mortgage is for 90% so I am in the bracket for cashback

Fair enough. I'm still aiming to go with BOI because the cashback up front is more valuable to me than saving it back over the fixed term. I'll be switching as soon as the term is over most likely.

I will do the maths and see what's better.

BOI are still offering 3% for a 3 year fixed term so I need to weigh that up against 3.2% over 5 years fixed term.

I will do the maths and see what's better.

BOI are still offering 3% for a 3 year fixed term so I need to weigh that up against 3.2% over 5 years fixed term.

Each to their own, but I intend to take advantage of my current fixed term low interest, then switch bank as soon as that is done. hopefully taking advantage of another cashback and low interest rate. And I'll do that as often as I can.

There is nothing wrong with switching bank for your own benefit as often as you can.

Food for thought.

Each to their own, but I intend to take advantage of my current fixed term low interest, then switch bank as soon as that is done. hopefully taking advantage of another cashback and low interest rate. And I'll do that as often as I can.

There is nothing wrong with switching bank for your own benefit as often as you can.

Yeah definitely if it saves a few quid each month then I'm all for it.

How much hassle is it to switch banks?

Yeah definitely if it saves a few quid each month then I'm all for it.

How much hassle is it to switch banks?

Quite easy, the bank you are switching to handles it all for you really. It is in their interest to get you on their books after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

What about the legal fees for switching banks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement