Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You're having a laugh Hogzy. Just because it doesn't say anything about photographing people in the constitution has no bearing on weather people can do it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Effects wrote: »
    You're having a laugh Hogzy. Just because it doesn't say anything about photographing people in the constitution has no bearing on weather people can do it or not.

I never said people couldnt do it. But there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between being able to do something, and having a right to do it. People have a right to privacy and photographers have a right to express themselves through their photography. Both rights must be balanced.

If you are hiding in a bush outside my house photographing me while I am kissing my wife then that will weigh heavily on the privacy side of things. However if you are out in the open photographing me walking my dog on the beach then that will more than likely weigh more on the side of your freedom of expression.

People in Ireland constantly say they have a "right" to this and a "right" to that. Our rights are actually VERY limited. We have a small few enumerated rights in the constitution and a handful of unenumerated rights. People use the term far too loosely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

Hogzy wrote: »
    People in Ireland constantly say they have a "right" to this and a "right" to that. Our rights are actually VERY limited. We have a small few enumerated rights in the constitution and a handful of unenumerated rights. People use the term far too loosely.

touche !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I would like to find a reliable Canon film EOS camera. I bought one already that is hit and miss... it was made in the late 1980's. Any guidance on how much I should expect to spend and where to look (apart from Ebay) would be very welcome, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Anouilh, I've got EOS 300V from some charity shop in UK, via e-bay, for £10 + postage. Works fine, as a basic film body. The body was released not so long time ago, so those cameras should be a bit more reliable.
    If you want an indestructible workhorse, scan the web (including ebay.de) for EOS 3.
    Ah, edit. You have still few camera shops, who sell older stuff, and also adverts and some dealer's webpage.
    You could also try social media and when you among other photographers, e.g. in Trim this weekend. Just ask if anybody has EOS body for sale.

I find a lot of stuff on adverts way over priced. Ebay is good but you don't get to see what condition it's in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Effects wrote: »
    I find a lot of stuff on adverts way over priced. Ebay is good but you don't get to see what condition it's in.

Adverts is full of dreamers. Id say the average person selling a lens will be selling it 10-15% more than what it costs new from Amazon.

They then get pissed off when you inform them that its available new for less than the asking price. Sellors think that because they paid too much money for the lens they can sell for too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Question: Where do people draw the line when it comes to sensitive subjects of pictures?

I passed something yesterday which immediately struck me as a potentially moving pic, it involved teddy bear tributes which looked like they had been there a long time, presumably from someone young who had drowned as it was riverside. Would it be a no-go to include these in the frame? I don't think its insensitive but others have disagreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

You have brought up a subject that is always central to professional photography. Amateurs have the option to be stringent self editors and pick which subjects are suitable for photographing.

Professionals have a social duty to record all aspects of the society in which they live.

Your question can be answered by asking yourself why you take the photos you do. I have a very strong ability to avoid gritty realism in every aspect of my work. This would not be possible if I were to set out to document all the various aspects of the world as it is.

• Advertisement

Anouilh wrote: »
    You have brought up a subject that is always central to professional photography. Amateurs have the option to be stringent self editors and pick which subjects are suitable for photographing.

Professionals have a social duty to record all aspects of the society in which they live.

Your question can be answered by asking yourself why you take the photos you do. I have a very strong ability to avoid gritty realism in every aspect of my work. This would not be possible if I were to set out to document all the various aspects of the world as it is.

What struck me about the teddy bears was so many people passed it by without a second thought or batting an eyelid, despite the fact there was rosary beads hanging from it obviously symbolising a tragedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Wamble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but is there a thread in any of the photography forums on the best places either B&W or Online to buy photography accessories?

draffodx wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but is there a thread in any of the photography forums on the best places either B&W or Online to buy photography accessories?

what type of accessories are you after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Hi Im just wondering does any one use a Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM I need a zoom i find the sigma prime I have is great but I've never used there zoom read some reviews but I'm still curious to see if any one has one etc? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Going candid - free ebook

www.85mm.ch/book/GoingCandid.html

Looks interesting enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

http://blog.instagram.com/

Facebook just bought Instagram for €1 Billion

That is quite a lot of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Tallon wrote: »
    http://blog.instagram.com/

Facebook just bought Instagram for €1 Billion

That is quite a lot of money
    Does that mean I have to stop likeing it now?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Had a funny run in with staff working at a fuji desk the other day. When I asked for film to be developed and scanned only she asked what size prints I wanted. When I said I wanted dev only, not prints she told me that's what developing is otherwise it's just a cd. I explained getting the negatives developed and returned in a sleeve isn't the same thing as getting them developed and printed. She seemed to think I was incorrect and wouldn't listen. Asked her to leave it until tuesday until the regular guy came back. She tried to insist someone else could do it. Last time someone else did it they printed them all and then tried to charge me €80 for the prints.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Does that mean I have to stop likeing it now?
    I believe so... So long as they don't 'require' you to have a Facebook acount to use it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

seemingly they paid that amount of money as it is a back door into Twitter as that is where instagram is mostly used

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ronanc15 wrote: »
    what type of accessories are you after?

Monopods, tripod options and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Snowie wrote: »
    Hi Im just wondering does any one use a Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM I need a zoom i find the sigma prime I have is great but I've never used there zoom read some reviews but I'm still curious to see if any one has one etc? :)

Yup I use it. Well, used it. It fell from a height and smashed into three bits. I had it repaired, but the aperture ring has to be held in place now. I still use it, but it's a challenge now!

All the images on this page, bar the first one and the two black and white concert ones were taken with it. It's great for the price, but after two years with it, I've noticed how soft it gets at 2.8. It's also a tad slow at auto-focusing on occasion and it's a reverse focus lens (i.e. you twist it the other way to every other lens to zoom in/out), but it's still my favourite lens. It's a wee gem. If a little gammy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Just got asked today to do a quick band promo shoot later on. It'll be my first one so I'm nervous now that I'll be useless, lacking in ideas and forget how to use my camera. I'm used to taking low light, non-flash shots of live bands. I've always wanted to do this also so no better way than to get in the deep end.

All I need is one good shot.

Anyone any useful tips?

1oUrT.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not about photography, but a topic which is a perennial favourite here:

http://elisabethhobbs.co.uk/2012/04/16/do-you-work-for-free/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

pinhole camera made from a bin.

and more on their flickr page here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

12 years in 3 minutes; how sweet,

http://vimeo.com/40448182

great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Funky like a monkey!!
    Static from a Video + dslr on long exposure = AWESOME

http://blog.kyletunneyphotography.com/inspiring-video-photography-project/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

has any one ever delt with simply electronics?

Snowie wrote: »
    has any one ever delt with simply electronics?
    You need this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

'woman aims to meet her 626 friends' is an odd start to a headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

529752_3038340440253_1315272626_32283526_960799540_n.jpg such a gimmick but i still want it

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Long exposures on famous busy landmarks to create a "silent picture" of same.

http://www.lucieandsimon.com/works/silent_world#/7/Silent world/Place de l'Opera, C-print, 250x320cm, 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Link?
    Sorry been up the walls with college work, some guy posted it on the ucc photographic society's facebook page, saying to pm him for them. So if you want one look up our page on facebook and it should be one of the last comments.

Boots closes 160 of its photography labs.

A good many left, and a first world problem I know, but kinda sad too

http://bit.ly/IID0gH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Boots closes 160 of its photography labs.

A good many left, and a first world problem I know, but kinda sad too

http://bit.ly/IID0gH

you scamp, you tricked me into clicking into a daily mail article ! I do like their picture of a 'disposable camera' though ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lads I'm looking for pics that were on here before, someone here was able to get access to the abandoned barracks in the Phoenix Park & took loads of really cool pics showing the place from the inside.

I can't for the life of me find them though, I'm 99% sure they or at least links to them were posted in this forum. Ring a bell with anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

That's no moon picture ... THIS is a moon picture ! http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/pr/tiff/wac_nearside.tif

(warning, picture is 500mb in size)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Lads I'm looking for pics that were on here before, someone here was able to get access to the abandoned barracks in the Phoenix Park & took loads of really cool pics showing the place from the inside.

I can't for the life of me find them though, I'm 99% sure they or at least links to them were posted in this forum. Ring a bell with anyone?
    Here you go :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055652759

Hmm, wherever that is I've no access to it...:( Is it a private forum?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Hmm, wherever that is I've no access to it...:( Is it a private forum?
    It is! It's the Urban Exploration forum

PM Silverfish for access. She'll give you access no problem

It is! It's the Urban Exploration forum

PM Silverfish for access. She'll give you access no problem

Top man, cheers :cool:

sweet gimp 2.8 was released about a week or so ago, never knew that. single window interface - ah, it would grow on ya i suppose :D

EDIT: nope, single window will never catch on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Didn't they just push out the source? No official binaries as yet.

5uspect wrote: »
    Didn't they just push out the source? No official binaries as yet.

Nope - binaries and all ready for download. They launched back around 5th of May (i think) with a "windows binary to follow", but it was there last night when i downloaded it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement