Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-05-2013, 23:01   #46
pc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolahUrma View Post
What's the take on sandy ford?
Gahh, this is making me twitch! :-)

Last edited by pc11; 23-05-2013 at 23:06.
Advertisement
23-05-2013, 23:04   #47
wolfpawnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biologic View Post
Where are you people getting this from? It's total rubbish. All the Americans I know in my class are on massive government loans, and there's none of the snobbery mentioned. And the US students generally have much more impressive academics than the Irish in my class.

This is getting silly. It doesn't take a whole lot of common sense to see why smaller class sizes are better.
Well the Canadian I was referring to in particular, as you can see from my post was an individual and was funded by her parents. Some of them are from wealthy backgrounds.

Smaller size does not guarantee better teaching, but my partner preferred it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc11 View Post
I take it that much of this, particularly the UCD criticism, refers to undergrad med, yes? I assume there is much less time in GEM for random microbiology labs.
Yeah, undergrad.
23-05-2013, 23:06   #48
WoolahUrma

Quote:
Gahh, this is making me twitch!
Auto correct on iPhone
23-05-2013, 23:07   #49
pc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpawnat View Post

Yeah, undergrad.
Then, in fairness, it's not helping this discussion.
23-05-2013, 23:08   #50
wolfpawnat

Quote:
Then, in fairness, it's not helping this discussion.
Didn't realise the OP was asking for postgrad, my apologies.
Advertisement
23-05-2013, 23:08   #51
pc11

Quote:
Auto correct on iPhone
I'll add it to the list of reasons why I hate the iPhone...
23-05-2013, 23:14   #52
WoolahUrma

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpawnat View Post
Didn't realise the OP was asking for postgrad, my apologies.
A lot of the info was very useful, thanks
23-05-2013, 23:15   #53
Biologic

Quote:
Any insight on summer placements? Is it true that they have someone assigned to usmle applications? What's the take on sandy ford? How much time do you spend in Stephens green?

I have no experience of the people that attend either college but in my experience med does throw up a few status hungry peaches.
Anyone I know of in RCSI that went for Summer placements ended up getting what they wanted. The placements were pretty varied. Some did research and got paid for it, though it wasn't much. One person shadowed the state pathologist for a while (she lectures us in 2nd year), which seemed really cool.
Yeah there's a vice dean in RCSI who is specifically assigned to manage USMLE stuff. And there's a department in Beaumont that does the same.
In the whole first 2 years you don't spend much time in Stephen's green. Anatomy is done there, so that's 2 afternoons per week in first year. Then for 3 days in second year you go there for some tropical medicine stuff.
23-05-2013, 23:23   #54
WoolahUrma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biologic View Post
Anyone I know of in RCSI that went for Summer placements ended up getting what they wanted. The placements were pretty varied. Some did research and got paid for it, though it wasn't much. One person shadowed the state pathologist for a while (she lectures us in 2nd year), which seemed really cool.
Yeah there's a vice dean in RCSI who is specifically assigned to manage USMLE stuff. And there's a department in Beaumont that does the same.
In the whole first 2 years you don't spend much time in Stephen's green. Anatomy is done there, so that's 2 afternoons per week in first year. Then for 3 days in second year you go there for some tropical medicine stuff.
What do you think of the year? As in classmates. Do you have much time off?
Advertisement
23-05-2013, 23:32   #55
Biologic

Quote:
What do you think of the year? As in classmates. Do you have much time off?
Check out the thread I started a while ago, I think it's called RCSI GEP1 summary. It has all this stuff and more in it.
Thanks from:
24-05-2013, 12:25   #56
House_QC

Quote:
I'll add it to the list of reasons why I hate the iPhone...
Just turn the auto-correct function off. I have.
24-05-2013, 12:32   #57
House_QC

The general feel I'm getting from this thread is that, given the opportunity, most people would opt for RCSI over UCD.

The organisation issue makes me a little wary of UCD. Can it really be disorganised? The fees are fairly similar in the wider scheme of things, i.e. they're both very expensive! If I'm going to fork out over 60-70k for a four-year course + another 40-50k on accommodation and living expenses, I want to make sure the course is well-organised.

Smaller class size doesn't really matter to me. Four years is long enough to get to know everyone in the class - so a larger class might be more interesting.

I'm more concerned about accommodation and living expenses at this point. Can anyone offer a realistic estimate for accommodation and living expenses in Dublin for someone coming from abroad, please? Also, is it easy enough to cycle around Dublin, including to further out venues at RCSI? I don't have a "mini-cooper".

Thanks!
24-05-2013, 14:24   #58
pc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by House_QC View Post
Just turn the auto-correct function off. I have.
If I had an iPhone I would. Of course in a modern smartphone you can easily control the auto correct.
Thanks from:
24-05-2013, 16:03   #59
WoolahUrma

Quote:
If I had an iPhone I would. Of course in a modern smartphone you can easily control the auto correct.
My spelling is bad so I do like it overall.

Was that a snooty jab at my precious iPhone?

If so, how dare you!! (Winkey face)

I got it on a two year contract and although I do love it I've paid we'll for it by now. My mate works in a phone shop and he likes the galaxy series.

I am looking forward to a new laptop, rcsi or not.
24-05-2013, 16:10   #60
WoolahUrma

Quote:
Originally Posted by House_QC View Post
The general feel I'm getting from this thread is that, given the opportunity, most people would opt for RCSI over UCD.

The organisation issue makes me a little wary of UCD. Can it really be disorganised? The fees are fairly similar in the wider scheme of things, i.e. they're both very expensive! If I'm going to fork out over 60-70k for a four-year course + another 40-50k on accommodation and living expenses, I want to make sure the course is well-organised.

Smaller class size doesn't really matter to me. Four years is long enough to get to know everyone in the class - so a larger class might be more interesting.

I'm more concerned about accommodation and living expenses at this point. Can anyone offer a realistic estimate for accommodation and living expenses in Dublin for someone coming from abroad, please? Also, is it easy enough to cycle around Dublin, including to further out venues at RCSI? I don't have a "mini-cooper".

Thanks!
Well if you want to get along, the mini is a must apparently. I'm going to stick a few racing stripes onto the jetta and pass myself off that way.

If you have enough for Dublin I'd be on daft.ie now. I'm looking at goats town for first year at least. Leave it long enough and you'll be caught out on price, housemates or both.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion