Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I've never watched Strictly so can't compare which is prob just as well..enjoyed it apart from it being too long of a show..
    I think the one from Red Rock will be good..

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

That wasn't a bad effort at all despite it being too long. I think I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The first show is always a bit meh even in the UK version. You are getting to know the celebs and professional dancers. The standard is usually only okay because of nerves, it tends to go on a bit long.....

But I think once it finds its feet so to speak it will be great.

It's just a shame they are not using a live band. The sound of the music tracks has a bit of an echo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

leahyl wrote: »
    I can't believe the girls aren't dancing tonight! What have they been doing for the last 2 hours?!

2 hours. That's probably enough time to have given the women to have split up in to two groups and start b1tching about each other. :pac:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is this a "whoooosh" moment for me, or have you been watching the same show that I was??? :confused:

The production value was incredible for a first night, and for RTE. Have you seen the Late Late Show? They cant move a new band on to the set without somebody tripping over the hit hats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

leahyl wrote: »
    Ok...soooo watching next week....for my sins!!!

Typical me anyway, I'm easily reeled in. Judge with dickie bow is pretty good. Nicky is really good but Amanda soooo wooden

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

JosDel wrote: »
    Ah that's Bridget out of redrock

Also the third Farrah in Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

needs a live band and singers and more than 3 judges

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Bris14 wrote: »
    Who was the one in the yellow dress? She is stunning.

I have to admit the only one I know is Teresa Mannion ��

Thalia Heffernan-she's a model. I thought she would appear too thin, but she might have had a meal or two inbetween-she looked healthier.

Bris14 wrote: »
    Who was the one in the yellow dress? She is stunning.

I have to admit the only one I know is Teresa Mannion ��

Ksenia Zsikhotska apparently.

very sexy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I really enjoyed that. It was definitely too long but after next week they'll all be dancing on the same night so it'll flow a bit better.
    Tonight was about introducing the dancers. Remember, SCG has a dedicated show to introduce everyone that is on weeks before the competition begins.
    For the first show and the first time RTE have ever done this, it was pretty bloody good. The set looked very impressive and it has to meet a certain standard because it's a franchise. That's why Darren Bennett is executive producer.
    Minor gripe insofar as there is no live band and they should do a separate feed for the music instead of using the studio feed but apart from that, it looked great.
    I thought Nicky was a very good presenter. Not a huge fan of Amanda but she was very professional. The judges were great. Each has a specific role and they filled it perfectly. Julian is definitely the "Bruno", he said as much on the radio during the week.
    I've spent the last year or two complaining bitterly about all the props used in SCD and also the nonsense in the practice clips. On RTE's DWTS, we see proper clips of them practicing and no bloody props during the dances, proper ballroom and Latin costumes and the music for the dances was spot on. Definite thumbs up from me.
    I reckon people should five it another two weeks. Once all the male and female dancers are on the same night, it'll flow better.
    Oh and the professional dances were bloody good!!!

368100 wrote: »
    Oh dear lord......*hides behind hands with that ending

I was the same Heidi, but that's the sort of cringe that I was expecting for the entire show. And they managed to avoid it until the last minute.

Heroditas wrote: »
    For the first show and the first time RTE have ever done this, it was pretty bloody good. The set looked very impressive and it has to meet a certain standard because it's a franchise. That's why Darren Bennett is executive producer.

They must have just literally got the whole stage in the UK, with the production team, and put it on the ferry. Did they? Cos I couldn't imagine that they would have got the lighting, the staging, the camerawork, everything so spot on ... It couldn't have been their first go at it. :confused:

They must have just literally got the whole stage in the UK, with the production team, and put it on the ferry. Did they? Cos I couldn't imagine that they would have got the lighting, the staging, the camerawork, everything so spot on ... It couldn't have been their first go at it. :confused:

The stage would have been built here but there's a design they have to follow. It's the exact same for all the other DWTS shows in other countries. They MUST follow certain guidelines because it's a franchise - just like McDonalds or Starbucks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Heroditas wrote:
    and the music for the dances was spot on.!

Ok, different folks , different strokes, but no the music was not spot on. That is not the music for the Charleston or the foxtrot or most of the other dances...It was just europop for the most part..

vkid wrote: »
    Ok, different folks , different strokes, but no the music was not spot on. That is not the music for the Charleston or the foxtrot or most of the other dances...It was just europop for the most part..

The music was fine for the Charleston. In fact it was a nice Charleston if a bit slow. In my opinion, the "Charleston" on Strictly is far too "end of pier"/Vaudeville. Charleston doesn't need to be like that...

The music was fine for the Charleston. In fact it was a nice Charleston if a bit slow. In my opinion, the "Charleston" on Strictly is far too "end of pier"/Vaudeville. Charleston doesn't need to be like that...

But thats what the Charleston is, not some Euro trash pop music with some boy band wannabe turning it into a cheesy r and b / hip hop thing.

The Charleston is a dance named for the harbor city of Charleston, South Carolina. The rhythm was popularized in mainstream dance music in the United States by a 1923 tune called "The Charleston" by composer/pianist James P. Johnson which originated in the Broadway show Runnin' Wild[1] and became one of the most popular hits of the decade. Runnin' Wild ran from 29 October 1923 through 28 June 1924. The peak year for the Charleston as a dance by the public was mid 1926 to 1927.

Have you heard the nonsensical music that has been used for Charlestons on SCD in the last few years?
    Many of those SCD Charlestons have veered towards burlesque

Have you heard the nonsensical music that has been used for Charlestons on SCD in the last few years?
    Many of those SCD Charlestons have veered towards burlesque

Well if you are using SCD as the yardstick then go for it, but to say the music was spot on for the Charleston, or a few of the other dances...well, it just wasn't. They didn't even try. There is modern music that suits those dances too you know.

But whatever does it for you

Well if you are using SCD as the yardstick then go for it, but to say the music was spot on for the Charleston, or a few of the other dances...well, it just wasn't. They didn't even try. There is modern music that suits those dances too you know.

But whatever does it for you

The music allowed people to carry out proper steps for the dances and was the right tempo for them. That makes it fine.
    I agree that some of it was a bit modern but it was streets ahead of trying to match "I need a hero" with a Paso in chainmail! :D

• Advertisement

What did you think of it overall, Vkid?

What did you think of it overall, Vkid?

Thought the production was poor(everyone looked orange and the camera work was awful, sound was terrible in parts)

The setting was wrong, not sure what was missing but it had the feel of a local community center dolled up for the night in parts

Some of the dancers tried too hard to be smart/funny
    (Des Bishop and Hughie whats his name for example)

Des Cahill should not have been anywhere near that show and his little jump at the end of his dance just underlined that point. he walked around the dance floor for most of it and looked as awkward as anything the whole way through

Thought both presenters were a bit forced. The "banter" between the dancers and Nicky Byrne was cheesy as hell for most of it...but to be fair I can't stand him as a presenter.

And Amanda Byran...what was going on with her over emphasizing every little thing she said ( I normally like her)

The group dance at the end was ridiculously cheesy and cringey

The pro dancers were good though, looked well and patient with the "stars".

The judges were trying too hard. The lad in the gold jacket is painful.

RTE are being way way too optimistic thinking people will sit through 2 hours of that every Sunday evening to be honest. Way way way too long and a lot of it filler.

I agree with the filler but that'll improve in two weeks when all eleven dancers are on the same night.
    I wouldn't agree the camera work was awful but I agree it lacked a bit of "height" at times. That might be hard to fix because there's very few studios the right size with high ceilings in Dublin.
    I was dreading it in some ways. I thought it would be dreadfully twee but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm definitely going to give it another go. Strictly wasn't great when it started and is light years ahead now compared to 2004!
    I definitely think DWTS will get better

EDIT: regarding the community centre feel, I agree. A lot of that is to do with the sound feed. They need a separate feed for the TV and not use the studio feed. That would make a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I didn't like the camera work - far too many wide shots with no feet visible and several feet of empty space above the dancers heads.
    The costumes for the group dances were woeful.
    You can really feel the lack of a live band - it's a pity, it would've added a bit of atmosphere and sense of occasion.
    But the pros are great and Nicky is doing a pretty good job as a presenter (the less said about Byram the better, incredibly robotic presenting style!), and the quality of dancing overall is much higher than I'd expected to be honest.
    Can't warm to the judges but although I thought their scoring was inconsistent I'm glad to see they're not handing out the high scores where they're undeserved.
    I'll keep watching for a few weeks anyway, it's all a bit better than the typical RTE effort.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Can't warm to the judges but although I thought their scoring was inconsistent I'm glad to see they're not handing out the high scores where they're undeserved.
    I'll keep watching for a few weeks anyway, it's all a bit better than the typical RTE effort.

Julian is the overmarking judge. He pretty much admitted as much on the radio during the week.
    Brian is the "strict judge" and Lorraine the happy medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Julian is the overmarking judge. He pretty much admitted as much on the radio during the week.
    Brian is the "strict judge" and Lorraine the happy medium.

I suppose I'm not that bothered by having an over-marker, an under-marker and a fair marker - at least it all levels out at the end of the day. But I thought that the 'celebs' were marked inconsistently - I wasn't paying enough attention to give examples but I'll be watching more closely next week to see if I'm right!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

The show reminds me of the first series of DWTS US. I didn't like that when compared with SCD. DWTS US improved so hopefully DWTS IRL will too.

I thought Nicky was dreadful and nervous at the start but he improved as the show went on. Amanda didn't.

The show was way too for when only 5 celebs danced, the fillers could be cut in half. This should be the case when all 11 dance in episode three.

I was impressed by the pros. The pros with Hughie, Des C and Dayl were very good.

The male judge with the glasses knew what hw was talking about gave constructive feedback. The other two judges were meh!

dee_mc wrote: »
    I suppose I'm not that bothered by having an over-marker, an under-marker and a fair marker - at least it all levels out at the end of the day. But I thought that the 'celebs' were marked inconsistently - I wasn't paying enough attention to give examples but I'll be watching more closely next week to see if I'm right!

I would have swapped Des B and Aidan but apart from that, I think they got it right.
    Brian and Lorraine will definitely mark people on their technique although their comments might not reflect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thought the production was poor(everyone looked orange and the camera work was awful, sound was terrible in parts)

The setting was wrong, not sure what was missing but it had the feel of a local community center dolled up for the night in parts

Some of the dancers tried too hard to be smart/funny
    (Des Bishop and Hughie whats his name for example)

Des Cahill should not have been anywhere near that show and his little jump at the end of his dance just underlined that point. he walked around the dance floor for most of it and looked as awkward as anything the whole way through

Thought both presenters were a bit forced. The "banter" between the dancers and Nicky Byrne was cheesy as hell for most of it...but to be fair I can't stand him as a presenter.

And Amanda Byran...what was going on with her over emphasizing every little thing she said ( I normally like her)

The group dance at the end was ridiculously cheesy and cringey

The pro dancers were good though, looked well and patient with the "stars".

The judges were trying too hard. The lad in the gold jacket is painful.

RTE are being way way too optimistic thinking people will sit through 2 hours of that every Sunday evening to be honest. Way way way too long and a lot of it filler.

Oh you are so right, on EVERY point.

I thought it was absolutely awful and I consider that I have a very high crap tv threshold!

Amanda was desperate. She seemed to be shouting and over annunciating everything. She had no naturalness in her conversation at all.

Overall the whole thing had the feel of a cheap Eurovision. It was all so forced. All the whooping and cheering during Des's dance was just pitiful, not even friends and family would do it, it sounded like RTE staff were being paid to do it.

I couldn't take 12 weeks of it. I'll have a look in at 8 weeks again and if it's not progressed to a level on par with a Strictly week 1, I'm never going back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

duridian wrote: »
    Yep. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.[/QUOTe
    I am pleased you enjoyed it .

Advertisement