Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

airedale wrote: »
    I just picked up the 450x, and am trying to decide how much to setup the boarder wire around some of my trees. I have a line of 6 trees, which are spaced about 6 feet apart, and they have no mulch around them. Should I put the boarder wire around them, or just let the automower bump into them? Along with that, I have a row of dogwood bushes (6 again) spaced about 3 feet apart that I am wondering the same thing on.

A picture of the trees/bushes might help?

Typically if the item in the way, trees in this case, are solid and not going to move you dont need to put the wire around them. Just let it bump against them. But it depends on the layout. A picture would help.

The bushes are probably different. I presume it would end up driving under them so you probably have to put border wire around them. Again, a pic will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

anyone know what the latest firmware version is or what the changelog is for the 430x? I've just set mine off again this year but was wondering if Husqvarna introduced any new features / improvements.
    Had mine go without guide wires last year but got the cable to do it for this year - just have to wait for the weather to improve to lay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

Is there any way to wire up the boundary to section off an area on a switch?
    I've an area for daffodils that I don't want the mower to go into for a few months of the year.
    Last year and this year I've snipped and rejoined the boundary wire to include/exclude that section. But I wonder if there's a better way?

3 way join at X at the moment.
    When I want to include Daffodil section to be cut again I change it to a 2 way join. excluding the _ cable

_________X
    |
    |=======|
    |--Lawn-|==Daffs==|
    |
    |=======|
    |
    |_________X
    |
    |
    |_________________|

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Looking to buy a robomoward for my mother. How do I choose which one? It's about 1200sqmof grass according to this site. Want something decent but looking for good value. Any suggestions or how do I decide which to look at? Thanks

dos30 wrote: »
    Is there any way to wire up the boundary to section off an area on a switch?
    I've an area for daffodils that I don't want the mower to go into for a few months of the year.
    Last year and this year I've snipped and rejoined the boundary wire to include/exclude that section. But I wonder if there's a better way?

3 way join at X at the moment.
    When I want to include Daffodil section to be cut again I change it to a 2 way join. excluding the _ cable

_________X
    |
    |=======|
    |--Lawn-|==Daffs==|
    |
    |=======|
    |
    |_________X
    |
    |
    |_________________|

No reason why you can't use two switches like you said. Getting one that would work and be appropriately waterproof would be the problem.

Maybe send an email to the dealers or the manufacturers, they might have come across it before.

Zascar wrote: »
    Looking to buy a robomoward for my mother. How do I choose which one? It's about 1200sqmof grass according to this site. Want something decent but looking for good value. Any suggestions or how do I decide which to look at? Thanks

Decent and good value is very subjective. Do you have a budget?

Is it one big grass area with no steps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Hi Guys this thread is great thanks for creating it, I'm looking at one of these for my elderly mum. Is there much maintenance with these? 
    From what I've read, there is the initial set up and tweaking. Then it just works? Sounds perfect! I hear batteries last about 2 years which is fine and blades need changing or sharping once or twice a season again no problem. What about the motors and sensors? Has anyone had issue with boundary wire corroding? 
    I think I'm convinced. The Husqvarna 315 looks like a good machine for the money, we have about 750m2 of grass. e1800 rrp. I'm sure there's a little wiggle room on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KhyrieLiam

Mine is just a ride on mower. I bet automatic mowers a bit pricey but is worth it. Well, its just a matter of time in mowing. I do the mowing twice a week and if I have more time, I can do it thrice but depends on the condition of my lawn.

pedro7 wrote: »
    Hi Guys this thread is great thanks for creating it, I'm looking at one of these for my elderly mum. Is there much maintenance with these? 
    From what I've read, there is the initial set up and tweaking. Then it just works? Sounds perfect! I hear batteries last about 2 years which is fine and blades need changing or sharping once or twice a season again no problem. What about the motors and sensors? Has anyone had issue with boundary wire corroding? 
    I think I'm convinced. The Husqvarna 315 looks like a good machine for the money, we have about 750m2 of grass. e1800 rrp. I'm sure there's a little wiggle room on that too.

Getting the perimeter and guide wires in is the hardest bit. You need to be sure that the whole lawn area is connected with no steps. i.e. the mower can access every part of the lawn from the base station (which needs power).

Battery should last much longer than 2 years. I'd say 5-10yrs depending on the model you buy and how big the lawn is.

The blades on the Husqvarna need changing a few times a year (again dependent on lawn size). Less than 5 min job with a philips screwdriver.

There isnt any other maintenance and if you use the proper wire it shouldnt corrode.

Havent had any issues with motors/sensors. I have had issues with the base station (power supply and ECU) which were fixed under warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

KCross wrote: »
    Too late, I have it done! :) It only took a .

Hi guys

Going to bring this back up, last year I didn't go Robomow because the trees around house was covering about 5ft of the garden right around so putting in the wire would have been waste of time.

I hadn't planned to take the trees down for maybe a year or 2 but I ended up cutting them all done, I attached a picture of house before and now which trees are gone

Just marked with red spray. The garden itself is a mess now so I am waiting for landscaper to fix but I am back looking at Robomow because now I can run the wire around perimeter and also the garden will be level

So just wondering, I have installed in night/day meter. Do many people run the mower at night time? taking advantage of the cheaper electricity?

Does the mower sense if it starts lashing and head home for some cover? or is recommendation to have it going during the day?

I have 3 tree's dotted around garden(apple/pear/plum) do people just leave them and let it bounce off the tree and continue on or do you run a ring of wire around them?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Hi all,
    Hoping to purchase one of these in the next week or so!
    Im torn between the Robomow 308 and the Husqvarna 310. I googled, youtubed the heck out of both and am still not able to decide. My lawn is 810m2. The Robomow is ideal at 800m2 and the Husqvarna up to 1000m2.
    Has anyone seen the 2 put against each other? Would the Robomow struggle doing the extra few m2?
    Heard that the blades can fall off the Husqvarna (from a Robomow sales man!!). I have young kids and wouldnt like the thought of that.
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jod1983 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im torn between the Robomow 308 and the Husqvarna 310. I googled, youtubed the heck out of both and am still not able to decide. My lawn is 810m2. The Robomow is ideal at 800m2 and the Husqvarna up to 1000m2.
    Has anyone seen the 2 put against each other? Would the Robomow struggle doing the extra few m2?
    Heard that the blades can fall off the Husqvarna (from a Robomow sales man!!). I have young kids and wouldnt like the thought of that.
    Thanks in advance

There is a video on YouTube... Husqvarna automower compared to other robotic mowers, something like that. I have a Husqvarna just over a week and already delighted with the quality of cut.

Ps have never heard of the blades falling off, but they are tiny, and pivot back when they hit anything solid, so it's not something that would worry me

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hi guys

Going to bring this back up, last year I didn't go Robomow because the trees around house was covering about 5ft of the garden right around so putting in the wire would have been waste of time.

I hadn't planned to take the trees down for maybe a year or 2 but I ended up cutting them all done, I attached a picture of house before and now which trees are gone

Just marked with red spray. The garden itself is a mess now so I am waiting for landscaper to fix but I am back looking at Robomow because now I can run the wire around perimeter and also the garden will be level

So just wondering, I have installed in night/day meter. Do many people run the mower at night time? taking advantage of the cheaper electricity?

Does the mower sense if it starts lashing and head home for some cover? or is recommendation to have it going during the day?

I have 3 tree's dotted around garden(apple/pear/plum) do people just leave them and let it bounce off the tree and continue on or do you run a ring of wire around them?

They can run at night no problem. I know with the Husqvarna that once it's been running a while it's only cutting a couple of mm each time so it can cut in the rain no problem, as there is so little cut grass being munched it doesn't stick together in mats in the rain as it would if a mower was taking longer cuts once a week or so. I have a few small trees in my lawn and it just bounces off them, reverses and heads a different direction. No need for wire...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

pedro7 wrote: »

Purchased the 420 late last season and never looked back. It's virtually maintenance free - I clean the underside once a week, takes 10mins. Will be doing first blade change tomorrow which only takes 5mins. There are no corrosion issues with the cable.

For pricing I found no wiggle room with local dealers so purchased online and saved quite a bit and did the installation myself.

Hi all,
    Im torn between the Robomow 308 and the Husqvarna 310.

Thanks in advance

Was in the same situation last year but with different models. I strongly advise to view the machines in operation.
    My experience
    1. Robomow is far noisier.
    2. Robomow is heavier about 20kg compared to Husqvarna at 11kg. Since it uses the perimeter method to travel you will see tracks developing.
    3. Pricing and installation is similar.
    4. Robomow seem to be more problematic - check the feedback on their Facebook page. Also there is a very good German robot forum which highlights lots of issues http://www.roboter-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?7-Rasenm%E4her&

My gut feeling was there was going to be more work involved on my side trying to make the Robomow work. I know the limitations of the Husqvarna, cutting more often and changing blades but they are cheap (haven't flown off yet).

Zzippy wrote: »
    They can run at night no problem. I know with the Husqvarna that once it's been running a while it's only cutting a couple of mm each time so it can cut in the rain no problem, as there is so little cut grass being munched it doesn't stick together in mats in the rain as it would if a mower was taking longer cuts once a week or so. I have a few small trees in my lawn and it just bounces off them, reverses and heads a different direction. No need for wire...

Thanks, I just got landscaper in. I am bringing in a load of 2 of topsoil, he is going to level out the couple of bumps in lawn and then reseed the whole thing....

I am wondering should I install the wire once he has finished reseeding? then start robomow cutting once the garden starts to grow?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

cornet wrote: »
    Purchased the 420 late last season and never looked back. It's virtually maintenance free - I clean the underside once a week, takes 10mins. Will be doing first blade change tomorrow which only takes 5mins. There are no corrosion issues with the cable.

For pricing I found no wiggle room with local dealers so purchased online and saved quite a bit and did the installation myself.

Hi, thanks for the reply. My local dealer has no wiggle room. Where online did you purchase? Been looking at a Swedish company GPL Shop and they seem to be best i can find.

Hi, thanks for the reply. My local dealer has no wiggle room. Where online did you purchase? Been looking at a Swedish company GPL Shop and they seem to be best i can find.

Bought it from https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/ paid €2,109 which included the large installation kit and shipping. Dealer price was €2,499 plus €289 for large installation kit (actual installation would be extra).
    After I purchased it I found it cheaper from a Swedish company :(https://www.entreprenadbutiken.com which is where I intend to buy spare blades etc. Looking at the GPL website it looks like the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

Hi all, I am very excited on the thoughts of an auto mower cutting my 1000 m lawn. Like most here, finding to time to cut the lawn is tough between work, kids and family duties, gaa training, jobs around the house, weather etc... I bought an medium grade self drive push lawn mower which takes 1.5 Hours of work every 7-10 days approx. Some days cutting is fine but usually it's a race against time.

I read this topic and very encouraged about automowers. I only ever saw one in real life and to be honest I was disappointed. The grass appeared to just trampled and rolled into the ground by the husquvara automowers. The grass was actually long but was flattened. From afar the lawn looked fine but up close, grass was long and flat.

I presume this was the exception rather than norm and was result of blunt blades, automowers running too seldom or often etc...

Has anyone seen this before or any other bad aspects of using automowers?

Also, my main other question is the durability/reliability of a automower. Ignoring standard maintenance (blades,battery,etc), will a 2000+ euro automower bought today be still be cutting grass in 5/10 years time presuming mower was minded properly and cut reasonable amount of grass?

Sin e, B

bauney wrote: »
    Hi all, I am very excited on the thoughts of an auto mower cutting my 1000 m lawn. Like most here, finding to time to cut the lawn is tough between work, kids and family duties, gaa training, jobs around the house, weather etc... I bought an medium grade self drive push lawn mower which takes 1.5 Hours of work every 7-10 days approx. Some days cutting is fine but usually it's a race against time.

I read this topic and very encouraged about automowers. I only ever saw one in real life and to be honest I was disappointed. The grass appeared to just trampled and rolled into the ground by the husquvara automowers. The grass was actually long but was flattened. From afar the lawn looked fine but up close, grass was long and flat.

I presume this was the exception rather than norm and was result of blunt blades, automowers running too seldom or often etc...

Has anyone seen this before or any other bad aspects of using automowers?

Also, my main other question is the durability/reliability of a automower. Ignoring standard maintenance (blades,battery,etc), will a 2000+ euro automower bought today be still be cutting grass in 5/10 years time presuming mower was minded properly and cut reasonable amount of grass?

Sin e, B

Flattened grass was probably caused by the grass being too long when the automower started cutting. It's recommended to get the lawn cut once before installation so the mower is not trying to cope with grass higher than the "bumper" level of the machine. Our installation was delayed, so the grass was too long in places, and I noticed areas that were flattened, however the mower will eventually hit those areas from different directions and cut it down to the same level. We've had the mower 2 weeks now and the lawn looks great both close up and from a distance. The design of robot mowers is not conducive to cutting long grass - the front part of the machine travels over the grass first before the underside blades cut it.

As for long-term reliability, can't help there, but we're hoping it's good for many years.

I'd agree with Zzippy on the flattened grass.

On reliability, I'd say you are safe enough at 5yrs. I know of some that are running that long without issue. I am on my 3rd year. I had a few issues covered under warranty (power supply and base control unit) so they are not 100% reliable but what mower is!

You have to weigh up the pros and cons and imo the automower has many more pros than cons - mainly time, money and environment.
    The biggest stumbling block is having a lawn that is suitable (all connected with no steps).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

i've bitten the bullet and ordered the Husqvarna 420 .. being installed on saturday .. will take a final cut off the lawn this evening with the walk behind mower.

I have about 1600m2 of grass to be cut .. down a good bit from last year when I paved quite a bit of grass. The decision came about when I took the first cut off the lawn this year and between tatch, moss & weeds I realised I didn't have a lawn but a controlled meadow.

With family and work pressures I can't maintain the lawn .... its russian roulette at the weekends with rain and family commitments to find the 3+ hours to cut the grass and more often than not the grass is too high and I end up butchering it and leaving far too much clippings lying around.

I got the lawn scarified and it looks like the dried out grasslands in Africa at the moment .... was going to fork out for a new ride on but decided to give the automower a chance .. hoping that I haven't made the wrong choice!

whippet wrote: »
    i've bitten the bullet and ordered the Husqvarna 420 .. being installed on saturday .. will take a final cut off the lawn this evening with the walk behind mower.

I have about 1600m2 of grass to be cut .. down a good bit from last year when I paved quite a bit of grass. The decision came about when I took the first cut off the lawn this year and between tatch, moss & weeds I realised I didn't have a lawn but a controlled meadow.

With family and work pressures I can't maintain the lawn .... its russian roulette at the weekends with rain and family commitments to find the 3+ hours to cut the grass and more often than not the grass is too high and I end up butchering it and leaving far too much clippings lying around.

I got the lawn scarified and it looks like the dried out grasslands in Africa at the moment .... was going to fork out for a new ride on but decided to give the automower a chance .. hoping that I haven't made the wrong choice!

As long as its all connected with no steps and you dont have ongoing plans to keep redesigning the lawn, which would require moving perimeter wire, then you have made the right choice.

I bought the automower for the exact reasons you bought.... I dont want to be at the mercy of the weather and then finding its 2 weeks between cuts and then its out of control and you cant mulch it and it just takes too much time on a Saturday when Im busy with other things.

Best of luck, its a joy to watch it in action once its up and running!

You mentioned been installed, are you getting the company to install the guide wire? Thanks

i've bitten the bullet and ordered the Husqvarna 420 .. being installed on saturday

How much was it and where did you buy? Online or at a Husqvarna dealer?

KCross wrote: »
    How much was it and where did you buy? Online or at a Husqvarna dealer?

i've ordered it from a dealer who will be installing it .. i believe with stuff like this the success of the product can be as much about having it installed right the first time and am willing to pay for someone else to do it right .. i'm good at what I do and I charge people for my time and i'm more than happy to pay someone for their time to do stuff right!!!

I got it for about €100 less than the list on the website ... very little scope for discount no matter who I called.

I won't name the dealer until it is up and running and I can give a bit of an informed review.

My garden is fairly basic .. bit of a slope but nothing that it shouldn't be able to handle. I have to make a route from the back to the front though a fence I put up to keep dogs in. The dealer identified a small area which would have to be avoided .. severe slope in to the hedge which in wet conditions may scupper the machine .. so this will be used for the kids veggie patch.

i'm looking forward to getting those hours back each week and hopefully I can put the time in to the astethics of the garden .. up to now my gardening has been limited to just trying to keep the grass down.

and its installed ... has been happily bopping around the garden since saturday lunch time.

It took about 3 hours from start to finish by the dealer to install, and this confirmed my theory on getting someone who has experience in doing to to the install.

It only took a matter of minutes for him to decide on the best path for the guide wire and boundary wire and where to position the base. He had to cut through a small bit of fencing to give the mower access to the front.

When it was set up and ready to go he did the initial installation tests with me to make sure I knew how it was set up and what the theory behind it was. After that .. it went out cutting and has been ever since.

My grass is in a mess at the moment ... yellow, straw and some bare patches .. it has been scarified and I cut it to the bone last week in preparation. So at the moment the mower is set to relatively high to allow the grass to grow.

It is a bit weird but i'm constantly looking out to see where it is ... worried about it being caught somewhere or not going to some parts of the garden .. but so far .. it has been concentrating as per the set parameters.

The dogs initially were curious; lasted about 5 minutes and have since ignored it.

for the record; the dealer was greenfeet.ie

for the record; the dealer was greenfeet.ie

Thanks, did he run the wire for you? I know I keep asking but I have a large garden and running the wire myself would take too long so would like someone to come it......

Did he have the tool with just runs outside and auto pushs in wire?

Thanks, did he run the wire for you? I know I keep asking but I have a large garden and running the wire myself would take too long so would like someone to come it......

He did .. we have about 1600sqm and he used a tool for running the wire. As i said three hours start to finish ... I'd say if I tried it myself I'd still be at it a week later and would have made a balls of it. Well worth paying for someone who knows what they are at and who has done it hundreds of times

It's really not that big a job - you just need a rubber mallet to tap the pegs in with. I did it in one evening. The benefit of the machine is that the cable is buried whereas it takes a while for the grass to cover the pegged wire.

Programming the robot is very simple.

If it's a really complicated installation then perhaps it's better getting a professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

[Apologies, havent read the entire thread]

Whats the story with security? Are there any mitigations for some hi-ace rolling by the gate and deciding "we'll have that"?

The suggestion I'd make (based on old info in the initial few pages of the thread) is if you find yourself checking it regularly to ensure its still going ok you could add an IP camera with motion detection to the area with the base station. That way ever time it took off and returned you could receive an email so even on holidays you'd know if it were in the green.

Advertisement