Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 goals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Goals for 2018:

I'm actually very happy with my current health and fitness levels. I've worked very hard and very consistently over the last few years, and I think I've achieved a really great level.

Of course, improvement is always a goal. But I'm quite happy to maintain the level I'm currently at... and help others who are trying to improve their level.

I guess one of my goals this year, was to be a bit more relaxed and less OCD about health and fitness! (if that's even possible for me - but I am trying) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Hmmmm, may need to rethink my goals...:o
    Deano7788 wrote: »
    Have been thinking about this for the last few days, had posted them on my instagram just before Christmas but now I think I'll have to rethink my squat one.

Main overall goal is just to compete in an IPF comp, currently targeting the May Open (entered in 93kg class). Ideally I'd like to get my total up to over 550 (from 522.5) at the least. Definitely on course.

In terms of actual lifts:
    Squat: On instagram I had said 200kg, which has been a long term target. I had been worried this may not have been ambitious enough, as I think I'd have been at least close to getting it in the comp a few weeks ago. After tripling 180 at an RPE of about 8 this morning though I'm going to revise it to 210kg, as really feel 200kg is in me already or will be when I get back to doing singles at the least. Hit this about 6 weeks ago and squat 220kg tonight

Bench: Basically to be less embarrassing compared to my other 2 lifts (do not want to end up doubling my bench with my squat!). Will hope to hit at least 115kg this year, up from 105 a month ago. Benched 112.5kg at RPE 9 a few weeks ago, which was the last time I did a single. Since then have hit a 117.5kg board press single and 105kg for 5 doubles on regular bench, my previous comp best.

Deadlift: 240kg. I'm not sure how ambitious or unambitious this is after how easy the 227.5 was a few weeks ago, but I'll leave it as is for now anyway. Hit this about 6 weeks ago, hit 250kg last week.

While it would be nice to get those in the gym, really will be aiming to hit them in competition, and if I could put all 3 together I'd easily get my total target as well, but leaving room there in case something goes wrong at the same time.

In terms of bodyweight it will be somewhere between 83 and 93kg for the most part anyway but would like to finish the year maybe a kg or 2 heavier than now and a bit leaner.

A lesser goal would be to get one pull-up with 50kg added on, have managed 40kg this year. Won't really be a main goal though or something I'm directly working towards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Go from 16 stone (102kg) to 13 and a halfish (86kg). (Currently down to 15'4 or 97kg)

Do five consecutive pull ups (trying to get one is the first hurdle)

Bench at least 70kg

They may seem embarrassing targets for someone my age (28) but they are still my targets, comparing myself to others won't help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

Get fit enough for Half marathon, (august)

Complete Spartan Race with out coughing up a lung

achieve a bench of 100+Kg this year, currently sitting on 60Kg Creeping to 75KG some days are good. we don't talk about the other ones
    DL of 200+ currently on 170Kg For one, Two if I'm really on form but i've been able to knock out 160kg reasonably well
    Squat 200 Sank to 120Kg, knees are beginning to ache after a light set so have been going easy on this

and keep my row to 2Km under 8mins consistently from this june. Just for fun i have been setting 3 min / 4 min challenges and try and maintain 250 metres per minute

currently at 95Kg and about 23% Body Fat.

Hope everyone's getting closer to their goals and setting new ones
    Rob

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

pinkypinky wrote: »
    After 6 months of minor but infuriating injury, I'm hoping to get back to where I was when the injury happened, which was squatting & deadlifting 20kg on the bar (I started with just the bar) and improve on it. The injury has meant I've put on a few kilos - not brave enough to stand on the scales just yet but I'll knock them off too, hopefully in time for a family wedding in May.

Update: I did the weight part. 6kg lost for the wedding. Half way through couch to 5k but have already run my first 5k race outside and did not die. The injury took longer to heal than I'd like so I haven't started back on squats and deadlifts yet but it's next on the list.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Have been thinking about this for the last few days, had posted them on my instagram just before Christmas but now I think I'll have to rethink my squat one.

Main overall goal is just to compete in an IPF comp, currently targeting the May Open. Ideally I'd like to get my total up to over 550 (from 522.5) at the least. Competed yesterday, totalled 605kg so smashed this.

Squat: On instagram I had said 200kg, which has been a long term target. I had been worried this may not have been ambitious enough, as I think I'd have been at least close to getting it in the comp a few weeks ago. After tripling 180 at an RPE of about 8 this morning though I'm going to revise it to 210kg, as really feel 200kg is in me already or will be when I get back to doing singles at the least. Squat 230kg in comp yesterday and have done it in training as well.

Bench: Basically to be less embarrassing compared to my other 2 lifts (do not want to end up doubling my bench with my squat!). Will hope to hit at least 115kg this year, up from 105 a month ago. Hit 115kg yesterday, have hit 117.5kg in training

Deadlift: 240kg. I'm not sure how ambitious or unambitious this is after how easy the 227.5 was a few weeks ago, but I'll leave it as is for now anyway. 260kg yesterday, had hit 250 in training a few weeks ago.

While it would be nice to get those in the gym, really will be aiming to hit them in competition, and if I could put all 3 together I'd easily get my total target as well, but leaving room there in case something goes wrong at the same time.Done on all counts.

In terms of bodyweight it will be somewhere between 83 and 93kg for the most part anyway but would like to finish the year maybe a kg or 2 heavier than now and a bit leaner.change in priorities going to bulk slowly again so screw this.:pac:

A lesser goal would be to get one pull-up with 50kg added on, have managed 40kg this year. Won't really be a main goal though or something I'm directly working towards though only if my coach programmes it!.

As one of my main goals was to compete in the May Open, good time to look at what I've achieved thus far. I seem to have obliterated most goals :D:pac::o

Got one goal foe the season,

after finishing last season with 0 wins out of 8 games, this season we managed to earn our first win today. so at the moment sitting on 1-3 (1 win 3 losses)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Tore my bloody bicep so my 2018 goals are looking highly unlikely now

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Nasty. How did you do it? Mixed grip DL?
    Sorry to hear and hope you heal well

Nasty. How did you do it? Mixed grip DL?
    Sorry to hear and hope you heal well

Was literally just messing about playing tag with a few mates, someone fell into me and the two of us went to the ground and their head landed right on my elbow joint, felt quite painful and then when i looked at my arm my bicep was up at my shoulder. 3/4 months of no lifting now which is annoying. can still do some leg stuff so will get back into the gym and do some leg pressing etc shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Aww f*rk, nasty; gws.

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Was literally just messing about playing tag with a few mates, someone fell into me and the two of us went to the ground and their head landed right on my elbow joint, felt quite painful and then when i looked at my arm my bicep was up at my shoulder. 3/4 months of no lifting now which is annoying. can still do some leg stuff so will get back into the gym and do some leg pressing etc shortly.

Yeesh! Get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

To stop focusing on the damn scales and logging every morsel and instead focus on eating well and getting fitter and stronger.

To that end:
    -Do a pull up
    -Run a 10km
    -Complete a Hell and Back/Tough Mudder type event.

:D

Did a 10k race today in 1:03:31. It's my birthday next week so I'm gonna treat myself to a few personal trainer sessions and get working on that pull up!

RTighe wrote: »
    Get fit enough for Half marathon, (august)

Complete Spartan Race with out coughing up a lung Didn't Lose a lung. did an ok time of 3 hours with two others as well. Really enjoyed it

achieve a bench of 100+Kg this year, currently sitting on 60Kg Creeping to 75KG some days are good. we don't talk about the other ones
    DL of 200+ currently on 170Kg For one, Two if I'm really on form but i've been able to knock out 160kg reasonably well
    Squat 200 Sank to 120Kg, knees are beginning to ache after a light set so have been going easy on this

and keep my row to 2Km under 8mins consistently from this june. Just for fun i have been setting 3 min / 4 min challenges and try and maintain 250 metres per minute

currently at 95Kg and about 23% Body Fat.

Hope everyone's getting closer to their goals and setting new ones
    Rob

so one off the list, with only a few games left and season finished in July i'll be cutting the weight making the half marathon a bit easier to do. (hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

never posted here at the start of the year but I set my self a few goals

compete a few times this year (BJJ Muay thai)

Bench 80kg for a set of 5

squat 100kg

so far I've hit both lifts and have competed twice which is not great but I've had a busy year so I'll take that.

next BJJ comp I'm aiming for is in September might get a muay thai or k1 fight between now and then as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Hopefully I’ll be quoting this post in 12 months.
    I’m hoping to increase my squat from 150kg to 170kg
    Deadlift from 190kg to 220kg
    Bench paused from 87.5kg to 100kg
    OHP from 60kg to 65kg
    @85kg ish
    Let’s see how that goes.....

Got the 100kg Bench today. Well ahead of schedule. It was the one prediction from above that I thought was unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Alanhooly wrote:
    Go from 16 stone (102kg) to 13 and a halfish (86kg). (Currently down to 15'4 or 97kg)

Alanhooly wrote:
    Do five consecutive pull ups (trying to get one is the first hurdle)

Alanhooly wrote:
    Bench at least 70kg

Alanhooly wrote:
    They may seem embarrassing targets for someone my age (28) but they are still my targets, comparing myself to others won't help

As of today I'm 14 stone 2 pounds (90kg)

I haven't made much headway on the other two goals. I've just been focusing on being in a calorie deficit with the aid of cardio. It may not be the recommended way of doing things but I want to drop to my desired (and healthy) weight before focusing on strength & body composition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm not going to be testing anytime soon so might as well update.
    Pass that bloody 500kg total. Should have happened by now but my deadlift deserted me.

Check. Well, made it. Not entirely happy because I should have passed it back in the Sligo comp but I - for once - backed myself and went for a squat that I thought I could make. More conservative squat and bench I know I would have made and I'd have hit 500. But went a bit YOLO on the day.
    A 4-plate squat. I've squatted 175kg in the gym. I want 180kg - on the platform ideally. The way training has been going, the numbers are headed in the right direction.

Done in Q1 in training. Went for 185 on platform. Would have made 180 but, as above, went for a weight I thought I might get rather than just backing off and taking the conservative one.
    110kg bench. There's a small weakness in my left shoulder that manifested itself on my last bench at last comp and nearly cost me the 102.5. But the weight didn't feel like it was going to pin me. I think 110 is achievable.

Not quite. My one regret from last comp in Cork...not backing myself. Never had a PR feel so good...so smooth. I talked myself out of changing to 110 after calling 107.5. Overriding feeling as I locked out was disappointment that I didn't call 110.

Aside from that, deadlift has been better. Not where I wanted it to be but on the way up.

So yeah, getting along the road and I'm not gonna be testing or competing anytime soon but powerlifting4lyfe so as long as I'm moving in the right direction, I'll take that.

Main overall goal is just to compete in an IPF comp, currently targeting the May Open. Ideally I'd like to get my total up to over 550 (from 522.5) at the least. Competed twice, totalled 605kg and 635kg

Squat: On instagram I had said 200kg, which has been a long term target. I had been worried this may not have been ambitious enough, as I think I'd have been at least close to getting it in the comp a few weeks ago. After tripling 180 at an RPE of about 8 this morning though I'm going to revise it to 210kg, as really feel 200kg is in me already or will be when I get back to doing singles at the least. Hit 245kg with a bit more there. Squat went insane this year

Bench: Basically to be less embarrassing compared to my other 2 lifts (do not want to end up doubling my bench with my squat!). Will hope to hit at least 115kg this year, up from 105 a month ago. Hit 125kg, Bench looks to have progressed further since.

Deadlift: 240kg. I'm not sure how ambitious or unambitious this is after how easy the 227.5 was a few weeks ago, but I'll leave it as is for now anyway. Hit 265kg

While it would be nice to get those in the gym, really will be aiming to hit them in competition, and if I could put all 3 together I'd easily get my total target as well, but leaving room there in case something goes wrong at the same time. All 3 hit in October comp.

In terms of bodyweight it will be somewhere between 83 and 93kg for the most part anyway but would like to finish the year maybe a kg or 2 heavier than now and a bit leaner. Completely changed approach here and moved to 105s, really suiting me better.

A lesser goal would be to get one pull-up with 50kg added on, have managed 40kg this year. Won't really be a main goal though or something I'm directly working towards though wasn’t part of programming so never tried, not really pushed.

I think my goal next year should be to set better goals :pac:.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'll set realistic goals for 2019. I guess "stop being a noob" won't get added :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Brill thread, I'll have to clock up but think I'm close to being on track, already thinking about the 19 thread.

140 bench and 200 squat at 93kg. At about 135 and 185 at 97kg at the moment, so some work to do but should be very achievable

Got injured and achieved nothing

Finally getting my benching back to where it was tho, hitting 125 for 5x3
    Squat is actually going well but squatting exclusively SSB at the moment so hard to judge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Mink wrote: »
    1) Be able to 5x full push up's (not on my knees)

2) Get up to a 2min plank Need to retest this!

3) Get under 30 mins for a 5k

4) Maintain zero back problems

I haven't done too bad. I forgot all about these and had set some other mini goals over the year

1) Can kick up into a handstand
    2) Got up to 1km in just over 30mins swimming (half front crawl, half breast stroke)
    3) Got down to an 8 min mile.
    4) My lifts are nowhere near as impressive as some on here but I've gone from an empty bar to probably what would be considered novice weights.
    5) Various other little gymnasticy type stuff that only I would be interested in but nevertheless very proud of myself for getting the hang of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Got injured and achieved nothing

Finally getting my benching back to where it was tho, hitting 125 for 5x3
    Squat is actually going well but squatting exclusively SSB at the moment so hard to judge

Snap! Hamstring in the first half of the year, shoulder in the 2nd half. poof went my goals of the splits and pullups!!

Goal next year don't get injured!!

Though in a round about way those injuries have helped me, they've highlighted some imbalances and have allowed me to address them so maybe that'll help me have an injury free 2019!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    400 wilks

This quickly fell apart with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I want to do 5 laps of the field. I keep hitting a wall after the 4th so hopefully I can overcome that this year.

I did it once but haven't been able to do it since.

Got a new job, juggled training and a lot of additional work commitments really well for first 6 months of the year, then fell off the fitness wagon spectacularly mid-summer. Crawling back on again now - but back to square one - and looking forward to a shiny new 2019 goals thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Im approaching this year differently as im in my 38th year as a human the recovery is getting harder and harder and the niggles ar getting bigger and longer!
    This year ive promised my self to move on from hitting regular heavy singles on deads and squats and instead actualy focus on getting in better shape both inside and out!
    My main goals are abs:confused: and regain some lost mobility/flexability!
    Im re introducing cardio and do a bit of fluff work:P
    Got abs well 4 of them this summer kinda still there lol!
    Been box squatting last 9 months due to dodgy hip gotten really strong on them 220 5x5 to parallel
    Might work on full squats from end of jan with aim of doing my first meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Hopefully I’ll be quoting this post in 12 months.
    I’m hoping to increase my squat from 150kg to 170kg
    Deadlift from 190kg to 220kg
    Bench paused from 87.5kg to 100kg
    OHP from 60kg to 65kg
    @85kg ish
    Let’s see how that goes.....

Ok here’s how it went.

This morning I got my 170kg Squat. Delighted. Just realised it’s only 2.5kg below bodyweight x2. Last year I said 170 but didn’t really expect to get it if I’m being totally honest. Big thank you to 2 cycles of smolov Jr.

Bench press. I hit the 100 wayyyy earlier than expected. Think it was June. Huge achievement for me cause I’m shjte at Bench. Unfortunately, or stupidly I mean, I did 2 consecutive cycles of smolov jr Bench to get this goal, all while having a little niggle in my left shoulder. That niggle grew and I prob wouldn’t Bench 80kg now. That also put a halt to my OHP but I did hit 62.5kg.

Deadlift coming soon. I’m gonna work on it until New Years, hopefully piggyback off my stronger legs from smolov and pull the 220. We’ll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

never posted here at the start of the year but I set my self a few goals

compete a few times this year (BJJ Muay thai)

Bench 80kg for a set of 5

squat 100kg

so far I've hit both lifts and have competed twice which is not great but I've had a busy year so I'll take that.

next BJJ comp I'm aiming for is in September might get a muay thai or k1 fight between now and then as well

Only managed 2 bjj comps this year. will have to do better next year

I hit my bench and squat targets but then started a cut for bjj and neglected my bench a bit I can still do 80 but not for sets of 5. managed to keep my squat at 100

Advertisement