Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyslexia

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Rew wrote:
    Yeah I found LOTR impossible.

Strangely enough, I managed. But at the same time, I was reading a lot of Terry Pratchett, so I had to tackle a lot of mind-jorbbling words, so trying to work my head around them, and make repeated attempts at pronounciation just because the thing to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I was only abot 12 or 13 when I gave it a go. Got i to Terry Prachet in my mid teens. Great books, big fan of the Guards series my self.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

*Page* wrote:
    hee hee "HERMY" for short!!!

Harry Potter books best thing ever to happen to me.. they got me really interested in reading!

i found that the more i read, and i mean with two books
    book a= the novel
    book b= dictionary

the more i learn, even now i sit downing doing homework with my daughter and i can see the signs in her(by the by both my parents are dyslexic.

Trying to imagine what a printed page looks like to someone with dyslexia - would the dictionary not be an absolute nightmare with all those similar words grouped together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Trying to imagine what a printed page looks like to someone with dyslexia - would the dictionary not be an absolute nightmare with all those similar words grouped together?

Not necessarily. My reading level isn't affected by my dyslexia unless I'm tired and even then its only a minor thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Skank

Evil Phil wrote:
    Not necessarily. My reading level isn't affected by my dyslexia .

Mine is ! But it seems to be more on peaper then on a computer screen and writeing out stuff from the board in class was a night mare takes twice as long or even been told a number over the phone i always get it rong , its a strange , diassability cause it affects some people very differently then others .

Ive a friend whos a drumer , and hes got a,d,d which i also have thankfull its miner but if u saw him in class hes always in another world but him at his drums and hes about as insic with a metronomb as you can get , its ameazing the way dislexics can take there hand to one thing and for some reson , they just look stright into it and work real well..

Page My friend in collage went to this place in , Mancheaster , and he said it was amezing and he lernt loads of exersises that help him do u want me to pm u details ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My uncle is dyslexic, and says that he finds reading white text on a black background far easier than black text on a white background. I do too, but I'm not dyslexic. Skank - perhaps try the Cloud scheme and see how it is for you -
    From the menu at the top, choose "boards.ie", then "Change Styles" then click "Cloud".

seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Dictionaries are a killer but from years of practice and hours over conversations,they dohelped.

When I was younger I got and address book, and to every page I put the word I didn't understand when reading. And got the dictionary looked it up and put down its meaning. This little book helped allot. Then when I go to do things like write a story (my favourite past time) I either use on-line spell check or if my word isn’t understood I check the dictionary.

But I do have to confess. I tend to use words I know I can. If I can’t spell something I will try to re word it so I can put in a word I do know, that has similar but not exact meaning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

*Page* wrote:
    But I do have to confess. I tend to use words I know I can. If I can’t spell something I will try to re word it so I can put in a word I do know, that has similar but not exact meaning.

I do the same, predictive text is a life saver in SMS's but I still mange to confound it some times :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement