Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA College Football - 2018 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I was dissapointed with Michigan expected more from them.The front 7 of the defence is nasty but there clock management at the end of the game was woeful,they just cant win big games away from the big house.Lsu vs Miami should be tasty tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

It's the return of this week's Alternative Highlights! :)

Antoine Winfield Jr. (son of former Vikings favourite Antoine Winfield) had a pretty incredible punt return for Minnesota. Keep an eye on the kicker (#16) for some "questionable" coverage.

https://twitter.com/CollegeT0wn/status/1035324994308513793

It was quite a weekend for true freshman, but none moreso than Maryland's Jeshaun Jacobs. The first three touches of his career were:

It didn't make Gameday, but still worth a chuckle:

LggMgqXl.jpg

Rondale Moore was another freshman who had a monster game for Purdue. To go with his record-breaking (for Purdue) 313 all-purpose yards, he had what I can only describe as a "Madden on the easiest setting" juke on this play:

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1035320262072315904

Arkansas State installed a safe standing section in their stadium.....and a waterfall...?

https://twitter.com/coach_norv/status/1035219484498374656

It was HOT in South Carolina yesterday:

LKouOFvl.jpg

Bujcevski - Texas' punter - punted from his own endzone all the way to the redzone. It was just the wrong redzone....

https://streamable.com/z4978

I'd love to know what play call this is.

cdhl3H5l.jpg

Don't think I've ever seen this type of punt block/catch/return before.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1036091581785419776

This would drive you mad. Purdue were down 4 points with 2 minutes to go. They stopped Northwestern on 3rd down, but an unnecessary roughness penalty cost them 15 yards (and the 1st down) and Northwestern ran out the game:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1035374138926551040

Cruising up 34-0 in the 3rd quarter, Nick Saban doesn't let his foot off the pedal, and does not appreciate silly penalties from his players:

https://twitter.com/fearthe_beard11/status/1036081073254359041

Kyler Murray had an interesting 10 yard run, mainly because he ran a LOT more than 10 yards.

Washington have a neat thing...

https://twitter.com/DougPigsleyKOMO/status/1035953170319663104?s=19

I can safely say I've never seen a formation like this before...

https://twitter.com/CougCenter/status/1036028484173197312

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I can't wait to listen to some of the podcasts I listen to and see where Michigan sit in the power rankings. I was convinced they'd be a serious proposition this season, and in fairness the might still be. 24 might be the most points they concede in a game all season. The Irish could be anything though, and if this proves a false dawn, it won't look good for Michigan - stating the obvious I guess. The only other thing to bear in mind for their conference chances though is that Ohio State - and I know what they put on offense - were absolutely not expected to concede 30 odd points.

Some opening week. I am going to say it now - there won't be a PAC12 team in the final 4. I don't know how on earth mainstream commentators think a 1 loss PAC 12 champion is getting in given the evidence on selections over the last few years. And still to get a look at FSU who could be decent this season - the QB by all accounts has shed the ego and is knuckling down to business

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LSU putting on a serous show tonight. They lead Miami 27-3 with just over two minutes left in the first half.

Miami's OL looks poor but I'm not sure if that's actually the case as it might be the Tigers' defensive line that is that good.

Either way there is going to be a big shake up in the rankings after this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

eagle eye wrote: »
    LSU putting on a serous show tonight. They lead Miami 27-3 with just over two minutes left in the first half.

Miami's OL looks poor but I'm not sure if that's actually the case as it might be the Tigers' defensive line that is that good.

Either way there is going to be a big shake up in the rankings after this game.

That should cool down orgerons hot seat quite a bit! Geaux Tigers. Had to record it, cant wait to watch it later.

• Advertisement

I had heard quite a few people express the opinion that if Washington lost to Auburn on opening weekend, that was the Pac 12's chance at the playoffs dead already. Stanford need to run the table, and hope that Notre Dame are strong enough to go 11-1 (with the 1 defeat being Stanford's win) for them to be considered.

Washington still have a chance if it turns out that Auburn are a powerhouse this year. If Washington win out (it's a fairly decent schedule the rest of the way), and it turns out their only loss is to an undefeated Auburn, then they could easily get in. Though, 2 road games @Georgia and @Alabama in the last 3 weeks of the year has that as a fairly impossible task for Auburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Doogs27 wrote: »
    That should cool down orgerons hot seat quite a bit! Geaux Tigers. Had to record it, cant wait to watch it later.

I watched it this morning. Quality defensive performance but also showed enough on Offense to really think they might have a big season - despite that ridiculous schedule....

Burrow looked solid, they stopped throwing after 25 mins for obvious reasons but he showed a decent arm and good decision making instincts. After taking the lead LSU just took no chances when they didn't need to.

Hopefully Chaissons knee isn't too bad.

All in all, a very positive performance and the game with Auburn is suddenly massive. Its possible that LSU could get to the top 5/6 by winning its first 3 games....

They'll need to open up the offense though and get more consistency from their receivers.

mooreman09 wrote: »

Burrow looked solid, they stopped throwing after 25 mins for obvious reasons but he showed a decent arm and good decision making instincts. After taking the lead LSU just took no chances when they didn't need to.
    I've bolded the crucial bit. It's extremely important, you don't need to be a hero when you have that D. You just need to manage he game sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

mooreman09 wrote: »
    They'll need to open up the offense though and get more consistency from their receivers.

You hear people saying that LSU seem to have a steady stream of WRs who do well in the NFL but LSU never seem to get the best out of them...

Flash in the pan or the beginning of Coach O proving the doubters wrong, will be fascinating to find out...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What’s everyone’s pick of the matches being shown this weekend on BT?

• Advertisement

Virginia Tech @ Florida State should be a close game tonight. Interesting to see how Willie Taggart gets the home side playing, and how Francois looks after this injury.

Though already feels like I'm already fighting a losing battle in staying awake for it.

Absolutely fantastic drive from VT to start the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

FSU offense had no answer for that Hokies defense having said that Murray's TD should have been a TD. He clearly was on top of the defender as he went into the endzone.

FSU were hosting Kayvon Thibodeaux last night too. He's the #1 ranked recruit in the country, and one of the most hyped defensive ends of the last decade. Couldn't have picked a more pathetic performance to have him come visit during!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

JaMarcus wrote: »
    It's the return of this week's Alternative Highlights! :)

I can safely say I've never seen a formation like this before...

https://twitter.com/CougCenter/status/1036028484173197312

Ha, thanks Jamarcus, I always love these posts after the weekend. Cheers for doing them.

I had to watch that way too many times before I realised what was happening. Glad I wasn't playing D on the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Bateman wrote: »
    You hear people saying that LSU seem to have a steady stream of WRs who do well in the NFL but LSU never seem to get the best out of them...

Flash in the pan or the beginning of Coach O proving the doubters wrong, will be fascinating to find out...

If O could cut out the lows (like Troy) he'll be fine... He's already beaten some good teams and seems to have no problem getting the team ready for the big games.

That's why I feel they've a great chance at Auburn. They'll be up for it...

The WR's are good this year but young... I think you'll see them use Giles and the tight ends more in the coming games as they're WR's gain experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Great to see this one back. It won't be anything near the scoreline but this never gets old. What a team that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Any recommendations what to watch today? Not a stellar lineup on paper, until the USC Stanford game later

Week 2 is always fairly poor.

Mississippi State @ Kansas State is the pick of the early kickoffs, with Duke @ Northwestern also being sneaky good.

Georgia @ South Carolina, Clemson @ Texas A&M and USC @ Stanford are the only other standout games. Penn State @ Pitt could be a shootout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Week 2 is always fairly poor.

Mississippi State @ Kansas State is the pick of the early kickoffs, with Duke @ Northwestern also being sneaky good.

Georgia @ South Carolina, Clemson @ Texas A&M and USC @ Stanford are the only other standout games. Penn State @ Pitt could be a shootout.

Watching Mississippi v kansas

I always get the fear watching one game that another game is better.

• Advertisement

Wisconsin currently down 7-3 in Wisconsin to New Mexico.

Terrence Horne has 2 kickoff returns for TDs in the first quarter for USF :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

UCLA 7-0 up on Oaklahoma early. Oak are 30 point favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

South Florida v G Tech looks to be heading to the wire...

Great last drive by the Sth Florida QB

Colorado/Nebraska is a cracker. Nebraska up 28-27, and went for it on 4th down at midfield. Colorado blew the runner up in the backfield, they'll get the ball now at midfield.

Catastrophically bad int by ND right now, they are making very tough work of a frankly awful team here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Colorado/Nebraska is a cracker. Nebraska up 28-27, and went for it on 4th down at midfield. Colorado blew the runner up in the backfield, they'll get the ball now at midfield.

And Nebraska just threw an INT on the first down.

And Colorado just missed a FG attempt. It wasn’t even that far out. He just completely dragged the kick! This game is unreal so many twists and turns.

Wimbush is bad and not good.

• Advertisement

More drama with the freshman walk on QB on for Nebraska. Colorado could nick this now

Advertisement