Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

What a gig, bloody hell.......those guys can play!!!:cool: Happy with the setlist and loved the Holonet....really added another dimension to the show. Hopefully we don't have to way so long for a visit next time!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anyone know if it sold out? I imagine that'll be a significant factor in them coming back the next tour...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Well that was all types of epic. Fantastic setlist - even better than Belfast (with the exception of "Arriving ...." but you can't everything).

Sound was absolutely perfect.

What a night. :cool:

Glad all the Boards Wilson fans had an amazing night. As GLaDOS said, hopefully it sold well so we are included in future tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Anyone know if it sold out? I imagine that'll be a significant factor in them coming back the next tour...

Where I was sitting on the ground floor there were maybe three seats that no one was in but this may have been due to people not able to travel etc.

Great gig though, hopefully they will come back for the next tour. My only complaint was that I didn't get to hear Arriving somewhere but don't hate me was a good replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What an incredible show, a well oiled machine is what it was. Sound was huge, Home Invasion was just a steamroller.

Setlist was great, there's always something going on. Was initially disappointed at lack of Arriving Somewhere, but heard it live so the replacement was nice.

So happy to see Craig live in person. Wife thought the show was much better than expected too, that she would even see him again. Not that t was in doubt but anyway, at least she'll have earplugs ext time.

Glados, many thanks for the code. Our seats were incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was quite happy to have The Sound of Muzak on the setlist, didn't miss Arriving Somewhere. I would personally have liked to hear more from The Raven e.g. Luminol, Holy Drinker or The Pin Drop. I probably spoke to more other concert-goers than at any other gig I've been to - such was the level of cameraderie and good old-fashioned excitement at seeing SW here. I had to wear earplugs for the whole concert, though - far too loud right in front of a PA stack. I know Nick has been a bit ill and didn't look all that happy last night, but the other guys seemed to have a blast, especially new boy Alex.

I agree about Home Invasion / Regret #9 - knockout combo. Ancestral too.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

Fantastic gig, I went went high expectations and it was even better that I expected. Unbelievable musicians and sound. Great setlist and The sound of Musak was a great surprise. Hope he's back soon, the man is a genius

Today is the sort of day I wish he'd release mp3s/flac of each show, would love to listen to the songs live again.

Also, I'm claiming to have heard Voyage 34 live now

Mushy wrote: »
    Also, I'm claiming to have heard Voyage 34 live now

:pac: That was my mate shouting for that ....

He got roasted! Or was that a different guy for Anaesthetise?

• Advertisement

He got roasted! Or was that a different guy for Anaesthetise?

That was another mate of mine on the other side of the Olympia ... I will take great pleasure in taking the piss out of both of them about the time Steven Wilson put you both back in your box :pac:

It was also him that suggested he called his 63 Telecaster : "Dave" :)

Think ye were right next to me

RayCon wrote: »

Hopefully that will be the tour DVD/blue ray fantastic set

blackwave wrote: »

Hopefully that will be the tour DVD/blue ray fantastic set

Only the 3rd night was filmed, hence why that was the standard Setlist.

But that second night is incredible, hopefully get good audio of it

If you do , please share :cool:

If you do , please share :cool:

If I come across a bootleg, certainly will do. Was more thinking of special editions of the DVD release could have CD with bonus tracks

SW has posted a set of photos from the RAH concerts, here, with a few from the rehearsals too.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

What I’ve seen of the Home Invasion BD set has been slightly underwhelming so far, but this is much more like it: the song has a life of its own live:

• Advertisement

I've been listening to Storm Corrosion for the first time over the last couple of days, and I'm frankly annoyed that I didn't do this years ago. It's seriously good if, like me, your tastes include more mellow, ambient music. It reminds me a bit of Rain Tree Crow, another of my favourite albums in this area, with Gavin Harrison channeling Steve Jansen at times, it seemed. I can also hear echoes in SW's later work, e.g. the title track and the song Transience .

^ I love the Storm Corrosion album - it's a masterpiece. I consider myself very lucky to have seen Wilson and Akerfeldt perform Drag Ropes live at one of Wilson's Royal Albert Hall gigs in 2015. Magic :cool:

New album will seemingly be titled The Future Bites. No release date, but your dates announced today for next September. Only a few shows, but ambitious in size. London is at the o2, Nottingham is the motorpoint.

I imagine it'll be a huge production though. Prices range from £46 to £140 (some special bits and pieces for that ticket). Might try for a ticket at another time.

^ Looking at the Hamburg date for Sept 26th. Not sure what to expect from the new album .... have a fear it's leaning more towards Permanating style tunes .. if so, I'm going to be very underwhelmed.

^ Looking at the Hamburg date for Sept 26th. Not sure what to expect from the new album .... have a fear it's leaning more towards Permanating style tunes .. if so, I'm going to be very underwhelmed.

Yeah I feel it'll be a bit more "poppy" than normal, but I'd say more towards Perfect Life than Permanating. The recent No Man album might give a hint of the sound too.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Not sure what to make of this. Not for me this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_H0NO-Cyew

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Granadino wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of this. Not for me this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_H0NO-Cyew

reminiscent of 'voyage 34' and parts of 'up the downstair'

id have liked a bit more prominent electric guitar, but in all i like it.
    great headphone or driving song.

I like it. It goes by very fast too, wouldn't think its nearly 10 minutes. Elton John on it too

Yeah I am fan of it as well.

• Advertisement

I really like it.

Expected his new album to go in quite a poppy direction so no big surprise.

Advertisement