Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ah jesus, I'm so sorry to hear that farmerstatia. Is there any way you could present to your nearest maternity hospital and see will they scan you there? I bled very early on my son, and I went in to the A&E bit of the maternity hospital and they were able to scan there.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Farmerstatia

Hi toots.
    Ah I'm booked in for the 20 to scan they said it way too early to scan they wouldn't see a thing at all..
    I have bad cramping and bleeding so I'm just going to go with a chemical preg that's what it's called I think ..
    We were so excited we genuially got a big positive but these things happen..
    Just got to solider on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hi toots.
    Ah I'm booked in for the 20 to scan they said it way too early to scan they wouldn't see a thing at all..
    I have bad cramping and bleeding so I'm just going to go with a chemical preg that's what it's called I think ..
    We were so excited we genuially got a big positive but these things happen..
    Just got to solider on

This is a windy road, full of potholes. There will be bumps along the way but you're not alone in what you are feeling now

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Hi toots. Ah I'm booked in for the 20 to scan they said it way too early to scan they wouldn't see a thing at all.. I have bad cramping and bleeding so I'm just going to go with a chemical preg that's what it's called I think .. We were so excited we genuially got a big positive but these things happen.. Just got to solider on

Very sorry to hear this.
    All I can say is that my sister bled early and for a long period during all 4 of her pregnancies and had 4 healthy babies.
    Fingers crossed for you x

Dont know if any of you follow sandra greenbank nutrition on instagram but she is having a free fertility masterclass tomorrow at 8pm.
    Go to her page to find the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 squigglyd

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Dont know if any of you follow sandra greenbank nutrition on instagram but she is having a free fertility masterclass tomorrow at 8pm.
    Go to her page to find the details.

Started following her after I read this although I missed the free class. Was it helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Premem

Hi all, newbie to this so a little nervous. Was always a 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14. Since having my little boy 4 years ago and being on several different contraceptives my cycle has massively changed. We are 8 months trying to conceive on our second, really frustrated and confused. My cycle can be anything from 24-30 days mostly in around the 26, I know I am ovulating in last few months as have been getting positives. This month I started using the clearblue opks as advised, did the deed on day 10 night time (had negative opk) and got positive opk following morning, did the deed again on day 12 morning (we fell asleep night before) was sure we had it this time, cycle day 23 now and I am having major period symptoms. Have had acupuncture over last few months and feel it helped with ovulation and regulating things but was just too expensive to keep up. Since having the acupuncture I feel like my cycle has changed as if it triggered something in me, I have been getting quite severe pain in pelvic area and top of legs for 4/5 days before af due and all through period. Major nausea also. Worried it may be endometriosis or pcos, terrified to go to the doc although have an appointment made for next week, any advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SMPM

Hi, I’m not sure if I’m writing into the correct group. I can’t seem to locate an active thread for my query. I went for a fertility check recently(AMH levels) and got the results. I’m 32, results were 10.9. I’m getting married Xmas 2020 and we weren’t planning on trying for a baby until then. Can anyone offer advice on whether my results are concerning. I understand they are low but not sure just how low. I’d put off the wedding to try and conceive if I knew it was a risky idea to wait ... thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tinkerbell 03

Hi Gals, hope ye are all well xxx

I am back! Happier and stronger after years of trying to concieve...with ex husband who couldn't have children, blamed me and left!

I have finally decided Anyways to try donor sperm IUI. I went to a clinic, really nice consultant, went away and picked donor, just got message backing saying donor is available with MOT17 or MOT18 not the standard rate of MOT20 of the sperm bank but it meets the standard of their clinic, what did ye reckon? Any help much appreciated...

Tinker bell xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Hi All,

First time poster but have been reading the various posts for a while. Just sharing our journey for anyone going through similar.
    I came off the pill about 15 months ago & I would say we've been 'actively' trying since Jan of this year. I'm 36 & have had my bloods done which confirm I'm ovulating, which is good. GP suggests a sperm sample for my partner as the next step, which he was surprised at as he has a son already - but that was over 10 years ago & he's 42 now so GP says it's possible he could have issues. Had a chat with him at the weekend & we've agreed to get that booked within the next cycle.
    Spotted a few posters here have had success using Preseed, I've ordered it online with Boots & am ready to try it out this cycle.
    Last week was a tough one, one of my best friends had her 3rd baby & I got my period at the same time - felt really guilty for feeling so sad about it, managed to put a smile on my face when seeing her but did burst into tears in the car a few times.
    Have spent the past year or so in a job I'm not enjoying just in case I get pregnant which definitely hasn't helped the stress levels, so have decided to start looking for something new now & hold back on any fertility treatment until 2020 to hopefully be a few months in a new job by then - still trying naturally so if it happens then we'll figure out the logistics & in the meantime start saving up for fertility treatment as it looks bloody expensive!
    Saw comments from other posters about not being able to plan holidays etc when TTC which definitely rang a bell - although my sister was 6 years TTC before she has twins via IVF & she's recommended to try not to do that, as you'll go mad & miss out on well earned holidays & early booking discounts!
    That's my rambling for today - hope everyone is having a good Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

Hi Gals, hope ye are all well xxx

I am back! Happier and stronger after years of trying to concieve...with ex husband who couldn't have children, blamed me and left!

I have finally decided Anyways to try donor sperm IUI. I went to a clinic, really nice consultant, went away and picked donor, just got message backing saying donor is available with MOT17 or MOT18 not the standard rate of MOT20 of the sperm bank but it meets the standard of their clinic, what did ye reckon? Any help much appreciated...

Tinker bell xxx

Hi,

Have been following this thread for over 7 years now and still no luck but wanted to wish you all the very best. You sound excited on your new journey ! X

SMPM wrote:
    Hi, I’m not sure if I’m writing into the correct group. I can’t seem to locate an active thread for my query. I went for a fertility check recently(AMH levels) and got the results. I’m 32, results were 10.9. I’m getting married Xmas 2020 and we weren’t planning on trying for a baby until then. Can anyone offer advice on whether my results are concerning. I understand they are low but not sure just how low. I’d put off the wedding to try and conceive if I knew it was a risky idea to wait ... thanks in advance.

Experts are now saying AMH is no longer a good indicator of fertility.
    32 is still young as long as your cycle is regular.
    Download a period tracker app, start tracking your cycle, start testing with ovulation strip's to see if and when you ovulate.
    You will then know when to try after the wedding or if you have any issues ovulating, you will seek help sooner.
    Just don't stress about it too much as that can cause issues too!
    Best of luck.

Premem wrote:
    Worried it may be endometriosis or pcos, terrified to go to the doc although have an appointment made for next week, any advice welcome

Best to find out sooner rather than later if you have either of these issues.
    I know you won't want to hear it, but 8 months is not a long time to be trying unless you're over 35. Even then, you're only 2 months over the recommended time to see your GP.
    No harm getting bloods done by your doctor to get your hormones checked and they can refer you then to a gyne for other investigations for your pain if needed.

Just discovered today that Repromed in Cork only have very limited services - zero consultation & procedures here, you'd have to travel to Kilkenny or Dublin. All they offer in Cork is a monthly sperm analysis service which they charge you for upfront when booking.
    So disappointed as they are the only ones covered by VHI - gonna ring them tomorrow to complain about only offering limited services in Cork. Think I saw something about a SIMS open day in Cork soon so will check that out. My sister had success with them in Dublin so if we need help might try them, just need to start saving now I know my VHI won't cover it.

Denise2007 wrote: »
    Hi,

Have been following this thread for over 7 years now and still no luck but wanted to wish you all the very best. You sound excited on your new journey ! X

Hi Denise,

Thanks so much for your message, it means a lot...started IUI with donor sperm am on my two week wait, it's a long shot 1st time given my age 42! Who knows! I hope you're well and that someday soon you become pregnant xxx

Fingers & toes crossed for you Tinkerbell.
    We tried Preeseed this month & currently in the 2weekwait too but not feeling too optimistic this month, as my ovulation sticks were inconclusive & I think we mixed up our dates slightly, but who knows! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

Tinker Bell and rebel, best of luck.

There's an article on today's Irish independent home page about infertility that is so true to me. It explains how challenging and lonely everything becomes. It won't copy and paste for me. Yvonne Hogan wrote it and I think its really excellent.

Rebel83 wrote: »
    Fingers & toes crossed for you Tinkerbell.
    We tried Preeseed this month & currently in the 2weekwait too but not feeling too optimistic this month, as my ovulation sticks were inconclusive & I think we mixed up our dates slightly, but who knows! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much Rebel...likewise I don't feel too optimistic either, it's hard, emotions are so up and down! Fingers and Toes crossed for you too xxx

Tinker Bell and rebel, best of luck.

There's an article on today's Irish independent home page about infertility that is so true to me. It explains how challenging and lonely everything becomes. It won't copy and paste for me. Yvonne Hogan wrote it and I think its really excellent.

Hi Fingersandtoes, ta for tip, I will check it out...agreed it's such a challenge, emotionally, physically and financially! But what will be will be eh! It is a lonely place, tough doing it solo but it's really what I want so am facing challenge head on! Yikes... All my best to you, thanks for post, it means a lot especially given the only person that knows about my journey is my mammy, she is the best... hope your journey fill with joy, self love, kindness xxx

This month isn't to be our month :-(
    Not as upset this time around as last month - onwards & upwards for next time!

• Advertisement

This month isn't to be our month :-(
    Not as upset this time around as last month - onwards & upwards for next time!

Hopefully next time Rebel xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is it ok to join in? Trying to conceive my second child for over 2 years now. I'm 41 so unfortunately time isn't on my side. Tried 5 rounds of letrozole but no success. Trying a natural fertility programme now!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lorindol31

I never knew trying to have a baby would be so hard. I was naive in thinking it would happen so quickly. When we started trying, I barely knew anything about this TTC world and all the acronyms, the different sticks, holding your pee to take ovulation stick tests, the 2ww, the torture of the 2ww. Googling for minute symptoms, convincing yourself you are pregnant and all that jazz. Driving myself crazy really.

I get so frustrated when it doesn't work out. We've been trying for about 9 months now, which I now know from reading others stories is not a long time at all. The uncertainty of whether to book foreign holidays in advance, not drinking certain times of the month, sex on a schedule, avoiding coffee, taking your temperature first thing in the morning and your folic acid... it just grates on you some times. You play the blame game on yourself when you get your period, was it something i did or didn't do that it didn't work this time? The amount of films/tv shows that have pregnancy related stories in them is baffling, how easily they can get pregnant or the unexpected ones. I've never noticed the number of baby food, nappy ads on telly either until I longed for one of my own.

I've tried acupuncture, but this is expensive to maintain. Who knows if it really works? Worked for a friend of mine who recommended it, she had been trying for >12 months and success after first cycle with it. I was optimistic...

Then I found out after 5 months of trying I was pregnant. the relief of not having to fuss over trying, the stress, the "baby-dancing" on demand... only to start cramping and bleeding 11 days later. It was so cruel, back to square one. Didn't tell my family and it's hard to keep these emotions to yourself. Feel like a broken record saying the same things to my partner all the time. Only so many times and variations of "we'll keep trying" " patience, it'll happen" etc. he can say. I try to be optimistic and say at least I know I can get pregnant...? But the cycles since haven't been successful and it gets frustrating. Trying to pick yourself back up and go again.

I wish I knew what I knew now before I started. Wish I had a better understanding of my cycle, the discharge etc before we started. I think my naivety of getting pregnant was a big factor in this. I've learned so many things about my own reproductive system that I never knew.
    Hearing about others who get pregnant so easily frustrates me, and then I feel guilty. So many emotions. Wish I could just switch off my head sometimes and forget about it.

Not sure what my intention is with this post. I think I just needed to vent. I read up forums with other women and it makes me feel better because I know I'm not alone in these feelings. I feel like it's a lonely situation to be in, because people don't tend to talk about it openly. I'm glad to have areas like this where I can read about women in similar circumstances and describe similar feelings to what I am feeling.

You may not know it, but you've all been very helpful in your own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Lorindol31 wrote: »
    I never knew trying to have a baby would be so hard. I was naive in thinking it would happen so quickly. When we started trying, I barely knew anything about this TTC world and all the acronyms, the different sticks, holding your pee to take ovulation stick tests, the 2ww, the torture of the 2ww. Googling for minute symptoms, convincing yourself you are pregnant and all that jazz. Driving myself crazy really.

I get so frustrated when it doesn't work out. We've been trying for about 9 months now, which I now know from reading others stories is not a long time at all. The uncertainty of whether to book foreign holidays in advance, not drinking certain times of the month, sex on a schedule, avoiding coffee, taking your temperature first thing in the morning and your folic acid... it just grates on you some times. You play the blame game on yourself when you get your period, was it something i did or didn't do that it didn't work this time? The amount of films/tv shows that have pregnancy related stories in them is baffling, how easily they can get pregnant or the unexpected ones. I've never noticed the number of baby food, nappy ads on telly either until I longed for one of my own.

I've tried acupuncture, but this is expensive to maintain. Who knows if it really works? Worked for a friend of mine who recommended it, she had been trying for >12 months and success after first cycle with it. I was optimistic...

Then I found out after 5 months of trying I was pregnant. the relief of not having to fuss over trying, the stress, the "baby-dancing" on demand... only to start cramping and bleeding 11 days later. It was so cruel, back to square one. Didn't tell my family and it's hard to keep these emotions to yourself. Feel like a broken record saying the same things to my partner all the time. Only so many times and variations of "we'll keep trying" " patience, it'll happen" etc. he can say. I try to be optimistic and say at least I know I can get pregnant...? But the cycles since haven't been successful and it gets frustrating. Trying to pick yourself back up and go again.

I wish I knew what I knew now before I started. Wish I had a better understanding of my cycle, the discharge etc before we started. I think my naivety of getting pregnant was a big factor in this. I've learned so many things about my own reproductive system that I never knew.
    Hearing about others who get pregnant so easily frustrates me, and then I feel guilty. So many emotions. Wish I could just switch off my head sometimes and forget about it.

Not sure what my intention is with this post. I think I just needed to vent. I read up forums with other women and it makes me feel better because I know I'm not alone in these feelings. I feel like it's a lonely situation to be in, because people don't tend to talk about it openly. I'm glad to have areas like this where I can read about women in similar circumstances and describe similar feelings to what I am feeling.

You may not know it, but you've all been very helpful in your own way.

Feel your pain Lorindol. By the grace of God something will happen. It only has to work once

Lorindol31 wrote:

Great post Lorindol. Describes what a lot of us are feeling I think. I'm on day 1 of my period this month. That's another unsuccessful year of TTC. And it's hard going.
    Had bloods done this month and it seems there is a hormonal imbalance there. Have an appointment with a gynecologist in January.
    But according to Dr. Google, it looks like peri menopause to me.
    I have a regular cycle and I have positive OPKs so hoping that's not the case.
    I think IVF may be our only choice now, but will it be a success at my age (40) and if I am peri menopausal?
    Anyone here have similar?

I hear you Lorindol! It's sooòo hard, insane thoughts that go through your head on the 2WW! Am I pregnant or not, I feel hot I wonder is that a symptom the list of thoughts go on! My 1st IUI didn't work, was sad after it even though I knew it was a long shot kept thinking I would have beginners luck...going to enjoy December and go for round 2 in 2020...my thoughts and prayers are with you all girls xxx oh to be a mother eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mubre

We are hoping to do a frozen embryo transfer in January but as I have had two miscarriages the clinic have suggested that I take steroids and have intravenous medication. Just wondering if anybody has taken either of these and if you could give me some advice or further information. Thanks.

Mubre wrote: »
    We are hoping to do a frozen embryo transfer in January but as I have had two miscarriages the clinic have suggested that I take steroids and have intravenous medication. Just wondering if anybody has taken either of these and if you could give me some advice or further information. Thanks.

My sister did this after IVF to keep her twins. She had previously had a very short pregnancy after an earlier IVF & I think they identified that she had a hyper immune system, which attacked the embryo as an invader, so the steroids helped & she had a successful pregnancy! Fingers crossed for you.

We got our Christmas wish - positive test on Sunday (& Monday to be sure!). 😀

So excited but also so scared in case something goes wrong as it's so early. It's been 18 months since coming off the pill & a year of "actively" trying.

Christmas can be such a hard time when you're TTC - I hope everyone is doing ok & praying I'll have my little one this time next year ðŸ™

• Advertisement

We got our Christmas wish - positive test on Sunday (& Monday to be sure!). 😀

So excited but also so scared in case something goes wrong as it's so early. It's been 18 months since coming off the pill & a year of "actively" trying.

Christmas can be such a hard time when you're TTC - I hope everyone is doing ok & praying I'll have my little one this time next year ðŸ™

Yipeee Congratulations girl, so happy for you xxx

Advertisement