Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun 2020

Options
  • 06-11-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

"Finding Shotgun" has been retired, it ran its course. I found Shotgun, then got over excited and injured.

Watching the Limerick Marathon in May it struck me that I just need a simple yet challenging goal. Sub3 at Limerick. Its on my doorstep so no fuss. Simple enough eh?

During the injury (torn hamstring) recovery I bumped into a couple of people I admire

The first of them was John, my old PE and favourite Teacher. Still in super shape in his 60s and the same healthy positive attitude to life I remember he did an Ironman in the early 90s and taught me to sprint and throw a Javelin. He was my first mentor. Next, Liz, a friend and uber-nemesis. She hands me my ass in the pool or on the road. Just has the perfect balance of competitiveness, calm and life. My first go at a sub3 was foolishly running with her. I lost her at 15m, dropped out at 20m and she crossed the tape in 2:52. I feel energized chatting with the likes of John or Liz and they helped to clear the fog. Be where you are now, do what you can and enjoy it! Easy enough eh?

Shotgun 2020 is about Clarity. I set my best times in my 30s but are they really my best? 2011/12 was the best shape of my 30s. The goal is to try beat them all in my 40s.
    Distance|Best Result|When/Where|Most Recent|When/Where
    Marathon|3:00:20|2011 Connemara|4:19:30|2016 Challenge Galway
    Half Marathon|1:23:40|2012 GLR| 1:34:14|2018 Corporate Event
    10k|38:09|2012 Adare|49:10|2017 Dublin Night Run
    5k|18:10|2010 Murroe|20:24|2018 Limerick Parkrun

A note on Swimming
    I learned to swim in my 30s and loved it. I swore I'd keep it up forever. I always admired "real swimmers". I lost my way with swimming since completing a Sub3 swim marathon (10k) in 2013. I tentatively approached Limerick Masters, a competitive club! After a wait I've been invited to join. It means that in 2019 I should be able to scratch "do a swim gala" off my bucket list.

A note on Rowing
    I learned to row in my 20s and loved that too. Its a team sport though and takes a lot of time that I don't have. However I have a rowing machine and it will be used for cross training. I have an outstanding goal of rowing a sub3 marathon too (42.2k) and I'd like to be in reasonable shape to row an actual boat should an opportunity present itself.

A new log, a new start. Lets go..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I haven't decided whether to update daily or weekly. I guess it will be somewhere in between. The last 2 weeks I averaged 25 miles with a long of 8 miles and some Yoga and it feels good. The running is slow and easy as it should be. My intention is to bring it up to 30 miles this week.

Monday 5 Nov
    Easy 3.87 miles @8:42
    Lunchtime short one with my new work run buddy. Out around the Clontarf prom but she took me through a gap in a fence to get onto the wet muddy bank. On the Prom itself there are grassy trails so you can do it all off-road. Lovely run, shooting the breeze

Tuesday 6 Nov
    Strength: Bootcamp Calisthenics class.
    I try to get to this if I'm up in the big smoke. Again at lunchtime, 17 of us packed into the work gym in pods of 3s. Each station had three exercises that you did hard for 45secs with 125secs rest. All 3 times. We did a dynamic warm up then toons on and stuck in..
    Station 1: Weighted standups, dumbbell shoulder press, burpees
    Station 2: Rowing Erg, single leg bridges, burpees
    Station 3: Planks, 20kg kettlebell swings, burpees

It was 45 mins all in but solid work. Today I feel a good "hurt2 in various limbs but look forward to a run to loosen up. Weighed in at 81.2kg this morning.. moving in the right direction

Wednesday 7 Nov
    Easy 5.69 miles @8:18
    Ooh cold stiff wind out there. The kind that give you a fresh nudge on your back but a frozen forehead when pushing into it. Lunchtime daylight run. I crossed the road and ran up 3 hills in suburbia before heading down town through people park. The City looked like it was snowing leaves and the carpet of wet leaves made the ground feel greasy. I love running around the bridges so headed down the quays. There was 2 guys with hundreds of pigeons around them, on their head, arms and shoulders which was bizarre. As I exited Arthurs quay park I saw a runner exit a gate. I usually pass this out and cross the road bridge beside the potato market. This gate brought me into a short riverside path leading to an old pedestrian bridge into the potato market, Sylvester O'Hallorans. I was delighted to find this 30 second new route on my usual run.

Next it was over to old Limerick, the Cathedral and one of my favorite urban views. Rounding the cobblestone street onto castle street you have King Johns Castle on your left and an old castle turret on the opposite path both looking across Thomond Bridge to the Treaty Stone. Its one of the oldest part of Limerick and I like to image what it must have been to look across that bridge at the Norman invaders closing in on the Castle. Again bizarrely there was a lad standing up on the Treaty Stone singing old Irish lyrics from a small notebook held at arms reach. I continued down the riverside walk toward s cloud of pigeons and seagulls that had flown across the river towards a woman with food on the rescue slipway. I like observing city life. The last bit was a steadier effort to get back up town for a meeting. A very enjoyable run.

Thursday 8 Nov
    Easy 6.01 miles @8:07
    I opted for country air today. I'm lucky that I can find trees within a half mile of work. I circled around the back to a small, immaculate estate and a little graffiti art wall. Live your dreams, butterfly wings, dominoes and angel wings. Whatever that means. It takes a mile and 2 decent hills to enter County Limerick but instead of continuing out the Fedamore road I turned up a smaller country road with a sign hidden in the bushes to Donoghmore Church. The next 4 miles were wonderful, how have I not run this before, I do not know!

The road was so quiet I could run in the middle of it. Much of the next mile was up a long gradual climb. I kept a lid on the effort and the legs felt great. Just after the top there are evergreens flanking the road to a sharp left hander. At the turn is a house blocked by a huge tree covered in rusty autumn leaves from light ambers to blood red. The sun caught the tree from behind to make it look like it was in flames at the end of this green corridor. The left turn brought me up past the tiny sleepy village of Donoughmore. I used to cycle down here as a teen on summer evenings to play basketball in the school yard.

As I had climbed a little the view to my left stretched right over Limerick city, hidden in a basin, to the Cratloe hills and even beyond to Moylussa, the highest point in Co Clare. Although the wind gave a slight chill, I felt the warmth of the sun on my cheeks and beads of sweat on my forehead. Over those hills too were some dark heavy clouds heading toward town. I turned back at the junction to the busy Old Cork road to retrace my steps. Smiled as I ran down that long hill again, remembering the joy of speeding down it on my bike, racing my brother. Over the flyover and last hill I ran through the "Welcome to Limerick City" signs, smiling again that the work was done and I had beaten the oncoming clouds to steal an hour of daylight sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Great to read this new log, you seem very happy to be out exploring Limerick!

Hope to see you down there March 2nd/3rd! ;)

Friday 9 Nov
    A Swim! 2,000m Steady @1:49/100m
    I swam once a week up to Juneand then swam once more in July before my injuries. 28 whole weeks without a swim this year too meant this was not going to go smoothly. It didn't. My pace was all over the place, I had to take a few breathers after 1,200m and my stroke rate increase while pace decreased for the last 400m. I did love being back in the water though.

I didn't really catch the water or get a good feel for rotation or any other technical nonsense during this but kept going. There is a new grippier wall at the far end of the UL 50m. Its too high to grab with my hand though so I resorted to tumble turning woefully. It took 10 goes before I could plant both feet and I invariably go too deep and gasp for air on my next stroke. I get nowhere near the distance and a standard push off the wall but I tried and I'll try some more until I get it right.

I did see perfect turns in action though. There was a bit of slower traffic for me to negotiate but then a shark in an Ireland swim suit hopped in and glided past me as though I was tethered to the bottom. I saw her doing a tumble and tried to copy it, nearly banging my forehead off that grippy wall in the process. I think she had enough of us slow coaches and hopped into the next lane as soon as it was free to do her actually training. Bit depressing that passed by so gracefully and fast on her warm up! I'm nowhere near ready to join the masters. I simply have to do some swimming with some sort of regularity first. My triceps will feel this in the morning!

@Kurt - Everest to climb to be in shape for that

• Advertisement

Saturday 10 Nov
    Easy 7.86 miles @7:57
    A very early start! I awoke at 0130 after 3hrs sleep. Settled Evan, the reason for waking, but my mind was turning over with work stuff. Fired a few quick emails to myself to get them off my mind but didn't fall back to sleep. I had intended to get up and run before the kids awoke anyway so why not now? I didn't want to wake the house turning on lights to get a long sleeve so hoped it wouldn't be freezing. It wasn't. Out the door at 2am and kept to sleepy suburbia to avoid late night party people on their way home. After the first sluggish mile I found a surprisingly steady relaxed rhythm and a decent cadence.

It had rained so heavily yesterday that there were still pools everywhere and in the dark the leaves were greasy. Since it was middle of a starry night I could just run on the road which was nice. No hopping up and down footpaths, avoiding people, buggies and stopping at lights. Perhaps it was that unbroken rhythm that help me to stay so steady and relaxed. Overall it was a better pace (7:57) for a lower average heart rate (139) than any run yet. I did pass a couple of wobbly single guys finding their way home and a couple of girls falling over heels commenting on my form and reasons for running at this time, all the way up a hill. They just shouted louder as I got further away. Just over an hour banked, a quick snack and back to bed. The kids slept in for once and I got another 4 glorious hours kip.

Saturday 10 Nov
    Row Open 30mins rate 20
    18hrs since that run and it's the same day. Feeling it now. This is a short but brutal test. Concept 2 Erg: pull your best score while holding a low rate of 20 strokes per minute. You want to ease off, you want to raise the stroke rate, you want to stop but pain is temporary. I'd eventually like to hit 8,000m or 1:52.0/500m pace. This was a first go and I hit 7,695m or 1:56.9/500m. Not good but at least I know now what the gap is. My max heart rate only hit 176 which means there is room to not just get fitter, but hurt more. 176 is only a few feet into the pain cave. 180+ is the pain territory I should be in for the last few minutes. First, get fitter...

Sunday 11 Nov
    Easy 7.31 miles @8:05
    I dropped Alex off at Rugby and knew I had an hour window. That was enough to meet the weekly goal of running for 4 hours total. It was 2 miles countryside, some suburbia and back to countryside. The first 3 miles were good, clipping along at a smidge under 8min pace and feeling good, albeit chilly. Its that time of year where its maybe too cold to wear short sleeves but not cold enough for long sleeves. The first thing I noticed when I hit suburbia and started the left hand turn middle mile was the ominous dark sky.

I hadn't planned the route but felt I was on track for about 7 miles and that would be an hour. I felt a little anxious by mile 4 though that I had a couple of hills to negotiate and it heavy drops were smacking my face with a nudge from that chilly breeze. By mile 5 I was soaked. I figured Alex must also be soaked on the field. My frozen knuckles told me there was a chance his session would be finished early and I didn't want him waiting for me cold by the car. I pushed on a little a little to keep warm, my poor choice of a cotton tee clinging to me. The countryside part had really darkened since I had left it and mile 7 particularly was almost like running on a cold, wet night. As I approached my car after 59 minutes running Alex also stepped off the field equally soaked but a good deal muddier and happier than I.

Weekly Summary - Total 6hr08
    What|#|Hrs|Dist
    Running|5|4hrs12|30.44 miles
    Swimming|1|0hrs36|2,000m
    Rowing|1|0hrs30|7,695m
    S&C|1|0hrs50|
    Overall pleased to do something everyday and have no niggles. It was just an hour more volume and hit the weekly mileage target. Slowly does it..

Monday 12 Nov - T-6 Weeks to the start of the Hansons Plan
    Easy-Steady 7.38 miles @8:03
    I just had to get out today. Big work day and up to the big smoke tomorrow. If I didn't it would be Wednesday that I got my first run of the week and would have had to run 5 days in a row. Pretty chilly windy conditions and lunchtime city life was busy. I rain straight to and through town out the other side along the Condell path. I could smell the river. Good fresh smell not pollution. Mile 3 beeped at the pier I often pause at but I decided to finish the length of the path. The watch hr was spiking and unreliable but I tried to keep the effort easy. I maintained pace on hills or into the chilly wind which was more steady aerobic. I retraced my steps up through town but opted for the Hyde Road back to work. It was a mile of headwind but satisfied to put another 59 minutes running down. A quarter of the running weekly volume in the bag.

Tuesday 13 Nov
    Strength: Bootcamp 40 mins
    I needed my inhaler after this and my legs are still shaking.

It was 3 rounds of exercises
    1) 90secs on rower, bike, stepper, treadmill, climber
    2) 5x 90secs 20 squats, 10 push ups, remainder as many jumping burpees as you can
    3) 5x 90secs 20 lunges, 10 20kg kettlebell swings, remainder as many mountain climbers as you can. 30 secs rest between all reps.

Basically the instructor called 30, 45 secs gone but roared a pick up at 60 secs. So, the last 30 secs of each rep was everything you had. The rest 30 secs was hanging over a bar or wiping sweat off the floor, panting.

I started on the "cardio" and the Concept 2 Erg. 90 secs eh. Basically I hit 500m in 1:29.5. Pretty close to max effort. My heart rate hit 186 in 90 secs!! Pretty much max. Then I had 38 minutes of work to go. Average 141hr for a class including rests is pretty high. The most intense 40 min workout I've done in a long time. Loved it but I was smashed afterwards, completely smashed. Burpees are hell on earth when you are already wrecked! Tomorrows run will be interesting

• Advertisement

Wednesday 14 Nov
    Yoga with Adrienne 36mins. Long day after a 3hr drive, all I had the energy for but needed it.

Thursday 15 Nov
    Recovery 4.2 miles @8:40
    Nice easy trot around suburbia on a chilly windy wet evening. Hamstrings were heavy but looser by the end.

Strength: HIIT 32mins
    5 sets of 45secs on 30secs off of
    Advanced push ups
    Burpees
    Lunge with torso twist
    Side lunge with toe touch

I didn't go anywhere near as hard as Tuesday. Even pace throughout focusing on quality of movement and full range of motion. Felt good doing this after the run

Thursday 16 Nov
    Easy 6.03 miles @8:10
    Today is a mild, grey, windy day. Maybe it was the kids still in school or the thousands of crows around the city but people's expressions were sort of grey also and grimacing in the wind. As I ran through the park it felt like a standoff between the dull grey sky and the spectacular green and yellow terrain. Looking in on an empty playground I felt the grey was edging it. For once I was happy to be leaving the park, at least for a few miles. Those miles were a figure of eight around the three bridges in the city taking in the best parts. It was just eerily quiet for a lunchtime, like I was either too early or too late for the party. Caught in that grey stupor, the run came an went rather descript. I kicked some leaves in the last mile simply to stir something up.

I rushed a shower and gulped some sushi only to find the meeting I was in a hurry to attend, had moved. Funny sort of session but one thing was certain, the legs feel good and wanted to do strides or something soon.

Monday Nov 19
    Drawing a line under last week
    Weekly Summary - Total 4hr53
    What|#|Hrs|Dist
    Running|3|2hrs43|17.81 miles
    Strength|2|1hrs26|
    Rowing|1|0hrs42|10,000m
    Yoga|1|0hrs36|

Not happy that I missed the weekly targets. 7hrs, a swim and 30 miles. The weekend just ran away from me. I salvaged something with a 10k capped row late last night. My diet was rubbish for the weekend too but the weigh in this morning of 80.9kg showed no difference there. No planned travel up and down the motorway this week so zero excuses.

This week minimum: 7hrs, 30 miles, a swim and clean up the diet.

5 Weeks to the start of the marathon program
    Volume Goals
    T-5 Weeks: 30 miles
    T-4 Weeks: 35 miles
    T-3 Weeks: 35 miles
    T-2 Weeks: 40 miles
    T-1 Week: 25 miles (xmas week)

Id like to get back up to 50 miles a week but over the summer when I restarted, I did it too quickly and injury followed. A more sensible approach might get me to 40 miles but that's plenty for the start of the program. I'll have been at an average of 30+miles for 7 weeks. Not the foundation I wanted but its something to build on. Is it enough for a go at sub3? Honestly, I seriously doubt it but I intend to follow my first marathon plan in years and execute whatever I have on the day.

Monday 19 Nov
    Easy - Steady 6.27 miles @7:58
    It was late after a long day that I got out last night. Bitterly cold out and after 3 miles easy running with frozen knuckles around suburbia and up to the Raheen Industrial Estate, I decided to push on to steady effort just for a mile. Midway through the mile I met a hill and a wind that went through you. Max heart rate for the run 2 or so minutes later (171). I intended to back down to easy effort home but my breathing was shallow, the cold had enveloped my lungs and I just couldn't relax it. My heart rate was over 160 at a slow pace for the last 2 miles and I needed the inhaler at the door. Time to layer up... horrible run.

Tuesday 20 Nov
    Easy 7.26 miles @7:58
    I slept 8 hours! Out in daylight on a beautiful, chilly, sunny morning. I ran through town and out and back the Condell Road passed the many pairs of walkers, dog walkers and other runners. I wore a hat and sleeves and just soaked in the fresh cold air. A day off so unhurried and a relaxed mind also meant a relaxed body. I kept it easy focusing on relaxed breathing. The cadence and pace were the same as last nights run but average heart rate a significant 10 beats lower. Amazing the difference in 12 hours. A very enjoyable run :)

Wednesday 21 Nov.
    Swim 2,200m
    Early morning triathlon group. I jumped into the middle lane for a warm up with fins then managed to find myself more or less in the same spot in the line that I was 5 months ago, doh! The main set of work was as follows
    2 sets of (200m, 2x150m, 4x100m). Pretty innocent. The 200s and 150s were at about 1:44/100m pace and the 100s were at 1:39-1:42/100m pace.

I managed to hold onto the 2 leads for the first set comfortably. However, after the second 200 I blew a gasket and held on for dear life for the rest of the 2nd set. I was gulping air and giving it socks on those 100s to not fall off the pace. Very pleased to get through it but I was hanging over the lane ropes for a finish. This will improve if I can get swimming consistently.

Still Wednesday 21 Nov
    Steady Run 6.72 miles @7:46
    Much later on a cold evening with a colder breeze under a full moon. I really procrastinated, sat at the bottom of the stairs for ages. I eventually put some beats in my ears double long sleeves and a hat and hit the road. The first mile (7:48) was just about getting warm. Mile 2 should have calmed a bit but I was still cold (7:50). By mile 3 I was struggling again to control my breathing and a (7:59) meant I was not doing a good job of slowing down to help. I walked for a minute to relax my shoulder and breathing. Once I had it under control set off again. Caz reminded me after the run that I should have used the inhaler before the run too.

Mile 4 was mainly downhill (7:44) but my heart rate was 10+ beats lower and I felt much more relaxed. I just kept up a fresh cadence. I kept an eye on the heart rate which stayed in the low 140s but mile 5 (7:42) and mile 6 (7:33) kept getting faster. I felt great and the legs were full of running. Despite the pace I kept the heart rate well below the cap for the last 3 miles. A run of 2 halves that thankfully ended better than it started. I need to ensure the rest of the weeks miles are easy now.

In other news, mince pies are no tempting me everywhere I go. I made a deal with myself that I'd eat no crap Tesco ones etc.. If I'm going to have them they will be form the Market or home baked. That should hopefully curb the annual mince pie related weight gain

"The hardest step is the door step";)

I see you do yoga with Adrienne, she has a good 15min pre-run routine that helps prepare the body/mind into a good running state.

Cheers KG. I've done her post run routine so I'll give this a go

Thursday 22 Nov
    Easy 6.31 miles @8:03
    It looks so lovely out the window but boy is it Baltic! I opted for the country route. 3 miles out and back with he middle 4 between trees and hedges. The amazing autumn leaf display have given away to barren branches since I last came up this way. The second mile was challenging, into a biting wind and up a log hill. At the turnaround the noise of the wind in my ears suddenly stopped and the fridge encasing my head was lifted. Very pleasant run back to work in low bright winter sunshine. No niggles to report but the legs are need of a good stretch.

Friday 23 Nov
    Swim 1,600m
    I wanted to run today but stuck to the weekly plan to take a day off. Right calf a bit tight so stretched that out.

The swim was the early morning triathlon group. Middle lane and I was late. Barely a 3 min warm up then into the set. 4x (200m/100m)
    In on
    1) 3:13/1:36
    2) 3:13/1:32
    3) 3:14/1:32
    4) 3:17/1:32

Friday is speed day so the paces were quicker but rest times also longer. I felt good. For the last 3 100s I let the leads off for 5+ secs and chased hard to catch. Happy to hit 1:32 for each of those comfortably. Nice short swim, quality over quantity.

Sunday 25 Nov
    Easy 9.32 miles @7:59
    75mins running! Woop! I felt great on this, legs full of running. It was calm, cold and dark. I had to check the pace after the first few excitable miles @7:40s. I had the watch covered but glanced at it occasionally to ensure the effort matched the zone. It was a suburban route and I wanted to run over an hour. I knew I'd have it at 8 miles but went a longer way around the last block to hit 9 miles and my longest run in months. I went back over the diary from the summer and when I restarted in May I was at 10 miles after 4 runs. I expect to hit 10 miles this weekend but it will be after 5 weeks of running 3-5 times a week and 30 miles. Much more sensible approach! If I hit 10 miles and feel good I may start to gradually bring in intensity

Putting a line under last week it was a more respectable 7 hours but I hot the running and swim goals for the week. All Good. Weight Check also down to 80.3kg.

Goals this week are 35-40 miles with a 10 mile medium long run, a swim and bring back S&C

Weekly Summary - Total 6hr57
    What|#|Hrs|Dist
    Running|5|4hrs45|35.86 miles
    Swimming|2|1hrs12|3,800m
    Yoga|1|0hrs50|

Tuesday 27 Nov
    Steady 6.25 miles @ 7:57
    Daylight run out and back the countryside to make the most of an hour window. I turned the first corner from work and a bitter Easterly wind cut through me. I shivered. The first mile was a steady 7:38 to warm up. Mile 2 was calm and pleasant running up a gradual 3 minute hill easy with the wind at my back. Mile 3 was similar but a lovely soft misty rain began to fall. It was so quiet I could run in the middle of the road. As soon as I turned for mile 4 the wind returned but I felt a bit warmer. By mile 4 the mist had given way to a downpour. I got absolutely soaked and ran back down that long hill with my top stuck to my chest. The legs felt good though and by mile 5 after 2 shorter but steeper hills, the sun emerged to make the last urban mile to work pleasant running.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 28 Nov
    Swim 1,500m steady
    Its a bit gnarly out there with storm Diana. Strong gusts and driving rain, hmmm maybe a run later then. I drove across to the pool instead. Due to the commute I'd only get a small swim so 1,500m straight was the goal. I practically had a lane to myself so I could practice tumble turns unsuccessfully without risk of injuring anyone but myself.

First 700m at 1:48 pace, next 400m at 1:47, next 200m at 1:46 and last 200m at 1:40 pace. I started easy but the tumbles slowed the end of each lap and probably added a few strokes as I didn't push off the wall with the same power. After half way I just tired and had to work so grabbed the wall and kicked off. I was instantly getting 2m more on the glide. For the last 200m I just pushed it up to 4th gear and finished out. 26:33. Unfit, satisfactory.

Thursday 29 Nov
    Easy 6.98 miles @8:01
    I thought I was going to be soaked again but the dark sky just leaked a few fat drops of rain but didn't bother with the rest, thankfully. Milder than yesterday and I had a breeze behind me for the first 3 miles through town and out the Condell road. I felt great. The legs, lungs and core all feel ready to push on a little. I just had the nicest rhythm going and took in the bare trees and trail littered with twigs after Storm Diana. Some sunshine even leaked through the heavy clouds to provide some slightly warm rays. I lost the rhythmic breathing a touch crossing the bridge back into town and with the last mile to work being mostly uphill, it didn't recover to the relaxation I initially had. Still, another good easy one in the bag and on track to push on to 10 miles on Sunday.

