Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1000's of kids making their communion today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Exactly. Every person of integrity and morals should disassociate themselves from that vile organisation.

By that logic, I have no integrity or morals according to your standards. So if I were to disassociate myself from the RCC, I will meet your standard of morals and integrity then?

Isn't that the same line the RCC tried to use to get people to tow the line in the past?

How's that working out for them?

It's not as if there aren't alternatives - the average (still believing) RC these days is protestant in all but name.

But what if they do not want "alternatives"? That's like me suggesting that there are alternatives to your lack of belief. I'm sure you're well aware of the fact, but I'll just go ahead and patronise you anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,528 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

By that logic, I have no integrity or morals according to your standards. So if I were to disassociate myself from the RCC, I will meet your standard of morals and integrity then?

You might.
    Isn't that the same line the RCC tried to use to get people to tow the line in the past?

No. I don't condone or cover up child rape, so that puts me a step above that lot.
    And it's toe the line. Toe.
    But what if they do not want "alternatives"? That's like me suggesting that there are alternatives to your lack of belief. I'm sure you're well aware of the fact, but I'll just go ahead and patronise you anyways...

If Anglicanism really is too much of a stretch for you, you could set up or join an alternative church with identical doctrines to the RCC, but which is not vastly wealthy and at the head of a global conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, and which does not use a fake state to gain sovereign immunity.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,528 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just to clarify - to all intents and purposes Anglicanism is Catholicism without the Pope. The (Anglican) Church of Ireland describes itself as a Catholic Church. it's just not Roman Catholic.

They have scandals of their own but a magnitude or two less, so kick with the left foot it's the moral choice :pac:

Scrap the cap!

You might.

Y'know I absolutely have the utmost respect for you and all HD, but if you judged me by my affiliation with a particular club that you didn't approve of, I'd be thinking meeting your standards of morals and integrity would be the least of my worries.

No. I don't condone or cover up child rape, so that puts me a step above that lot.
    And it's toe the line. Toe.

I'd have taken that sentiment more seriously if it hadn't come with the spelling correction. That being said, I don't condone or cover up child rape either. I also don't see child rape and covering up child rape as an issue unique to the RCC. If I were to disassociate myself from every organisation which tried to cover up child rape, I'd eventually find myself in a position where I would have to distance myself from the whole of humanity.

As I said to Bristolscale earlier, I see no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater - you don't address an issue by running away from it and leaving them to carry on as before, ruining something which I value greatly. You identify and punish the culprits, and work within the organisation to effect change. I'm not going to change the organisation from the outside, nobody is, but by all of us within the organisation saying "why the hell should we leave, we didn't do anything wrong?", it forces the organisation to rethink their policies. LGBT members of the RCC didn't leave. Women who have had abortions didn't leave. People who have been the victims of horrific abuse didn't leave, why the hell should they? Because the leaders of the organisation are corrupt as fcuk? Yeah, then it's time to have them leave, not the vast, vast majority of people who have never done anything to be punished for!!

If Anglicanism really is too much of a stretch for you, you could set up or join an alternative church with identical doctrines to the RCC, but which is not vastly wealthy and at the head of a global conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, and which does not use a fake state to gain sovereign immunity.

Look, I'll put this as simply as I can for you. If I say I like apples, and you say to me - but wouldn't you rather an orange instead? I'm going to tell you what you can do with your orange.

I have massive, massive issues with the RCC, and some of those issues have been covered in this thread, and been mentioned by other posters already, and you know I have never been an apologist of any sort for the RCC. I have never shied away from being critical of the RCC Hierarchy when they absolutely deserved it.

But to suggest that I lack morality and integrity because I choose to exercise my human right to freedom of religion, well, I'm going to tell you with the greatest of respect to blow it out your other end tbh. I would hope you don't take that personally though, it's just a difference of opinion based upon our different perspectives. I still think you're alright all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Boards history: the moment Absolam realized his religion was a sham.
    Alternatively, just another post that Bristolscale7 got fundamentally wrong, nothing new to see here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Yes. If you are in fact a catholic you had a moral obligation and responsibility to reject the church based on its defense and protection of rapists. Failure to do so implies acceptance. In ethical terms, failure to act when you have a special moral obligation is only justifiable in situations like nazi germany where standing up to the institution responsible for atrocities would have resulted in death.
    That's absolute nonsense. Not rejecting something in no way implies accepting it, that's rhetorical rubbish designed to provoke people who aren't part of your personal crusade to feel obliged to take your side or be portrayed as guilty parties. It's disingenuous and shows that unable to rely on your own ability to put forward your position you have to rely on underhand tactics to drag people into agreeing to look they support you when they don't. Godwinning it only proves the point; your attempt doesn't carry enough weight even in your own eyes so you need to throw in Nazism to try and get it across the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Y'know I absolutely have the utmost respect for you and all HD, but if you judged me by my affiliation with a particular club that you didn't approve of, I'd be thinking meeting your standards of morals and integrity would be the least of my worries.

You wouldn't judge someone if they said they were part of the KKK?

You wouldn't judge someone if they said they were part of the KKK?

I don't think HD is a member of the KKK though? (I like to think I've gotten to know people around here a little bit over time), but of course it would raise an eyebrow, in the same way as people assume I couldn't possibly be religious, and then when they find out I am, it raises an eyebrow for them because it's a bit odd and they'd never have thought it. If they decided they could no longer associate with me based on that fact, or based on the fact that I'm a member of the RCC, why should that be my fault?

If their morals and integrity are more important to a person than showing compassion, kindness and caring to another human being, then how are they any different to the people whom they despise?

Edited to give an example:

A friend of mine who is Catholic, black, unmarried mother, someone whom I care for deeply. We're spending the evening together and knocking back a few whiskeys and chatting about life, love, happiness, sadness and everything in between. She loves to hear how my child is getting on and I love to hear how her child is getting on.

So I tell her about my child going to mosque with his mates, and she comes out with "Nooo! Don't let him do that, they will try to convert him!", and she's deadly serious! Now I know my son, and I know his friends, and I'm as good friends with their parents as I am with this girl. I know there's absolutely nobody has any intention of having him convert (hard enough for their parents to get their own children to go to mosque at the best of times :D).

But this friend of mine, I know her opinion is based upon preconceived ideas about other people based upon what she doesn't know of them. I'm absolutely not going to fall out with her or abandon our friendship because she's got some funky views about people she doesn't know.

I can only hope that in time she comes to realise that you can't make generalisations about people on the basis of particular identifiers and make assumptions about whole groups of people on that limited basis! It flies in the face of objective reason, it's the basis of identity politics, and I have absolutely no time whatsoever for that shìte, because as fcuked up and all as religion is, identity politics is so, so much more fcuked up, and is absolutely detrimental to society IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

..I know there's absolutely nobody has any intention of having him convert (hard enough for their parents to get their own children to go to mosque at the best of times :D)...
    Except the Imam, and most of the congregation. Very few religions are not actively trying to recruit new members. Judaism is the only one I can think of, off-hand.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Except the Imam, and most of the congregation. Very few religions are not actively trying to recruit new members. Judaism is the only one I can think of, off-hand.

recedite you're absolutely right in fairness, but I don't think that's a trait exclusive of religion either. I think it's more a people thing though than a religion thing. It's marketing at the end of the day really. Best example of it though I can think of from the perspective of religion are JW's and Scientologists (recognised religion in UK, not too sure about here). They'd put Apple to shame for their ability to convince people their lives aren't complete without a shiny turd, or God, or Thetan Xenu or whoever the fcuk anyway.

If I didn't know better about Jews, I'd say every single one of them were a difficult birth, telling the doctors they're not coming out, just for the sake of argument! :pac:

Pentecostals are a fun bunch alright, lively as fcuk, I go to a Pentecostal service in the afternoon on Sundays (mass in the morning, service in the afternoon), and it's the complete opposite of the Irish Catholic mass, you really feel lifted after coming out, of a service! :pac: But that's the thing - the minute I heard they wanted my PPSN, it left a nasty taste in my mouth that as much as I enjoy the service, it's tainted by the whole money issue again.

I enjoy other religions for what they are, other religions, other belief systems (Hinduism seems alright actually from what I know of it, and the Baha'i faith, if I wasn't RC I'd probably be leaning more that way, but they're a very, very small community in Ireland), but I'm not going to be converting any time soon, when I simply don't feel a need to. I'm perfectly happy as I am.

My son is equally perfectly happy as he is. If there comes a time when he's decided that another religion better suits what he's searching for, I'll be more than happy to encourage him to pursue it. If he feels at some point that what he's searching for won't be found in religion, I'll be more than happy to support him and encourage him to continue to look elsewhere too.

I'd feel it would be wrong of me to raise my child by someone else's standards. That's why I don't envy single parents sometimes - it means they have one less person arguing with them over the best way to raise their children! :D That's why I truly do wish when people don't understand something, that they would never be afraid to ask, rather than assume the worst in people.

Assuming the worst in people you don't understand, is a horrible way for anyone to live IMO, regardless of their particular brand of funky ideology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Does it not bother you that none of it is true though, Jack? How do you reconcile your beliefs with logic, physics, common sense, and lack of evidence? Just stick your head in the sand?

Does it not bother you that none of it is true though, Jack?

No Kenny.

Does that bother you?

How do you reconcile your beliefs with the lack of evidence?

Cognitive dissonance.

Just stick your head in the sand?

Quite the opposite actually Kenny - I've spent my life questioning and searching for the truth, and that's exactly why I've studied numerous funky ideologies, and their history, and their philosophies, and I've tried to source as many primary sources as my resources have allowed me to investigate in the search for the truth.

I've spent my life questioning and searching for the truth

And you ended up as a RC - lol. What a coincidence though - that was the exact same religion you were baptised under. Phew! Lucky that was the 1 true one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I know you Jack, you're a smart bloke, you're a compassionate individual. It's a riddle to me how someone like you can associate with a backward organisation. I know a lot of people like you, people who have their heads screwed on and who are open minded but who also go to mass every Sunday. I don't judge them for it but it's a hard thing to understand. Do you think it's healthy to bring your son there with all the anti gay, anti women sentiment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

It's like David St. Hubbins said:
    Before I met Jeanine, my life was cosmically in shambles,
    it was ah...I was using bits and pieces of whatever Eastern
    philosophies happened to drift through my transom and she
    sort of sorted it out for me, straightened it out for me,
    gave me a path, you know, a path to follow

• Advertisement

It's like David St. Hubbins said:

Yeah, which is why it was satire & taking the p*ss out of people that way inclined.

And you ended up as a RC - lol. What a coincidence though - that was the exact same religion you were baptised under. Phew! Lucky that was the 1 true one!

Showing a fundamental misunderstanding there Kenny. I never said anything about one true religion.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I know you Jack, you're a smart bloke, you're a compassionate individual. It's a riddle to me how someone like you can associate with a backward organisation. I know a lot of people like you, people who have their heads screwed on and who are open minded but who also go to mass every Sunday. I don't judge them for it but it's a hard thing to understand. Do you think it's healthy to bring your son there with all the anti gay, anti women sentiment?

eviltwin there's more anti-gay, anit-women, anti... well, anti- "anyone who isn't me" that he's exposed to outside the church, than goes on inside the church tbh, and it's relentless, seven days a week. The half an hour in the week where I only have to deal with telling the money baskets guy to piss off is almost a welcome relief.

I could tell the man I've known 15 years to shove the anti-marriage equality propaganda up his hole the time of the marriage referendum. I'm not proud of it because it just wasn't me, but at the same time I said he really should know me better, and he does, and he knows my positions on a number of issues, and chances are he knows me more intimately as a person than my own wife, just without the sex.

Oh we made up afterwards of course, but it wasn't the first time we had a disagreement, and I have no doubt it won't be the last either. Still no sex though... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Does it not bother you that none of it is true though, Jack?
    No Kenny.
    Plenty of people only go to mass/church/mosque for the social aspect and the feel good factor. Its a form of entertainment.

So why are you then so "dead set" against paying them their money?
    If I go to the cinema, I don't mind paying for a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Hope all the kids making their communnion and confirmation today have a great day.
    My own son made his communion a couple of weeks ago and feels very close to god these days.
    He loves going to mass and is very interested in his religion.
    Even though i don't have much interest in religion, i make the effort for him.

Just because there are some peado priests out there, doesn't mean that some athiest should come on here ranting that kids shouldn't make their communnion!
    Im sure there are lots of peado athiests out there as well.

recedite wrote: »
    Plenty of people only go to mass/church/mosque for the social aspect and the feel good factor. Its a form of entertainment.

So why are you then so "dead set" against paying them their money?
    If I go to the cinema, I don't mind paying for a ticket.

If you invite someone to a feast in your house, you'd make for a very poor host if you charged them for giving you the privilege of their company.

It's the vulgarity of it I can't stand. There's no humility, there's no graciousness. It adds nothing, but takes so much away IMO. But like I said, that's not an issue that can be addressed from outside the Church, it has to come from within the Church if the Church has any hope of reform, which I believe can be done, and is happening, because people are getting sick of the greed and the hypocrisy of their leaders.

• Advertisement

Showing a fundamental misunderstanding there Kenny. I never said anything about one true religion.

eviltwin there's more anti-gay, anit-women, anti... well, anti- "anyone who isn't me" that he's exposed to outside the church, than goes on inside the church tbh, and it's relentless, seven days a week. The half an hour in the week where I only have to deal with telling the money baskets guy to piss off is almost a welcome relief.

I could tell the man I've known 15 years to shove the anti-marriage equality propaganda up his hole the time of the marriage referendum. I'm not proud of it because it just wasn't me, but at the same time I said he really should know me better, and he does, and he knows my positions on a number of issues, and chances are he knows me more intimately as a person than my own wife, just without the sex.

Oh we made up afterwards of course, but it wasn't the first time we had a disagreement, and I have no doubt it won't be the last either. Still no sex though... :p

Yeah but you aren't bringing a son to be a captive audience to those people are you. If you heard some nut ranting and raving about gay people on tv would you agree with them? I'm guessing not and yet you're still invested in an organisation that says it's against nature and a perversion. That's what I don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I don't think HD is a member of the KKK though? (I like to think I've gotten to know people around here a little bit over time), but of course it would raise an eyebrow, in the same way as people assume I couldn't possibly be religious, and then when they find out I am, it raises an eyebrow for them because it's a bit odd and they'd never have thought it.

So you would judge someone for being a member of the KKK, just because it's odd? Not because the KKK is racist? You wouldn't judge then as racist too?
    If they decided they could no longer associate with me based on that fact, or based on the fact that I'm a member of the RCC, why should that be my fault?

If their morals and integrity are more important to a person than showing compassion, kindness and caring to another human being, then how are they any different to the people whom they despise?

What has morals and integrity got to do with the church? What has compassion, kindness and caring got to do with the church? The haven't shown any of that to the likes of gay or trans people, not to mention the children the raped, abused, sold or murdered.

Yeah but you aren't bringing a son to be a captive audience to those people are you. If you heard some nut ranting and raving about gay people on tv would you agree with them? I'm guessing not and yet you're still invested in an organisation that says it's against nature and a perversion. That's what I don't understand.

It's not like they go on about it though all the time eviltwin, and more and more they're rolling back on it as they realise that more and more of their members identify as LGBT. That's literally the Church changing from within. I see that as a good thing.

So you would judge someone for being a member of the KKK, just because it's odd? Not because the KKK is racist? You wouldn't judge then as racist too?

I generally don't give two fcuks what organisations anyone affiliates themselves with. If they made any sort of hateful comments about anyone, or any group, then I'd give a shìt.

What has morals and integrity got to do with the church? What has compassion, kindness and caring got to do with the church? The haven't shown any of that to the likes of gay or trans people, not to mention the children the raped, abused, sold or murdered.

We were talking about people, not the Church.

It's not like they go on about it though all the time eviltwin, and more and more they're rolling back on it as they realise that more and more of their members identify as LGBT. That's literally the Church changing from within. I see that as a good thing.

That's a cop out. The church actively campaigned against ssm last year and have not changed their minds on the subject. It's not acceptable to the church to be a practicing homosexual. What message is that to give to a child? What about the church's position on abortion even in cases of rape or when the mother is a child herself? Is that the kind of morality you want your son adopting? The church and pope Francis in particular have come out with the softly spoken language of compassion and tolerance but when that's at odds with their core message it's meaningless. Someone who takes their shoes off to kick your head in is still kicking your head in.

That's a cop out. The church actively campaigned against ssm last year and have not changed their minds on the subject. It's not acceptable to the church to be a practicing homosexual. What message is that to give to a child? What about the church's position on abortion even in cases of rape or when the mother is a child herself? Is that the kind of morality you want your son adopting? The church and pope Francis in particular have come out with the softly spoken language of compassion and tolerance but when that's at odds with their core message it's meaningless. Someone who takes their shoes off to kick your head in is still kicking your head in.

I get where you're coming from and it absolutely wasn't meant as a cop out. I mean, did I adopt that morality?

Of course I didn't, and neither has my son. In fact whereas I'm far more conservative, he's far more liberal, he's got a mind of his own.

Like I said, I have fundamental disagreement with the Church on many issues, but I don't agree that what Pope Frank has said is meaningless, clearly it has an influence on society. If someone is a hate mongering fcuknut, they're going to be a hate mongering fcuknut regardless of religion. Their religion simply provides them with a convenient justification. For everyone else, there's identity politics.

I get where you're coming from and it absolutely wasn't meant as a cop out. I mean, did I adopt that morality?

Of course I didn't, and neither has my son. In fact whereas I'm far more conservative, he's far more liberal, he's got a mind of his own.

Like I said, I have fundamental disagreement with the Church on many issues, but I don't agree that what Pope Frank has said is meaningless, clearly it has an influence on society. If someone is a hate mongering fcuknut, they're going to be a hate mongering fcuknut regardless of religion. Their religion simply provides them with a convenient justification. For everyone else, there's identity politics.

What do you get out of the church that you think would be missing if you didn't go?

What do you get out of the church that you think would be missing if you didn't go?

A sense of belonging to a community, a religious identity that aligns with my spiritual identity, a sense of purpose.

If they made any sort of hateful comments about anyone, or any group, then I'd give a shìt.
    Your church does that all the time. The pope - your leader- makes his views on gay people very clear. He reminds us every few weeks that it's an abomination. Quite the hypocrite, aren't you?
    mackeire wrote: »
    My own son made his communion a couple of weeks ago and feels very close to god these days.
    My daughter didn't make hers last week, and feels very close to logical thought & freedom of expression.

Your church does that all the time. The pope - your leader- makes his views on gay people very clear. He reminds us every few weeks that it's an abomination.

My daughter didn't make hers last week, and feels very close to freedom of expression.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with your attitude, as the religious children feel close to God due to their parents example.
    What you really can't say Kenny, is that your child is better or more clever or whatever than other kids.

All parents bring their children up the best way they can, & to their belief system.
    Just because you think your right, doesn't mean one eyed jack is wrong, for example.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    All parents bring their children up the best way they can, & to their belief system.
    Just because you think your right, doesn't mean one eyed jack is wrong, for example.

I know he's doing his best. But what he believes IS wrong - there is zero evidence for a god. Believing in a 2000 year old book filled with nonsense is really gullible & an insult to anyone's intellect - especially as it contradicts everything we know about physics, how the world works, and what we as people experience about the world in our own lifetimes.

It's just unfortunate he doesn't realise that, passes his ignorance onto his kids, and thus the cycle continues. Ignorance perpetuates ignorance - that's how religion works. Get them while they're young & have the people they look up to most (their parents) indoctrinate them during their formative years, so it's harder to shake. A lot of us do shake it off when we reach our teens and start exercising common sense & logic - but some of us are too weak to.

I know he's doing his best. But what he believes IS wrong - there is zero evidence for a god. Believing in a 2000 year old book filled with nonsense is really gullible & an insult to anyone's intellect - especially as it contradicts everything we know about physics, how the world works, and what we as people experience about the world in our own lifetimes.

It's just unfortunate he doesn't realise that, passes his ignorance onto his kids, and thus the cycle continues.

gee Kenny , way to be tolerant , do you not respect other people's believes?
    Just because you THINK you are right, doesn't make you right.
    Science is constantly changing, something scientists say today could be proved wrong in a few years.

FYI, I don't even believe in God at this stage, never mind organised religion ( which I never took to) but at least most religions teach tolerance.
    Maybe you should try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

The elephant in the room is that atheists lack an objective moral authority. Everything they say is subjective. According to their own whims and desires.
    On what basis can they judge homosexuality, incest, ssm etc. to be good or bad.
    I heard Lawrence Krauss say in a debate that incest could be allowed, (if protection was used.) As if condoms are foolproof.

The elephant in the room is that atheists lack an objective moral authority. Everything they say is subjective. According to their own whims and desires.
    I heard Lawrence Krauss say in a debate that incest could be allowed, (if protection was used.) As if condoms are foolproof.

lol - it's not en elephant in the room at all. I have my own moral compass - and it's certainly better than the churches.

I know he's doing his best. But what he believes IS wrong - there is zero evidence for a god.

On the flipside. There is zero evidence that God does not exist. That doesn't seem to stop you from preaching that God doesn't exist.

That doesn't just apply to atheism, many a Catholic has raped a child, robbed, committed incest etc. I don't need to believe in a God to be a good person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Your church does that all the time. The pope - your leader- makes his views on gay people very clear. He reminds us every few weeks that it's an abomination. Quite the hypocrite, aren't you?

My daughter didn't make hers last week, and feels very close to logical thought & freedom of expression.

I doubt either child had a choice.

lol - it's not en elephant in the room at all. I have my own moral compass - and it's certainly better than the churches.

Okay.
    Let's scrutinize your "moral compass."
    Humans are animals and are made from star dust.

Is incest right or wrong?
    Please justify your answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭Christy42

gee Kenny , way to be tolerant , do you not respect other people's believes?
    Just because you THINK you are right, doesn't make you right.
    Science is constantly changing, something scientists say today could be proved wrong in a few years.

FYI, I don't even believe in God at this stage, never mind organised religion ( which I never took to) but at least most religions teach tolerance.
    Maybe you should try it.

If they could practise it it would be great. Didn't a school stop a pregnant girl from entering the school a few years back because she was a bad influence?
    Look at how society has improved whether it be about gay marriage or marital rape becoming illegal and you will see the church goes against progress. What bit of difference to them did it make if gay people got married or if condoms were sold in Ireland?

About the issue of paying in court my favourite time I have been in a church involved a priest saying how the priests at the time of jess were terrible dressing up in special outfits to show off their status in society and demanding money from church goers. This was right before the priest asked for the collection while standing in his fancy robes. Was really curious how he thought there was any difference.

• Advertisement

That doesn't just apply to atheism, many a Catholic has raped a child, robbed, committed incest etc. I don't need to believe in a God to be a good person.

I'm not here to defend Catholicism.
    Certainly not all religious people are free from doing "wrong" just like not all godless people are bereft from doing "right."

Why is child rape, robbing and committing incest wrong, in your opinion?

Making stuff up again Kenny? Just when I thought we might actually really be getting somewhere in understanding each other. If you were actually looking for an example of hypocrisy, the hypocrisy is in the fact that I identify as a member of the RCC, yet I disagree with the Hierarchy's stance on homosexuality. That quite frankly, is a hypocrisy I can live with, and feel no guilt in doing so whatsoever. For all your moralising about your freedom of expression, you seem to think that it's only you has that right.

I'd think that was hypocritical myself, but I wouldn't see it as my right to use my freedom of expression to pass judgement upon you.

I'm delighted for your daughter, perhaps she could teach you a thing or two about what she's learned. Meanwhile my young lad is gone to a Communion today, his Muslim friends cousin is Roman Catholic.

I'm not here to defend Catholicism.
    Certainly not all religious people are free from doing "wrong" just like not all godless people are bereft from doing "right."

Why is child rape, robbing and committing incest wrong, in your opinion?

Ahh stop ffs :rolleyes:

Atheist want to mock religious practices like communion, yet champion the cause of homosexuals that want to perform marriage - which is a religious practice.
    Complete nonsense.

Atheist want to mock religious practices like communion, yet champion the cause of homosexuals that want to perform marriage - which is a religious practice.
    Complete nonsense.

Marriage is a legal partnership first, a religious ceremony second

Complete nonsense.

My friend got married last year, there was no religion involved.
    I fail to understand your point?

• Advertisement

It's just unfortunate he doesn't realise that, passes his ignorance onto his kids, and thus the cycle continues. Ignorance perpetuates ignorance - that's how religion works.

How do you explain your own ignorance then Kenny if it wasn't religion? Or was it your rejection of religion that made you feel like you were now an enlightened human being? Or was it... science?

Get them while they're young & have the people they look up to most (their parents) indoctrinate them during their formative years, so it's harder to shake.

Kenny that could be applied to any type of parenting that you personally do not approve of. I can guarantee you for a fact that my child is nowhere near as ignorant as you're currently displaying.

A lot of us do shake it off when we reach our teens and start exercising common sense & logic - but some of us are too weak to.

Kenny just how old are you exactly, because you have yet to display so much as an ounce of common sense or logic?

My friend got married last year, there was no religion involved.
    I fail to understand your point?

Marriage originates from religion.
    Is your friend an atheist?

Marriage is a legal partnership first, a religious ceremony second
    A religious partnership with its basis in religion.
    Traditionally all the laws pertaining to marriage are derived from religious principles. .i.e: (age, gender, filial relations, religious affiliation, economics etc.)
    In most christian countries, the secular establishment inherited the bulk of the marriage laws from the church.

A religious partnership with its basis in religion.
    Traditionally all the laws pertaining to marriage are derived from religious principles. .i.e: (age, gender, filial relations, religious affiliation, economics etc.)
    In most christian countries, the secular establishment inherited the bulk of the marriage laws from the church.

Marriage is first and foremost a legal issue. If my priest marries me it might be a religious union but until I satisfy the legal side of things it's not a valid marriage . You can have a marriage without the religious side, you can't have it without the legal side. The state sets the parameters for marriage, not a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Can't believe the OP received so many thanks.

I know a lot of priests (friends of the family, relatives etc.) and not alone would they be incredibly insulted by the OP, they would also feel terribly hurt.

What a horrible thing to post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement