Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Oh God, my hamstrings are KILLING me! I obviously didn't warm them up enough, had to stop during one or two of the walking intervals to stretch them out. On the bright side, my stamina is improving and I finished my last run on a hill.

Saw a lady out running with her dog and was like "I wonder if she's one of us?".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

:O I don't stretch..... :O I thought the warm up walk would be ok?! :rolleyes: :o
    Maybe that's why I've been in so much pain the past two days, just back from W1D2 and I didn't have as much of an attack of the "burny lungs" as I did the last time, I was running at a good pace but I slowed down towards the end. Maybe I should be running slower.

The park seemed to be closed but when I got to another entrance there was a gate that was open :D:D:D Half the park was dark and the other half was flood lit. It was great running in the dark until I met another person and scared the bejasus out of my self! :D I'm so proud of myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

W5D3 Complete :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D whoop whoop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

Was in such a bad mood today after a terrible day in work. Was going to get a bottle of wine but decided to go for a run/jog instead. Managed to do most of the prom. Not a fast run or an attractive vision but feel much better.
    Somebody told me when I was starting my get fit program running was addictive and i laughed, It really is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LollieB

This thread is great!

i started doing the c25k a little while back but lost motivation....soo I've just signed myself up to do a 5km race in April over here in Canada

Highly ambitious of me but reckon I can walk it if I run out of steam! Going to walk the route at the weekend to see what I'm in for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

For me when I'm doing the walking intervals I do knee ups while walking if you know what I mean? I basically look like a really dedicated soldier marching around with my knees up to my chest but it really stretches out my muscles in between and is also good for toning.

It wasn't recommended by anyone I just started doing it one day as I'm a big fan of lunges and the like and it hasn't had any adverse effect on me. Keeps me sweating throughout as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Will jogging do? If not then I've been doing it all wrong!

I've never jogged/run before in my life before starting this. So my "run" is the slowest jog that ever existed in the history of the world (might be a slight exaggeration, but not by much!). But it's faster than my walking speed, and it's challenging, so it counts.

:o thanks, that's good to hear :) going to try day 1 tomorrow on the threadmill at the gym. It's not cheating to do it on the threadmill right? After 4 weeks of going to the gym I've finally gotten to the point where my legs aren't killing me when I'm walking fast-ish so I'm feeling ready to go for it now tomorrow! Yesterday managed to do 3minute walking intervals & 1 minute jogging over 15 minutes, was pretty pleased with myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

I started C25K on Sat (started on week 3 cos i have done a bit of running before) but havent been able to build up the motivation this week to head out again. i feel so guilty (also cos i have let my diet go to crap) I'm gonna try and get up and do it before work tomorrow. Need to get back into the swing of my healthy living...

My legs aren't too bad today! :) I'll have to look up some pre run stretches. :D Slept like an absolute baby last night! :D:D:D

managed to jog for 3 and a half minutes on the threadmill over 15 minutes this morning. Great considering I only managed 2 minutes last week :)

decided to make a goal for myself, I'm going to jog/run the Cork womens mini marathon in September, which gives me loads of time to work up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

W2D2 complete. Very disappointed with it though. My knees are fine when walking, but I could feel them a small bit while running and I wasn't sure whether to carry on through it or not. It wasn't pain, I could just...feel them, if that makes sense.

I did carry on, though. Slowly and carefully, and it's done. I'm wondering whether I should carry on with it or not, though...or whether I should lose some weight first, because I'm sure that would be kinder to the joints. But I really quite like the running when I'm not worrying about the joints, so maybe I'll have a chat to my GP (or would a personal trainer-type-person be better?) and see what she says.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

w6d2 disaster :rolleyes:
    didnt expect it to go well anyway in the state im in, ill give it another go on sat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm thinking about getting a Nike plus sensor to keep track of my runs (you put it in your shoe), does anyone use anything like it? I run outside so have no idea of the distance I'm covering or if my speed is too fast or slow so think something like this would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Started this on monday so tomorrow will be my w1d3, found the first two days ok so far so hopefully I will keep it going.
    Done the operation transformation 5k on Saturday, only walked it, at a kinda faster than normal speed for me and I have to say I really enjoyed it.
    Hopefully I will stick at it for the nine wks, at least knowing there are others at the beginners stage with me will help to spurn me on as the weeks go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Started this on monday so tomorrow will be my w1d3, found the first two days ok so far so hopefully I will keep it going.
    Done the operation transformation 5k on Saturday, only walked it, at a kinda faster than normal speed for me and I have to say I really enjoyed it.
    Hopefully I will stick at it for the nine wks, at least knowing there are others at the beginners stage with me will help to spurn me on as the weeks go on.

I started this as well on Monday, but did a trial one last Friday night just to make sure I wouldn't collapse and die! Looking forward to tomorrow night and (hopefully!) completing Week 1. It is good to know there are so many others out there all trying our best - its another motivation to come on here and post when I've completed a run (well, slow jog/plod!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

So apparently I'm doing a 5mile (which is what...8K?) road race in Killarney on good Friday. Lets see how that goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Western Night, you sound like my kind of woman. I too jog the slowest jog of the world, but it counts as it's not walking!

I just finished Week one for the second time (we moved so i had to stop for a while) and I feel great!! Only thing is, we moved to a REALLY hilly place so it's like jogging in san francisco. I love starting out, all down hill (although it feels like I'm going to fall over and roll all the way down) but the way back is hell, it's steeep uphill, the oul thighs burn and I too get the burny lung :eek:

I'm so excited to be facing Week 2 though and I downloaded Ulleys podcast - thanks Bluewolf!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lia_lia wrote: »
    So apparently I'm doing a 5mile (which is what...8K?) road race in Killarney on good Friday. Lets see how that goes!
    Good luck! Hoping to get in a 5 mile race in May/June myself, really want to finally get under 40 minutes for it.

(and yeah, 5 miles is for all intents and purposes 8k)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

I started C25K in January, did up until about Week Six ... and then got bored, because I have the shortest attention span in the world ever. :rolleyes:

BUT I didn't give up! I'm still out running every second night, but instead of running the set distances, I'm just racing against myself now, running the same route each night but aiming to beat my time every time. Which means more running and less walking every time. Basically C25K, but with a bit of competition added in! (Competition against myself. The best kind! :D )

It's working for me so far at least. :) My distances and times are still overwhelmingly unimpressive, but at least I'm seeing a good improvement with every single run. :) And I'm actually loving my runs these days!

Doing the St Patricks Run on March 20th. I'm going to finish in less than 30 minutes. I'm not there yet, but I'll definitely get there. Can't wait. :)

W1d3 finished, today felt easier, that's probably because I done it on the treadmill today instead of the road which I done it on for the last two days. May hit the road again Sunday me thinks.

• Advertisement

W1D1 done :) i'm doing it on the threadmill for now before I start doing it on the road. Really glad that I've been going to the gym for the last few weeks & building up my fitness, think I'd have found it torture today if I was starting from scratch.

My goal is to jog/run the Cork womens mini marathon in September, but hopefully it won't take me til September to be fit enough.

I'm looking forward to a night run again. The last one was pretty epic, I might go a little bit earlier this time! :)

Had an extra long warm up as I had to walk to my polling centre. :)

Good run today. Slowed down for a little while but I kept the pace up, it's wierd the feeling of circulation my whole body feels prickly :) Lovely cold shower after too.... :) Heaven! :):):)

Wonder should I start W2 on Sunday or Monday?

Had an extra long warm up as I had to walk to my polling centre. :)

Good run today. Slowed down for a little while but I kept the pace up, it's wierd the feeling of circulation my whole body feels prickly :) Lovely cold shower after too.... :) Heaven! :):):)
    Wonder should I start W2 on Sunday or Monday?

Me too, wonder what everyone has done with regards starting week two

Just as a heads up to any of ye who are planning to do the Women's Mini-Marathon, entries open on Wednesday (both online and with the application form in the Herald).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Went to the running class last night. 3 8 minute runs from the Maldron Hotel, around and past the Grand Canal, over the bridge, near the IFSC and back. Felt fantastic after all the stretching and stuff.

I went to bed, cuddled up, felt tired, but a good tired. Then I woke up this morning, and OH MY GOD I couldn't move I was so tired.

It was like the whole week just caught up with me. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Week 6 Day 1 done, so i can enjoy the rest of the weekend. :D
    thanks for the heads up on the mini marathon RK - will definitely be signing up.
    Can anyone suggest somewhere i can get a nice light running rainjacket that has pockets for keys and stuff? the one i have is heavy!

A few jackets reduced on Wiggle at the moment. Also worth having a look at Start Fitness or Sweatshop. If you prefer a bricks and mortar shop, try Elverys, Runways, Amphibian King, Snow and Rock (Dundrum) or Runworx.

I had my last run (W1D3) last night.....Should take the weekend off and start again on monday so my runs will always be mon-wed-fri or could I start W2 this sunday and just keep a day of rest in between?

• Advertisement

If it suits you, I can't see the problem with doing W2D1 on Sunday - you're still getting the rest day in between days and you're more likely to have time for it at the weekend too.

Advertisement