Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexia

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Skank

why would you want to hold a conversation in words, and then get upset when someone says you need to make more effort?

wanna make that essyer to understand for me plz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Skank wrote:
    i dont have spell checker on my computer
    http://www.openoffice.org/
    This is free and has a spellchecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Skank wrote:
    wanna make that essyer to understand for me plz ?

you claim youre dyslexic.
    dont make me think youre stupid.

if you cant spell, why would you want to hold a conversation in words, and then get upset when someone says you need to make more effort?

because im not you , and because my mam was told she will never have kids when she broke her back , because i can i will who are you to question me do i question u ?, do i try to make my sel;f sound so intelegent? or do i no i am and me noing i am is better then haveing to prove i am ?,
    were as you have something to prove i aint got **** to prove un like your self who seems to think you have something to prove bye catching me out bye the way i read your posts , u were obvously very intelegent in school , does that meen you are intelegent about real life situations ?or do u close up and think you rite automaticly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've always wondered about dyslexia myself, i.e. if I suffer or am affect by it. Is there different levels of it, i.e. like mild to sever dyslexia ?

Yes, I have mild dyslexia which affects my writing and spelling. My reading skills are unaffected. My language skills are appalling - it's extremely difficult for me to learn a new language and I'll never be bilingual. Happily I'm excellent at math and as such work in Software Development. I reckon half the people (at least!) in SD are dyslexic to some degree and its openly excepted in the SD community.

Spelling in my posts has many different solutions. I can use a word processor to spell check, but I usually just cut and paste from http://www.editplus.com which has spell check functionality. Dahamasta has also developed a vbulletin tag plug-in thingy for editplus. I can dig up the link if anybody wants it. Finally I'm using Firefox with a Websters search engine in the toolbar. Its handy for quick spell checks.

I can relate to *Page*'s frustration and I was under the impression that it was quite rude to point out other peoples spelling mistakes online. While the post she refers to was very difficult to read that poster did make an effort after this was pointed out to them - still I thought they did get a bit too much abuse for not making an effort.

But for *Page*: Do you think that you teachers' bullying may have made your dyslexia worse? I was speaking recently to somebody who works with children, she told me that happy kids are never dyslexic. A primary school teacher friend of mine found this to be very interesting as she'd noticed the same thing.

I've also noticed that after a decade of spell check useage my own spelling has improved remarkably.

You'll also see the Edited by Evil Phil thing in a lot of my posts :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

*Page* wrote:
    I just read another PI thread and what it was, was crule!

Yes, and I'm sure that was the thread I replied in you're complaining about. I was complaining about the lack of paragraphs in someone's post, this has NOTHING at all to do with dyslexia. Dyslexia does not stop someone pressing Enter every couple of sentences so the whole thing is easier to read. I didn't pick on anyone's spelling, or grammar, only the fact there were no paragraphs.

I have genuine sympathy (that probably isn't the right word, but it's the closest I can think of) for people with dyslexia. It must be difficult dealing with people and doing things others consider easy. However... I do not think people should use it as a crutch. Don't refer to your dyslexia as the reason for something when it's absolutely unrelated.

"Your argument doesn't make sense" - shut up I have dyslexia
    "Use paragraphs, one block of text is hard to read" - shut up I have dyslexia

That won't help you in the long run. I'm not saying you (page) do that, but I've known people with dyslexia that do, and people with dyslexia have done it here before. If it's a genuine problem for certain things, like with spelling as you can imagine, then that's fair enough, but don't use it as an excuse when people criticise you for unrelated things. Dyslexia shouldn't be a blanket statement you can use to stop people saying anything negative to you.

(Hope all that makes sense, it did in my brain anyway)

koneko wrote:

"Your argument doesn't make sense" - shut up I have dyslexia
    "Use paragraphs, one block of text is hard to read" - shut up I have dyslexia

Koneko.

translating post by WWMAN since March '05.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

sorry for not getting back, been stuck in a file room.

I know at the start(when i was very p!issed) i picked out a few people that made comment, the thing is it's not just you! it's so many people.

a teacher made me stand from 9:30 in the morning till 3pm because i had spelt my B's D's and K's backwards in my homework. i can read things backwards and understand it..

remeber those spy files and you had to turn the page upside down and read it in the mirror?
    well thats how i read some times. it can be all upside down. i failed one of my exams in my leaving cert because i had wrote everything backwards the examiner must have thought i was taking the p!ss(which i wasn't.) when i had re read it it looked perfect to me.

I just think that we all should be more aware. some people don't even know that they have it.

my boyfriend left school when he was 12-3 because he wouldnt do any writen homework/classwork and he just caused trouble. it turned out that he's severly dyslexic. we are helping each other through it, but thats what you need. a suport group, a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Are there actaully any support groups in Ireland for dyslexics?

Skank wrote:
    because im not you , and because my mam was told she will never have kids when she broke her back , because i can i will who are you to question me do i question u ?, do i try to make my sel;f sound so intelegent? or do i no i am and me noing i am is better then haveing to prove i am ?,
    were as you have something to prove i aint got **** to prove un like your self who seems to think you have something to prove bye catching me out bye the way i read your posts , u were obvously very intelegent in school , does that meen you are intelegent about real life situations ?or do u close up and think you rite automaticly ?

i dont think im correct automatically, hence why i generally tend to qualify with an 'i think' or in my opinion' part.
    because thats what they are. not wrong or right. just my opinion.

im not trying to catch you out. again, thats your mind, not mine. nor do i say or even intimate that i am better than you, or anyone. i often say i have more experience than many poeople, but not that i ma better than tham. i think i am equal to every single person here.

i have no idea what you are saying about the difference between intelligence and commen sense, but youre right. they are not the same thing. although im not sure what lack of common sense i have shown.

• Advertisement

suport groups no not really.
    none that i've heard of, some adult education try's to help but your only able if you are unemployed ect.

http://www.dyslexia.ie/ << They originally diagnosed my dyslexia and probably can help put people in touch with a support group. I also know they help with additional tuition both for adults and children. Maybe they can put you in touch with a support group, if not I'm sure they'll help you set one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm... I can sympathise, as I've had a lot of trouble in school because I was dyslexic, especially from some very ignorant teachers. Nobody recognised it, and certainly it made an impact on my life. But the thing is, I've put a lot of effort into reading, spelling and always trying to increase my vocabulary, and it's certainly payed off. It takes me a good while to read a book, but you'd hardly know I had any problems from reading my posts.

I do often have to open dictionary.com while posting, but I always put in an effort, because if it's worth posting about, it's worth posting clearly.

Furthermore, seeing as when I attempted reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I always thought it was Ford 'Perfect' only finding out that it was actually Prefect later on. I simply wasn't able to make the distinction, no matter how many times I read the world, untill someone actually pointed it out to me.

Anyway, with that in mind, just how hard do you think it is for someone with dyslexia to actually read posts like this:
    omg hi 4 smerh jogle 2 4 6 3s blurt lolololo;op!1!!1!!1oneoneone

Or some such "txt spk" gobbledy-gook?

So while I do sympathise, I fully back up anyone who tells off someone who uses incomprehensible text speak.

Thank you.

Furthermore, seeing as when I attempted reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I always thought it was Ford 'Perfect' only finding out that it was actually Prefect later on..
    hehehe.
    so i wasnt the only one :)

Not by a long shot WWM :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

LOL, funny how it effects us alll so differently yet we all made the same mistake. Generally Iv never let it affect me and just kept going. My LC wasn't great but I have a 2.1 BSc degree and hopefully Ill have a MSc (research) shortly. College didn't really care about dyslexia when I started but its a compleatly different story these days for anyone stating out. I had to wait for the Harry Potter movies to find out whatthe girls name really is ;)

Generally I run words through google if im stuck but 90% of the time I just dont see the mistakes unless I come back to the post later or somebody quotes it. I impress my self with the way i uasally confound the Word spell checker :)

A careers guidence councillor (who had a dyslexic son) told me it was a lable people hide behind and it didn't really exist. He's lucky that I wasn't a bit older and wiser at the time, if it was now or I'd pull him over the desk and make sure he lost his job, he retired about 6 mths later anyway.

Rew wrote:
    I had to wait for the Harry Potter movies to find out whatthe girls name really is ;)

rofl.

yeah, i thought it was herme-onee

there about the only books i can read , and sebrial its the words and there spaceing i tried to read loard of the rings but just founf it faustrating , is the hitch hickers guide to the galexy any good and esy to read ?

Yeah I found LOTR impossible. All Roald Dahl's stuff got me reading when I was a kid, great books. I read all 4 of the Hitch Hikers books. There easy enough going but dont expect them to make sense in the end. :)

rofl.

yeah, i thought it was herme-onee

hee hee "HERMY" for short!!!

Harry Potter books best thing ever to happen to me.. they got me really interested in reading!

i found that the more i read, and i mean with two books
    book a= the novel
    book b= dictionary

the more i learn, even now i sit downing doing homework with my daughter and i can see the signs in her(by the by both my parents are dyslexic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Rew wrote:
    Yeah I found LOTR impossible.

Strangely enough, I managed. But at the same time, I was reading a lot of Terry Pratchett, so I had to tackle a lot of mind-jorbbling words, so trying to work my head around them, and make repeated attempts at pronounciation just because the thing to do.

I was only abot 12 or 13 when I gave it a go. Got i to Terry Prachet in my mid teens. Great books, big fan of the Guards series my self.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

*Page* wrote:
    hee hee "HERMY" for short!!!

Harry Potter books best thing ever to happen to me.. they got me really interested in reading!

i found that the more i read, and i mean with two books
    book a= the novel
    book b= dictionary

the more i learn, even now i sit downing doing homework with my daughter and i can see the signs in her(by the by both my parents are dyslexic.

Trying to imagine what a printed page looks like to someone with dyslexia - would the dictionary not be an absolute nightmare with all those similar words grouped together?

Trying to imagine what a printed page looks like to someone with dyslexia - would the dictionary not be an absolute nightmare with all those similar words grouped together?

Not necessarily. My reading level isn't affected by my dyslexia unless I'm tired and even then its only a minor thing.

Evil Phil wrote:
    Not necessarily. My reading level isn't affected by my dyslexia .

Mine is ! But it seems to be more on peaper then on a computer screen and writeing out stuff from the board in class was a night mare takes twice as long or even been told a number over the phone i always get it rong , its a strange , diassability cause it affects some people very differently then others .

Ive a friend whos a drumer , and hes got a,d,d which i also have thankfull its miner but if u saw him in class hes always in another world but him at his drums and hes about as insic with a metronomb as you can get , its ameazing the way dislexics can take there hand to one thing and for some reson , they just look stright into it and work real well..

Page My friend in collage went to this place in , Mancheaster , and he said it was amezing and he lernt loads of exersises that help him do u want me to pm u details ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My uncle is dyslexic, and says that he finds reading white text on a black background far easier than black text on a white background. I do too, but I'm not dyslexic. Skank - perhaps try the Cloud scheme and see how it is for you -
    From the menu at the top, choose "boards.ie", then "Change Styles" then click "Cloud".

seamus

Dictionaries are a killer but from years of practice and hours over conversations,they dohelped.

When I was younger I got and address book, and to every page I put the word I didn't understand when reading. And got the dictionary looked it up and put down its meaning. This little book helped allot. Then when I go to do things like write a story (my favourite past time) I either use on-line spell check or if my word isn’t understood I check the dictionary.

But I do have to confess. I tend to use words I know I can. If I can’t spell something I will try to re word it so I can put in a word I do know, that has similar but not exact meaning.

*Page* wrote:
    But I do have to confess. I tend to use words I know I can. If I can’t spell something I will try to re word it so I can put in a word I do know, that has similar but not exact meaning.

I do the same, predictive text is a life saver in SMS's but I still mange to confound it some times :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement