Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Boardsie climbing to Everest Base Camp

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm in manali atm doing some day treks. I plan to be in Nepal on the 1st of may, crossing the banbassa land border. This is something I'd be interested in doing, you camping or guesthouses along the route?

Hey, think you missed this question but I've a follow up.

Is 30 days enough time to arrive, get the permits, get to jiri and complete the trek and get back to India before my Visa expires?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There was an incident in Greys Anatomy the other night, where they had to stop a brain bleed, and erectile dysfunction tablets were used, as no meds were available. That's twice in a few days now I've heard about it being used as a thinner.

Good luck and have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

A neighbour of mine just came back from EBC a few days ago, he is now very sick due to the lack of sanitation, so be careful up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Probably a silly question but is it cold?

Another silly one - what is the terrain like on the way up to base camp? Dirt roads? Fields? Rocky ground?

Thanks for a great AMA!!

• Company Representative Posts: 44 Verified rep I'm climbing to Everest Base Camp, AMA

Just got off the bus in Jiri. Had planned to stay here tonight, but decided to make a start. It's 15:23 here, going to get at least one mountain pass behind me before dark.

Will post later and answer any unanswered questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Wow what a really interesting AMA.
    I really admire your attitude OP; the way you travel alone, staying with unprepared people to make sure they are ok and being sensible about the whole thing etc. I do a bit of hiking myself and its crazy how may people you see wearing inappropriate footwear, not having the correct gear with them etc. I'm shocked the same happens at EBC.
    Best of luck on the hike, as another poster said, please share some photos, I'd love to see what the trail is like.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Best of luck for the hike!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Great AMA - best of luck on your trip.

My question I think has already been asked, didn't see an answer anywhere. - Why EBC again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

No questions, just totally fascinated. Best of luck and stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Very quiet out there....I wonder has he tripped over a snowball :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

beertons wrote: »
    There was an incident in Greys Anatomy the other night, where they had to stop a brain bleed, and erectile dysfunction tablets were used, as no meds were available. That's twice in a few days now I've heard about it being used as a thinner.

Good luck and have a good time.

Not to be pedantic but it was to treat the guy with pulmonary hypertension (the one complaining about the kid crying at the start) not the brain bleed guy they used the ED meds on, again to dilate the blood vessels to carry oxygen around his body to stop him suffocating from the inside.

Good luck OP! Can't wait to see pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Thebe

Is there any way you could put a pin on a map online somewhere or something like that every few days?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

diomed wrote: »
    Is it all about ego?
    Has anyone ever gone to Everest, come back, and not mentioned it?

Hard to tell, they didn't mention it..

• Company Representative Posts: 44 Verified rep I'm climbing to Everest Base Camp, AMA

Morning all.

It's just coming up on 7am here, which is actually a little late for me, but I hadn't gotten any proper sleep the night before and I have a long day ahead, so the extra hour was worth it. I arrived in Jiri last night at 19:20pm,in the dark, but getting a warm up in yesterday, and some miles out of the way was worth it I think.
    How do you get so much free time to undertake climbs like this? What would this trip cost as an example?

I have a couple of factors in my favor. I work in a profession that allows me free time, and I already live in SE Asia, so that helps. I also don't have a family, so I don't have the constraints that comes with. And I live pretty frugally while traveling. From Jiri back to Jiri will probably cost me less than $100 if I'm careful, a little more if I splash out, primarily because I do my own thing. Permits were another $50. And flights to get here and back, $300. Not bad...

RasTa wrote: »
    Hey, think you missed this question but I've a follow up.

Is 30 days enough time to arrive, get the permits, get to jiri and complete the trek and get back to India before my Visa expires?

I can't speak for your level of fitness, but assuming you hike at a reasonable trot, and don't take too many rest days en route (I recommend taking a day at Lukla or Namche Bazaar to recoup),you should be fine - my first time here crossed from India too, and had plenty of time. Takes a day to get things sorted in Kathmandu and a day to get to Jiri, then you're off.

smurfjed wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine just came back from EBC a few days ago, he is now very sick due to the lack of sanitation, so be careful up there.

sanitation... You've seen where I usually live, right?! :D

mfceiling wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but is it cold?

Another silly one - what is the terrain like on the way up to base camp? Dirt roads? Fields? Rocky ground?

Thanks for a great AMA!!

Not a silly question at all. What many people aren't aware of is that many of the tracks here are the only route of commerce between villages - there are no roads, so every item is walked into the villages on the backs of Sherpas. Which is a fair undertaking when I you consider that every nail, board, sheet of galvanize, pot, pan might have been carried for 100km on someone's back. I've often met Sherpas Laden down with 40kg of diesel for generators, with a few sheets of plywood and tin for good measure. To say they are hardy people is an understatement of epic proportions.

So the trail itself is easily followed, particularly low down. And over generations, villagers have made stone steps leading up to the villages in particularly sloppy sections. Attached are a couple of pics from yesterday - mods will probably need to resize them, as I can't from here.

415235.jpg

[img][/img]http://i.imgur.com/sveQLzt.jpg

415236.jpg

[img][/img]http://i.imgur.com/smcTChG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

I expected a winter wonderland for some reason. :D

Looks lovely.

Can someone please fix the photo links as they are showing as "invalid img".
    Some of the nicest photos that i have seen from that part of the world are posted by a helicopter pilot, they can be found here.
    http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/483614-top-world-photos-nepal-212.html

smurfjed wrote: »
    Can someone please fix the photo links as they are showing as "invalid img".
    Some of the nicest photos that i have seen from that part of the world are posted by a helicopter pilot, they can be found here.
    http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/483614-top-world-photos-nepal-212.html

I've asked the forum mods to resize the pics and fix the links. They'll probably have to do the same for all future pics, so apologies in advance. If you see any broken images throughout the course of this thread, please report the post.

Time to keep going. 11:26 and have already climbed the equivalent of Carrauntouhil - absolutely knackered already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

oleras wrote: »

Looks lovely.

Me too :o

So in that second pic (rucksack in foreground) - The blue balconied, 3/4 storey, is that a dwelling or something grander?

Then on the left is a single storey tin place is that a dwelling or a shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I feel really lazy now OP reading your posts!
    My question is- do you need any navigation assistance trekking to base camp? Map or compass? GPS?
    Or do you just follow the 'path'?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just playing devils advocate here but how do we know the OP is in India and not here :D

I'll get my crampons:)

@tatranska.... because we personally know him :)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Images are embedded now folks for those of you who couldn't view the links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alerium

What is the walking distance in km from Jiri > Lukla > EBC?

How do you get from Kathmandu to Jiri?

Keep the posts coming.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Loved your previous AMA, this one is making me equally jealous!

When are you going to grow up and settle down, get a pension, a mortgage and health insurance? :rolleyes:

What's for dinner tonight?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

oleras wrote: »

Looks lovely.

Me too! I'm surprised at how verdant it is :D It looks absolutely beautiful though, I can totally see the appeal of doing that trek.

Really looking forward to seeing how the terrain starts to change as you get closer to EBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Haven't got a question at the moment but just wanted to wish you safe travels. I'm an armchair mountaineer - I love reading books about Everest. Looking forward to following your journey in real time and seeing your photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Thanks Niamh. I can see the photos now.
    My gosh I wasn't expecting ferns!

To thine own self be true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement