Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

wrangler wrote: »
    I use it because I'm feeding straw...... no other source of protein,
    Their super ewe and lamb ration is all good stuff,
    What's their 18% ration like, how does it read

ah that makes sense,could be different with decent haylage,they do two 18% nuts..one cheaper with less soya and one with soya meal as the second ingredient..personally i wouldn't worry much about the percentage of protein in a ewe feed but more the percentage of soya bean meal..c.r wynnes in co.kildare do a ewe ration which is 18% and there is nothing in a ewe ration to match it..nothing i seen anyway..if it was a nut form id use nothing else myself

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Young95

tried the grennans 20% nut on the sponged ewes pre lambing...definitely doesnt need extra soya anyway anyway..will be using it on the rest of the ewes pre lambing

Are the 20% much dearer ?

Young95 wrote: »
    Are the 20% much dearer ?

€20 per ton

See the sheep welfare payment reference year is being changed to 2017 . Personally I’m annoyed that there going back to far back in the years . Was hoping for minimum 2019. Anyone else see or read anything I missed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

See the sheep welfare payment reference year is being changed to 2017 . Personally I’m annoyed that there going back to far back in the years . Was hoping for minimum 2019. Anyone else see or read anything I missed ?

Yea, I just put that up under ''sheep welfare forum'' only 17m allotted to it, budget wouldn't be big enough if they went to 2020. €17m will only do 1.7m sheep I'd say there's another half million sheep at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Yea, I just put that up under ''sheep welfare forum'' only 17m allotted to it, budget wouldn't be big enough if they went to 2020. €17m will only do 1.7m sheep I'd say there's another half million sheep at least

You think sheep numbers increased half a million between 14/15 and 17?

You think sheep numbers increased half a million between 14/15 and 17?

Census claims there's 2.57m breeding ewes in the country so wherever they are the department don't want to pay out on them all, I think there was 25m euros allocated the first year, it's reduced now due to farmers getting out and not allowing for others expanding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Census claims there's 2.57m breeding ewes in the country so wherever they are the department don't want to pay out on them all, I think there was 25m euros allocated the first year, it's reduced now due to farmers getting out and not allowing for others expanding

Is there a minimum number of ewes needed to qualify for this scheme?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Is there a minimum number of ewes needed to qualify for this scheme?

It was something like 15 ewes or hoggets over 12 months last time but I’m not sure if it’s the same this time

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

It was something like 15 ewes or hoggets over 12 months last time but I’m not sure if it’s the same this time

Cheers, I rang the department there and am waiting on them to send out the info. Would ye lads find it beneficial?. I would be meeting at least one of the standards they set out anyway from each list so sounds like money for feck all??.

Is the requirement where they are asking you to feed lambs meal after weaning not a strange one?. If a man had oceans of grass he wouldn't necessarily need meal to finish his lambs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Do you have to be lambing down ewes for this scheme? I have around 30 store lambs but intend going lambing this year or next so am I ruled out

k mac wrote: »
    Do you have to be lambing down ewes for this scheme? I have around 30 store lambs but intend going lambing this year or next so am I ruled out

I think you need to have ewes over a yr old to be eligble to claim the grant but not sure. Maybe ring and ask? 0761064420 is their number. it may depend on if your a new entrant or not too

Cheers, I rang the department there and am waiting on them to send out the info. Would ye lads find it beneficial?. I would be meeting at least one of the standards they set out anyway from each list so sounds like money for feck all??.

Is the requirement where they are asking you to feed lambs meal after weaning not a strange one?. If a man had oceans of grass he wouldn't necessarily need meal to finish his lambs?

But you're only paid up to the number you had in the reference year which at the moment is your number on the census of 2014 I think but looking like it'll be changed to 2017 now

k mac wrote: »

they're not eligible

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭joe35

What's people's thoughts on feeding fodder beet to sheep pre lambing. We would feed it just whole in the field. Put out a scoop of beet when we're putting out a bale of silage/hay. So we would be more or less feeding it adlip. I'm thinking it's too expensive but the father thinks it's very handy and keeps stock in good form.

What's people's thoughts

But you're only paid up to the number you had in the reference year which at the moment is your number on the census of 2014 I think but looking like it'll be changed to 2017 now

From speaking to the person in the department they said as a new entrant (first yr of herd in own name) they consider my census from this yr as my reference number?.

joe35 wrote: »
    What's people's thoughts on feeding fodder beet to sheep pre lambing. We would feed it just whole in the field. Put out a scoop of beet when we're putting out a bale of silage/hay. So we would be more or less feeding it adlip. I'm thinking it's too expensive but the father thinks it's very handy and keeps stock in good form.

What's people's thoughts

It can be awkward to find space for around the yard. And awkward to get out to a field but if you’re bringing out bales already, then you probably have that angle covered.

Do you have many old ewes with poor teeth? They might struggle with it, especially if you’re not splitting big ones.

It’s about the same price as rolled oats per kg of DM, but the ewes might not be able to eat as much beet as they get close to lambing coz their stomachs get smaller as the lambs grow bigger inside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭joe35

It can be awkward to find space for around the yard. And awkward to get out to a field but if you’re bringing out bales already, then you probably have that angle covered.

Do you have many old ewes with poor teeth? They might struggle with it, especially if you’re not splitting big ones.

It’s about the same price as rolled oats per kg of DM, but the ewes might not be able to eat as much beet as they get close to lambing coz their stomachs get smaller as the lambs grow bigger inside them.

Never seem to have problems with teeth. It is handy feeding and keeps them in good condition. I sometimes think it would be more economical to spend less on beet and more on ration.

But again very easy fed

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

That option only for hill flock. Suppose idea is get a few kg on them to help them in the store ring. And also beneficial to whoever is going finish them later in the year. To have them trained to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭arctictree

They should average it out over a number of years - or is that too much to ask? This ****e of using one year is very unfair to some lads. For example, this year I sold most of my breeding ewes in October. Then I bought a big batch of ewe lambs and put them with the Ram. So according to the census, I have about 10 breeding ewes!

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    They should average it out over a number of years - or is that too much to ask? This ****e of using one year is very unfair to some lads. For example, this year I sold most of my breeding ewes in October. Then I bought a big batch of ewe lambs and put them with the Ram. So according to the census, I have about 10 breeding ewes!

I was hoping They’d pick 2019 or on . But 2017 is worth feck all more to me than the current reference year .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, just treated a ewe lamb there for lameness. Never seen a foot as bad, basically, the whole hoof was hanging off by a thread. I cut off what was left, cleaned it up, blue sprayed it and started her on a course of Tylosin. Do ye think she'll ever recover? Would the hoof wall grow back from nothing?

Lads, just treated a ewe lamb there for lameness. Never seen a foot as bad, basically, the whole hoof was hanging off by a thread. I cut off what was left, cleaned it up, blue sprayed it and started her on a course of Tylosin. Do ye think she'll ever recover? Would the hoof wall grow back from nothing?

wouldnt be keeping her for breeding anyway..trot mare trot foal

Ya....it should....i used buy alot of lambs etc like that for feeding,and nearly always they would come right

You can get stuff to put over it,to keep out dirt etc,but i used just let them into a clean field on their own and feed meal on the grass etc to em

Yes, I had a few bad ones like that a few years ago and they came right fast enough after treatment. Feed them extra too

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Sheep’s feet are resilient. I had 2 ewes that I bought during the summer that were really bad. Even smelling. Anyway cut off all the affected hoof, which was pretty much all the hoof and wrapped her foot with a bandage filled with bluestone and kept them inside on dry ground. She was in pretty good shape when I sold her a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭DJ98

Feeding ewes here nuts in the morning and beet and then gives them Hay in the evening time and they would still have some left the next morning, would this be enough or would they be wanting to get Hay in the morning aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Have 40 hoggets (replacement ewe lambs, not in lamb) 6 have gone lame in past week. No footrot or any sign of swelling or hot joints. Any idea if cause

All lambs now perfect. 35 years in sheep never seen this before. Just footbathed no other treatement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

On the subject of lameness, we'd get a few where a crack would develop between the wall and the sole.
    What causes this? Is it a deficiency?
    Dirt will get stuck there and cause discomfort, all i can do is pare back the wall until there's nowhere for dirt to get trapped.

• Advertisement

On the subject of lameness, we'd get a few where a crack would develop between the wall and the sole.
    What causes this? Is it a deficiency?
    Dirt will get stuck there and cause discomfort, all i can do is pare back the wall until there's nowhere for dirt to get trapped.

do you use formalin

Advertisement