Tuesday 4 Dec
    Row Steady State 20 mins, Run Steady 5.12 miles @7:49
    Christmas parties are starting early this year. The weekend and up to Tuesday were party, hangover, party, hangover. This was a hotel gym session en route to another one. I was hanging.

The row was at 1:58 pace, 5,089m covered and about all I could manage. The run was the treadmill, which I hate but much better than running around rush hour Dublin city center traffic. Steady pace and effort but sweated buckets. I'm repeating last week to hit the weekly targets. I want to hit them clean for 3 weeks in the lead up to the start of the marathon programme.

Yet to indulge in a mince pie which is good, but alcohol not good. Not able!

Wednesday 5 Dec
    Steady Run 6.0 miles @7:31 (inc 2x 3min intervals)
    Treadmill again. Boring and to make it worse since my shoes and feet cant breathe I developed a blister. Intended to see out 45 minutes which I did. Pushed out 2x 3 minutes at 6:30 pace in the last 10 minutes. It felt like work but my chest is at me at the moment so the effort pinched a little. The lungs may have been taxed but the legs were full of running.

Sunday 9 Dec
    Medium Long Run 11.11 miles @7:11
    My first run outside this week. Its been a week with 5 parties and more alcohol than I have consumed all year. Today I felt human and again and since it was going to be the run that would take me over the 1,000 mile mark for the year I decided to make it a tester. 1:19:45 is my longest run in months and it was steady for 8 miles and tempo for the last 3.

I just ran as I felt at a solid but aerobic pace, incorporating miles 13-20 of the GLR route. It was chilly, windy, wet and sunny out, a real mix. The first 8 miles steady were probably around marathon pace except for hills and headwind. The last 3 miles were 7:03, 7:02 and 6:57. The last one was into the wind too so the heart rate hit the red zone for just a moment. Overall I spent some 50 minutes at tempo.

It was a rubbish week but a good way to end it. I certainly won't be doing long runs at this intensity but more like easy with "stuff" thrown in. Ran through 10k in 44 minutes too which is my fastest in years.

On the 1,000 miles. Its the first time in 5 years completing it! I have run 200-300 miles each year for the last 4 years.

Monday 10 Dec
    Swim 2,200m
    I missed the swimming last week. The usual lane lead wasn't down so everyone kind of looked at me after the warm up to lead out. The session was 4x200m, 4x150m and 4x100m all steady.
    200s were 3:19, 3:21, 3:18, 3:17
    150s were 2:29, 2:30, 2:31, 2:30
    100s were 1:38, 1:42, 1:41, 1:41

Pretty solid session keeping up 1:39-1:41 pace through out. The 200s had 30 secs rest, 150s were 15 secs and 100s were at 10sec rest. I found on the 200s I started to pull away from the group on the final 50 so I just settled a little for the shorter reps. I had a small niggle on the front of my right hip that felt perfectly finer after this swim. Good start to the week.

http://limerickmasters.com/?page_id=1881

Get yourself signed up! The 1,500 and 800 tend to fill up quickly.

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    http://limerickmasters.com/?page_id=1881

Get yourself signed up! The 1,500 and 800 tend to fill up quickly.

50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1,500 all entered. Sure why not!

50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1,500 all entered. Sure why not!

:D Thats the spirit!

Looking forward to catching up with you down there, its a great couple of days and one of the friendliest race meets around!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 12 December
    Easy 3.48 miles @8:24
    I've done a few other bits this week but this is the only one worth reporting. A half hour run in the wind and rain with Sean, back from NYC, still overdressed in gear, head torch and a huge bright new watch that looks like it can summon spacecraft from clandestine orbit :D It flew by in a heartbeat, chatting and often shouting into the headwind. Just a joy to be running with one of my besties again and already plotting some adventures. They will be low key and just craic though. The direction of this log remains!
    Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    :D Thats the spirit!

Looking forward to catching up with you down there, its a great couple of days and one of the friendliest race meets around!
    Kinda sunk in now. 3+ months to get fit, and learn how to dive off a board and tumble turn.. I need to put some work in to simply not embarrass myself or my new club :o

Advertisement