Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Have a friend buying 10 inlamb hoggets all scanned with twins.....the hoggets would have been €175 last September so nice sheep but no show stoppers.....what are they worth now inlamb I was thinking €210 or €215 would be the max or what are peoples opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

No wrangler 2 separate farms I was just saying he uses powdered minerals thru silage for cows is the a powdered míneral for sheep and could u mix it thru molasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    No wrangler 2 separate farms I was just saying he uses powdered minerals thru silage for cows is the a powdered míneral for sheep and could u mix it thru molasses?

Are you not using ration, If they got a proper ration for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy you'd have all angles covered, energy, protein, minerals and vitamins.
    All these queries about poor lambs is down to poor feeding pre lambing. Some farmers make their own misfortune

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    Are you not using ration, If they got a proper ration for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy you'd have all angles covered, energy, protein, minerals and vitamins.
    All these queries about poor lambs is down to poor feeding pre lambing. Some farmers make their own misfortune

Just curious do you prefer ration over nuts wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    Just curious do you prefer ration over nuts wrangler

I use ration mostly with the ewes inside, I just like the look of it, no other reason.
    We have to use cobs through the snacker and small nuts to the lambs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Wrangler, when feeding straw to your sheep, did you put any valve on it as a feed or use it just as a fibre source?

Wrangler, when feeding straw to your sheep, did you put any valve on it as a feed or use it just as a fibre source?

No value, I feed .5kg to replace the silage and then build on that when they're six weeks out, they're actually supposed to be getting enough fibre if the meal is 7% fibre so I just bed them same as normal, I'm actually using less straw now than when I was feeding silage a week ago, but I give them some fresh straw every day 80 ewes are using a round bale every three days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Alot to be said meal at times. 2 bags of meal will feed 100 ewes a day, cost about €15. Not much between that and the cost of bought in silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Agree Teagasc have done a study on this. I’m feeding only meal until ewes are housed this year.

roosky wrote: »
    Have a friend buying 10 inlamb hoggets all scanned with twins.....the hoggets would have been €175 last September so nice sheep but no show stoppers.....what are they worth now inlamb I was thinking €210 or €215 would be the max or what are peoples opinion

I think this is a bargain in today’s market. Could bring the €210/€215 back on the lambs alone, if the doubles survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Have 40 hoggets (replacement ewe lambs, not in lamb) 6 have gone lame in past week. No footrot or any sign of swelling or hot joints. Any idea if cause

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Agree Teagasc have done a study on this. I’m feeding only meal until ewes are housed this year.

That'll be interesting, are they on grass as well

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

I think this is a bargain in today’s market. Could bring the €210/€215 back on the lambs alone, if the doubles survive.

Ya maybe so...not a great year to be buying I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Have 40 hoggets (replacement ewe lambs, not in lamb) 6 have gone lame in past week. No footrot or any sign of swelling or hot joints. Any idea if cause

maybe early CODD could break out on side or top of shell on hoof, a few ml betabox might help it break out and treat with spray and bluestone that what i do

Dickie10 wrote: »
    maybe early CODD could break out on side or top of shell on hoof, a few ml betabox might help it break out and treat with spray and bluestone that what i do

Thanks, will keep a check on them, but no sign of anything around hoof. Checked them all before footbathing today

Thanks, will keep a check on them, but no sign of anything around hoof. Checked them all before footbathing today

what are you using in the footbath, it should solve it, the problem has to be between the hooves when you can see nothing further up, were they worse immediately after footbathing as they would be if there was a scald

what are you using in the footbath, it should solve it, the problem has to be between the hooves when you can see nothing further up, were they worse immediately after footbathing as they would be if there was a scald

Use bluestone. Put them into shed after footbathing. Didn't notice them any worse after footbathing . They are in a clean powerwashed pen. No bad smell . Will check tomorrow to see if they are worse

Use bluestone. Put them into shed after footbathing. Didn't notice them any worse after footbathing . They are in a clean powerwashed pen. No bad smell . Will check tomorrow to see if they are worse

It's usually in the first few minutes of stepping out that they're worst with scald, but they're alright after a couple hours, we used to have to drive them on the road after footbathing and we'd be ashamed of them when we'd meet a car, they'd be crippled...... but alright the next day, but that's the way with scalds.
    It'll be interesting to see what's causing them to be lame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I will be feeding smyths prime ewe from 6 weeks out they aren't lambing till April... I'm happy with there condition so far and have no lameness as there running thru footbaths twice a week.

It's usually in the first few minutes of stepping out that they're worst with scald, but they're alright after a couple hours, we used to have to drive them on the road after footbathing and we'd be ashamed of them when we'd meet a car, they'd be crippled...... but alright the next day, but that's the way with scalds.
    It'll be interesting to see what's causing them to be lame

No change in lameness. They are not very lame, just a slight limp.Will see in a few days

• Advertisement

Lambman wrote: »
    I will be feeding smyths prime ewe from 6 weeks out they aren't lambing till April... I'm happy with there condition so far and have no lameness as there running thru footbaths twice a week.

You shouldn't have to worry about minerals so, A mineral dose when the rams came out and then the minerals in 6 weeks ration should be plenty

Have 28 Belclare ewes lambing 15th March onwards and 42 hilltex lambs lambing 1st April onwards all in one field how much nuts/creep should I feed them ? Limited grass now and getting no silage. Already feeding 8/9kg lamb pellets a day.

That'll be interesting, are they on grass as well

Yes, in a 10 acre field but grass is scarce. They will get hay straw bed when inside.

Have 28 Belclare ewes lambing 15th March onwards and 42 hilltex lambs lambing 1st April onwards all in one field how much nuts/creep should I feed them ? Limited grass now and getting no silage. Already feeding 8/9kg lamb pellets a day.

I'm feeding .75 kg to adult ewes with doubles due 7th march, thats with only straw so you'd be alright with .4kg at the moment. mine will be built up to 1.3kg/day in three feeds by the first of march
    ewe lambs due 15 march are getting about the same, doubles in those are built up very slowly to as much as they can eat for the last fortnight,
    Between the fact that they are lleyns and the lambs are taking up a lot of room in their stomach, their appetites aren't huge, probably will only be eating .75kg /day in three feeds by then. It's not really enough but we start feeding them from scanning so that they're well built up before the lambs starts growing fast in them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

https://flic.kr/p/2kt3WwE

Have never seen this on a ewe before. Is it orf?? Just came on her yesterday.

Hope that link works

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    https://flic.kr/p/2kt3WwE

Have never seen this on a ewe before. Is it orf?? Just came on her yesterday.

Hope that link works

It's not orf, It looks like she's not able to eat properly and slobbering
    Is she stupid or blind, if she was it could be listeria from silage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm feeding .75 kg to adult ewes with doubles due 7th march, thats with only straw so you'd be alright with .4kg at the moment. mine will be built up to 1.3kg/day in three feeds by the first of march
    ewe lambs due 15 march are getting about the same, doubles in those are built up very slowly to as much as they can eat for the last fortnight,
    Between the fact that they are lleyns and the lambs are taking up a lot of room in their stomach, their appetites aren't huge, probably will only be eating .75kg /day in three feeds by then. It's not really enough but we start feeding them from scanning so that they're well built up before the lambs starts growing fast in them

Are you feeding the singles anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Silly question but anyone know if ewes sold as 'in lamb hoggets' are 2020 born sheep?

arctictree wrote: »
    Are you feeding the singles anything?

ewe lambs are getting the same as the doubles but won't be increasing.
    adult singles are on .5kg and will be up to .9kg with the straw by lambing, Triplets are getting .9kg now and will be over a kilo day by lambing. We find that they're not able to eat big amounts of meal near lambing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

It's not orf, It looks like she's not able to eat properly and slobbering
    Is she stupid or blind, if she was it could be listeria from silage

She's definitely not blind and no stupider than normal. I had thought it might be the ewe and lamb pellets congealed on her face if the trough was wet?.

Advertisement