Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is also no on thread criticism of moderation. PM me or take it to the Admins if you have difficulties. Any reply to this post must be via PM - if it is done on thread I will have to close the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just happened to walk in on the mother watching TV3 and some cooking show is on ... You really would have to wonder do TV3 care about on screen presentation. Peoples names that come up on screen are on a regular basis behind the "3 all new" DOG - very amateur stuff and it's a homegrown show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Same has happened on RTE News. Their new logo interferes with the names of contributors.

That RTE News logo needs moving left, out of the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://www.tv3.ie/pr_sub.php?type=1&view_pr=541

just another pointless quiz show on tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ftakeith wrote: »

At least they are producing programming and giving Quiz show ago. Though their press releases are becoming more and more pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As long as it's not a cheap rip of BBC's Pointless quiz-show, I'm happy.

God, imagine Dowling replacing Alexander Armstrong, and maybe Martin King as Richard Osman.... WHY, KEITH, WHY!! Horrid thoughts!

When you have friends in the Sindo who needs enemies.

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/the-fight-is-on-as-3e-secures-ringside-rights-for-ufc-bout-30336636.html

- close to inking a deal to show the Dublin fight between Ultimate Fighting Championship's dapper Irish superstar Conor McGregor and Brazilian Diego Brandao, which is set for July.
    -high-profile rights deal hoovered up by the Ballymount-based TV group as it continues its scorched-earth policy before the arrival of UTV
    -rights to the Europa League
    - TV3 is spending up to €20m buying up rights for high-profile shows and sporting events as well as commissioning a swathe of home-produced content
    - The station had its best-ever ratings last month
    - 3e had a 2.07 per cent Adult 15+ share compared to 3.40 per cent for UTV
    - 2.18 per cent share and UTV dipping to 3.29 percent last month.

Or

TV3 plan to spend the money the save on the loss of Coro St and Emmerdale with €20m worth of imports. They will have one more season of UEFA Champions and Europa League. 3e's audience share has stagnated since 2011 at around 2% audience share as has UTV's at around 3%, though UTV isn't as widely available as 3e which is available across all platforms including Saorview and Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Yes. that particular journalist seems to write nothing but positive(aka press releases) reviews for tv3 and the last utv piece he wrote was a very negative piece about TVC shareholders revolting on the pay of one of the UTV board members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yes. that particular journalist seems to write nothing but positive(aka press releases) reviews for tv3 and the last utv piece he wrote was a very negative piece about TVC shareholders revolting on the pay of one of the UTV board members.

Also it's the second report on TV3 that you can't comment on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 plan to spend the money the save on the loss of Coro St and Emmerdale with €20m worth of imports. They will have one more season of UEFA Champions and Europa League. 3e's audience share has stagnated since 2011 at around 2% audience share as has UTV's at around 3%, though UTV isn't as widely available as 3e which is available across all platforms including Saorview and Sky.

When you have percentages that low, a small rise or fall could actually come down to one or two extra people having 3e on or off. It's very hard to get accurate figures when you're that low down.

The more I read these PR releases (and that's what they are) The more I think they're looking for a buyer, any buyer. It'll be interesting to see what happens 3 to 6 months after UTV Ireland takes to the air. You could see TV3 closing with very short notice if it looks like too much investment is needed to compete.

The more I read these PR releases (and that's what they are) The more I think they're looking for a buyer, any buyer. It'll be interesting to see what happens 3 to 6 months after UTV Ireland takes to the air. You could see TV3 closing with very short notice if it looks like too much investment is needed to compete.

Though IMO what it has shown is the clear fact that all broadcasters are afraid of change and Irish broadcaster have been unable to change for their ownsake.

Irish TV view is down from 55% in 2006 to less than 45% in 2013. (Excluding UTV).

TV3 need someone with an ounce of balls to tell them that what they will have in 2015 is **** and they need to develop their schedule before the **** hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This post has been deleted.

Maybe Denis O'Brien has his eye on it, he doesn't own a TV channel here yet.

Though IMO what it has shown is the clear fact that all broadcasters are afraid of change and Irish broadcaster have been unable to change for their ownsake.

Irish TV view is down from 55% in 2006 to less than 45% in 2013. (Excluding UTV).

TV3 need someone with an ounce of balls to tell them that what they will have in 2015 is **** and they need to develop their schedule before the **** hits the fan.

I don't think all broadcasters are afraid of change. There are some outside of these Islands that have totally changed formats and turned stations around. In fact even RTE did it over 20 years ago with some success. Until RTE 2 changed to Network Two it was going nowhere with low viewing figures (for that time) Moving Kids programmes and Sports to the station gave it a huge boost and it was very successful during the 90's.

IMO TV3 need to ditch their current format entirely. There are too many going after the same market, which appears to be women 25-54. They're number one in that market at the moment because of the soaps and the soaps alone. Once they move over to UTV. They'll automatically be third and be in real danger of falling further and further behind. I know few men that watch TV3 willingly not counting Vincent Browne.

TV3 can be turned around but I'd be avoiding fans around this time next year if I was anywhere near the station.

The Cush wrote: »
    Maybe Denis O'Brien has his eye on it, he doesn't own a TV channel here yet.

I can't see it, he only re-financed topaz, BAI got him to sell FM104 and Highland radio when he took over Emap radio stations. He would have to see that someone could turn TV3 around or that they could.

EoS between NewsTalk and TV3 would be worthwhile but what does DoB get rid of? Well radio stations for a debt ridden TV channel?

I can't see it, he only re-financed topaz, BAI got him to sell FM104 and Highland radio when he took over Emap radio stations. He would have to see unless someone knew to turn TV3 around that they could.

EoS between NewsTalk and TV3 would be worthwhile but what does DoB get rid of? Well radio stations for a debt ridden TV channel?

I'd agree with this. His stations are a success, (even if some of them don't make a profit) On no level has TV3 been successful. However, if the station needed a white Knight and He offered to help could you actually see The BAI blocking the way? (Obviously other competitors in the market would complain and probably stop the purchase)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

He cannot have TV3 AND the Indo. One has to be let go, and he has lost too much on the Indo to want to lose even more on TV3. Nor would he want to write off his losses on the Indo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He wasn't forced to sell Highland, he sold it as he never wanted it. Competition Authority ruling was that he had to sell 104 and that he was forbidden from running an competing agency radio sales house as the volume of stations he has would de-stabilise the existing two at the time (IRS and BMS). As it stands now, I believe they don't use IRS anymore anyway - their handle their own or use Mediacentral for the locals. TodayFM was the prize for buying EMAP Ireland with 104 a second if he was allowed keep it.

He cannot have TV3 AND the Indo. One has to be let go, and he has lost too much on the Indo to want to lose even more on TV3. Nor would he want to write off his losses on the Indo.

Plus the Indo has a much better chance of survival that TV3.

I personally could not see one person being allowed own the only two national terrestrial free to air commercial television stations, in addition to the only two national commercial radio stations (even though the law specifically only allows one to exist!), the biggest selling national daily and Sunday newspapers, the only national evening newspaper, and a significant stake in the biggest morning free sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

One thing I will say in TV3's defence - it's got some of the hottest pieces of ass on TV

we might leave that type of talk in After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

One thing I will say in TV3's defence - it's got some of the hottest pieces of ass on TV

If you can chip your way through the mask of make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Banjoxed wrote: »

Colette Fitzpatrick and Anna Daly ain't caked in make-up - you referring to the Xpose presenters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Banjoxed wrote: »

Are you sure that's not digital artefacts as a result of their PQ?

He could be but that article has probably less authority that posters on boards. Do we really belilive classic lines like, "it is said" or "One TV3 Source said" That article seems to be short on facts. In other words a typical Indo piece.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

no worries about Rabbitt making any decision then as by the time its concluded there will be a reshuffle of Minisiters.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, yesterday's Business Post reports that 3e will be getting a new on air look towards the end of the year.

Advertisement