Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban myths people always pass off as 'true'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

That one about Bill Murray eating the girls chips then saying 'no one will ever believe you'

I really want this one to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Facebook will be charging soon or the copy and paste post on facebook about I don't authorise you to use my image or some such nonsense.

Always prefaced by "It sounds unlikely, but just in case...."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This one was mentioned on boards not so long ago as a true story:

Person buys biscuits/cake in cafe and sits down to eat them.

Another person sitting close to them suddenly starts eating their food without any explanation.

The first person gets angry and defiantly eats the food quickly - the other person looks confused and leaves.

After they leave the first person realises that their own cake/biscuits are still on table and that they had actually been eating the other person's food.

Radio show where person must reveal details of the sex they had with a partner (who has already spoken about it) - if the specific details match they win a prize.

When pushed for specifics, the first partner to speak specified that the sex was in the kitchen/shower/on washing machine, etc, but when the radio host say the second partner must be more specific to ensure their stories match and they are in fact telling the truth, the second partner (usually a woman) admits that it was actually anal sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There's another one about the student in (insert third level institution) who contracted scurvy because he only ate dried noodles so he could spend all his money on beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Not sure if this is an Urban Myth or not but nearly everyone i know claims to have an aunt or mother or sister that dated Phil Lynott :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Wizard! wrote: »
    The one with the introduction of potatoes to certain communities. Where nobody wanted the potatoes, until they secured them in a guarded silo. Then all of them where stolen during the night.

Actually true; Parmentier did this in France: he set armed troops around the experimental potato field, with instructions to take any bribes offered, and took the guards away at night. His grave in Père Lachaise used to be surrounded by potato plants, in memory of this, but the sourpusses that run the graveyard have now replaced them with bedding plants.
    I would be very surprised to hear that story (about xx leaving buggy on bus since "the dole will give me another") about a pole since they are all hard workers and sound

You think the others mentioned aren't? Point of the story is to sneer, not to be truthful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

That RTE turned down Father Ted so they went to Ch4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

The one about Gerry Adams never being in the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ronjo

osarusan wrote: »

Another person sitting close to them suddenly starts eating their food without any explanation.

The first person gets angry and defiantly eats the food quickly - the other person looks confused and leaves.

After they leave the first person realises that their own cake/biscuits are still on table and that they had actually been eating the other person's food.

Thats similar to a Jeffrey Archer short story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The one about Gerry Adams never being in the IRA.

Took till the 3rd page, you're getting slow boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

This kinda happened to me......

At a funeral of a family friend. He died young and the was a lot of people at the funeral. Back at the pub afterwards the man's wife said to me that they would be bringing platters of food out soon and to let her know when they came (she was outside smoking!) anyway, the table right beside mine got a platter and I picked up some of the food and began eating while I went outside to find her. 3 or 4 of my friends began tucking in to the sausages and chicken nuggets.
    Then she tells me that she only ordered sambos and the the platter we were munching on belonged to complete strangers! I still cringe thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Babysitter puts child to bed. Child is scared of life sized clown teddy in corner. Mother rings babysitter to check up. Babysitter says child is scared of clown teddy. Mother says that none exist and to get out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The one about the pet Snake sizing it's owner up for dinner

The one about the intruder in the house who kills the dog and leaves a message saying 'Humans can lick too'

The on where a serial killer disguises himself as a life size clown ( I think) doll and is found out when the babysitter calls the Father of the house to ask if she can move the doll as it is scaring her. Dad's says they have no such doll and to get out of the house quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The one about the asylum seeker leaving the buggy on the bus and saying 'ill get another one off the social'

Is this Adrian or Jeremy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Oh another one, someone heads out for the night, but halfway down the road they realise they forgot something. They go back to get it but because it's right inside the door or something they don't bother turning on the light, just grab it and go. Get back after the night out to a burgled flat and a note on the table saying 'you're fcuking lucky you didn't turn on the light'.

I would be very surprised to hear that story about a pole since they are all hard workers and sound

I had someone very earnestly tell me that story about a Polish woman around 2007. I think whoever the buggy lady is depends more on the prejudices of the story teller than anything else, to be fair.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The one about taking LSD and locking a goblin under the stairs. Turns out they abducted a kid with Down's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Swap food for pints and it could easily happen to a fella...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

i've read this 10 times and am still lost

what are you trying to say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The one about taking LSD and locking a goblin under the stairs. Turns out they abducted a kid with Down's.

The one I was heard was (insert random 3rd level college) student locks up a leprechaun in bathroom for his gold that turns out to be an angry dwarf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Polish eating swans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The one I was heard was (insert random 3rd level college) student locks up a leprechaun in bathroom for his gold that turns out to be an angry dwarf
    The one I heard was where some guy took shrooms at Electric Picnic and locked some child in his tent. He wouldn't let people into his tent because he said there was a leprechaun in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I first heard / read that biscuit story in a Douglas Adams book ... i can't remember which one ... might have been Hitchikers, or else Dirk Gently

Apparently, he based it on an actual event that happened to him ... https://theoldvillage.wordpress.com/2004/01/28/douglas-adams-shares-a-true-story/

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    i've read this 10 times and am still lost

what are you trying to say

Person A buys biscuits/cake in cafe and sits down to eat them.

Person B, who is sitting close to Person A, suddenly starts eating Person A's food without any explanation.

Person A gets angry and defiantly eats their own food quickly - Person B looks confused and leaves.

After Person B leaves person A realises that their own cake/biscuits are still on the table and that although they they thought they were eating their own food that they had bought, they had actually been eating person B's food, that person B had bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The one about the asylum seeker leaving the buggy on the bus and saying 'ill get another one off the social'

We actually studied this in sociology in College. As a premium example of our society can tarnish a class of people without any reason. The class thought it was hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Two school classics:

1) Did you hear of the fella in the next school up who got caught shagging a dog?

2) Did you hear of the girl who rides fellas for two fags and 50p?

Or some variation...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

This actually did happen to a friend of mine on a train. He was the angry, defiant party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Duggy747 wrote: »
    That a full moon causes people to go crazy / commit crimes.
    Actually that is apparently kind of true true but mainly with people that have dementia and the likes - my room mate used to work in a nursing home, and they had to take precautions for certain residents on nights with full moons. I do wonder how much of that was due to a placebo-like effect on those people though, having heard about full moons all their lives and no longer being in full control of their faculties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Or the one about the lad that goes into the cafe for coffee and cake.When asked which cake he would like,he asks for the pastry with the little chocolate button on top.
    He sits down and bites into the cake and into the chocolate button on top, and the other half of the chocolate button walks away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not sure if this is an Urban Myth or not but nearly everyone i know claims to have an aunt or mother or sister that dated Phil Lynott :)
    Famous black rock star in Dublin in the 1970s... they might all be telling the truth. The lad must`ve been pretty prolific! :pac:

Advertisement