Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban myths people always pass off as 'true'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

On a few occasions since 9/11, my mother or one of her friends have apparently noticed that African or Asian men had dropped their wallet/money on the street, and picked it up and handed it back to them.

As thanks, they told her not to fly on a particular date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Whatever happened to the cancer-causing mobile phone scare a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

Biddy from Glenroe and Bibi Baskin.

It happened to my friend. After pulling out of the petrol station a van started flashing it's lights behind her. It was 2 am and she freaked. She was heading home and the van kept following her and flashing the lights. Her house is down a country lane with no others and the van kept following her. She beeped her horn to alert her parents, parked the car and jumped out. The van was still following her. It turned out the van driver had seen the axe murderer jump in the back at the petrol station and was flashing his lights and following her to warn her he was in the back!!

Something similar happened to me. A van started following me out of a petrol and flashing its lights. I made a couple of detours and it was still following me. Eventually I shook him off and rested up for a while before going home relieved. As I got out of car, the horrible realisation dawned on me.
    I'd left the petrol tank door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

If everybody that missed the Titanic actually got on it, it would have sunk in Cork Harbour.

That would have been hard considering it never docked in cork harbour. Cobh now on the other hand.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Whatever happened to the cancer-causing mobile phone scare a few years back?

mate of mine has spent many years messing around with radio and microwave transmitters. is convinced he ll be riddled with cancer later in life. i think he could be right. the scare you mention hasnt gone away. all these microwave and radio transmitters around the place cant be good for us

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

That the immaculate conception relates to the conception of Christ by the holy spirit

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    mate of mine has spent many years messing around with radio and microwave transmitters. is convinced he ll be riddled with cancer later in life. i think he could be right. the scare you mention hasnt gone away. all these microwave and radio transmitters around the place cant be good for us

We'll see. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

"Throw it into me boss. You know your only massive"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

OMG! My friend was in town today and he went up to some foregin looking fella and said "Are you the 96FM fugitive?" and the guy like totally freaked out and lashed out at my friend and then he legged it down the street in like a total panic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

mapaca wrote: »
    That people put "Baby on Board" stickers on their cars in case of an accident, to let paramedics know to look for a baby in the car. Not true!

Nope indeed, those stickers are for idiots that want to tell the world they are fertile.

There's a baby in this car so please drive carefully, but cars with older kids or adults in them - yeah feel free to drive like a fu*king maniac ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

The one where the house was broken into and a few valuables taken, but nothing else major stolen or trashed, so family continue living as normal. A few days later the dad gets the film from his camera developed and spots a few photos showing each of the family's toothbrushes shoved up someone's anus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I really want this one to be true!

Wouldn't surprise me with Bill Murray :D

Nope indeed, those stickers are for idiots that want to tell the world they are fertile.

There's a baby in this car so please drive carefully, but cars with older kids or adults in them - yeah feel free to drive like a fu*king maniac ...

Amazing that people believe this sh*t, even when you point out that paramedics aren't idiots relying on the presence of a 3'' sticker (that's attached to a rear window which may smashed to smithereens anyway)

They still don't twig that it's a novelty accessory with variations like "Little Princess on Board" or "Little Man-U Fan on Board"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I came across a clown with one of those stickers yesterday, I only noticed the sticker as the clown drove through a junction crossing the main road without stopping or looking :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

chewed wrote: »
    The one where the house was broken into and a few valuables taken, but nothing else major stolen or trashed, so family continue living as normal. A few days later the dad gets the film from his camera developed and spots a few photos showing each of the family's toothbrushes shoved up someone's anus!

A bloke I used to work with used to burgle around Surrey but mainly Chertsey. All to supplement his income as a teenager. Some of the stuff they did was just depraved, totally unnecessary and such an insult to injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

I was at a U2 concert and Bono was giving the speech about how every time he claps his hands a child in Africa dies. It was really quiet as everyone was listening and my friend yelled out "Well stop clapping your hands then"!!

It was so funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Vomiting on your exam paper gets you an A in the leaving cert.

Also exam question :

"bravest thing you've ever done"?

"This"

Got an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sure RTE were offered father ted and they said it was sh1t and then they went to channel 4

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Vomiting on your exam paper gets you an A in the leaving cert.

Also exam question :

"bravest thing you've ever done"?

"This"

Got an A.

Writing your exam number correctly gets you points. My friend put a Fiver in between the pages for the examiner and got an A.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Taking LSD and the guys kills himself because he thinks he's an orange and tries to peel himself.

Germany wear a green away kit because Ireland were the first team to play them after WW2.
    Socrates studied medicine in Dublin and played Sigerson for UCD and got rejected by Shels/Bohs/Pats when he asked for a trial.

Taking LSD and the guys kills himself because he thinks he's an orange and tries to peel himself.

He should have felt like a banana and split!

I'll get my coat I'll make like a tree and leaf :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

If you eat enough green smarties you'll grow women's tits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

A Friend of mine bought a cactus home from south American...after a few weeks it start to vibrate..they rang a florist and told them the type..was told it was a vibrating cactus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Writing your exam number correctly gets you points. My friend put a Fiver in between the pages for the examiner and got an A.

I had a teacher who did correcting for Irish in the Leaving Cert. He had plenty of stories about finding money, but it didn't sway him. He also found someone's cheat notes, needless to say they failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

discus wrote: »
    A bloke I used to work with used to burgle around Surrey but mainly Chertsey. All to supplement his income as a teenager. Some of the stuff they did was just depraved, totally unnecessary and such an insult to injury.

I'm intrigued now! Maybe that could be a new AH thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

osarusan wrote: »
    Radio show where person must reveal details of the sex they had with a partner (who has already spoken about it) - if the specific details match they win a prize.

When pushed for specifics, the first partner to speak specified that the sex was in the kitchen/shower/on washing machine, etc, but when the radio host say the second partner must be more specific to ensure their stories match and they are in fact telling the truth, the second partner (usually a woman) admits that it was actually anal sex.
    Actually did happen, though it wasn't a radio show (that appears to have been a rewrite of the original incident)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The one about the guy knocking one out in the bath, he gets out and his mom gets in the same water after. 9 months later she has a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

wawaman wrote: »
    That would have been hard considering it never docked in cork harbour. Cobh now on the other hand.....

Cobh is in Cork Harbour, but the strange thing is the ship never entered Cork harbour, but lay anchor outside Roches Point.
    People were brought by small boat from Cobh to the ship, instead.

Advertisement