Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boydes Gunstocks

Options
  • 07-05-2020 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Boydes are now shipping internationally stocks over $100. What would be the cost of getting a $150 stock delivered to the door. i.e. shipping,duties and vat.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Vat would be the biggest one at 23%. If the stock is under €150 then there is no excise or duty afaik. Also the VAT is only applicable to the cost of handlig, shipping and insurance once in the EU.

So say the stock is $150, that is €138.38. The breakdown should be something like this (all in €):

Cost of stock | 138.38
    Handling, transport, insurance | 25
    Total value | 163.38
    Custom Duty (17%) | 0 (item alone is under the €150 mark)
    VAT (23%) | 37.58
    An Post handling fee | 10 (example)
    Total charges (VAT & An Post) | 47.58
    Total cost of item | 185.96

If you go over €150 in value of the item alone you will get charged with a customs duty, but they say on their website if its €6 or under they won't collect on it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

What happens between €6 and €150 ?

Sorry i should have been clearer. If the item is over €150 customs duty will apply, however if that fee/charge (the customs duty) is €6 or less then they won't collect on it.

IOW if the item was say €160, and subject to customs duty as well as VAT, and the customs duty worked out at €1.85 (pure example) they won't bother to collect it. So you pay no customs duty. In yet more other words (IYMOW :D ) it's not worth collecting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Re Cass' s answer - everything he said.

I brought in a €250 (ish) item and was charged at the door step for VAT. They had calculated it on everything, cost of item and shipping fees.

If you are ordering it I would advise you to run the cost of shipping through Addresspal and see what the difference is compared to what the international shipping fee is from the supplier.
    Some of the smaller items I was looking at (example 3 inch blade knife) , that could be delivered to Ireland, were costing approximately $35.00 and up (being quoted $70+) in delivery charges. This usually negatied the reason to purchase abroad.
    On the other hand ground shipping in the US cost me €5.00 and then another €15.99 (0.12kg weight) for Addresspal. So the total was €20.99. Addresspal charge accordingly by weight bands.
    Addresspal is dear if bringing in small items, in my case I was only able to buy said item in the US which they won't ship international. So €20.99 shipping for a hens tooth here is brilliant.

Parmour stocks in the U.K. might be cheaper.

• Advertisement

A quick look at just the thumbhole stocks for reference and the prices are £250 to £300 or €285 to €342 without shipping. If shipping is say £20 (€23) then its going to be between €310 to €370.

That would be double the cost of the Boyds stocks.

If you wanted to go that route, but it'll cost more, look at Form rifle stocks in the UK which cost around €550 up , or give Pat Sludds a shout in Wexford who'll make you one from scratch for between €400 to €500 depending on features.

What are you after? Style, finish, material, etc.

Depend on the stock you want.

Will address pal handle gun stocks.

Advertisement