Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Boardsie climbing to Everest Base Camp

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 44 Verified rep I'm climbing to Everest Base Camp, AMA

9or10 wrote: »
    So the coat/jacket you have on now, in the humid jungle type, is the same one that will do EBC with the snow and wind?

Or have I just misunderstood?

Sorry, no. In my bag I have a sleeveless snow jacket for higher up, for the rain u have a very light rain jacket I can throw over myself when hiking. Anything heavier than that is too heavy for me - I'll only end up sweating in it and overheating.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Just crossed the border, on a bus to ktm. Might cha on the way back. I'll be wearing a DCM 2016 top and Nike runners woefully under prepared

Good work. Pilgrim Guest House in Thamel is a good place to stay - they have cheap rooms downstairs in the back that they don't tell people about. I'll have the red & grey rucksack, black shorts or hiking pants and black baseball cap, and probably sweating like only an Irish man can.

You may want to reconsider the footwear though. The track is sometimes a river of mud lower down - your feet will get saturated. Not to mention grip on the rockier sections. Also, Salleri is now an option as a starting point, due to the new roads they cut in here.
    Ha well rolling blackouts are one thing, still pretty surprising to have all power going off in an airport!

Saw you said you're in SE Asia, whereabouts are you? I live in HK actually, chose Nepal for my holiday over Easter since there are direct flights to Kathmandu. Kathmandu is easily the most mental, polluted city I've ever been in. Was interesting of course, but much preferred my time in Pokhara (didn't do any hiking/trekking).

Not to give too much away, but I definitely don't live anywhere like HK. Where I live is certainly far more behind the times. Feel free to PM me for more info though.
    EirWatchr wrote: »
    Trekking to Everest Base Case is *not* the bog standard adventure package holiday it is promoted to be. There are potential health complications from trekking in such extreme altitudes near base camp that can arise both on the mountain and long after. I know of people who have had to be taken off the mountain (and more). If you are not young and fit and - most especially - if you are a parent to young children, I urge you not to consider going on an Everest Base Camp holiday.

I don’t want to scare or rain on anyone’s parade, and I hope y’all have an enjoyable and safe adventure, but I have personal experience of this that compels me to post this.

Nope, that's a fair assessment, and I didn't put it forward as such. A big problem is that it's presented as such, and that you can jump on a plane to get you ¾ of the way there and have your bags carried up removes the need to have the skillset to get there. The stretch from Lukla - Namche Bazaar yesterday was enough for me, which is why I'm changing my route. They have a couple of resort mountain lodges now built in Phadung (halfway point between Lukla and NB) where I passed an older Korean tour group absolutely hammered. An a Japanese guy being led into Lukla on the back of a mule, like Jesus of Nazareth, because he couldn't be arsed walking. That section of the route in particular is pretty shocking.

The rescue chopper that flies back and forth every day speaks a different story though.
    Do you ever get lonely/scared in your tent alone on the side of mountain with the wolves potentially outside?
    Also- forgive the intrusion..
    Is there any chance of meeting some trekking ladies/gents that you (not you personally!) could 'get to know' in your tent? I'm just thinking, it's so remote and like being in a bubble so it might seem magical and lead to someting!! Or maybe I watch too much TV.

Lonely or scared, not particularly. I think in an area like this, any wildlife stays well and truly away from people, and the tent is only a fallback if I go off the trail or don't want to stay somewhere local. As for “meeting someone” - if you could smell me right now, youd know the answer to that :D I smell like the Devils arsecrack right now so I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Again though, I imagine if you signed up with a tour group, and were staying in the fancier places, it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,040 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Thanks for update.
    Smell you later.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alerium

I don't mean to be pushy, and I understand that internet and signal may be a problem, but when you get back to 'civilisation' could you post pics of your current surroundings (as in tent, food, trail, mountain, base camp etc.)

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 44 Verified rep I'm climbing to Everest Base Camp, AMA

To further explain my issue with tour groups….

Me3AZoG.jpg

This is a group of about 10 people, Australian from the accents, aged from late 20s to mid 40s, all seemingly fit enough to carry their own packs (sorry about the crappy pic, didn't want to get caught).

The guy in front is their Porter, carrying three or four of their rucksacks, the group can gust be seen behind him…

rcB3QTG.jpg

The guy stretched out on the wall, exhausted, is one of the porters following him. He's 17 years old (I asked). The pack immediately to his left is another 3 rucksacks (they put them in duffel bags to protect them).

t3J64n3.jpg

The load being carried by their third porter - I'd estimate it at being 35-40kg.

Hiking to base camp is easy folks - all you gotta do is pay the locals a few dollars a day to carry all your things for you.

Bear in mind, these hikers are young, healthy, yet the only thing one was carrying was a 12” x 12” solar panel on his back to keep his iPod charged, so he could listen to music on his Beats headphones on the way down.

Remember that, next time you're asked for a donation from someone who is hiking to base camp for charity…

Alerium wrote: »
    I don't mean to be pushy, and I understand that internet and signal may be a problem, but when you get back to 'civilisation' could you post pics of your current surroundings (as in tent, food, trail, mountain, base camp etc.)

Thanks

Will do. Putting up images with the phone is a complete pain in the arse (though I did just figure out how to post links from imgur). And the signal is hit and miss - I'm posting a lot of things a day after the fact (at least), and I have to point my phone just the right way even to post tonight.

• Advertisement

Will do. Putting up images with the phone is a complete pain in the arse (though I did just figure out how to post links from imgur). And the signal is hit and miss - I'm posting a lot of things a day after the fact (at least), and I have to point my phone just the right way even to post tonight.

No worries, I think I'm just excited to see your surroundings. Don't mean to sound demanding. Following on from an earlier post, I'm quite surprised at how green it is in your pics above, expected snow, even tens of km's away from EBC.

What do you do (apart from singing) while walking long distances to pass the time. Listen to music?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Is this element of "cheating" nearly not present in all forms of mountaineering though?
    Even the likes of the K2 disaster had involved Sherpa deaths.

What's so good about reaching the top and where's the sense of adventure if the only reason why you reach the summit is because some poor chap carried all your gear.
    Surely him reaching the top is much more impressive?
    Surely navigating and reaching the summit on your own should be the main goal?

I'm going to guess it is the same with the charity hikes to Kilimanjaro?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Have you ever done K2? Or would you ever?

Oy5AxrQ.jpg

The airstrip at Lukla, when I passed through this morning. The end closest is a solid wall, backed by mountain. Where the white lines end below, is a drop into the valley below… take off instructions seem to be “gun the engines to the max and bomb it down the runway before you run out of tarmac 

Here's some footage I shot of a plane taking off this morning (I believe it's a Dornier 228)

The airstrip at Lukla, when I passed through this morning. The end closest is a solid wall, backed by mountain. Where the white lines end below, is a drop into the valley below… take off instructions seem to be “gun the engines to the max and bomb it down the runway before you run out of tarmac”…

Here's some footage I shot of a plane taking off this morning (I believe it's a Dornier 228)

Playback error OP.

• Advertisement

Playback error OP.

Should work now.

No worries, I think I'm just excited to see your surroundings. Don't mean to sound demanding. Following on from an earlier post, I'm quite surprised at how green it is in your pics above, expected snow, even tens of km's away from EBC.

What do you do (apart from singing) while walking long distances to pass the time. Listen to music?

Not demanding at all. The only issue at the moment is technical limitations. And the good stuff on the dSLR will have to wait until I'm in Kathmandu.

As for what I do, no iPad, so no listening to music (I don't get people who do that out here anyways), so for the most part I'm inside my own head, or appreciating where I am. Obviously having SO much time to think isn't always a good thing, and after a tough couple of years personally, I was a little concerned that those thoughts would come to the surface, but no issues so far.

For the most part I find myself thinking about random things - yesterday I had a full on conversation in my head with myself in French (?!), the day before that I was craving Monster Munch for some God-knows-what reason. And all the time, one foot in front of the other…
    Is this element of "cheating" nearly not present in all forms of mountaineering though?
    Even the likes of the K2 disaster had involved Sherpa deaths.

What's so good about reaching the top and where's the sense of adventure if the only reason why you reach the summit is because some poor chap carried all your gear.
    Surely him reaching the top is much more impressive?
    Surely navigating and reaching the summit on your own should be the main goal?

I'm going to guess it is the same with the charity hikes to Kilimanjaro?

I think there's a big difference though between being part of an expedition, the logistics of which are so big, it can't be done without a support team, and getting someone to carry your things because you couldn't be arsed.

The teams summit in major peaks may be based on the mountain for a month or more, and will need different base camps in place before a summit attempt. It would be a sheer impossibility to do that alone.

The person coming up from the airstrip ¾ the way up the mountain range, getting a local teen to carry their gear while they carry nothing, whether they should be there in the first place becomes more questionable.

And yes, Kilimanjaro is much the same - I've seen it firsthand there too.
    dizzyn wrote: »
    Have you ever done K2? Or would you ever?

My technical ability would be nowhere near good enough for that - I'd very quickly get myself and everyone around me killed. I have climbed in the area though, about 9 years ago.

Started out at 6am - it's about 7:20 now. View from where I'm walking:

IuwNqS1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

OMG and to think we used to crap ourselves on a windy day in Knock.
    ....so for the most part I'm inside my own head, or appreciating where I am. Obviously having SO much time to think isn't always a good thing, and after a tough couple of years personally, I was a little concerned that those thoughts would come to the surface, but no issues so far.

Oh we got jackets for that ;)

Great job on the AMA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Fantastic AMA and the photos and videos really add to it - that airstrip is crazy!

Best of luck with the hike and thanks for all the posts - you would give Bear Grylls a run for his money on the story telling! :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm glued to this AMA smile.png
    Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    ... you would give Bear Grylls a run for his money on the story telling! :)

We have an Eire Grylls right here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,047 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'll give you till you get back, but then you can expect your inbox to take a pounding from me looking for info :D

Looks amazing, enjoy it

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

So, this is my home for tonight - the village of Mong, population, about 40 by the looks of it, 4000m up in the Himalayas. As promised, I pushed through yesterday and this morning to get away from the tourists, and now I'm heading up towards Gokyo instead. Definitely more my style. Quit today at 3pm - at eight hours, my shortest day hiking so far by a large margin. But it's good to give the muscles a rest, and of course to acclimatize to the altitude a little.

5j8xNV5.jpg

Snowing outside now, so the choice to quit hiking a little early was the right one. Currently keeping warm by the stove, the only source of heat here. No timber this high up, so burning yak droppings :)

dgTZpKf.jpg

While I have signal, and and a little battery left, I thought I'd post a few random photos from along the way.

Some of the earthquake damage that's so obvious along the way. This is by no means the worst, just one of the first I took a photo of.

Nn0hLxx.jpg

In the kitchen of the old couple I stayed with in Kinja. I'd met them a few times before, and their granddaughter, and they remembered me which was nice. Kinja was also decimated by the earthquake.

RXzq0w8.jpg

My bed for the night, along the way...

p52FOOY.jpg

Yep, that is a homemade wooden plough - the same as was used by the first farmers. Life hadn't evolved much up here as people have to be completely self sufficient, but that's sadly all going to change soon...

NHOBlU7.jpg

Somebody asked about homes along the way. Yes, there are some very wealthy Sherpas up here, and their homes/lodges are a reflection of that, however most aren't so lucky.

ZPRz2Is.jpg

P49H8ix.jpg

The donkey highway! Mules are now used to transport gas and fuel to different villages. It's still common to see Sherpas transport full gas bottles on their backs though.

Hda8ur5.jpg

Suspension bridges like this one can be seen throughout the himalayas, to make people's lives a little easier. This is one of the longest, at 105m. My first time here, I was halfway across one when three cows decided to cross from the other side. Whether it was the swaying of the bridge, or a prod from the cow behind, I don't know, but the lead cow startled, and made a beeline for the other side (and inadvertently, me). Imagine the scene from 'Stand By Me' when the kids were on the railway bridge - that was me, running hell for leather for solid ground again, arms flailing in the air as a cow hustled towards me.

T4ALypG.jpg

Yes, that is what you think it is. Spotted this one this morning - a guide carrying a commode up the mountain on his back so the tourists don't have to squat. Sh1tting in the woods is hard, apparently... :/

K47pI6X.jpg

• Advertisement

Maybe that Sherpa has the right idea hauling the potty up.Fuel for his stove!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Life hadn't evolved much up here as people have to be completely self sufficient, but that's sadly all going to change soon...

I may have missed this bit but why is it going to change?

Also, in that Mong village would farming be the only occupation? With only 40 people, do the kids get a chance to go to school?

Great pics OP. Is it ever t-shirt weather where the donkey pic is for example, or is it always cold because it's so high up?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭alekito

Great pictures and updates. Thanks for so many posts and keeping up with the news. It looks like a great hike and climb. The rest of us are all stuck in offices / school / college ... maybe next year some of us can be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Thebe

Loving this AMA, I have major envy. Maybe someday!

Sorry for all the questions. This is foreign to me.
    Is base camp where civilization ends? Are there any inhabitants past there?
    Is it lucrative being a sherpa? Would that be the main source of income for the inhabitants?
    Would anybody be stupid enough to try pull a fast one and get a base camp permit but go on past and try summit?
    Finally.. Do you bring back a piece of your journey as a momento? Like a little pebble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'm enjoying reading your insights and opinions on the trip. It's nice to hear of someone walking in the old route and be self sufficient.

It's worth nothing that many local people only get access to hard cash by working as porters and guides. When on trips to poorer countries I make a point of hiring locally and trying family run accommodation. I've always found that it makes trips more interesting and helps the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just saw this on today's Irish times news feed!

Swiss climber Ueli Steck has died on Mount Everest.
    Ueli Steck (40) died after falling to the foot of Mount Nuptse, a smaller peak in the area, said Mingma Sherpa of the Seven Summits Treks company that organised Mr Steck’s expedition.

Mr Steck was in the area acclimatising ahead of a bid to climb Everest through the less-climbed West Ridge route and traverse to Lhotse, the world’s fourth highest peak - at 8,516 metres in May.

“His body has been retrieved and is being brought to Kathmandu,”

Be careful up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just chatted to a neighbour who did this trip last month, he flew half way then got a guide and a sherpa to carry his bags, they arranged his itinerary and accommodation, he didn't go all the way to EBC, the cost from Kathmandu was $1100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Just saw this on today's Irish times news feed!

Swiss climber Ueli Steck has died on Mount Everest.
    Ueli Steck (40) died after falling to the foot of Mount Nuptse, a smaller peak in the area, said Mingma Sherpa of the Seven Summits Treks company that organised Mr Steck’s expedition.

Mr Steck was in the area acclimatising ahead of a bid to climb Everest through the less-climbed West Ridge route and traverse to Lhotse, the world’s fourth highest peak - at 8,516 metres in May.

“His body has been retrieved and is being brought to Kathmandu,”

Be careful up there!

I was thinking of you OP when I heard this today. What is the mood like locally this evening? Did you ever meet Mr Steck, sounds like he was a very experienced and well-respected climber. RIP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement