Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Debenhams?

Options

Comments

RGARDINR wrote: »
    If they eventually get the stock out where exactly do they sell it? I mean say for example all kids clothes or all the toys are they just shipped off somewhere in a sold lot or do people get a chance to buy same?

Online or TK MAXX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Online or TK MAXX

Just wouldn't be debenhams online as they don't own the stock now

Liquidators granted an injunction against protesters.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/1013/1171266-debenhams-injunction/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Liquidators granted an injunction against protesters.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/1013/1171266-debenhams-injunction/

Trade union representative, Carole Bridgeman, who worked at the Mahon Point store in Cork for 15 years, denied the protests by workers at various stores were unlawful.

However, under questioning from Judge Leonie Reynolds, she accepted she had been involved in an unlawful occupation of a store on Patrick Street in Cork

Unsurprisingly, Ms. Bridgeman's statement was "...supported by Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald as well as TDs, Brid Smith and Mick Barry."

For any other wannabe Taoiseach, supporting lawbreakers would be a blot on their copybook, but for Mary-Lou and her supporters it's probably a badge of honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see how many turn out to support them, seeing as so few actual workers have to date. Most have gained other employment since being made redundant.

They claim that they are entitled to the 4 weeks redundancy per year of employment as previously agreed. That would be ok if the business was still trading. It isn’t. If it was such a good deal, why didn’t they take it back then? The business has been struggling for years. It cannot have been a surprise to them.

If it was such a good deal, why didn’t they take it back then?

Probably because Debenhams Ireland were such a good employer. Decent local management, good commission rates and excellent working terms and conditions. Of course, as soon as the UK pulled the plug the whole narrative changed.

It's the liquidators that I feel sorry for - getting all of the abuse because they have been tasked with cleaning up someone else's mess, while having to ensure that they abide by the law. The costs of yesterday's court action can only come from the funds available - meaning there's less in the pot to pay the creditors.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭yaknowski

debenhams.ie is still in operation. The Irish gov should threaten to block access to the domain unless they pay over anything that is due to the ex-staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

yaknowski wrote: »
    debenhams.ie is still in operation. The Irish gov should threaten to block access to the domain unless they pay over anything that is due to the ex-staff.

But that's the point - there is nothing due to the ex-staff!

debenhams.ie is still in operation.

Many thanks for the heads up, yaknowall!

Some good bargains there - I've just bought some really good stuff - and free delivery too! :p

• Advertisement

Yeah good stuff on their website. I do miss the store. Wouldn't of minded going in if they had of been selling the stock in their stores to the public in a big liquidation sale.

Debenhams gone in uk now too https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Debenhams gone in uk now too https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Yup say they will make it to January anyhow with winding the business down.

Former workers still trying to flog a dead horse. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40191909.html

Former workers still trying to flog a dead horse. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40191909.html

Yeah madness was never going to end well for them sadly. I think I saw that 4 of the Irish debenhams stores that the stock has already been removed. Shame not sold to the public at the time, end up in tkmax etc. I have still bought online from them and latest was last night I know staff said not to do this but....... I really did like debenhams and staff who worked there were A+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Where is this notion coming from that if A makes a contract with B and B shirks on the deal, it's immediately incumbent on the state to pay A what B would have owed them?

The state had nothing to do with Debenhams and their employees, why should they for no reason start paying the former Debenhams workers above and beyond what other unemployed citizens are given?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Yeah I am sorry to see the shop gone and it's tough on the staff but unfortunately the same has happened to plenty of others and will happen again .Anything in retail is vulnerable these days so regrettably jobs are not fully secure nowadays .

Where is this notion coming from that if A makes a contract with B and B shirks on the deal, it's immediately incumbent on the state to pay A what B would have owed them?

The state had nothing to do with Debenhams and their employees, why should they for no reason start paying the former Debenhams workers above and beyond what other unemployed citizens are given?

The original deal was for an earlier round of redundancies. It was no longer on the table. So, B didn’t shirk on any deal. Just a few greedy people with a misplaced sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

debenhams.ie is still in operation.

Closing down sale now on.

Also mentioned on the site today
    URGENT! This website will be temporarily closing at Midnight, use your gift cards today. .

If the strike is an official protest, are the strikers getting unemployment benefit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The original deal was for an earlier round of redundancies. It was no longer on the table. So, B didn’t shirk on any deal. Just a few greedy people with a misplaced sense of entitlement.
    Yeah my original post included "shirks/goes bankrupt etc." to cover all bases but I deleted it to simplify. Either way they feel that since they didn't get what they want off Debenhams, the government have a duty to give it to them.

Still striking. Really greedy now. They want money, not the chance to upskill! Less than half of the former workers voted.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40206314.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think holding out for some miracle better deal was very short sighted have made a lot of themselves unemployable now .Unfortunately all retail jobs are not so secure now so people should do their best to up skill or else face a lot of financial uncertainty .

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

If the strike is an official protest, are the strikers getting unemployment benefit?

I wondered about that too.

What stores still have stock - I know a few were emptied.

I’m not sure why the Government should be forced to pay them what they think they are owed. They got their statutory redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

Debenhams online? Give yourself a break,Its an english company.It will turn into another Littlewoodsireland.ie where you order stuff and it never arrives and you tear your hair trying to get a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    I wondered about that too.

What stores still have stock - I know a few were emptied.

I’m not sure why the Government should be forced to pay them what they think they are owed. They got their statutory redundancy.

NO stat redund has been paid.Debs liquidator does not have enough ready cash for that

beachhead wrote: »
    Debenhams online? Give yourself a break,Its an english company.It will turn into another Littlewoodsireland.ie where you order stuff and it never arrives and you tear your hair trying to get a refund

I actually found their online store very good. I ordered loads from them. Shame can't anymore.

NO stat redund has been paid.Debs liquidator does not have enough ready cash for that

The government will pay it. What they’re looking for is double statutory. Debenhams.ie online has been discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

If a company cannot afford the statutory redundancy then the State will pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd say most of these are long service employees - going back to the old Roches Stores days.

Like the Clerys employees too when that closed.

They thought that they would keep their jobs and generous T&Cs forever - totally ignoring the drastic changes affecting retail especially online shopping. Unfortunately that proved not to be the case.

Successful retail businesses operate on thin margins - they have to keep abreast of fashions etc. as one bad season can threaten the whole business. Much bigger and more successful retailers like M&S have found this difficult. The UK 'high street' is being destroyed by online shopping and high costs, it's no surprise that badly run retailers like Debenhams have experienced similar here.

The last time I bought something in Debenhams was 20 years ago, and that was only just worth what I paid even though it was "half price". Any time I was in there since, their offerings were pure rubbish. They're one of the many clothing retailers with a completely shyte offering for men. I know we buy less clothing than women, but you can't ignore the buying power of half of the population either and expect to survive.
    They have called for the €3m to be given as top-up redundancy pay instead.

Ay, there's the rub, as Shakespeare wrote.

Doing this would favour the longest serving employees financially - and, not coincidentally, as the ones nearest retirement they'd have the least interest in any bullshít retraining fund.

I don't blame them for doing what they're doing but it's just not going to work.
    “If the Government are willing to change the €3m training fund into cash then this could be finished."

I really don't know why I'm expected as a taxpayer to dip into my pocket to buy this crowd off, they are entitled to statutory redundancy and anything above that is a matter for their former employer.

F them to be honest, the government should withdraw the 3 million.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement