Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Be grateful if someone with a cúpla focal can translate the date of death of Mary Gilchrist [#39] for me.

I know the month but the day has me stumped.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1946/04599/4218136.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hermy wrote: »
    Be grateful if someone with a cúpla focal can translate the date of death of Mary Gilchrist [#39] for me.

I know the month but the day has me stumped.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1946/04599/4218136.pdf

It's not the Irish I learned ..but it looks like the Eighteenth or the Eighth (Ocht being 8)

It looks like "an Ocímad La" ..La is Day..so the Eighteenth/Eight Day.

I would have learned 18th as an Ochtú la Deag.

The entry before and after both look like the 29th "an naoinad la is Ficead" meaning the 9th day and twenty. "Ficead".or "Fiche" meaning 20.
    I would have learned this as "an naonú Lá is Fiche"

There is no "Ficead" in entry 39 so my guess is either 8 or 18th.

Iúl is July.

I came from the Munster Dialect of Irish..there can be some big differences between the 4 main dialects of Irish. Almost like different launguages in some cases!!
    Maybe someone from the East might have better insight. Perhaps there is a Gaelige Forum that may help?!!

EDIT: it looks like it was registered the 14th August. "And Ceatharad la Deag" ..so I'd say an Ocímad la by itself would be the 8th of July

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I think it says the eighth day of July - an t-ochtmhad lá - the old spelling and the handwriting is fairly challenging

Thanks folks.

Yes, I'd be okay on the wording but the old script is a challenge.

EDIT: The 8th it is - just found the death notice!

Genealogy Forum Mod

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1948/04562/4204718.pdf

Cause of death for entry 155 please.

I can make out the word "Gastric"

and "13 days in Hosp."

Thanks

• Advertisement

Something like this?

'Perforated gastric ulcer, _______, peritonitis 1 month, 13 days in hospital, certified'

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Something like this?

'Perforated gastric ulcer, _______, peritonitis 1 month, 13 days in hospital, certified'

It's 'adhesive peritonitis'.

Thanks Hermy and Vetch. I would never had transcribed that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

In entry 49, marriage of Francis Barrington and Bridget Keogh, can anyone identify the residence of Bridget's parents, Edward and Catherine Keogh? Somwhere in Co Wicklow? Thank you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

rusheens wrote: »
    In entry 49, marriage of Francis Barrington and Bridget Keogh, can anyone identify the residence of Bridget's parents, Edward and Catherine Keogh? Somwhere in Co Wicklow? Thank you!

Glascolmane - known today as Liscolman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 riverina

spurious wrote: »
    Glascolmane - known today as Liscolman.

Thank you! I thought it said Glascolmane but couldn't find that on any townland maps/lists. Much appreciated!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

riverina wrote: »
    Thank you! I thought it said Glascolmane but couldn't find that on any townland maps/lists. Much appreciated!

logainm.ie has text files where you can look through variations of old names for listed places.
    I see there were Keoghs still there in 1901.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 riverina

Thanks, I have used the text files before but the "Glas" part was putting me off! Thanks for the help, it's opened up that new window :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Hi

Would anyone be able to decipher where in King's County Catherine Molloy lived (6th records down)

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1892/06018/4713380.pdf

Urney.
    King's Co.

I wonder can someone decipher the address in Cork City of Mary Doolan (Entry 244) from this death record.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1882/06407/4840057.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

I wonder can someone decipher the address in Cork City of Mary Doolan (Entry 244) from this death record.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1882/06407/4840057.pdf

Could it be Willis Place? you'd need to cross reference with District 4 area coverage

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/placenames/streetnamesbilinguallist/w/

Thanks for the suggestion Griffinx.

I still can't figure it out but I'm not seeing Willis.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for the suggestion Griffinx.

I still can't figure it out but I'm not seeing Willis.

It's definitely "House 32........Place"

Could it possibly be Willis..spelled "Willeus" I'm seeing "W....eus" anyway.

Could it be Wellington Place?

• Advertisement

It's definitely "House 32........Place"

Could it possibly be Willis..spelled "Willeus" I'm seeing "W....eus" anyway.

That's what I'm seeing too.

Is there such a place?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Griffinx wrote: »
    Could it be Willis Place? you'd need to cross reference with District 4 area coverage

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/placenames/streetnamesbilinguallist/w/

The death occurred in cork DLA, dispensary district 4. The home address could be anywhere in cork city or county.

The street names in 1882 could be different to today, either by renaming or demolition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

It looks like Warren's Place, now Parnell Place, Cork city centre.

Vetch wrote: »
    It looks like Warren's Place, now Parnell Place, Cork city centre.

Yes. I think it might be written Wearens place.

Cork streets/lanes beginning with W - Wellington Place is the only street name starting with a W and ending in place - there were families in Wellington Place in the 1901 census, no Doolans [from http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/genealogy/oldlanesandalleysofcork/#w]; the Post Office Directory 1842 has a Warren's Place http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1842jackson/jacksondirectory1842corrected.pdf
    Waggett’s Lane St Mary Widderlington’s Lane
    Walshe’s Lane St Mary, Shandon off Cattle lane
    Walshe’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Thomas Davis Street, east
    Warham’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Wellington Road
    Warren’s Lane St Finbar off Bandon Road
    Warren’s Row St Nicholas off Cove Street
    Water Lane St Anne, Shandon Now Seminary Road
    Water Lane St Finbar off Gillabbey Street
    Waugh’s Terrace St Mary, Shandon off City Gaol Road
    Weaver’s Alley St Anne, Shandon off John Street
    Weigh House Lane see Old Weigh House Lane
    Well Lane St Anne, Shandon off Glanmire Road, Lower
    Well Lane St Anne, Shandon off Gerald Griffin Avenue
    Wellington Place St Nicholas off Mary Street
    Wellington Place St Anne, Shandon off St Patrick’s Hill
    Wherland’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Thomas Davis Street, west
    Widderlington’s Lane St Mary, Shandon off Pope’s Quay
    Wise’s Lane St Mary, Shandon Near Cattlemarket Street
    Wood’s Alley St Finbar off Wood’s Lane near Lancaster Quay
    Wood’s Lane St Finbar off Lancaster Quay
    Wood’s Lane St Peter off Sheare’s Street (formerly Nile Street)
    Wood’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Thomas Davis Street
    Wood’s Lane Holy Trinity Between 19-20 South Main Street
    Wrixon’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Gerald Griffin Avenue. Peacock Lane was the former name of Gerald Griffin Avenue.
    Wycherley’s Alley St Anne, Shandon off Gerald Griffin Avenue

That's very good of you KildareFan.

I've run into a problem now with a child born after this woman's death so I may have the wrong death record. :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've run into a problem now with a child born after this woman's death so I may have the wrong death record. :(

Hate that!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think the first two letters are W and a (the small a looks like the capital A in asylum in the previous column).

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭timaru89

Hi, would really appreciate any help interpreting the details regarding the last record in attached image for William Cushion. Particularly difficult to read the burial place (sepultum est in) and observations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I can only make out the word Ratheniska at the end of the sentence.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement