Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

hard to see two channels surviving to be honest despite what tv3 say about rebranding 3E. It will all come down to advertising revenue as iseegirls says in the end and whether there is enough there to support 2 channels as well as UTV ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

hard to see two channels surviving to be honest despite what tv3 say about rebranding 3E. It will all come down to advertising revenue as iseegirls says in the end and whether there is enough there to support 2 channels as well as UTV ireland.

It seems to me they are removing all Original Irish programming from 3e so its not unlikely that such a channel should not be able to make a profit.

The question is can TV3 attract an audience to TV3 programming without the soaps. Much of what they are planning should have been done while they had the soaps over the last 14, rarely did TV3 make any effort to use the ITV soaps to really strongly promote their own shows. The Lie and Crossfire are possibly two of the few exceptions to that rule.

TV3 should be wary of over relying on studio based programming. Really they should consider reducing their Daytime studio based lifestyle programming, repace it with News and Current Affairs and any savings push into Prime Time non-studio based programmes (with the exception of quiz and talent shows).

Otherwise TV3 begins to look more and more like a news and information channel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Whatever happened to the new soap they were going to make? Is it still there, and will it get BAI S&V finacial support?

If 3E leaves Saorview, they could save a few bob.

Whatever happened to the new soap they were going to make? Is it still there, and will it get BAI S&V finacial support?

The soap is still going ahead starts filming shortly. No s&v support afaik.

If 3e leaves Saorview it would see a drop in audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If it leaves saorview nobody would view it. If you notice both sky and upc appear to now issue subscription figures based on total services used. So if you get tv,broadband and telephone off them that seems to count as 3 subscribers. That would suggest that the market for paid tv is dropping.

Tv3 would be better off fighting fire with fire and launch tv3ni to compete with utv.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Tv3 would be better off fighting fire with fire and launch tv3ni to compete with utv.

Nooooo! You cannot inflict more pain on our northern bretheren.

Elmo wrote: »

Is the soap owned by TV3 or is it a joint venture or owned by a production company? If TV3 goes bust, is that the end of soap as we know it?

Is the soap owned by TV3 or is it a joint venture or owned by a production company? If TV3 goes bust, is that the end of soap as we know it?

I would think that if tv3 goes the soap goes.

It will be funded in part by section 481, I assume tv3 then only own part of the programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

If the soap gets off the ground and TV3 were to fail it's quite possible that the soap would continue depending on how things are set up. However production is supposed to start this summer and there's very little information about the project anywhere. Now this is normal when it comes to TV, projects are regularly held up for months for small things. However I won't believe it's happening until I see an actual episode on TV3.

TV3 seem to be commissioning the Soap but it does appear it's one of those situations where they'll only be putting in a third of the money. So if other shareholders were willing to continue...

They're hoping to sell it to the UK market, it's unlikely they'd make it otherwise. Channel 5 would be one possible buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

TV3/Element Pictures will be looking for BAI support for Red Rock.

• Advertisement

TV3/Element Pictures will be looking for BAI support for Red Rock.

They will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mondo 088

Any chance tv3 could poach Home & away ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Mondo 088 wrote:
    Any chance tv3 could poach Home & away ?

Don't think it would help as far as I know its views are dropping as people are watching them as they are released in other countries online before they're aired in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

ftakeith wrote: »

Pity about the picture quality, it was atrocious compared to BT Sports.

Unfortunately for TV3 there are very few big events that it can afford to pull the big audience figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Was First Blood shown? I thought Cliffhanger was going to be show after it?

Great news - and hopefully it will give TV3/3e the courage to pick up some more free to air rights - if they are available.

Okay, They did something right, they managed to get an young audience watching on Saturday which the vast majority was male. So Next Saturday they're going to build on that with...

6.00 4 eps of Bondi Rescue (probably Repeats)
    8.00 Two eps of The Big Bang Theory from the rarely shown season four!
    9.00 Graham Norton Show (only shown 5 or 6 times already)
    10.00 The Magaluf Weekender
    11.00 A Girl's Guide to 21st Century Sex (Repeat)
    11.45 Ireland's Vice Girls (repeat)

So you do one decent day which you market for weeks and weeks. Then any gained ground is thrown away the following Saturday. It's doubtful they broke even on the rights and the advertising. I don't blame their P.R. Department, they'll always mention the 2 or 3 good days 3e will have a year, they'll never mention the other 362.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Yep I was thinking the exact same. To say in the press release that it was strong schedule, so I guess this Saturdays schedule is weak then. The movies obviously did well - so they could introduce more of them to their evening schedule.

But they're in a habit of repeating the same movie 2 or 3 days later now on 3e. I don't understand such a move. Isn't it better to show a repeat of a movie at least 9 or so months after the original airing like other channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

While watching the event some people commented that they never bother to watch 3e and had no idea that they showed programming like on Saturday so I agree 100% that TV3 gained new viewers but will lose them again with the future schedules.

lertsnim wrote: »
    While watching the event some people commented that they never bother to watch 3e and had no idea that they showed programming like on Saturday so I agree 100% that TV3 gained new viewers but will lose them again with the future schedules.

As far as I can work out that was UFC fight night 46, fight night 47 will be on August 16 in Maine. Will 3e be showing this? I somehow doubt it. Other broadcasters may also have the rights to Ireland for this.

So they had a one off event with Irish interest (anything with Irish interest will tend to do well) but no way of keeping those viewers. Had TV3 spent the last 10 years building up it's own shows while it had the cushion of the soaps this wouldn't now be a problem. They're throwing money at events that give figures a boost but generally almost no one is watching.

2015 is going to be very interesting, it's unlikely outside of Britain's Got Talent that TV3 will have viewing figures over 100,000 most of the time but the odd one off event will show 300,000 and 400,000 watching. However, Advertisers aren't silly. They'll only spend when the viewers are actually watching. Remember TV3 hasn't ever made real profits when you take into account the amount that has been written off over the last 15 years. So how are they going to make them now with UTV about to pounce?

• Advertisement

ftakeith wrote: »

PR is similar to RTÉ TWO best ever WC viewing figures.

Both channels loose audience because they don't promote themselves on big occasions.

The following Saturday on 3e could have been made up with the First Xmen at a later time (scheduled for afternoon, a repeat of their Friday schedule) followed by the Defendor, which airs the same night after midnight on TV3.

PR is similar to RTÉ TWO best ever WC viewing figures.

Both channels loose audience because they don't promote themselves on big occasions.

The following Saturday on 3e could have been made up with the First Xmen at a later time (scheduled for afternoon, a repeat of their Friday schedule) followed by the Defendor, which airs the same night after midnight on TV3.

To be fair RTE 2 had 31 days in a row to crow about... 3e had one. Plus if you add in all the other big sporting days RTE 2 matches and beats 3e Saturday Figures probably 80 days a year. In fact RTE 2 is still the most watched station in Ireland probably close to every 2 days in 7 (average of course and we are talking Sports). We have to remember that they were the best ever 3e figures...ever. Those figure won't be seen again until maybe the Europa cup final and I'm going very easy on 3e.

RTE 2 has been mismanaged greatly over the last 5 or so years. However when you compare it to the TV3 group it actually doesn't look too bad. If there had been a proper commercial broadcaster in place (and if the BAI had played hardball) RTE 2 would have had to change it's ways years ago.

I love the way they claim it's the highest rated sporting event ever. It doesn't look as good if it was it's highest rated show ever.

To be fair RTE 2 had 31 days in a row to crow about... 3e had one. Plus if you add in all the other big sporting days RTE 2 matches and beats 3e Saturday Figures probably 80 days a year. In fact RTE 2 is still the most watched station in Ireland probably close to every 2 days in 7 (average of course and we are talking Sports). We have to remember that they were the best ever 3e figures...ever. Those figure won't be seen again until maybe the Europa cup final and I'm going very easy on 3e.

RTE 2 has been mismanaged greatly over the last 5 or so years. However when you compare it to the TV3 group it actually doesn't look too bad. If there had been a proper commercial broadcaster in place (and if the BAI had played hardball) RTE 2 would have had to change it's ways years ago.

I love the way they claim it's the highest rated sporting event ever. It doesn't look as good if it was it's highest rated show ever.

True and I am sure TV3 won't realise their figures for those 31days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

iseegirls wrote: »
    Was First Blood shown? I thought Cliffhanger was going to be show after it?

Great news - and hopefully it will give TV3/3e the courage to pick up some more free to air rights - if they are available.

Given BT Sport are the UFC rights holders for Ireland I'm surprised Setanta didn't call foul over that one, but there's probably not much they could have done anyway and the promotion probably felt it needed the exposure.

As far as I can work out that was UFC fight night 46, fight night 47 will be on August 16 in Maine. Will 3e be showing this? I somehow doubt it. Other broadcasters may also have the rights to Ireland for this.

It was a one off deal for TV3 and I imagine FTA rights for the next UFC event in Dublin will also be offered. Much like how Channel 5 will show any UK events live.

BT Sport show most of the UFC events live. Notable exception being the ones in south east Asia which were shown on delay.

It was a one off deal for TV3 and I imagine FTA rights for the next UFC event in Dublin will also be offered. Much like how Channel 5 will show any UK events live.

BT Sport show most of the UFC events live. Notable exception being the ones in south east Asia which were shown on delay.

That's really my point. It was a one off deal for TV3. Depending on how much they paid for it and all the free publicity they gave the event you'd have to wonder did they have any plans for the next step. The UFC might not run an event in Dublin again for another few years.

With UFC fightpass we will be seeing a massive increase in the number of European events. I wouldnt be surprised if they were back within 2 years.

With UFC fightpass we will be seeing a massive increase in the number of European events. I wouldnt be surprised if they were back within 2 years.

Unfortunately 3e probably won't be around by then. (or not as we know it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Given the Republic's small population and the plethora of TV news channels and websites, TV3's provision of news at weekends was never going to be successful. Therefore, it's not surprising that TV3 has no news coverage on weekends and bank holidays anymore. UTV Ireland probably will have better luck with weekend news because it will draw on its resources in NI and its radio stations in the Republic and possibly ITN for world news.

• Advertisement

endakenny wrote: »
    Given the Republic's small population and the plethora of TV news channels and websites, TV3's provision of news at weekends was never going to be successful. Therefore, it's not surprising that TV3 has no news coverage on weekends and bank holidays anymore. UTV Ireland probably will have better luck with weekend news because it will draw on its resources in NI and its radio stations in the Republic and possibly ITN for world news.

Nothing to do with it, TV3 just didn't want to have to deal with News at the Weekend. No newsroom keeps a full set of reporters during the weekend.

Of course when a majorly private news story reaches TV3 on a Saturday Bank Holiday they happily pretend that they always provide a 30 minute news on Bank Holidays and Weekends.

Advertisement