Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Terrible penno, but looked like he'd have saved it in the corner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

3 very poor games today

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Irregardless of the ref Galway were so poor imo.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Reminder that personal abuse of players and officials is not acceptable forum behaviour - you can discuss performance without it crossing over to personal abuse

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Necro wrote:
    Irregardless of the ref Galway were so poor imo.

Terrible start, but the sub in the back line was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭munster87

Stoner wrote: »

Number 24? Played well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That 2nd goal by James Carr was incredible. That man had only one thing on his mind when he got that ball.

Galway were defending the space but he had no intention of passing to anyone other than the back of the net

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Stoner wrote:

Well look, at the end of the day Galway could have been level aside from that absolute cuck penalty taken.

And still I have my doubts if they'd have won it, forward play was really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

galway were terrible, over rated for years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Terrible penno, but looked like he'd have saved it in the corner too.

Why have a corner back taking penalties anyway, seems a strange decision, especially given all the talented Galway forwards we keep hearing about. Silke was having a poor game as well, always likely he'd miss it (it's a miss, some credit to Clarke, but a weak penalty).

Poor game, Mayo won in spite of themselves really. They won't care of course, but they were poor.

Joe McQuillan was shocking, his yellow card to was it Sean Andy after him being mauled by St Cillian of O'Conner and nothing for O'Conner was laughable,and AFAIK the only such incident like that all day that he didn't give a yellow to each player. But of course, Cillian can't be sent off,he's a star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Let's be honest, the AI is a better place with Mayo in it.

Galway supporters won't even support their team, pathetic again from them. Probably because the hurlers were playing. Oh wait.

That's a seriously tough group though, very hard to know who'll get out. I'd probably fancy Donegal and Mayo at the moment. Kerry could be caught cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

Why have a corner back taking penalties anyway, seems a strange decision, especially given all the talented Galway forwards we keep hearing about. Silke was having a poor game as well, always likely he'd miss it (it's a miss, some credit to Clarke, but a weak penalty).

Poor game, Mayo won in spite of themselves really. They won't care of course, but they were poor.

Joe McQuillan was shocking, his yellow card to was it Sean Andy after him being mauled by St Cillian of O'Conner and nothing for O'Conner was laughable,and AFAIK the only such incident like that all day that he didn't give a yellow to each player. But of course, Cillian can't be sent off,he's a star.

Shane Walsh should have been hitting that penalty. His ball striking off the ground was on point all day. As you said Silke was very poor and should never have been taking it. His confidence was very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Unfortunately for Kerry we're going to meet a seasoned team next wkend and I cant see us competing for long physically.

Very difficult to wipe slate clean and expect to compete with a team averaging about 22 yrs old.

However, this is how a team cuts its teeth and I'd expect some tough lessons this year, and next, we won't win anything in the future without these experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Paul Earley on co-commentary is painful....

However, this is how a team cuts its teeth and I'd expect some tough lessons this year, and next, we won't win anything in the future without these experiences.

Yeah but its shaping up nicely for outsiders

I enjoyed the Mayo Galway game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Yeah but its shaping up nicely for outsiders

I enjoyed the Mayo Galway game.

Same as. We'll travel and watch the matches anyway. What else wud you be at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I was at the game and the incident was almost level with us. Should have been 2nd yellow for O’Connor for instigating it with two shoves.

But it should have been a straight red for the Galway player - two digs to the head thrown.

When O’Connor is involved the blinkers seem to go on from everyone - not just referees

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You have to credit Mayo with resilience. Not even going to attempt to predict what might happen to them from this out!

Injuries still a negative and subs today were generally poor. Treacy was good against Armagh but was found out tonight.

That group really will be interesting. Mayo generally give Kerry a good game and their experience and hardihood could stand to them, as it did in league final.

(PS. I know he had a good game, but Cillian is really difficult to warm to!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

Unfortunately for Kerry we're going to meet a seasoned team next wkend and I cant see us competing for long physically.

Very difficult to wipe slate clean and expect to compete with a team averaging about 22 yrs old.

Yarra hopefully you can get 15 players out for it and keep the score close, maybe get a few autographs off the Mayo players after !!

Goanna outta that

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Olpiy

Is Peter Harte suspended for the Roscommon game after his black card today?
    Why wasn't he taken off long before the end as a precaution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

blackwhite wrote: »
    I was at the game and the incident was almost level with us. Should have been 2nd yellow for O’Connor for instigating it with two shoves.

But it should have been a straight red for the Galway player - two digs to the head thrown.

When O’Connor is involved the blinkers seem to go on from everyone - not just referees

Yea, that's how I saw it, started by O'Connor, reaction from the Galway lad, yellow for Galway lad, nothing for O'Connor, Galway free overturned and Mayo score from the turnover. No blinkers here, in my opinion O'Connor is one of the most cynical players in the game, and is often aided and abetted in this cynical behaviours by matey refs like Joe and Maurice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Yea, that's how I saw it, started by O'Connor, reaction from the Galway lad, yellow for Galway lad, nothing for O'Connor, Galway free overturned and Mayo score from the turnover. No blinkers here, in my opinion O'Connor is one of the most cynical players in the game, and is often aided and abetted in this cynical behaviours by matey refs like Joe and Maurice

A referee sending the message that punching him twice will only attract a yellow isn’t exactly helping him.

When it comes to O’Connor, his demeanour and past behaviour means that some people will blame him regardless of what actually happens - and will tie themselves in knots to downplay anything when O’Connor is the target.

Yeah so if you saw the Galway player strike another player irregardless of who they are it's a red card then not a yellow yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Olpiy wrote: »
    Is Peter Harte suspended for the Roscommon game after his black card today?
    Why wasn't he taken off long before the end as a precaution.

He is, timely suspension because he was likely to pick another up at some stage and miss a more important game.

He is another whose discipline is gone to sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Olpiy

Remind me wrote: »
    He is, timely suspension because he was likely to pick another up at some stage and miss a more important game.

The Roscommon game is their most important game in the Super 8's.
    Lose that and they'll have to beat Dublin to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,558 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

blackwhite wrote:
    A referee sending the message that punching him twice will only attract a yellow isn’t exactly helping him.
    When it comes to O’Connor, his demeanour and past behaviour means that some people will blame him regardless of what actually happens - and will tie themselves in knots to downplay anything when O’Connor is the target.
    A bit like the boy who cried wolf, he only has himself to blame for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Remind me wrote: »

Whatever about acculumating black-cards over a campaign, I wonder would introducing suspensions for reaching a threshold of yellows, like in soccer, reduce cynical play to a certain extent?

Say three yellow cards= one game ban. And if you get sent off on two yellows, you serve a one-game ban too. How many yellows are given to lads tactically fouling in their own half to disrupt momentum? You often see teams 'sharing the workload' in this regard. Imagine if a player was sitting on two yellows heading into an AI semi-final- he wouldn't be as quick to haul a fella down if a yellow meant possibly missing the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Slattsy wrote: »
    Let's be honest, the AI is a better place with Mayo in it.

Galway supporters won't even support their team, pathetic again from them. Probably because the hurlers were playing. Oh wait.

That's a seriously tough group though, very hard to know who'll get out. I'd probably fancy Donegal and Mayo at the moment. Kerry could be caught cold.
    Meath will beat Mayo, Galway are shocking. Armagh should have beat Mayo & they are poor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

risteard7 wrote: »
    Meath will beat Mayo

Have to get over Clare first who will be no push overs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

dobman88 wrote: »
    Have to get over Clare first who will be no push overs.

I know, but I think we really should if we've any ambition to progress

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement