Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCAA College Football - 2018 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

An unbelievable OBJ like catch just now by Texas Tech receiver TJ Basher against Ole Miss

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ole V Texas is indeed turning into a good old fashioned shootout. Very entertaining first half so far.

Ole miss up 37 to 27 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd. Really entertaining game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

Enjoying this. This fourth quarter could be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

James Madison NC State game is a great battle so far. 17-13 NC State, JMU holding their own as a FCS school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

And as I say that NC State drive down the field and score and puts a nail in the coffin with 1minute left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Auburn vs Washington has been a great defensive battle. I love Jake Browning but he still makes silly mistakes. Fourth quarter just saw started and the Huskies are in the red zone, currently down by two points.

Huskies get a field goal to lead by one, off the upright and over, their kicking is every bit as bad as it was last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Great game. I'm keeping an eye on Penn State too, they're having trouble putting away Appalachian State. They just surrendered a 2 touchdown lead and it's a tie game at 31-31 with 2 minutes and change to go in the 4th. Appalachian are in the redzone too!

App State take the lead! Anyone with Big Ten Network, switch over now! Penn State down a touchdown, under 2 minutes to go. This would be an absolute huge upset.

Yeah just seen the score, big finish coming up there.
    Auburn Tigers just got the TD to back in front but missed the two point conversion so lead by five with six minutes left.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

WTF? Crazy stuff.

4th down, here we go!

Penn State are 94-0 when favoured by at least 20 points. Could be about to end!

Edit: they've made the 4th down. This is nuts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Big 4th down there!

I need 2 TV's

• Advertisement

Nice!

Oh man, they've only gone and tied it.

I haven't seen any of that game up until now but that was impressive and clutch from McSorley

Huge reception! :eek:

Auburn beat the Huskies barring a miracle.

• Advertisement

Penn State get it done in overtime.

I fancy Michigan in this one. I think Shea Patterson will be the QB they've been missing to take them to the next level. I don't expect him to be putting up 300 yards every week or throwing it 40 times a game, but I think he's a big upgrade on what they've had in recent years.

I fancy Wimbush to lead the Irish to a decent win. Go Irish!
    Receivers on fire, OL on fire, he'll everybody is on fire.

TD Irish!!!

Armstrong with the backup QB in, dirty play with a poke in the eye on Wimbush.

Wow, how did he hold on to that ball...

14-0 already, great start for the Irish. Wimbush on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

eagle eye wrote: »
    14-0 already, great start for the Irish. Wimbush on fire.

Awesome start!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Great start for ND. Their defence have Patterson’s number.

21-3 now, they look really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bama dominant v Louisville

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Bama dominant v Louisville

Tua has been fantastic. That's the last thing every other team needed, Alabama finally get an elite QB.

I might - just might - have to revise my opinion on Shea Patterson after that throw. As soon as he threw it, I knew it was an interception and I couldn't even see where in the secondary it was going as it was still off the screen at that time.

Cincinatti have beaten UCLA on the road. Not the start Chip Kelly had in mind :eek:

Getting a bit nervous, Irish lead 24-17 with 2 minutes left in the game.
    Michigan D has been immense in the second half, Irish D has been good up until the last Michigan drive.
    Wolverines have the ball at their 25 with no timeouts.
    Come on the D, come on the Irish!!!

Woohoo, forced fumble and that's the game. Go Irish, season looks like it could be a real good one now.

We all knew Bama had a very special QB coming through and it's just scary to think how good the Crimson Tide can be with a top QB.
    Well if that didn't scare you enough they now have a frightening kick return game as well.
    All three facets are scary good this season. It's the first game of the season and maybe I shouldn't be getting carried away but I really do believe that placing a bet on them now to win it all is just earning easy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭mooreman09

A really decent week 1 so far

Bama look great

Ohio look good, will wait till week 3 to judge them.

ND look improved, I was impressed by their D Line. I'm not sure their offense will hold up though.

Michigan look woeful.

Good win for Auburn, big games ahead for them.

Texas were embarrassing, Herman is struggling in my opinion.

Some nailbiters and exciting games.

I'm heading for bed now but just noticed Hawaii are at it again, 14-0 up on Navy near the end of the first. This might be a pretty decent team. They play nice football too.

Likewise, I can barely keep my eyes open and seeing what Kevin Sumlin is doing to Khalil Tate is enough to send me to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

The person who decided to have the ticker at the bottom of the screen during the Big ABC Saturday night games should be fired.

It's unbelievably annoying and it adds nothing to the experience of watching a game.Who the hell wants to get meaningless constant updates of stats when in any game if anything noteworthy has happened it will be shown as a graphic on screen during a break in play. It's a classic case of an answer to a question nobody was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I was dissapointed with Michigan expected more from them.The front 7 of the defence is nasty but there clock management at the end of the game was woeful,they just cant win big games away from the big house.Lsu vs Miami should be tasty tonight.

It's the return of this week's Alternative Highlights! :)

Antoine Winfield Jr. (son of former Vikings favourite Antoine Winfield) had a pretty incredible punt return for Minnesota. Keep an eye on the kicker (#16) for some "questionable" coverage.

https://twitter.com/CollegeT0wn/status/1035324994308513793

It was quite a weekend for true freshman, but none moreso than Maryland's Jeshaun Jacobs. The first three touches of his career were:

It didn't make Gameday, but still worth a chuckle:

LggMgqXl.jpg

Rondale Moore was another freshman who had a monster game for Purdue. To go with his record-breaking (for Purdue) 313 all-purpose yards, he had what I can only describe as a "Madden on the easiest setting" juke on this play:

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1035320262072315904

Arkansas State installed a safe standing section in their stadium.....and a waterfall...?

https://twitter.com/coach_norv/status/1035219484498374656

It was HOT in South Carolina yesterday:

LKouOFvl.jpg

Bujcevski - Texas' punter - punted from his own endzone all the way to the redzone. It was just the wrong redzone....

https://streamable.com/z4978

I'd love to know what play call this is.

cdhl3H5l.jpg

Don't think I've ever seen this type of punt block/catch/return before.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1036091581785419776

This would drive you mad. Purdue were down 4 points with 2 minutes to go. They stopped Northwestern on 3rd down, but an unnecessary roughness penalty cost them 15 yards (and the 1st down) and Northwestern ran out the game:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1035374138926551040

Cruising up 34-0 in the 3rd quarter, Nick Saban doesn't let his foot off the pedal, and does not appreciate silly penalties from his players:

https://twitter.com/fearthe_beard11/status/1036081073254359041

Kyler Murray had an interesting 10 yard run, mainly because he ran a LOT more than 10 yards.

Washington have a neat thing...

https://twitter.com/DougPigsleyKOMO/status/1035953170319663104?s=19

I can safely say I've never seen a formation like this before...

https://twitter.com/CougCenter/status/1036028484173197312

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I can't wait to listen to some of the podcasts I listen to and see where Michigan sit in the power rankings. I was convinced they'd be a serious proposition this season, and in fairness the might still be. 24 might be the most points they concede in a game all season. The Irish could be anything though, and if this proves a false dawn, it won't look good for Michigan - stating the obvious I guess. The only other thing to bear in mind for their conference chances though is that Ohio State - and I know what they put on offense - were absolutely not expected to concede 30 odd points.

Some opening week. I am going to say it now - there won't be a PAC12 team in the final 4. I don't know how on earth mainstream commentators think a 1 loss PAC 12 champion is getting in given the evidence on selections over the last few years. And still to get a look at FSU who could be decent this season - the QB by all accounts has shed the ego and is knuckling down to business

LSU putting on a serous show tonight. They lead Miami 27-3 with just over two minutes left in the first half.

Miami's OL looks poor but I'm not sure if that's actually the case as it might be the Tigers' defensive line that is that good.

Either way there is going to be a big shake up in the rankings after this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Doogs27

eagle eye wrote: »
    LSU putting on a serous show tonight. They lead Miami 27-3 with just over two minutes left in the first half.

Miami's OL looks poor but I'm not sure if that's actually the case as it might be the Tigers' defensive line that is that good.

Either way there is going to be a big shake up in the rankings after this game.

That should cool down orgerons hot seat quite a bit! Geaux Tigers. Had to record it, cant wait to watch it later.

• Advertisement

I had heard quite a few people express the opinion that if Washington lost to Auburn on opening weekend, that was the Pac 12's chance at the playoffs dead already. Stanford need to run the table, and hope that Notre Dame are strong enough to go 11-1 (with the 1 defeat being Stanford's win) for them to be considered.

Washington still have a chance if it turns out that Auburn are a powerhouse this year. If Washington win out (it's a fairly decent schedule the rest of the way), and it turns out their only loss is to an undefeated Auburn, then they could easily get in. Though, 2 road games @Georgia and @Alabama in the last 3 weeks of the year has that as a fairly impossible task for Auburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Doogs27 wrote: »
    That should cool down orgerons hot seat quite a bit! Geaux Tigers. Had to record it, cant wait to watch it later.

I watched it this morning. Quality defensive performance but also showed enough on Offense to really think they might have a big season - despite that ridiculous schedule....

Burrow looked solid, they stopped throwing after 25 mins for obvious reasons but he showed a decent arm and good decision making instincts. After taking the lead LSU just took no chances when they didn't need to.

Hopefully Chaissons knee isn't too bad.

All in all, a very positive performance and the game with Auburn is suddenly massive. Its possible that LSU could get to the top 5/6 by winning its first 3 games....

They'll need to open up the offense though and get more consistency from their receivers.

mooreman09 wrote: »

Burrow looked solid, they stopped throwing after 25 mins for obvious reasons but he showed a decent arm and good decision making instincts. After taking the lead LSU just took no chances when they didn't need to.
    I've bolded the crucial bit. It's extremely important, you don't need to be a hero when you have that D. You just need to manage he game sensibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

mooreman09 wrote: »
    They'll need to open up the offense though and get more consistency from their receivers.

You hear people saying that LSU seem to have a steady stream of WRs who do well in the NFL but LSU never seem to get the best out of them...

Flash in the pan or the beginning of Coach O proving the doubters wrong, will be fascinating to find out...

What’s everyone’s pick of the matches being shown this weekend on BT?

• Advertisement
Advertisement