Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

What did we think of parkey? As someone who has his torch and pitchfork out for him last week I have to say I was very impressed, not just with him but with Nagy for his confidence in him on that last kick. He had a smile on his face before it that said he just knew it would go right down the middle. The more time goes by the more I like him.

I wonder how he'll do in the rematch against the Lions on Thursday.
    Best kick defence in the league:pac: Against the Panthers yesterday, Gano missed an XP & a short field goal which essentially won the game for the Lions. I've never seen so many kicker meltdowns against the same team. Very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭davetherave

Lionbacker wrote: »
    I wonder how he'll do in the rematch against the Lions on Thursday.
    Best kick defence in the league:pac: Against the Panthers yesterday, Gano missed an XP & a short field goal which essentially won the game for the Lions. I've never seen so many kicker meltdowns against the same team. Very strange.

He looked fairly solid yesterday. There was that kickoff that went out of bounds, but other than that it was a good outing

Yeah, 12 for 20 defending on Field Goals for 60% success rate. NFC North opponents account for 6 of those 8 misses through Crosby and PArkey
    Lions are also 86% on extra points defended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

F*ck Harrison Smith for that cheap shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Yeah, 12 for 20 defending on Field Goals for 60% success rate. NFC North opponents account for 6 of those 8 misses through Crosby and PArkey

I was been facetious regarding that it was anything to do with our field goal defence been the main reason for the misses, but interesting stats you found out about it all the same.

On slightly related news, it looks like Trubisky might miss the game for ye next Thursday. Missed two straight practices now:eek:

Edit: Which i now realise, that's what Oat23 is talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Lionbacker wrote: »

I was been facetious regarding that it was anything to do with our field goal defence been the main reason for the misses, but interesting stats you found out about it all the same.

On slightly related news, it looks like Trubisky might miss the game for ye next Thursday. Missed two straight practices now:eek:

Edit: Which i now realise, that's what Oat23 is talking about.
    I have a really bad feeling about this game. Won't be the end of the world if we lose it, but still... Johnson being out is bad for ye, but we are too good against the run anyway, so ye were always going to be relying on Stafford. The quick turnaround, Ford field, lack of trubisky, and the fact that the Lions have beaten better teams than us already this season all tell me this one could be your day. I'm predicting a low scoring win for the Lions. Would be delighted to be wrong, and if Hicks and Mack play like they did Sunday I think they will, but again, the turnaround doesn't make me confident of that.

I have a really bad feeling about this game. Won't be the end of the world if we lose it, but still... Johnson being out is bad for ye, but we are too good against the run anyway, so ye were always going to be relying on Stafford. The quick turnaround, Ford field, lack of trubisky, and the fact that the Lions have beaten better teams than us already this season all tell me this one could be your day. I'm predicting a low scoring win for the Lions. Would be delighted to be wrong, and if Hicks and Mack play like they did Sunday I think they will, but again, the turnaround doesn't make me confident of that.

I was more confident yesterday than I am today. Think it's down to how fresh our D is as you said. I think Daniel can make the throws necessary though.

It would be nice if we could get the run game going a little today.

3 wins in 12 days against divisional rivals. Amazing.

Props to Chase for what he was able to do today despite having no running game. Didn't turn it over and made some big throws, although he did miss the opportunity to throw to receivers wide open on busted coverages a few times.

How silly must other GMs feel for passing on Eddie Jackson because of a broken leg in college? Wonderful pick in the 4th round.

Correct me if there's some technical reason why this wouldn't happen, but by my reading if the playoffs were today we're be playing the Vikings in soldier Field. I'm childishly excited about this season. That was a savage win to get when they had every excuse not to. God knows we've earned some good days with this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Before yesterday's games CBS were projecting Seahawks @ Bears in the wildcard. I would definitely take that. To be honest I'd back the Bears at home against any NFC team not called the Rams or the Saints.

That was a great win yesterday. All you expected from Daniels was to not commit turnovers and he did more than that. He's earned himself a few more years as a backup somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think the Bears would be better off against the Rams or Saints than the Seahawks or Vikings to be honest.

Anyway, the main question is who do you think the bears will beat in the superbowl?

I hope it's the pats. We have a pretty good record against them in super bowls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So RDS Hows the head this fine Friday ? You were full of the joys of life last night due it being thanksgiving and the bears looking like a serious unit deep into the season. I rememeber what that was like last season. Things going right and winning games you are meant to instead of losing them. Yeah it's a nice feeling for a fan to be involved in the business end of things in last November.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So RDS Hows the head this fine Friday ? You were full of the joys of life last night due it being thanksgiving and the bears looking like a serious unit deep into the season. I rememeber what that was like last season. Things going right and winning games you are meant to instead of losing them. Yeah it's a nice feeling for a fan to be involved in the business end of things in last November.
    Head's grand! My two year old was always going to be in looking for breakfast at 7 in the morning, so hangovers aren't really an option!

Yeah the bears have had a lot of bad, bad years, to the point where we went from losing games we should win to a situation where there was no game we should win. We were the game other teams should win. Nice to not be having the "should we tank for a draft pick" debate for the seventh year in a row (just as well since we'd be tanking for the raiders), but I don't think we are as good as the eagles last year either, and more importantly right now the saints look unreal (more scary than the Rams for sure). Would love to see a decent playoff run though. Still, when you're going well you want to win, the records tell us this kind of thing can be very temporary outside new England. No guarantees that progress this year will be built on next year.

Realised my hope for this year, an 8-8 record, is now the absolute worst case scenario.

Head's grand! My two year old was always going to be in looking for breakfast at 7 in the morning, so hangovers aren't really an option!

Yeah the bears have had a lot of bad, bad years, to the point where we went from losing games we should win to a situation where there was no game we should win. We were the game other teams should win. Nice to not be having the "should we tank for a draft pick" debate for the seventh year in a row (just as well since we'd be tanking for the raiders), but I don't think we are as good as the eagles last year either, and more importantly right now the saints look unreal (more scary than the Rams for sure). Would love to see a decent playoff run though. Still, when you're going well you want to win, the records tell us this kind of thing can be very temporary outside new England. No guarantees that progress this year will be built on next year.

Realised my hope for this year, an 8-8 record, is now the absolute worst case scenario.

Yeah I've seen the saints the last two weeks against the Bengals and the Eagles and it looks so fecking easy for them as a team. I mean it's not a case of if it's when they will go up through the gears and pull away from team. And to think people thought Drew Brees was on the decline ? The only thing that would sour me on them is Sean Payton and his involvement in bountygate. He deserved more than what he got IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

2 Year old?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »

2 Year old?
    Touche. She was two when she was GOING to be looking for breakfast. She was three by the time she came in to shout at me. She seems surprisingly indifferent to the bears victory.

That was bolloxology tbh. Really tough game against the Rams next week, and if we lose that things are starting to look a lot less rosey for us. A lucky recovery of an onside kick (because Beckham didn't fancy getting hit) and some seriously heroic stuff from Cohen shouldn't blind us to the fact we deserved to lose that. "A lot of lads around here with their heads up their holes" as my old hurling manager used to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

That was bolloxology tbh. Really tough game against the Rams next week, and if we lose that things are starting to look a lot less rosey for us. A lucky recovery of an onside kick (because Beckham didn't fancy getting hit) and some seriously heroic stuff from Cohen shouldn't blind us to the fact we deserved to lose that. "A lot of lads around here with their heads up their holes" as my old hurling manager used to say.

3-1 say in the next 4 being optimistic. How are we then? Howard when he gets time on the field is lethal and with Cohen on fire, I'm glass half full 😉

With some of those snaps I wouldn't have wanted Trubisky out there tbh. If the Vikings lose later then it won't be as sore. Green Bay might sit Rodgers now they're done and suddenly the home game against the Packers looks comfortable.

Bears (8-4):

vs Rams
    vs Packers
    @ 49ers
    @ Vikings

Vikings (6-5-1):

@ Seahawks
    vs Dolphins
    @ Lions
    vs Bears

If the Vikings win in Seattle and the Bears lose to the Rams then I'll start to get worried. However the Vikings don't look great. I think they'll be at 8-6-1 coming to Soldier Field in Week 17.

• Advertisement

Bears (8-4):

vs Rams
    vs Packers
    @ 49ers
    @ Vikings

Vikings (6-5-1):

@ Seahawks
    vs Dolphins
    @ Lions
    vs Bears

If the Vikings win in Seattle and the Bears lose to the Rams then I'll start to get worried. However the Vikings don't look great. I think they'll be at 8-6-1 coming to Soldier Field in Week 17.

If we go 2-2 in the last four weeks (which should be doable to say the least) we would only need them to lose one game, a situation over which we have control. We're still in the driving seat here. With the Saints losing on Thursday and us playing the Rams next week, a win yesterday would have gone a long way toward putting us in with a shout of getting a bye in the playoffs, but that was always a long shot. I hope we're not saying "what if" about the decision to bench Trubisky yesterday after losing out on playoffs or losing a wild card game, but either way, we are still very much in control of our own destiny thanks to the Patriots.

I agree that the Vikings don't look good, but we are still pretty inconsistent. A win next week would be a spectacular statement of intent, but the main thing is putting away the Packers (which is never a guarantee, no matter how badly they are playing against everyone else) and the 9ers so that there's less pressure on that Vikings game.

Well, how are we feeling about this weekend? Trubisky is back, and it's not a moment too soon.

I did think we'd win last week but I was wary of going in with a backup on his second run out. Some people had argued he would be better with an extra week training with the starters, but that's also an extra week for a team to spend studying his very obvious limitations and figuring out how to exploit them. But it's not all on him at the same time, the D was not good, particularly in the second half, which has been a bit of a habit all year.

That being said, I'm feeling kind of bullish about Sunday. Nobody is giving us a chance, we're coming off an embarrassing defeat, we have a national stage again, it'll be freezing cold on our home ground, this is the kind of time where good teams can make big statements. I think the D will come out all guns blazing, and hold them to 20 points or so. Their D isn't as good as ours but they have a mean front 7 with Suh and Donald ready to cause damage, but Trubisky is the right man to slip the noose and take advantage of their secondary, which is not so strong, certainly not on par with ours. No doubt this is the best team we'll play all season, and losing would be neither a shock nor a disaster. But that also means the pressure is off us here. I dunno. I thought we'd lose that second Detroit game so my track record is far from perfect on this, but personally, I'm excited about Sunday night.

That being said, I'm feeling kind of bullish about Sunday. Nobody is giving us a chance, we're coming off an embarrassing defeat, we have a national stage again, it'll be freezing cold on our home ground, this is the kind of time where good teams can make big statements. I think the D will come out all guns blazing, and hold them to 20 points or so. Their D isn't as good as ours but they have a mean front 7 with Suh and Donald ready to cause damage, but Trubisky is the right man to slip the noose and take advantage of their secondary, which is not so strong, certainly not on par with ours. No doubt this is the best team we'll play all season, and losing would be neither a shock nor a disaster. But that also means the pressure is off us here. I dunno. I thought we'd lose that second Detroit game so my track record is far from perfect on this, but personally, I'm excited about Sunday night.

We've been written off all year....

We've been written off all year....

Objectively, though, in the week 14 thread, nobody has tipped the Bears. I understand that, obviously, if I was not a Bears fan, objectively I would probably do the same.

But then nobody tipped the Giants to beat us last week either, and that was easily a bigger upset.

Best craic I've had watching football since Thanksgiving 2015.

With that Vikes loss last night we can wrap up the division on Sunday.

At Soldier.
    Against the Pack.

Oh my.

If we beat the Packers on Sunday and win the Division is there a possibility of resting a few guys against the 49ers? Especially if the Saints and the Rams keep winning. Will it make any difference to us for the play offs?

Badabing wrote: »
    If we beat the Packers on Sunday and win the Division is there a possibility of resting a few guys against the 49ers? Especially if the Saints and the Rams keep winning. Will it make any difference to us for the play offs?
    We're two games behind the Rams and saints with three games left, so TECHNICALLY if we win out and they both lose out (or if the Rams went 1-2, as we'd beat them on head to head) we could get the number 1 seed. That's obviously not likely but if we win against the Packers and the Rams and saints win next week then the number two seed would still be possible at that point, so we couldn't rest lads then either. If all three won out we could rest players against the Vikings.

Not sure I'd actually want us resting lads too much. If it wasn't for home advantage I'm not sure I'd even want a bye. We were terrible after our bye and coming back after the break from a Thursday game. Trubisky looked (to be charitable) rusty after his recent break. But as Sunday demonstrated, home advantage is massive for us, so however unlikely it is, I think it's worth battling for.

But anyway beating the Packers is no given, I'll never be relaxed about a game against them, they are NEVER going to doubt they can beat us with Rodgers, they're obviously on the up now without McCarthy, and psychologically while we have a lot to prove, we are going on with huge expectation. Can't look past a Packers game...

I don't see Trubisky being rested. He needs as many snaps as possible.

Maybe the DL can be rotated a bit, particularly Hicks and Mack. Robertson-Harris for one looks like a cracking prospect and he was picked up as an UDFA a year ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭cosatron

We're two games behind the Rams and saints with three games left, so TECHNICALLY if we win out and they both lose out (or if the Rams went 1-2, as we'd beat them on head to head) we could get the number 1 seed. That's obviously not likely but if we win against the Packers and the Rams and saints win next week then the number two seed would still be possible at that point, so we couldn't rest lads then either. If all three won out we could rest players against the Vikings.

Not sure I'd actually want us resting lads too much. If it wasn't for home advantage I'm not sure I'd even want a bye. We were terrible after our bye and coming back after the break from a Thursday game. Trubisky looked (to be charitable) rusty after his recent break. But as Sunday demonstrated, home advantage is massive for us, so however unlikely it is, I think it's worth battling for.

But anyway beating the Packers is no given, I'll never be relaxed about a game against them, they are NEVER going to doubt they can beat us with Rodgers, they're obviously on the up now without McCarthy, and psychologically while we have a lot to prove, we are going on with huge expectation. Can't look past a Packers game...

Plus the fact Rodgers and cobb looked fairly lively for us on sunday and they always turn up in Chicago. Even though our season is terrible, im really looking to this as its the best rivalry in the nfl. here's hoping for a Bj Raji moment :)

• Advertisement

A company that organises autograph signings sent out a tweet to customers to let them know that Bryce Callaghan cannot attend a signing he had scheduled for tonight as he broke his foot.

Terrible news if true. Nobody else has speculated what the injury is before this tweet. I assume they heard this direct from Callaghan.

So McManis will be filling in for Callahan again. I presume they'll see him as a weak point to target. Expecting a lot of passes to go his way, let's hope he holds up like he did last day.

Still, I think that while the team has blown hot and cold during the year this game clearly means a lot to the players, because of Week 1. Hicks is definitely taking Rodgers's response after that game personally. I'm hoping that translates into a fired up D, with the backing of a very, very loud home crowd. I expect they'll go with quick release short passing in the slot a lot, to try and negate the pass rush, that was a formula that worked for them the last day and for several teams since. But our front seven is getting better all the time, and I think we'll put the frighteners on them early. Need a full four quarter performance but if we get that I think we'll keep the Packers sub-20. I don't see us getting a massive number of interceptions, but maybe one...by Fuller...

I expect us to pound out the run game, rely on Howard more, like last week. They have a relatively poor run defense. If Trubisky can keep from overthrowing the ball, we'll be fine. I expect him to have a really good game though. Won't be surprised if he throws an INT early though...

Psychologically I think a win here would be much bigger than it looks on paper. It secures the division, puts the Packers out for the year and prevents them getting a bit of self-belief, which is when they are most dangerous. But also we haven't beaten them in Soldier Field in 8 years. I mean...FFS. If we go 20 points up on Sunday, anyone who starts looking any way relaxed, or even satisfied, before the clock gets to zero, needs to be cut, mid-game. But frankly I'd take a one-point win. Which is what I'm predicting.

Gentlemen we are NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!

Oh my God that was just as satisfying a win as you could have. Always good to beat them but to retake the field, and more importantly the division, while ending their season? God I love it.

Once again, don't forget to raise a glass to the Jon Gruden tonight. What a saint.

Nagy just said in his presser that it's a sprained ankle for Eddie J. Thank christ for that.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Nagy just said in his presser that it's a sprained ankle for Eddie J. Thank christ for that.
    Savage, he is the biggest draft steal in recent memory, and we've had a few lately.

Great to see so many ex players on twitter last night celebrating the win. My favourite is of course Mike Brown. Despite being a Bears hero he stepped out of the limelight, retired to Cali and hardly ever tweets or does interviews so it's always nice to hear from him.

And I love the old school 2001 NFC Central champions hat he still has.

https://twitter.com/21MB30/status/1074410914370093056?s=19

Next year opponents, Home: Vikings Lions Packers Cowboys Giants Chiefs Chargers Saints. Away: Lions Packers Vikings Eagles Redskins Broncos Raiders Rams.

Big game coming up tonight. I'm nervous as hell but quietly confident.

• Advertisement

Not able to make a rational prediction at all, too nervous.

I'm actually on the road today and we were late leaving so I might end up missing the first half entirely (listening on radio possibly). That is not helping my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What do we reckon, I think we'd have been better off hosting the Vikes than the Eagles, was that win last week a mistake?

It's going to be a long 9 months. What a sickening way for it to end.

Mitch was superb though. A lot to look forward to next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

was a grim nightmare. I very sorry for you lots :(

We're good very good. Sick.

As sickening as anything I've ever witnessed watching sport.

• Advertisement

Lads, I honestly don't know how to react as an Eagles Fan after that. I mean the odds of a kicker hitting both the upright and crossbar and NOT going over have to be massive. when the bears got the ball back and got it in FG range I felt it was repeat of the Eagles playoff lose in New Orleans a few years ago where the FG won the game for the saints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

That loss is going to take a while to get over. Heartbreaking way to go out but that's sport for you. Parkey has been the weakest link all season so a tough break to come down to his kick at the end.

As a Bears-supporting neutral can I ask what the hell was that play call for the 2-point conversion? That was a really important play and they handed off to Taylor Gabriel to run up the middle?
    Also the timeout situation at the end, I know Nagy is an Andy Reid guy but seriously, use a timeout after first down. Also spike the ball after that long pass play and save the timeout.

I can't get away from the idea that the Bears beat themselves in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Worst beat I've ever endured. Our formula invites close games so hard to be surprised Parkey came home to roost. In a great year for him Pace whiffed badly there.

While there were a lot of mistakes I'm not too angry at anyone in particular. I thought Vic called a nice game but credit where it's due the Eagles o-line is top drawer... their pass pro made the Jackson loss all the more painful.

Nagy was super conservative early but I assume it was to ease Mitch in and I trust he knows better than me. Trubisky and Robinson were terrific late on.

Really enjoyed the season. There are any number of reasons for a fall off next year but I look forward to it anyway, there's a lot to love about the Bears for the first time I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

As a Bears-supporting neutral can I ask what the hell was that play call for the 2-point conversion? That was a really important play and they handed off to Taylor Gabriel to run up the middle?
    Also the timeout situation at the end, I know Nagy is an Andy Reid guy but seriously, use a timeout after first down. Also spike the ball after that long pass play and save the timeout.

I can't get away from the idea that the Bears beat themselves in this game.

I can live with the 2 point fail but that time-out was rough. Think it was 6 seconds wasted before even calling it, just spike the damn ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement