Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maynooth university want to share details with HSE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That is what I have been saying!!!! There is no pandemic. We have been conned. Its no more dangerous than the flu. You get it at last.

Lol it's gonna take some exhausting work to beat this. Was waiting where we gonna end, but no, no surprise back to flu proof :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

duffman13 wrote: »
    I know one person who died of covid. He had mild asthma, was fairly healthy and in his 30s. Not all pre-existing conditions mean your in danger of dieing tomorrow. He was asthmatic since childhood and played sport etc, nothing you would be overly concerned about but yet contracted Covid and left behind a lot of people who cared.

Its one thing continuing your life as normal as possible, thats absolutely your choice however there is nothing stopping you doing a bit to help stop the spread by taking very simple steps that will help contact tracing in the event you or others in your class become infected

Just one? ok. But he had asthma? Asthma can be very serious. I had a childhood friend who died from it. It is nothing to be taken lightly.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That is what I have been saying!!!! There is no pandemic. We have been conned. Its no more dangerous than the flu. You get it at last.

Tell that to my friend who is currently recovering from it and who would have likely gone into cardiac arrest had they not made it to A&E in time. Can't say I've ever heard of the flu causing heart attacks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yeah they did at the start.... This was going to be worse than the Spanish Flu they said.

Spanish Flu is estimated to have killed 0.95% of the world population

Again you are exaggerating the real situation (well actually I suspect you are simply plucking figures out of the air) to try and justify your own position

Anyway back to the topic - I am delighted Maynooth are thinking of the wider population and sharing this information appropriately

Zaph wrote: »
    Tell that to my friend who is currently recovering from it and who would have likely gone into cardiac arrest had they not made it to A&E in time. Can't say I've ever heard of the flu causing heart attacks.

I never said the flu wasnt dangerous. If your immune system is down and you get it for what ever reason it is dangerous. read it again. But this covid is widespread and killing 10% of the population, that is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I never said the flu wasnt dangerous. If your immune system is down and you get it for what ever reason it is dangerous. read it again. But this covid is widespread and killing 10% of the population, that is nonsense.

I think what you meant to say is that your claims that it would kill 10% of the population are nonsense.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

killing 10% of the population, that is nonsense.
    It is nonsense that you have created. It's entirely a figment of your imagination

Beasty wrote: »
    Spanish Flu is estimated to have killed 0.95% of the world population

Again you are exaggerating the real situation (well actually I suspect you are simply plucking figures out of the air) to try and justify your own position

Anyway back to the topic - I am delighted Maynooth are thinking of the wider population and sharing this information appropriately

The Spanish flu has to be seen in the context of the first world war and its aftermath. You had men on the front with lice, malnourished, shell shocked, in damp and water logged trenches filled with Rats. No wonder it was so contagious and their immune systems were down. Plus you had major food shortage in Europe and afterwards in Russia.

Zaph wrote: »
    I think what you meant to say is that your claims that it would kill 10% of the population are nonsense.

Refer to the John Hopkins graph. Hope your friend is ok on the mend.

5ec831ae4dca680924327065?width=700&format=jpeg&auto=webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Just got this email this morning from Maynooth University. They want to just share details with the HSE.

"I wish to let you know that Maynooth University may share your contact details (name, telephone number, email address) with the HSE to support the contact tracing work of the public health authorities.

The University will only share this data in order to assist the public health authorities with contacting students or staff who may have been in close contact with a person who has tested positive for Covid-19. You can be assured that only these limited contact details will be shared and solely to comply with public health requirements. Your student ID number or other personal identifying data will not be shared.

The University has developed the MU Check-in App, which you are encouraged to download and use (available from Google Play Store and Apple Store). This App allows you to scan the QR code for the seat you occupy in each teaching venue so that your location is noted. The location data and the contact details will be used to help the University support the work of the HSE public health teams who may contact you if necessary. I wish to assure you that the University will not use any data collected by the App for any other purpose."

They dont monitor microchipped dogs this way!! Where are GPRD rules?

Eminently sensible email outlining an eminently sensible course of action and a great and innovative use of technology. And great to see the university taking their GDPR responsibilities so seriously.

Sounds like you picked the perfect school to help you grow up.

Their house their rules op, same as the code of conduct etc that agreed to when you signed up. Don't agree just don't attend, simple as.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Eminently sensible email outlining an eminently sensible course of action and a great and innovative use of technology. And great to see the university taking their GDPR responsibilities so seriously.

Sounds like you picked the perfect school to help you grow up.

I remember Enda Kenny being called out a few years ago saying if only we could microchip travellers, why would they want to microchip us? Shure dont we all have mobile phones?

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Their house their rules op, same as the code of conduct etc that agreed to when you signed up. Don't agree just don't attend, simple as.

That came after registration, there was no agreement to that before registration. They changed the rules. Its already failed in NUI Galway with the community promise, you had to sign before registration. That was legally unsound and the University had to withdraw it.

That came after registration, there was no agreement to that before registration. They changed the rules.

They can change the code of conduct also at any time, as I said if you don't agree don't attend.

They can change the code of conduct also at any time, as I said if you don't agree don't attend.

You cant sign an agreement where the rules change. That defeats the purpose of a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just one? ok. But he had asthma? Asthma can be very serious. I had a childhood friend who died from it. It is nothing to be taken lightly.

Yes believe it or not, just the one, has a family, kids and friends. You obviously have no friends or family with any underlying conditions.

400,000 people have Asthma in this country and its not something to be taken lightly. Around 30-40% of people are estimated to have BP issues in Ireland and a few dont even know it. Underlying issues are there in a lot of people, not just some small minority

Refer to the John Hopkins graph. Hope your friend is ok on the mend.

Death rate = percentage of people who contracted the virus that died. It does not mean the percentage of the population that will die. :rolleyes:

Edit: Removed graph in quote, hate when people quote images. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭daheff

Dont they have to seek my permission?

You give them your permission by downloading and using the App.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Yes believe it or not, that just one, has a family, kids and friends. You obviously have no friends or family with any underlying conditions.

400,000 people have Asthma in this country and its not something to be taken lightly. Around 30-40% of people are estimated to have BP issues in Ireland and a few dont even know it. Underlying issues are there in a lot of people, not just some small minority

I actually have several elderly relatives and they are fairly close to dying maybe 5 of them with three years at best. None of them got covid and they are going about their day to day business. I never said I took it lightly. I have one friend with asthma he is ignoring doctors and HSE advice, doing rounds of the park and going shopping. He would use the inhaler maybe twice a day. Wild horse wouldnt hold him back.

daheff wrote: »
    You give them your permission by downloading and using the App.

There is a suggestion at the start that it would be automatic if it needed to used.
    The App is something else for tracking.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, what is a purpose of this thread?

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what is a purpose of this thread?

Whatever you want it to be!!!

I remember Enda Kenny being called out a few years ago saying if only we could microchip travellers, why would they want to microchip us? Shure dont we all have mobile phones?

I didn’t mention.....
    - Enda Kenny
    - Micro chipping
    - Travellers
    - Mobile phones

So if we exclude these, your “retort/rebuttal reads

“I remember being called out a few years ago saying if only we could, why would they want to us? Shure dont we all have ?”

Which makes about as much sense as the vast majority of your posts.

I didn’t mention.....
    - Enda Kenny
    - Micro chipping
    - Travellers
    - Mobile phones

So if we exclude these, your “retort/rebuttal reads

“I remember being called out a few years ago saying if only we could, why would they want to us? Shure dont we all have ?”

Which makes about as much sense as the vast majority of your posts.

Would you not agree that having a mobile phone is much more sugar coated way of tracking people? That must have been said 25 years ago and look how it has come true today? And we all thought Edward Snowdon was mad.

You cant sign an agreement where the rules change. That defeats the purpose of a contract.

Actually they can, you can simply not attend if you don't agree with the new terms. Ask any smoker who was attending the college when it became a smoke free campus.

Whatever you want it to be!!!

Ok, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

ahhh Nope. 99.4% are recovered from it. I have an overactive immune system so it is not a problem. There is no 10% fatality in the population as predicted

some one i know got it 2 times probably 3 but got tested 2 times
    also 20% get lifetime health problems

Actually they can, you can simply not attend if you don't agree with the new terms. Ask any smoker who was attending the college when it became a smoke free campus.

Its a smoke free zone :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Most of my friends were smoking on campus last year. I do not partake but I would like to think I had the option to smoke.

Just checked. Its smoke free but that is in the buildings. The Campus certainly isnt smoke free either north or South campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brimstone20

No. Do you know anyone who has actually died of covid without a preexisting condition?

Stop spending so much time on conspiracy sites TBH.

Stop spending so much time on conspiracy sites TBH.

I am no longer watching Alex Jones..... I moved onto better stuff. London Real

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    some one i know got it 2 times probably 3 but got tested 2 times
    also 20% get lifetime health problems

You have a life time study into that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Starting in MU next week and delighted to see they're being proactive in their approach, I'll definitely feel safer on campus as a result.

Starting in MU next week and delighted to see they're being proactive in their approach, I'll definitely feel safer on campus as a result.

:D:D:D:D:D How do you think they are going to be "proactive" when a virus is about x10-9 meters and your mask filter will be x10-6 meters at best? You will be distanced 6 feet but a cough can travel for 40 feet?

If you are going to come into contact with the virus you will but an app or piece of cloth wont protect you. You get it you get it you dont you dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

:D:D:D:D:D How do you think they are going to be "proactive" when a virus is about x10-9 meters and your mask filter will be x10-6 meters at best? You will be distanced 6 feet but a cough can travel for 40 feet?

If you are going to come into contact with the virus you will but an app or piece of cloth wont protect you. You get it you get it you dont you dont.

Any scientific evidence to back up your claims or did you pull them from thin air? Of course no one measure is going to fully protect anyone, I never claimed that, I simply said this measure will make me feel safer on campus.

Would you not agree that having a mobile phone is much more sugar coated way of tracking people?

No, I absolutely would not.

Any scientific evidence to back up your claims or did you pull them from thin air? Of course no one measure is going to fully protect anyone, I never claimed that, I simply said this measure will make me feel safer on campus.

Nope covered Viruses last year using the Booker manual (ohhh burn).
    So how would a piece of cloth make you feel safer? I worked for Biomedical company before and they used to quote that statistic for the clean rooms.
    Would you rather be safe on campus or feel safe on campus?

No, I absolutely would not.

Edward Snowdon? Chelsea Manning, Julian Assange, wikileaks? Ever heard of them? You do know all your calls are being recorded? Your position is being recorded? Algorithms track what you are interested in?

There is already strong evidence that wearing masks and adhering to social distancing has also significantly reduced the rate of influenza and other respiratory illnesses this year, not just COVID-19. URL="https://www.ft.com/content/ad7ae6b4-5eab-11ea-b0ab-339c2307bcd4"]1[/URLURL="https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/21/national/influenza-wave-drastically-wanes-japan-amid-spread-coronavirus/"]2[/URL[3*]
    *This is a chart of the rate of influenza out-patient cases in Taiwan with each year represented by a different line, dark blue being 2020.

As for your comments about the Spanish flu, social distancing was also practised in various localities and shown to be effective even then. The chart below is a good example of that. Preceding that spike, Philadelphia threw a parade in support of the war. In that same time period, and within two days of their first known cases, the nearby city of St. Louis instead closed schools, churches, libraries etc., staggered work shifts and made public gatherings of greater than 20 people illegal.
    EDPT64S.png?1

Edward Snowdon? Chelsea Manning, Julian Assange, wikileaks? Ever heard of them? You do know all your calls are being recorded? Your position is being recorded? Algorithms track what you are interested in?

GCHQ, CSEC, ASD, GCSB, Five Eyes, CIA, FSB and throw in the The Ministry of State Security of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea for good measure. It’s a wonder you can sleep at night. Or maybe you don’t and that why you spend endless hours seeking the attention that you don't get anywhere else on an anon Internet forum

Unfollow <current thread>

• Advertisement

There is already strong evidence that wearing masks and adhering to social distancing has also significantly reduced the rate of influenza and other respiratory illnesses this year, not just COVID-19. URL="https://www.ft.com/content/ad7ae6b4-5eab-11ea-b0ab-339c2307bcd4"]1[/URLURL="https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/21/national/influenza-wave-drastically-wanes-japan-amid-spread-coronavirus/"]2[/URL[3*]
    *This is a chart of the rate of influenza out-patient cases in Taiwan with each year represented by a different line, dark blue being 2020.

As for your comments about the Spanish flu, social distancing was also practised in various localities and shown to be effective even then. The chart below is a good example of that. Preceding that spike, Philadelphia threw a parade in support of the war. In that same time period, and within two days of their first known cases, the nearby city of St. Louis instead closed schools, churches, libraries etc., staggered work shifts and made public gatherings of greater than 20 people illegal.
    EDPT64S.png?1

So the Doughboys came back from the front and suddenly there was a spike in numbers. Later this number decreased? The dough boys were on the front lines some for atleast 2 years and then the came home and there was a spike in numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

So the Doughboys came back from the front and suddenly there was a spike in numbers. Later this number decreased? The dough boys were on the front lines some for atleast 2 years and then the came home and there was a spike in numbers?

Take a look at the dates on the graph.

No, it was public parade, it had nothing to do with soldiers coming home, not sure where you are getting that from (oh wait, yes I do, your strong case of confirmation bias).

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Take a look at the dates on the graph.

Not enough data on the graph or the post do draw a conclusion

No, it was public parade, it had nothing to do with soldiers coming home, not sure where you are getting that from (oh wait, yes I do, your strong case of confirmation bias).

Why would you have a parade for the soldiers coming home without the soldiers?

Doesnt every soldier who came home deserve a parade unless they lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There's enough to show that it was before huge numbers of troops returned as the parade was held months before the war ended.

• Advertisement

Not a problem. I shall gladly show you more data, then you can come up with a different reason to ignore the data instead of considering that your belief may in fact be wrong.

Below is the data from 1918 for what was largest peak size of cases for US cities that both didn't introduce a form of social distancing (grey bar) and those that did (black bar)
    dNX356m.png

and here is likewise the cumulative death rate for those cities.
    wxVXtD5.png

Source

Why would you have a parade for the soldiers coming home without the soldiers?

Doesnt every soldier who came home deserve a parade unless they lost?

You don't know the slightest thing about what you're talking about do you? :rolleyes:

Sardonicat wrote: »
    There's enough to show that it was before huge numbers of troops returned as the parade was held months before the war ended.

Troops get rotated all the time, it gets weary at the front being gassed, shelled, shot at, flamed and being sent over the top for cannon fodder. They try to have soldiers on 6 month rotations. I used to read Charleys war, still have hard back copies.

Apart from not noticing the dates on the graph, America joined the first world war in April 1917, with the first troops arriving in Europe in June 1917. The war ended in November 1918, with some remaining on in Europe until 1919.

You don't know the slightest thing about what you're talking about do you? :rolleyes:

Well of course there was a spike in flu numbers. There was no flu before they arrived home then they arrived home and numbers when up and of course soldiers being soldiers were in every cathouse as well

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement