Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Strypes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Silverchair released their first album Frogstomp when they were only 15. It's far better than the rather generic and mundane stuff I've heard from The Strypes, who seem to be a band that people are embracing simply because of their age and the fact that they are playing something a little less mainstream.

The amount of begrudgers is something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not my cup of tea (yet) but great bunch of lads and i wish them all the best!

niallo24 wrote: »
    The amount of begrudgers is something else.

Nothing at all to do with begrudgery. In fact, is there anything more annoying than people who see any criticism as nothing more than begrudgery. It's nice to see a group of young guys getting out there and performing their music but they simply aren't worthy of all the praise being heaped upon them and were it not for their age then they wouldn't be getting half as much acclaim and coverage. They're not the worst band in the world but they are a long way from being anything other than another generic group producing music akin to a dozen others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd still rate them higher than kodeline, delorentos, and the rest of the nee wave of Irish men playing girlie music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Nothing at all to do with begrudgery. In fact, is there anything more annoying than people who see any criticism as nothing more than begrudgery. It's nice to see a group of young guys getting out there and performing their music but they simply aren't worthy of all the praise being heaped upon them and were it not for their age then they wouldn't be getting half as much acclaim and coverage. They're not the worst band in the world but they are a long way from being anything other than another generic group producing music akin to a dozen others.

You are correct, their age defines a lot of the praise, but what's wrong with that? They are streets ahead of anyone else that age that I have ever seen or heard of. Maybe they will fall flat on their face and not live up to the hype, but its justified in my opinion at the moment and there is certainly a lot of promise there considering their musical knowledge/ability.

niallo24 wrote: »
    You are correct, their age defines a lot of the praise, but what's wrong with that? They are streets ahead of anyone else that age that I have ever seen or heard of. Maybe they will fall flat on their face and not live up to the hype, but its justified in my opinion at the moment and there is certainly a lot of promise there considering their musical knowledge/ability.

They are not streets ahead of other bands who began at such a young age. Silverchair and Ash are just two bands formed at a young age that far surpass The Strypes. I really don't see how they hype is justified. A band release an album that musically is decent but sound like pretty much any other band playing pubs across the country. They do absolutely nothing that hasn't been done better a million times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

Comparing The Strypes with the early Stones, Who Beatles and others is way off the mark, the Stones had 2 members in their mid 20's plus when they made their 1st LP & that was all cover versions.

There's no bands that I know of (apart from manufactured product) that young who have made a debut LP, even The Small Faces were much older.

In the internet age it's possible to get publicity & interest very quickly compared to playing the clubs for years building a following, once the Flat Lake performance was out there it was just a matter of time.

The Strypes playing covers is way better than most bands playing local pubs or average struggling Indie bands IMO. But it will take them 5 years to make a album that will compare favourably to their influences.

At least the younger generations have an alternative to Simon Cowell & his evil "product", hopefully it's the change that many have been waiting a while for :pac:

they are good for music in that they are giving young people an alternative and exposing them to music they might not get exposed to.

however, we must judge the album on its own merits. it would be unfair of us to other bands if we failed to just because they are good for the music scene.

the album is generic and formulaic , strongly reminiscent of Dr Feelgood records. at least they are honest about it, but then some people are heaping lots of praise on it and you have to question someone's motives for doing this. the funny thing is that I dont remember Dr Feelgood getting too much praise but if given a choice between the two Id probably put on a Dr Feelgood record.

They need that one big hit , if they dont get that I dont think they'll fare well after the hype dies down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

I have heard them on the Late Late Show, I think they are really good for being so young. Got alot of potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Silverchair released their first album Frogstomp when they were only 15. It's far better than the rather generic and mundane stuff I've heard from The Strypes, who seem to be a band that people are embracing simply because of their age and the fact that they are playing something a little less mainstream.

Just sounds like generic grunge to me, Pearl Jam, Nirvana with some Nickleback & Slipknot thrown in.

If that's your bag fine, but it's certainly not very original and nowadays is just as retro as The Strypes are!! Fans of that style / genre aren't going to like the Strypes anyway & their style of music & vice versa.

Usually I don't comment on music genres I don't follow or care for, but I was expecting something at least slightly original?

• Advertisement

Just sounds like generic grunge to me, Pearl Jam, Nirvana with some Nickleback & Slipknot thrown in.

If that's your bag fine, but it's certainly not very original and nowadays is just as retro as The Strypes are!! Fans of that style / genre aren't going to like the Strypes anyway & their style of music & vice versa.

Usually I don't comment on music genres I don't follow or care for, but I was expecting something at least slightly original?

It may be basic but its streets ahead of what most of their contempories were churning out at the same time. They also predate Nickleback and Slipknot and were playing together around the same time as Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Also remember that it's 20 years old so of course it doesn't sound fresh or strikingly original but there were few bands at the time who were as exciting as them.

Seen these guys live recently and they are fantastic. Really worth seeing. Incredible energy.

Met them too afterwards and they are really down to earth lads.

Fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Nobody said anything about their new EP "4 Track Mind"!

I think it's great. Wasn't gone on "I don't wanna know" but it is growing on me. It still would be my least favourite song on it though. "So They Say" is my favourite. I love how the second verse starts with "Give a little dribble of divilment..." :P "Hard To Say No" is a lovely tune aswell. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

https://twitter.com/The_Strypes/status/1062621845411770368

Shame really. Ill never forget the gig I saw them play in The Sweeney in 2011 or 2012. Really thought they were for the big time then. Seems a couple of them are going off to be actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is it lack of radio play and lack of money or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Aw, wish I'd gone to see them live if the concert vids on YouTube, such as for the 2016 "Haldern Pop Festival 2016" and "Rock Werchter Belgium" are anything to go by. Best wishes for their new activities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am genuinely disappointed to hear this.

Another person who thought it was only a matter of time before they hit it big. But just never seemed to come.

It certainly wasn't through lack of effort. I only ever got to one of their gigs, at a local spot in Inishowen a couple of years ago. There was maybe only a crowd of 100 or 150 but they gave it 100%, and put on a great show. Having listened to them before then only on CD, I was very surprised with their technical ability, they were excellent live.

But I suppose the music industry doesn't make sense at times, some talentless people seem to sell by the shed load, other much more talented people struggle.

On a final note, my 2 boys of 5 and 9 love listening to them in the car, and I had promised to take the older one to their next local gig.....shame it'll not happen now.

Wish the lads the best of luck whatever they do.

Advertisement