Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Casey is a bit of poltical clown. It goes to show how easy it is for someone so ignorant to swing a big amount of votes in a short space of time.

Its how Hitler and Trump got into power even though they where/are politicaly inept.

The real issues of this country is how the banks and past governments etc ****ed us over and got away scott free. Travellers are the least of my worries.

We will still be paying USC and PRD if your public service in 20 years time and whos fault is that. That's the real issue thats being ignored by faux outrage at a handfull of travellers who havent moved into a handfull of houses.

Time to wake up Ireland and smell the ****ing
    chesnuts.

Travelers are the least of your worries??

Well for some.

Wrapped up in your little nest sheltered from the burglaries, theft, violence etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Omackeral wrote: »
    The thing is, when you talk proportions you're about to do a disservice to Travellers. 50% of inmates in Castlerea Prison are Travellers or settled Travellers. They make up a very very disproportionate slice of the prison population overvall vs the general population.

The idea that they're feared and distrusted by a lot of people didn't conjure up from nowhere. They've a bad reputation. Why is that?

I've said before on here that I would treat anyone man,woman or child with the utmost respect until they give me a reason not to. That's regardless of colour, creed or faith. In fact, I work with Travellers every day that I clock in to work, for 12 hours a day. I have some fantastic craic with Travellers and some of them are amongst the most funny and good natured fellas I encounter. On a personal level, I enjoy their company tbh. However, it's a jail I work in and they aren't there via special invite.

Not sure where this is coming from? I'm not arguing the point about travellers. I agree with most people here that a huge amount of them are pricks.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about what Peter Casey has to do with any of that except for he went on a rant about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭shady acres

did Jennifer maquire respond to petr casey calling her a liar on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

BBFAN wrote: »
    I look forward to your reply.

It's actually bloody nice to have a decent civilised conversation with someone who you might not see eye to eye with. Thank you.

Travelers are the least of your worries??

Well for some.

Wrapped up in your little nest sheltered from the burglaries, theft, violence etc

You can't get your head around people having larger worries than that?

Like cancer, family strife, making a living, keeping a roof over there heads, dealing with addictions, mental illness. I could go on and on?

If your largest worry in life is travellers I would suggest that you live a sheltered existence.

• Advertisement

I must point out I do agree with this in a sense. A lot of people don't seem to care if you call them knackers and other derogatory names and I absolutely fcuking despise that. I've said as much on here for years. I hate it. There's no need for it.

well said and i would say you are speaking for 99.99% of the posters here when you say that

It's actually bloody nice to have a decent civilised conversation with someone who you might not see eye to eye with. Thank you.

It is pleasant, I've felt torn for weeks over this because of this because I do agree with Casey said but yet I have the feeling he is an unstable person who could go off on one about any other sector of society at any minute so just couldn't condone his behaviour.

He just seems like a loose cannon to me.

For example, you say you voted to repeal the 8th. What if he turned around tomorrow and said abortion was murder. What do you do then? Say "ah yeah but he's right about the travellers".

It's a Trumpesque situation for me. I agree with some of Trumps statement also but that doesn't block me from seeing he's a mental ego maniac.

I would dispute your 98% figure, think you're optimistic there about people's altruistic attitudes. I would argue a quite sizable percentage of people don't care about anyone but themselves.

I'd like to think that the majority of people are decent enough. I hope so anyway. There are a lot of sh*ts in the world too though, you're right.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the protest vote view. Personally I think it's a childish thing to do. I only ever vote for someone I believe in.

I think people literally believed him and that made a difference. For me anyway, I was probably going to abstain (to my shame) as nobody really peaked my interest and I would've been happy and content to ''let'' MDH win. I don't mind him. I like him just fine actually. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when all 5 of the candidates said they'd have no issue with a halting site next to their property. I saw that as just a bare-faced lie on national TV. It rubbed me up the wrong way. Then the media hounding of Peter Casey and Leo Varadkar's comments were the icing on the cake. So for me, it was a protest vote and one that I'm proud to have cast. I'm still totally happy with Mr Higgins as our President though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

mynamejeff wrote: »
    good come back

you sir are a master debater lol

see you in the next thread you try to derail ;)

say hello to the bots for me now :P

THERE WON'T BE A NEXT THREAD THE CAsey campaign is running out of steam
    it's over :)
    Thanks be to jazus
    Casey is total knob
    Sooner he fcuk back to where he from the better

I'd like to think that the majority of people are decent enough. I hope so anyway. There are a lot of sh*ts in the world too though, you're right.

I think people literally believed him and that made a difference. For me anyway, I was probably going to abstain (to my shame) as nobody really peaked my interest and I would've been happy and content to ''let'' MDH win. I don't mind him. I like him just fine actually. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when all 5 of the candidates said they'd have no issue with a halting site next to their property. I saw that as just a bare-faced lie on national TV. It rubbed me up the wrong way. Then the media hounding of Peter Casey and Leo Varadkar's comments were the icing on the cake. So for me, it was a protest vote and one that I'm proud to have cast. I'm still totally happy with Mr Higgins as our President though.

I agree, they all told outright lies, it's maddening at times.

I also thought Miggedly was very arrogant in the campaign in refusing to take part in some debates.

However, I'm the same, happy enough he's the president. At the end of the day it's a ceremonial role and he's a good orator and that's basically what's needed in a president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

did Jennifer maquire respond to petr casey calling her a liar on twitter

Not yet.

Is she an RTE employee or contractor (for tax reasons), how would RTE discipline her if she was talking bollix?

You can't get your head around people having larger worries than that?

Like cancer, family strife, making a living, keeping a roof over there heads, dealing with addictions, mental illness. I could go on and on?

If your largest worry in life is travellers I would suggest that you live a sheltered existence.

So I can’t have an opinion because I don’t have cancer or a drug addiction?????

What are you rambling on about???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Direct Provision is a load of ****e topic anyway. Filled with fraudster asylum seekers who have already been rejected but we haven't the balls to deport them so they exhaust the appeal process. WTF do they want complete open borders even more than we already have?

well said and i would say you are speaking for 99.99% of the posters here when you say that

I honestly wouldn't. There's plenty of people who hate them outright. Just despise them all and have the children written off before they can even crawl. They think they're all good for nothing scrotes. That's just not true. Then you have those labeling all Casey voters as dim unintelligent folks too. There are shades of grey in most aspects of life but some people don't see that or don't want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It is pleasant, I've felt torn for weeks over this because of this because I do agree with Casey said but yet I have the feeling he is an unstable person who could go off on one about any other sector of society at any minute so just couldn't condone his behaviour.

He just seems like a loose cannon to me.

For example, you say you voted to repeal the 8th. What if he turned around tomorrow and said abortion was murder. What do you do then? Say "ah yeah but he's right about the travellers".

It's a Trumpesque situation for me. I agree with some of Trumps statement also but that doesn't block me from seeing he's a mental ego maniac.

The only thing Trump has in common with Casey is that they are both from outside the establishment.

We were never meant to vote for people like this because they are not compromised by the bevy of lobby/interest groups that dilute our democracy, they are like fish out of water, they look and sound awful because, like I mentioned they are not of the world of politics or media.

Media then go for the jugular and keep on message, but when a State and its media are so compromised, so out of step with ordinary people (who's views/concerns are not being mentioned/addressed by either media or politicians) then people like Casey or Trump step into to vacuum.

The US has had, since 1988, Bush Senior, Clinton A for two terms, Bush Junior for 8 years, Obama for 8 years (who was fairly useless for the most part as polished as he was) and were looking at Clinton B for 4/8 years....you can imagine how compromised the Clintons must be at this stage.

Trump has never been elected, therefore not beholden to the lobbyists, which is what makes him dangerous.

Casey is a much more benign version, we don't know a whole lot to date it is happened so quick.

Middle class Ireland is clearly not as content as our media like to think, I just hope that the politicians take heed of the warning shot that was sent last week...nothing yet as happened to suggest they have, that is what is worrying!

No she got what she wanted. A real nasty piece of work that one. Again our taxes pay her wages. And she attacked him earlier in the show too. You can tell she is a stuck up bitch in love with herself. Standard at RTE.

She's the new Twink...who we still havent seen the last of!

M

Direct Provision is a load of ****e topic anyway. Filled with fraudster asylum seekers who have already been rejected but we haven't the balls to deport them so they exhaust the appeal process. WTF do they want complete open borders even more than we already have?

Exactly, people stuck in a system for years because they appealed it over and over again when they were told they were basically economic migrants who somehow made it to Ireland when there wasn't a single direct flight from their homeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The only thing Trump has in common with Casey is that they are both from outside the establishment.

We were never meant to vote for people like this because they are not compromised by the bevy of lobby/interest groups that dilute our democracy, they are like fish out of water, they look and sound awful because, like I mentioned they are not of the world of politics or media.

Media then go for the jugular and keep on message, but when a State and its media are so compromised, so out of step with ordinary people (who's views/concerns are not being mentioned/addressed by either media or politicians) then people like Casey or Trump step into to vacuum.

The US has had, since 1988, Bush Senior, Clinton A for two terms, Bush Junior for 8 years, Obama for 8 years (who was fairly useless for the most part as polished as he was) and were looking at Clinton B for 4/8 years....you can imagine how compromised the Clintons must be at this stage.

Trump has never been elected, therefore not beholden to the lobbyists, which is what makes him dangerous.

Casey is a much more benign version, we don't know a whole lot to date it is happened so quick.

Middle class Ireland is clearly not as content as our media like to think, I just hope that the politicians take heed of the warning shot that was sent last week...nothing yet as happened to suggest they have, that is what is worrying!

You are talking about 23% of those who bothered to vote, which is probably around 10% of the electorate.

A sense of perspective required here.

I'd imagine Leo etc are delighted that Tubs is taking the ire of that 10% at the minute. :rolleyes:

I honestly wouldn't. There's plenty of people who hate them outright. Just despise them all and have the children written off before they can even crawl. They think they're all good for nothing scrotes. That's just not true. Then you have those labeling all Casey voters as dim unintelligent folks too. There are shades of grey in most aspects of life but some people don't see that or don't want to see it.
    i don't know
    but if there is going to be another casey thread some ground rules would be good,
    no generalisation, no false accusations etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

It doesn't happen in all cases and was already covered when I ACCEPTED what he said and replied 'that is the fault of those who adminster the law'. The law is there for everyone. There are no special laws for travellers governing this.

You are so wrong and so unable to accept you are. A true Caseyite. :rolleyes:

and i posted the relevant law for you .

listen will you do me a favour and check on eotr please

im worried , his water bowl might need changing

• Advertisement

Well I believe he has a right to a personal opinion just like anybody else does but anybody campaigning for that wouldn't curry favour with me.

As far as what I'd do, well there's nothing I could do as the votes are cast and tallied ha!

mynamejeff wrote: »
    and i posted the relevant law for you .

listen will you do me a favour and check on eotr please

im worried , his water bowl might need changing

You have already displayed an alarming trait of manipulating the truth. Done with you on the subject. The poster had the cahonas to admit they were wrong about the legislation when I posted the correct Act governing the issue and that they were wrong to say that travellers got special treatment in law. You clearly don't have the same integrity.

Just keep digging and trying to troll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Exactly, people stuck in a system for years because they appealed it over and over again when they were told they were basically economic migrants who somehow made it to Ireland when there wasn't a single direct flight from their homeland.
    Exactly the vast majority of them are economic migrants and chancers bluffing their way to a free house paid for by the Irish taxpayer.

i don't know
    but if there is going to be another casey thread some ground rules would be good,
    no generalisation, no false accusations etc

If their arguments and accusations are weak, a well reasoned debater will expose them.

You are talking about 23% of those who bothered to vote, which is probably around 10% of the electorate.

A sense of perspective required here.

I'd imagine Leo etc are delighted that Tubs is taking the ire of that 10% at the minute. :rolleyes:

Francie, I know 23% in a presidential election is not a fantastic result, but how it was achieved and how quick his vote accumulated is the interesting element.

We have no idea how he transfered, which is a shame, as it would have really painted a more complete picture.

So, if the majority of MDHs transferred in huge numbers to PC, how interesting would that be...ignoring this anti establishment vote is not healthy, if nothing changes then what will come our way next time!

Jennifer McGuire hasn’t tweeted since that accusation.

Seems she’s been put back in her box in her little sheltered d4 hideout.

just checking back to the first page of the thread
    op is banned, this was the 5th post with 100 likes
    Bob Harris wrote: »
    Never heard of Peter Casey. In a week or two I never will again.

that post didn't age well :p

Francie, I know 23% in a presidential election is not a fantastic result, but how it was achieved and how quick his vote accumulated is the interesting element.

We have no idea how he transfered, which is a shame, as it would have really painted a more complete picture.

So, if the majority of MDHs transferred in huge numbers to PC, how interesting would that be...ignoring this anti establishment vote is not healthy, if nothing changes then what will come our way next time!

We know exactly how it was achieved. Because Casey went where no other self respecting candidate would go. (to their credit)

Is there 10% in any society that is prejudiced and biased? Of course there is, and a certain type of politician will exploit that. Look around you in the world. Not hard to spot.

You have already displayed an alarming trait of manipulating the truth. Done with you on the subject. The poster had the cahonas to admit they were wrong about the legislation when I posted the correct Act governing the issue and that they were wrong to say that travellers got special treatment in law. You clearly don't have the same integrity.

Just keep digging and trying to troll.
    *cajones

• Advertisement
    M

Jennifer McGuire hasn’t tweeted since that accusation.

Seems she’s been put back in her box in her little sheltered d4 hideout.

You won't see her silence on RTE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement