Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Mick Tator wrote: »
    ‘of Mich. Tiernan and Mary Tiernan.’ ??

I think you might be right - first letter's a T rather than a G.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought the father was Geeran.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks spurious for your input. I was looking for a William Guerin (many spelling variations) born c1824 so was hoping that this could be his baptism. I'll note it as a possibility.
    Thanks all for your assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Hello everyone, Can anyone figure out the last name of the male witness to this marriage? Marriage is Martin Herrick to Ann Morris, parish of Eglish, Co Kings/Offaly on 6 February 1834. It looks like Jas. ??? Right side of image, about a third of the way down the page. Thanks.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635152#page/10/mode/1up

Looks to me like James K___y or R___y so maybe Kenny?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Rainy? I believe the initial letter is an R

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

similar to a few below ? Riley ?

similar to the one above ? Kennedy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

My initial thought was Neary, but would agree that first letter is "R".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think that's a K. There's a name a couple of lines above that that looks like Kennedy, plus there are two capital Rs at the top of the page on the right hand side. If it's an R, it looks a lot different to the capital Ps in the page - usually people's Ps and Rs are quite similar. Also, fourth from the bottom there's a Denis Roach (unless I'm mistaken).

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks everyone. Good observations but still a bit of a mystery. I appreciate your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Hi Hermy
    Thank you. I have added the link.
    Louis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Guys - lot of speculation here. Please keep this thread for just handwriting help.
    If you want us to split off for further discussion, just ask me or Hermy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry pinkypinky.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 stutoken

Hi everyone,

Have spent the past few weeks researching ancestors and currently struggling with a RC mariage record. Have found the threads in the Genealogy section very helpful in guiding me on my initial searches so thanks for all the useful information and I hope to get invlved with the forum as my seach continues as I have found it very interesting so far.

I am looking at entry 768 for John Christley / Chritchley and Anne Dunne married in Balbriggan 16th July 1877 -

*I tried to post link to NLI site but not permitted as I am new used*

This leg of family tree has been one of the more difficult to trace due to the variations in the spelling of the name Christley. I've found documents with at least 5 different variations of surname spelling for just the one person.

From civil record of this marriage the fathers' names are listed as Robert 'Critchley' and John Dunne.
    The 1901 census return for John and Anne Christly have John's birthplace listed as Co. Meath.

Can anyone make out the names recorded for parents on the church marriage record and the home place for Robert Chritchley. It looks like 'oyne' at end of placename so I'm currently checking for palcenames with that ending in Co.Meath and have found Dunboyne, Kilboyne and Balrathboyne.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

NLI link for the above marriage - see entry 768

could the grooms parents residence be Skryne (County Meath) ?

bride's mother Christina Fagan ? not sure about his now, theres some sort of writing before the ch

grooms mother's surname looks like Critchley or similar, firstname maybe Johanna ...

Skryne looks like a good match. I'll check church records in that area if available later.
    Fagan also looks right for bride's mother. Will give me another avenue to search.
    When I started this a few weeks ago I got the bones of family tree pulled together with civil searches pretty quickly but didn't realise how much effort the church records would take to flesh it out fully.
    Enjoying it though even if it does keep me up to all hours at night when I get drawn down a records rabbit hole.
    Thanks for your help.

Skryne is correct. Found John Christly's baptism record in 1843. Mother is listed as Jane Christly.

Hi,

Another placename I'm having difficuly with in Clane Parish, Co. Kildare

I'm looking at baptism record for Simon Dunne of Charles & Kitty Dunne dated 27 April 1834

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634561#page/19/mode/1up

Placename is Mount .........

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Armstrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

Looking to confirm the profession of Charles Rodgers (father of John Rodgers) in the last section here. Is it Teacher?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11387/8181092.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

I would guess Trader

Barney224 wrote: »
    Looking to confirm the profession of Charles Rodgers (father of John Rodgers) in the last section here. Is it Teacher?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11387/8181092.pdf

looks like Trader to me

It's a coin toss between teacher and trader, to me.

For me it's trader.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Trader here too.
    I have more commonly seen teacher with some sort of qualifier, like 'school teacher' or 'national teacher'.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

Thanks for info. Is Trader not a bit vague? Was it normal to have a job title of Trader in those days? What would a trader have done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Barney224 wrote: »
    Thanks for info. Is Trader not a bit vague? Was it normal to have a job title of Trader in those days? What would a trader have done?
    I’ve always understood that by the Victorian era there was a 'hierarchy' which was roughly applied –

Hawker............. sold goods from a basket or tray while 'on the move'.
    Costermonger ....sold goods (mainly fruit) from a barrow or stall.
    Fishmonger.........sold fish as above
    Trader...............sold goods from a fixed stall or stand.
    Shopkeeper........sold from a leased or owned retail premises
    Merchant...........large retailer/wholesaler with sizable premises and operation.

Advertisement