Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Yesterday, 17:05   #2356
spurious
Category Moderator

Have you looked for army papers for him?
I also thought it was unusual that it did not say 'soldier' or give the rank or regiment, but perhaps as Kildare Fan says he was a civilian working with the army.
Advertisement
Today, 08:27   #2357
mindhorn

I checked nam.ac.uk but can only find a record of his son there (guess to be expected since that only covers the period 1920-1922). Also tried FMP. This reads 'Soldier' for both fathers, right? It's a tiny bit more specific than just 'Army'.

As an aside, he lived around the corner from the British Army Recruiting Office on Pearse Street.
Today, 09:59   #2358
spurious
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindhorn View Post
I checked nam.ac.uk but can only find a record of his son there (guess to be expected since that only covers the period 1920-1922). Also tried FMP. This reads 'Soldier' for both fathers, right? It's a tiny bit more specific than just 'Army'.

As an aside, he lived around the corner from the British Army Recruiting Office on Pearse Street.
Did he always live there? I can see an older soldier on fold3.com , age given as either 38 or 44 (!) Joseph Whelan, but from Kingstown.
Thanks from:
Today, 13:16   #2359
mindhorn

You prompted me to go looking again for his death cert (1929) and managed to find it, thanks! Cert states that he was an ex-British soldier so that confirms that. Address is the same as at date of death.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion