Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

According to the Times they have hired someone from comunicorp to replace one of the departing staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

According to the Times they have hired someone from comunicorp to replace one of the departing staff.

Most likely some one their ad sales people.

Broadcasting in Ireland isn't broadcasting with out Ad people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

watty wrote: »
    "Ireland AM" should be banned by Regulator. It's a wall to wall scam. No chance they will drop it. Probably their most profitable program with those fake quizzes and virtually 100% product placement.

irelandam is one reason I leave for work early so I can home for work earlier
    its one reason it should have it on 24 hours all day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It wouldn't be Pat Kenny, would it?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    According to the Sunday Business Post

1. Weekend and Late Night News Axed from Next Month
    2. Ireland AM returns to the 7 to 10 format
    3. Jeremy Kyle and some Children's Court Programme from the US from 10 to 11:30
    4. Midday starts at 11:30
    5. And the much more announced part The 12:45 becomes the much hipper and savvy The 12:30
    Absolutely goes against everything a PSB should stand for.. they don't deserve to hold such a licence in Ireland - the sooner UTV comes in and puts them to the sword the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Sure we all know the BAI will roll over and let them do what they want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hard to believe that they can call themselves a PSB and parade that to the BAI yet not broadcast any news whatsoever between Friday 18:00 and Monday 07:00. That's mind boggling. Next weekend will be a big news weekend with the local and European elections on Friday and TV3 won't be covering any of the results until Monday morning.

Since they are live on air with Vincent Browne anyway on weeknights, surely including a news bulletin is a no-brainer?

icdg wrote: »
    Hard to believe that they can call themselves a PSB and parade that to the BAI yet not broadcast any news whatsoever between Friday 18:00 and Monday 07:00. That's mind boggling. Next weekend will be a big news weekend with the local and European elections on Friday and TV3 won't be covering any of the results until Monday morning.

Since they are live on air with Vincent Browne anyway on weeknights, surely including a news bulletin is a no-brainer?

Very surprised they are not covering the Elections, They make such a fuss about the moratorium and then they provide no coverage. They could have given Ireland AM a weeks holiday to provide coverage of the Elections next weekend.

Yes TV listings show no news output at all for next Saturday. Approx. 30mins of Irish produced program from 10am to midnight. Yet they claim Utv Ireland will be nothing only an foreign ad opt out channel-unlike tv3 of course.

Anyone know what obligations TV3 actually have as an Irish PSB? How much news/Irish programming must they broadcast?

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone know what obligations TV3 actually have as an Irish PSB? How much news/Irish programming must they broadcast?
    According to the bai website rte and tg4 are public service while tv3 is classed as a commercial broadcaster.

According to the bai website rte and tg4 are public service while tv3 is classed as a commercial broadcaster.
    I think both TV3 and 3e are still licensed as a "Commercial" PSB - the only reason sky moved 3e up the EPG was because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Well some of us saw this coming ages ago. It's not hard to work out what they're up to. You just have to think the worst and It'll probably happen. To be fair, there has been little or no weekend news from them for years at this stage. a 90 second bulletin on Saturday and Sunday with no weather forecast really doesn't count.

icdg wrote: »

As long as nothing happened in the world between 6 and 11 it would be a no brainier. However, a breaking news story that would need reporters could happen, so it's better just to say that the News Division has closed for the day.

I wouldn't be too impressed at all by the extension of the news at 12.30 by 15 minutes. A few light pieces or sport will fill it out.

Well some of us saw this coming ages ago. It's not hard to work out what they're up to. You just have to think the worst and It'll probably happen. To be fair, there has been little or no weekend news from them for years at this stage. a 90 second bulletin on Saturday and Sunday with no weather forecast really doesn't count.

As long as nothing happened in the world between 6 and 11 it would be a no brainier. However, a breaking news story that would need reporters could happen, so it's better just to say that the News Division has closed for the day.

I wouldn't be too impressed at all by the extension of the news at 12.30 by 15 minutes. A few light pieces or sport will fill it out.
    Yep we all knew it was one way or another and as predicted TV3 have gone the old route that got themselves into this mess in the first place - no news/current affairs at the weekend is disgraceful, one for which they don't deserve a full PSB licence.

If that is their schedule I can't see them lasting past a year or two of UTV Ireland broadcasting, it really is a shame - if they had the balls to totally turn away from the celebrity/cheap programming then there is a place for them in Irish broadcasting but as it stands they are an obstacle that all the rest have to overcome on a daily basis with their anti RTÉ/BAI/UTV agenda rather then actually settling down and giving the thing a go.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yep we all knew it was one way or another and as predicted TV3 have gone the old route that got themselves into this mess in the first place - no news/current affairs at the weekend is disgraceful, one for which they don't deserve a full PSB licence.

If that is their schedule I can't see them lasting past a year or two of UTV Ireland broadcasting, it really is a shame - if they had the balls to totally turn away from the celebrity/cheap programming then there is a place for them in Irish broadcasting but as it stands they are an obstacle that all the rest have to overcome on a daily basis with their anti RTÉ/BAI/UTV agenda rather then actually settling down and giving the thing a go.

It's really a countdown to when they cease operations in their current format now. I would assume they've another 12 months in them but not much more. They're trying all kinds of tricks to get a white knight to come and buy them but I doubt if anyone will especially when it's easier to set up an operation from scratch.

I reckon that they'll drop a lot more news in the new year. They'll be able to give an excuse that UTV are already covering that section of the market with their offering.

The true tragedy here is that there is room in the market for a Irish station that isn't tied to the ITV schedule. TV3 were supposed to be that station but obviously failed.

It's really a countdown to when they cease operations in their current format now. I would assume they've another 12 months in them but not much more. They're trying all kinds of tricks to get a white knight to come and buy them but I doubt if anyone will especially when it's easier to set up an operation from scratch.

I reckon that they'll drop a lot more news in the new year. They'll be able to give an excuse that UTV are already covering that section of the market with their offering.

The true tragedy here is that there is room in the market for a Irish station that isn't tied to the ITV schedule. TV3 were supposed to be that station but obviously failed.
    Definitely the opening for a third separate identity in Irish broadcasting - (RTÉ, An basic Irish variation of ITV and a separate Irish unique channel) ... If TV3 Ireland under its current hierarchy is still in business Jan 2016 I will be absolutely amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Not covering the Local and European Elections in my view will count as a big loss in viewership figures for that particular weekend for starters. And that is a big shame because viewers would want to know what sort of political landscape is being looked at for Europe and the locals in the future.

With a big change coming towards us in Irish Politics coming in for that weekend, TV3 are meant to cover the story to provide us with a different viewpoint on the day rather than the rest of us having to contend to stick with a one sided agenda from RTE to provide us that coverage.

With a channel having no news or current affairs output to happen on any weekend is a big loss for them. From a viewers point of view It doesn't gain them any popularity in doing so. It loses viewers from having to listen to a different news agenda and because they are a commercial broadcaster they would lose ad revenue along the way from people not watching their channel when their news output is meant to fill a decent part of their schedule.

But we know from our point of view. The news output from TV3 at the weekends has been rubbish from the very time it cut off their week in review programme they had on sunday nights. If TV3 are to say that news coverage is becoming more expensive for them to run than in my view they would need to put together an expenditure review of their news department underway to see whether or not it is cost effective for them to run it in the long term.

If they don't continue with News or Current Affairs they would either need to a get a content only licence from the BAI rather than sticking with a PSB licence and let UTV have it or close up shop altogether because they don't seem to me to be running their channels in a confident manner.

With a big change coming towards us in Irish Politics coming in for that weekend, TV3 are meant to cover the story to provide us with a different viewpoint on the day rather than the rest of us having to contend to stick with a one sided agenda from RTE to provide us that coverage.

I think TV3 get away with a lot in relation to this debate about RTÉ's one sided agenda. TV3's original news was very much the same as RTÉ's, I don't really see much difference between the news on Local Radio Stations, the Commerical National Radio Stations than we get from RTÉ. In actual fact I would say many Locals are far more FF and FG than RTÉ are.

It is difficult for RTÉ to have to put up with all sides saying they are being treated unfairly.

It also helps that Vincent Browne can give TV3 some creditability but in general TV3 is much like the rest of the Irish media filled with consensus. Unable to ask hard questions in fear that they might insult a future employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

According to the Sunday Business Post
    3. Jeremy Kyle and some Children's Court Programme from the US from 10 to 11:30
    4. Midday starts at 11:30

I wished they would move away from Jeremy Kyle by now. They're not going to have it by January anyway, so they should be trialling a few new chat shows, or trying out something different at this slot. They can burn off any remaining JK episodes on 3e.

Any idea what the court programme is called?

Judge Judy should really be cut down to just one episode a day - it's been nearly 15 years of double episodes every day. Again they should be using these slots to try out new shows (imported or not), and so JJ at 4:30 and a new show at 5 makes sense to me.

Midday's name should be changed - something along the lines of The Irish View (similar to America's The View). I'd put that on a 1pm, and then move Late Lunch Live off to maybe a 6:30pm slot, changing the name again slightly. And when Emmerdale leaves - extending it outwards for half an hour to 7:30pm.

You do wonder are they testing the waters for a full frontal <DELETED> to the BAI next year when UTVIRL starts to erode their share and you see teleshopping ads in primetime instead of the brand names. The soap will by all accounts be made on a shoestring and will probably end up been cancelled after a year or so if it survives that long. Its a pity really noone likes to see any job losses but UTV seem to be prepared to blow them out of the water by actually working with 2rn and paying the tranmission fees etc whereas TV3 seem content to moan and whinge instead of being proactive.

The 2015 upfronts as tv3 called them looked like a desperate attempt to say to advertisers we have great programmes dont desert us to that foreign station UTV, where we know you will get the biggest audience of the night for Corrie and emmerdale.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Any idea what the court programme is called?

I think it is Family Court With Judge Penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think it is Family Court With Judge Penny.

Ugh :( - a show which ended 5 years ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It's not, it's Paternity Court with Lauren Lake. Not that one show making a mockery of the justice system is any better than another, mind you.

channelsurfer2 mind the language please. Next time I see an attempt to circumvent the language filter a ban will be handed out

The soap will by all accounts be made on a shoestring and will probably end up been cancelled after a year or so if it survives that long. Its a pity really noone likes to see any job losses but UTV seem to be prepared to blow them out of the water by actually working with 2rn and paying the tranmission fees etc whereas TV3 seem content to moan and whinge instead of being proactive.

The 2015 upfronts as tv3 called them looked like a desperate attempt to say to advertisers we have great programmes dont desert us to that foreign station UTV, where we know you will get the biggest audience of the night for Corrie and emmerdale.

The Soap is a bizarre project to start at this stage. They were certain that ITV would sell them Emmerdale and Coronation street at a reduced rate, They never saw UTV coming in and buying the rights. They should have started their own soap years ago while they had the ratings of the UK soaps to support it.

Soaps of this sort take time to settle down (as even TV3 people have said) It could be 18 months before you get the figures you want and that's if everything goes right. A lot of the time soaps fail even if they're half decent.
    I would think the soap will get 3 to 6 months and then be pulled (unless audiences stick with it) Blame will then fall on RTE and UTV because they were showing programmes at the same time.

The GAA decision now also makes a lot of sense. It does appear that if TV3 had made a normal offer that the GAA would have stuck with it and not gone to sky (also assuming that they'd go HD of course) However TV3 never wanted it. It would have meant hiring staff on Saturday and Sundays and Making a championship type show during the week.

Now the station can shut down on Friday evenings and basically run automatically until Monday Morning with no Human interaction needed.
    Same as having a PVR in your living room, except it's mostly filled with shows that have been on 50 times before.

Now the station can shut down on Friday evenings and basically run automatically until Monday Morning with no Human interaction needed.
    Same as having a PVR in your living room, except it's mostly filled with shows that have been on 50 times before.

You've not seen my PVR :pac:

If TV3 plan to axe the soap you will see multiple episodes at some stage across the week.

I imagine it will be filmed like Ros Na Run, which I believe is filmed over 3 - 4 months in the summer.

You've not seen my PVR :pac:

If TV3 plan to axe the soap you will see multiple episodes at some stage across the week.

I imagine it will be filmed like Ros Na Run, which I believe is filmed over 3 - 4 months in the summer.

You're probably right. However Ros na Run only film 70 eps a year. TV3's offering is supposed to be a year round show. Having said all that, until the show actually goes out I wouldn't be too sure that it will actually happen. It does appear to be an effort of fattening the calf before a sale. They have the HD studio, they have the rugby rights and the new soap is ready to go. Loads of co-productions. Problem here is that there are other broadcasters trying to come up with new formats. It's not an easy Market to break.

The one show that they have sold abroad is the Keith Barry vehicle. To be fair to him he's made a name for himself in other parts of the world. I think the show is sold in spite of being a TV3 show. Having said that it's a bargain bucket show that will air outside of primetime in most markets. There's nothing wrong with that and it's a good way to generate income. However if you were to read TV3 press releases it's only a matter of time before it wins a Emmy.

You might see projects being put back if no buyer shows up over the next few months. The Rugby rights are likely to be sold to someone else next year if no one buys the station. News won't disappear entirely but they'll probably introduce a rip and read service, purchased off of Newstalk or even RTE.

In reality it's hard to know exactly what they're up to. It's a station that's totally without direction at this stage. I can see how they're selling ads because of their ITV shows, but when they go next year, it could be a matter of weeks before they pull the plug. The crazy thing is that if they made an effort they could actually survive and prosper.

I'd say the producers will film all 104 episodes from October. The budget is not huge but if fits both Ros Na Run and Fair City's budgets, though both have an outdoor set and indoor sets.

If they start in October and continue filming until Mid-December they will have produced 25 hours at a rate of 2.5hours per week or 50 episodes. This would be a normal schedule for a soap opera.

They could have NewsTalk produce their news, get rid of their newsroom entirely.

Just looking at next Saturday Night on TV3,

Between 5.30 and Midnight there's only one New programme on. It's nearly all repeats of ITV shows. With the Champions league on RTE and UTV I would assume the Market was open for something Different on TV3.
    Instead they show a repeat of Britain's Got More Talent: Most Amazing Moments and the Cube followed by Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason which is now 10 years old! The only New show on is Graham Norton at 11.10 and that was on BBC 1 the previous Night.

What gets me is that this is a commercial enterprise. I can't see any of this encouraging an agency to advertise with the station. If you take into account how much has been written off in loans TV3 has lost about 10 million a year every year since it started up. Looking at this schedule no one could be surprised.

[

channelsurfer2 mind the language please. Next time I see an attempt to circumvent the language filter a ban will be handed out[/QUOTE]

ohhh apologies. I didnt realise. I had genuinely thought i could put in it in with the first and last letters(on very rare occasions i add) as I have done in other forums without being told off for foul language. It will not happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Just looking at next Saturday Night on TV3,

Between 5.30 and Midnight there's only one New programme on. It's nearly all repeats of ITV shows. With the Champions league on RTE and UTV I would assume the Market was open for something Different on TV3.
    Instead they show a repeat of Britain's Got More Talent: Most Amazing Moments and the Cube followed by Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason which is now 10 years old! The only New show on is Graham Norton at 11.10 and that was on BBC 1 the previous Night.

What gets me is that this is a commercial enterprise. I can't see any of this encouraging an agency to advertise with the station. If you take into account how much has been written off in loans TV3 has lost about 10 million a year every year since it started up. Looking at this schedule no one could be surprised.

TV3's CEO is ex eircom

TV3 should go bust in 2015 and then UTV will pick up the rights like films rights

Advertisement