Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Between the Declan Rice debacle and John Delaney in general, I can't understand why anyone in Ireland follows soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

dregin wrote: »
    Between the Declan Rice debacle and John Delaney in general, I can't understand why anyone in Ireland follows soccer.

Sadism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

BuJo is the best burger in Dublin.

Fight me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Fight me.

Better than wowburger?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Can anyone put there explain Bridget and Eamonn to me? Anyone? I just don’t understand it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Fight me.

It's very good. It's no Bunsen. Wow Burger is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

molloyjh wrote: »
    Can anyone put there explain Bridget and Eamonn to me? Anyone? I just don’t understand it at all.

It's a spin off of a republic of telly skit, supposed to be an exaggeration of a typical Irish family in the 80s.

But like republic of telly, and most RTE comedy stuff, it's absolutely sh1te.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The sketches on Republic of Telly were good, I enjoyed them.

The first series was grand. Not brilliant, not terrible, had a few laughs, and justified them getting a series.

The second series wasn't good though and had no laughs from what I remember. They should have ended it then but it's somehow made it to series 4.

If you look at the television forum on here though you can see no one is talking about it, not even to call it bad. So I can't imagine the viewer numbers are any good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

errlloyd wrote: »

Bunsen is ok-good. It's got a decent burger, not top notch, but decent - but it's customer policy of not accepting reservations means they can go **** themselves. I walk in, be told to **** off for 40 minutes while a table clears, after having called 40 minutes earlier and being told no I can't reserve a table? I get why they do it, but my time is more important than their money, so they can go and ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No problem there, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Apparently the generator hostel in smithfield does a savage burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

mfceiling wrote: »

It did, once upon a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

mfceiling wrote: »

The conference dinner I'm going to in a few weeks is on in the Generator. I was baffled when I read that. The conference is in UCD. Who books a hostel for a conference dinner?

troyzer wrote: »
    The conference dinner I'm going to in a few weeks is on in the Generator. I was baffled when I read that. The conference is in UCD. Who books a hostel for a conference dinner?

It’s a very cheap venue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

errlloyd wrote: »

I get Bridget and Eamon more than I get Bunsen. The burger is bang average, like something you’d get on a chip van in the RDS, the menu choice is similar too. The BS about making people queue, even when there are clearly empty tables inside, emperors new clothes.

I definitely wouldn't consider Bunsen something you'd get from a chipper van. That title goes to Five Guys. Completely overpriced rubbish.

stephen_n wrote: »
    I get Bridget and Eamon more than I get Bunsen. The burger is bang average, like something you’d get on a chip van in the RDS, the menu choice is similar too. The BS about making people queue, even when there are clearly empty tables inside, emperors new clothes.

I can’t believe you went to a real Bunsen!

I can’t believe you went to a real Bunsen!

I live beside one, watch all the sheep queuing up outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I live beside one, watch all the sheep queuing up outside.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. Went a while back and it was grand. I've genuinely had nicer burgers from chip vans in years gone by. Couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There is loads of places in Dublin to get a nice Burger.

Bunsen would personally be my favourite

Wowburger is good not great.

The Counter is one of the best in my opinion also. Brilliant burgers in there.

Eddie Rockets is also one I always have a soft spot for

Five Guys is home to the most awful ****e. Seriously overpriced for the Burger you get and a fiver for a handful of truly awful chips.

Another soulless American corporation trying to shoehorn out some Irish owned businesses. I hope they don't last.

I think they’re all good and I hope they all have a lovely fun time making people happy with their lovely burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

IBF's account has been hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

All this talk of burgers gives me a craving for Burger Fuel (a kiwi burger chain). They are so good.

There used to be a good burger joint in Ranelagh when I first moved here about 10 years ago. Can't remember it's name but I was depressed when it closed.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Burgers are bad for you lads.

The best thing about Bunsen is the bun. Everything else is average. The actual burger itself is slightly below average. I find it quite dry. I’d rate Wow burger above it, and that’s not much more than fine. Box Burger all the way for me.

That said, give me a good pizza over a good burger any day. Platform in Bray has some cracking ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The best thing about Bunsen is the bun. Everything else is average. The actual burger itself is slightly below average. I find it quite dry. I’d rate Wow burger above it, and that’s not much more than fine. Box Burger all the way for me.

That said, give me a good pizza over a good burger any day. Platform in Bray has some cracking ones.

You find it dry? The one criticism I'd have about Bunsen is it can be overly greasy sometimes. I know that's where the flavour is though ha

I do love me a Pizza too.

Paulies Pizza in Beggars Bush is unbelievable.

I was skeptical of all the hype it was getting before I tried it so I went with an open mind.

It really is excellent.

I tried Dough Bros in Galway too which has a proper cult status and rightly so. It is delicious.

Can't beat Base for a takeaway IMO either.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    All this talk of burgers gives me a craving for Burger Fuel (a kiwi burger chain). They are so good.

There used to be a good burger joint in Ranelagh when I first moved here about 10 years ago. Can't remember it's name but I was depressed when it closed.

Gourmet burger?

Had the boneless chicken wings one the other night, if you haven't tried that one, save yourself the time, very disappointing. In general though by far the best pizza place I know.

The Bunsen burger is the best quality meat of any Dublin “burger joint”. From the LADS.

Anyone who doesn’t think it’s good is probably a very bad person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Big Mac with bacon.. FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's almost as if most of these places have multiple locations with different settings and chefs which would lead to customers having different experiences and opinions!
    Yeah_Right wrote: »

I recall Fergburger was great back in the day. But I'm not sure now if it was really that good or it was just good because it was prior to the great Irish burger explosion of 2011.

Buer wrote: »
    It's almost as if most of these places have multiple locations with different settings and chefs which would lead to customers having different experiences and opinions!

I recall Fergburger was great back in the day. But I'm not sure now if it was really that good or it was just good because it was prior to the great Irish burger explosion of 2011.

the fregbaker beside it is savage. you get a great pie there and the scones are great too. anything to avoid the ridiculous queues for a burger

The Bunsen burger is the best quality meat of any Dublin “burger joint”. From the LADS.

Anyone who doesn’t think it’s good is probably a very bad person

Recall the search party folks, IBF has retaken his account. Good to have you back man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭OldRio

A wild left of centre thought but cooking your own food is cheaper healthier and much better tasting than shop bought crap.
    Give it a try. Practice makes perfect.

You find it dry? The one criticism I'd have about Bunsen is it can be overly greasy sometimes. I know that's where the flavour is though ha

Yeah, I find the outside of the burger greasy, with the inside being dry. A bad combo. Have had a few from a couple of different outlets.

OldRio wrote: »
    A wild left of centre thought but cooking your own food is cheaper healthier and much better tasting than shop bought crap.

I've gotten into the habit of cooking my own burgers recently. I'd make about 6 at once. Freeze them all and defrost as I go. Very cheap and taste like absolute garbage the odd time when I put in way too much salt and tabasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah. I still sometimes will go get burgers out(particularly like burgerstory at the sparch in galway) but make my own a fair bit
    and i make top class ones as well which helps...
    get decent quality meat from butcher and its better than anything in a restuarant.

Yeah. I still sometimes will go get burgers out(particularly like burgerstory at the sparch in galway) but make my own a fair bit
    and i make top class ones as well which helps...
    get decent quality meat from butcher and its better than anything in a restuarant.

You forgot to mention your kind Free Burgers for Boardsies idea.

Yeah, my wife has a gluten intolerance so I’ve had to learn how to make spelt pizza bases from scratch. I’d never bothered making my own based before that. Nothing beats getting food you love just right. A good homemade roast on a Sunday tops heading out anywhere too.

Try Worcester Sauce in your mince mix.

Also home made pizza is so easy. Make your base first, plenty of recipes online. Dead easy. Then make your sauce. Mix Passata sauce with a load of minced garlic. Lots of garlic.
    Add fresh basil. Lots of the stuff. Must be fresh. Simmer for 10 minutes and rest it.
    Prep your topping.
    Role out your dough after the correct time. Add sauce onto dough and then topping. Into hot oven for about 10 mins.
    Serve with Cianto Classico. Look for any with a Cockeral on the bottle.

• Advertisement

Also home made pizza is so easy. Make your base first, plenty of recipes online. Dead easy. Then make your sauce. Mix Passata sauce with a load of minced garlic. Lots of garlic.
    Add fresh basil. Lots of the stuff. Must be fresh. Simmer for 10 minutes and rest it.
    Prep your topping.
    Role out your dough after the correct time. Add sauce onto dough and then topping. Into hot oven for about 10 mins.

Haha, I agree on the lots of garlic front. If you’re ever making anything from a recipe you always need to at least double the amount of garlic. I don’t get stinginess with garlic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Prep your topping.

I make batches of sauce during the summer as tomatoes ripen. A mix of San Marzano and various cherry varieties - much sweeter than the normal sauce and makes delicious pizza . Chop in herbs and garlic, bale in oven for 40 minutes and blitz with a blender. Freeze it down into portions for the winter. Delicious!

Get the oven as hot as it will go, I find 7 minutes is perfect, but I like my base on the thin side, I hate doughy pizza.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,862 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Haha, I agree on the lots of garlic front. If you’re ever making anything from a recipe you always need to at least double the amount of garlic. I don’t get stinginess with garlic.

nothing as bad as the pong of someone radiating garlic off themselves !!!!

The two aren’t mutually exclusive, you can cook at home regularly and eat out sometimes too.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive, you can cook at home regularly and eat out sometimes too.

I agree, but 'eating out' IMHO is not pizza or burgers.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's vagina, am I right?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The buns in Bunsen are utter crap, but still my favourite burger.

dregin wrote: »
    The buns in Bunsen are utter crap, but still my favourite burger.

Finally a man of taste

awec wrote: »
    It's vagina, am I right?

Finally a man of taste

• Advertisement

I try to eat as clean as possible 80% of the time, so for me eating out can be exactly that some times. I just want a big greasy burger.

Mind you I regret it afterwards more often than not as i feel like crap, but sure hey it's good going in. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement