Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Boxing Thread (Dubois v Joyce & Jacobs v Rosado)

Options
  • 27-11-2020 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭

We'll leave the Tyson v Jones chat to the other thread.

Really looking forward to Dubois v Joyce. Great matchup but just think Dubois is the real deal and will have too much for Joyce who's just too hittable. First time Joyce has been in with a real good puncher in the pros and I think he'll feel the difference. Dubois in around 5 rounds I think. Could get interesting down the stretch if Joyce can take it there but I'm not convinced he will.

Fairly poor DAZN card on Friday night with Gabe Rosado getting wheeled out for another loss against Danny Jacobs. Only fight I'm sort of looking forward to is Yeleussinov in a decent step up against Indongo. Yeleussinov been improving with every fight in the pros imo after being a bit of a disappointment in the beginning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Despite the hype about Dubois' punching power, it's the other aspects of his game that have impressed me.

His jab is one of the finest I've seen in a long, long time. It's long, accurate and most of all consistent. I think Joyce will have huge problems trying to pass it and if the fight goes past the middle rounds I expect Dubois to utilise it to the maximum in taking a points win rather than continually trying to bomb out Joyce.

His balance is also very impressive. He always has a solid base beneath him and can move in and out of range quite comfortably. The good balance obviously helps with power, but also helps absorb punches when hit. On that note, though we haven't seen him take many heavy punches, I just have the feeling that he has a very solid beard. He just looks as if he can really take it. I know that's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but hopefully time will tell.

I'm not convinced he's the huge puncher he's being made out to be, but he is a hard hitter and he throws with conviction and with his very solid fundamentals I feel he will be very hard to beat by anybody within the next year or two.

Having said that, I feel Joyce is being written off a little too much. An awful lot has been said about his lack of speed and Lord knows he's one of the slowest punchers I've ever seen, but he has incredible stamina and output for a big man. And although his defense isn't exactly watertight, his sheer desire and will to win can never be completely dismissed. Because of Joyce's willingness to trade, I think it will be a good fight for a few rounds, but despite his toughness and physicality I think Joyce will take far too many heavy punches and be stopped in 5 or 6 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The Yoka vs Hammer card is on Premier Sports 2 right now (Sky Ch 429)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Good piece from Donald McRae today on the Dubois family. I had no idea he was raised by a single father to eleven kids.

https://twitter.com/donaldgmcrae/status/1332299371245920257?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Yoka vs Hammer card is on Premier Sports 2 right now (Sky Ch 429)

I’ll record that.

Keep us posted. Saw it listed, but didn’t say any channel..

That Viktor Faust looks half decent. Real upright Klitschko sort of style. Has some good wins as an amateur. Sokolowski never an easy out either.

• Advertisement

Main event about to start now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Been looking forward to this Dubois fight for a while now, Joyce is a level above the bunk beds he’s been thrown in with up until now. Fully believe Dubois will be at the top of the division in the next couple of years regardless.

Yoka looks poor here. Showing zero inside game or ability to punch off the back foot. Nowhere near the future of the heavyweight division on this showing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I think the jacons fight is tonight, no?

I think the jacons fight is tonight, no?

It is actually, yeah. Probably one I'll catch up with in the morning tbh.

• Advertisement

Jacobs scrapes over the line in a split decision win...

Very uninspiring by all accounts

Never took to Jacobs....Always felt he got overrated...all because he managed to do well vs GGG.....

AJs conqueror (Majidov from Azerbaijan) in the 2011 world finals at SHW had a decent win last night. Good solid and clean puncher...

Morrison J wrote: »

Really looking forward to Dubois v Joyce. Great matchup but just think Dubois is the real deal and will have too much for Joyce who's just too hittable. First time Joyce has been in with a real good puncher in the pros and I think he'll feel the difference. Dubois in around 5 rounds I think. Could get interesting down the stretch if Joyce can take it there but I'm not convinced he will.

I am wondering how Dubois' form and stamina will be after 5-6 rds, should Joyce get that far? And if Joyce is really setting a fast pace, will Dubois really tire, weaken, and see his shots lose their potency...

That is why a quick KO here would not surprise me...Dubois lands early with very good shots to get Joyce out of there...

I mean, it's not like Joyce's defence is good at any stage of a fight....he can be tagged clean right from the start....

Turned Jacobs - Rosado off after 5 rounds. Brutal.

Turned Jacobs - Rosado off after 5 rounds. Brutal.

Useless fight....Really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

What time is ring walk likely to be for Dubois vs Joyce?

What time is ring walk likely to be for Dubois vs Joyce?

10:15-10:30

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I thought this was ppv?

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I thought this was ppv?

No only the Tyson-Jones card is PPV.

Was thinking earlier that Dubois v Joyce is probably the best non-PPV main event in the UK since Bute-Froch? Can't think of anything better since.

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I thought this was ppv?

No no no..

The real boxing featuring flabby weed smoking old man Tyson vs. punch-drunk old flabby Jones Junior is the PPV show!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any idea of time for the main one?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Any idea of time for the main one?

10:15 - 10:30

Catterall is number one ranked WBO at 140.....🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Looking forward to seeing Hamzah Sheeraz.

The only time I saw him before I was very impressed. I think he can go quite far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Bunce gives me a pain in my face.

I would be thinking at least 10:30 at this stage. Penultimate fight just about to start, but they have not done all the usual ring walk nonsense / stalling yet.

Bunce gives me a pain in my face.

I would be thinking at least 10:30 at this stage. Penultimate fight just about to start, but they have not done all the usual ring walk nonsense / stalling yet.

30 possible minutes left here..

Then 10-15 mins of build up. 10:45 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I;d say about that yea. What you guys making of this fight? To be so dominant I’d have expected Shiraz to have him out of there by now. Getting excited about the main event!

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I;d say about that yea. What you guys making of this fight? To be so dominant I’d have expected Shiraz to have him out of there by now. Getting excited about the main event!

Boring..

This opponent is very weak..

Complete mismatch. Sheeraz making a meal of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yep. terrible fight for it to be the warm up.

No only the Tyson-Jones card is PPV.

Was thinking earlier that Dubois v Joyce is probably the best non-PPV main event in the UK since Bute-Froch? Can't think of anything better since.

This card has been quite poor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

It's so bad that they have a sign out the back to remind you that Dubois vs Joyce is on next.

I'm backing DDD to get the job done. Joyce is soooo slow, almost robotic in his movements. Should be great while it lasts though.

Advertisement