Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Alibaba

loulou87 wrote: »
    Really frustrating that Amanda got that job.
    She doesn't live in ireland so RTE will pay for her weekly flights, taxis and 5*hotel stays and she's rubbish. She's the least personable female presenter they could have picked :(
    I didn't want to like Nicky Byrne but he's been great in my opinion.

Sinead Kennedy would be great for that job.

Good personality , sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I was pleasantly surprised by tonight's show. Just like the BBC show there was way to much filler, there was no need for the show to be 2hrs with only 5 dancers. I expect the same next week but when all 'celebrities' are on the show in week 3 it should be as bloated. I think Hughie may have used up the fake tan budget already. The Hometown guy should be around for the final. I like Des he came across quite well, I always wonder what he does in RTE when the GAA season is quite.

I didn't think Amanda was that bad. I don't get why RTE are so keen on Nicky Byrne, he's kinda bland and non descript really but he seems to be popular in Montrose. I'll be tuning in next week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm really surprised at the level of negativity.
    This was never going to be SCD.

Apart from some sound issues, and Amanda Byram needing to remember she's presenting in Ireland, I thought it was pretty good.
    It was a bit longer than necessary but as others have said, when we get to everyone dancing each week, it'll even out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

I expected to hate it but I really enjoyed it, I thought the presenting was very good ,Amanda did well, Nicky was a bit to scripted starting off but he seemed to relax and really get into it then , I thought the bit where he interviewed the guys on the couch was done very well

It was definitely a bit too long at 120 mins , it's never going to hit the heights of strictly , even the professionals couldn't match their strictly counterparts but overall I think it's going to be a fun series

Generally I slate rte but I can't complain to much about this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

To be fair, quite a few of the pros are every bit as good as the ones on Strictly. In fact, none of them have come from the likes of Burn the Floor and all of them have proper Ballroom or Latin pedigree, something that can't be said about Karen Clifton or Jeanette!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

It was all so forced. All the whooping and cheering during Des's dance was just pitiful, not even friends and family would do it, it sounded like RTE staff were being paid to do it.

Not sure if you have ever been to a live Tv show, but the floor staff do encourage the audience to whoop and hollar, and more or less tell you when to clap and cheer. Have been to a few ( TG4 and RTE) and this has been the case at all of them. Similarly, you can see it on the late late and Ray Darcy from time to time when the floor manager or whoever gets caught on camera doing it.

I can understand why they do it, but it does result in that forced feeling. Not sure if that happened last night, but any TV show I've been in the audience for , that has been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

vkid wrote: »
    Not sure if you have ever been to a live Tv show, but the floor staff do encourage the audience to whoop and hollar, and more or less tell you when to clap and cheer. Have been to a few ( TG4 and RTE) and this has been the case at all of them. Similarly, you can see it on the late late and Ray Darcy from time to time when the floor manager or whoever gets caught on camera doing it.

I can understand why they do it, but it does result in that forced feeling. Not sure if that happened last night, but any TV show I've been in the audience for , that has been the case.

I would have said they didn't do enough encouraging of whooping and hollering!

The applause at times sounded pitifully thin. Think they should consider canned applause if that keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭golfball37

The music and acoustics were dreadful. The presenters were wooden and unnatural. Dancers were very good and judges fine too.
    Shouldn't have taken two hours either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Really enjoyed the first episode! Looking forward to the rest of the series!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Arcadian Dublin

The boyband member looks like a young Gary Glitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

The boyband member looks like a young Gary Glitter.

I don't want to be in that gang!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭mulbot

wawaman wrote: »
    I don't want to be in that gang!!

You wanna be in my gang?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

mulbot wrote: »
    You wanna be in my gang?

Oh yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Does anybody know the name of the song in the TV ad for DWTS? I like the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

seablue wrote: »
    Does anybody know the name of the song in the TV ad for DWTS? I like the sound of it.

Sia - Move Your Body

Waaay too much fillers. Music and sound not great. Judges trying too hard. Will Des C be the Ed Balls of this show? Will I bother watching second show? Doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Waaay too much fillers. Music and sound not great. Judges trying too hard. Will Des C be the Ed Balls of this show? Will I bother watching second show? Doubtful.

Bet you you will! ;)

Bet you you will! ;)

Maaayyybe. Just to prove myself right. I might record it and ff the filler bits.

Maaayyybe. Just to prove myself right. I might record it and ff the filler bits.

Bet you won't!! :D:D Sure we are Irish, whats the point watching something if you have nothing to give out about! Boards would be out of business!

Bet you won't!! :D:D Sure we are Irish, whats the point watching something if you have nothing to give out about! Boards would be out of business!

Much as I love Strictly, that is what I always did! I go out every Saturday night, so recorded and either watched when I got home or Sunday morning. I watch the dance, judges comments and scoring and then ff to next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

As regards the line up of dancers, I was surprised that there wasn't someone from Mrs. Brown's Boys or a actor/actress who played even a minor role in Love Hate. Like or loath them, 2 of the biggest TV series of the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I missed the show last Sunday night so this afternoon I watched it on the RTE Player with my 10 year old daughter. We were pleasantly surprised. At last RTE have given us an entertainment show that is 100% misery free.

Here are our positives and negatives from the first week -

Positives

Excellent production values - We loved the opening dance routine.

Nicky Byrne - he has become a warm, friendly and natural presenter, we would like him to take the main presenter role and leave the backstage interviews to Amanda.

Aidan (Kerry Footballer) we were impressed with his dancing, we reckon he might be one to watch.

Des Cahill
    - We're giving Des 10/10 for having the liathroidí to take part in the competition, it's gotta be hard for him, being surrounded by younger and more athletic dancers. It reminds me of when Ann Widdlecombe was on Strictly Come Dancing, there were weeks when I wanted to watch from behind the sofa but part of me also wanted to her to last another week. I hope Des hangs around for a while, it would be a boring show if everyone was a great dancer.

Brian (Judge) - We like Brian, he is giving the dancers constructive feedback while Loraine and Julian are being a bit too nicey nice (so far).

Negatives

Amanda - she is PAINFUL, PAINFUL, PAINFUL (with 100% Extra Free) ......and I've never forgiven or forgotten her role in that hidious programme, The Swan. We're stuck with her for this series but I would like to see more of Nicky and less of Amanda.

The female costumes
    - they are cheap and tacky looking compared to the ones on Strictly Come Dancing ones. Actually, they look like they were made by transition year students. (One exception, Des C's partner Karen had a beautiful pink dress).

Lack of a band
    - We would like see a live band on the show, just like Strictly.

Filler - A little too much filler but it's not a dealbreaker, we'll tolerate it, years of watching Tubs and D'arcy has toughened us up.

The Good, The Bad & The Funny

I suspect that Amanda's dress cost more than all the female costumes put together .........Amanda's dress provided some amusement and a little concern in our house. The 10 year old was very concerned about it...she thought that the dress was transparent ....and she spent the first hour of the show hoping that the 'buttons' on Amanda's chest wouldn't show :eek: She was somewhat relieved when I explained Amanda's 'buttons' were safely covered up under a thick layer of nude coloured fabric :D

screen-shot-2017-01-08-at-19-28-39.png

Byram is that bad with her fake Eurovision host style enthusiasm that she makes Nicky Byrne seem like a natural host

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Hughie looks like he has been dragged through a field of cow sh!te!

Way too much fake tan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Switched over for about 60 seconds while Nicky & Amanda were doing their opening link,

Mentioned the dancers were after that 'famous' glitter ball trophy....

And I'm done.
    I'd expect the ratings to take a plunge this week as well,

Why do Nicky and Amanda have to make so many terrible rehearsed jokes and alliterations everytime they speak

A break already :eek:

The advert for Ashford Castle cracks me up, €285 per night to stay there and they make it sound like they're giving you a great deal by throwing in breakfast for free :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Nicky Byrne just announced at his intro that its "ladies ****e" instead of "ladies night". Had to rewind it to be sure...Brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Well if this pair don't end up in bed, I'll eat my hat.

Advertisement