Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexia

Options
  • 11-03-2005 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Now I have had enough, I was bullied as a child by teachers until i was found to have dyslexia. I got sh!t from my peers and sh!t of nerds on-line. :mad:

I just read another PI thread and what it was, was crule!

do any of you know how badly a person can be affected by dyslexia?

do any of you know that if a person has a reading age of a 7 year their wrighting ablity isn't far off!!

do you expect a 7 year old to know when and where full stops and paragraphs are ment to go?

to know the correct way use of grammer?

no you dont. now for me i have a comprehention of a 7 year old reading ablity of a 7 year old and my iq is adverage!
    i am excelent at maths but strugle at english, the reading and writing of it!
    now i try my best to get things right but when you are concentrating on your spelling, grammer sometimes gets lost.

if as i think ***** or ***** said its laziness and it p!sses them off when people use dyslexia as an excuse

well sorry to burst your bubble but if dyslexia has nothing to do with grammer and punctuation how is it that you can get exemtions in your junior
    cert and leaving cert in grammer(inclusive of punctuation) and spelling if you are dyslexic??

here is some information ....

dyslexcia
    Approximately 1 in 10 people have some form of dyslexia and it is the world's most common learning difficulty.

So whilst many individuals feel they are alone in their frustration, this is far from reality.

Many children and adults have problems with reading, writing, spelling, short term memory, concentration and organizational skills.

These difficulties can lead to intense frustration and low self esteem.

There are many definitions of dyslexia, based on different theories. BrightStar’s technology is based on a particular theoretical interpretation, namely that the causes of dyslexia stem from a neurological condition that affects at least three primary areas of brain activity.

This interpretation is supported by much of the current research into the condition.

Due to these neurological problems, the dyslexic brain may have difficulty with words, sounds and movements, affecting the ease with which a person can read, write, spell and concentrate. All these symptoms that can significantly limit a person’s potential in school, work, and life.

Reading is a particularly difficult task that most people take for granted. While the brain has designated areas for functions like speech and motion, there is no one area devoted to reading. As a result, reading requires the coordination of many different areas of the brain.

Most of the symptoms of Dyslexia appear during school years, but may not be noticed or diagnosed. Therefore, Dyslexia can cause even the brightest child extreme frustration and disappointment in school. Ultimately, a child with dyslexia can lose their self-confidence and “tune out” from academics, reading, and writing altogether.

try this site!
    http://www.iamdyslexic.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

I've always wondered about dyslexia myself, ie if I suffer or am affect by it. Is there different levels of it, ie like mild to sever dyslexia ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

page
    please do not come in here to complain and flame other posters, if you do not like a post you can "report this post" or PM a moderator.

I have edited your thread accordingly as I will not tolorate anything other than helpful advice on this forum.
    I am also inclined to move this to Humanities as you have not asked for advice on this subject - which btw - I believe there was a huge thread on this same subject some time back.
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

there is it can go from spelling errors to completly unable to string a sentance to gether(read it or write it)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

if as i think ******* or ******** said its laziness and it p!sses them off when people use dyslexia as an excuse
    I think what they were mostly referring to was the existence of spell checkers and grammar checkers on computers. There's no real excuse for a post littered with poor spelling and grammar, other than laziness. Run it through a checker first and it'll fix most of it for you, and will only add about 20 seconds onto the time it takes to write one.

Particularly if you are dyslexic, then you should have no problem making a conscious effort to correct your spelling.

this is a personnel issues for me and for others.. on here, i just thought that the majority should know about it.people come on to PI and rant about their sex lives and there girlfriends, why cant i say what i have to say about my dyslexia??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

this is a forum for giving advice to a particular question

what is yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭MistressPandora

A lot of people suffer from dyslexia, but like everything else, it's something that has to be dealt with. I suffer from a hearing problem, and I usually have to give instructions to everyone I meet, such as talk directly to my face, speak up and probably repeat what was said about 8 or 9 times (in some cases). It's not laziness, but like dyslexia, I get a lot of grief over it in school, teachers would often think that I wasn't paying attention and pull me up for not listening.
    If it helps in any way, nobody is perfect, we all have something that we have to struggle with. That's what you get for mutating genetically from monkeys.

Beruthiel wrote:
    this is a forum for giving advice to a particular question

what is yours?

do you expect a 7 year old to know when and where full stops and paragraphs are ment to go?

or to know the correct way use of grammer?

did you know that some sever cases of dyslexia have people at the reading age of a 7 year old?

and i have more q's

@*Page*

There all good questions. but why are you or you seem to be very angry about this ?

but my main question is on the SH!T that gets throw at member on here by other members!
    why should i take sh!t frm people that don't understand(yet claim to suffer from it themselves) my problem. are ignorint enough not to even try to understand

• Advertisement

read they thread help.. or maybe the sh!t i've taken before has been built up! i read the help thead and was disgusted by the behavour of certain members and mods but these certain members and mods do it all the time and get away with it!!!
    this is what makes me angry

*Page* wrote:
    but my main question is on the SH!T that gets throw at member on here by other members!
    why should i take sh!t frm people that don't understand(yet claim to suffer from it themselves) my problem. are ignorint enough not to even try to understand
    1. Most of the people who will comment on your posts, don't know you from Adam, and therefore don't know you're dyslexic. Would you prefer if your tagline was changed to "dyslexic" so everyone would know?
    2. As I pointed out above, it's a fair argument to say that if you don't even make an attempt to correct your posts, then that's just pure laziness. What's the point in trying to communicate if people can't understand you correctly?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

or to know the correct way use of grammer?

Questions they are but how do you propose that people answer them?

The best I could come up with are, yes and it depends on the 7 year old.

I apologise in advance and I'm not trying to be flippant but you do seem to be just making a (valid) statement.

I think everybody excepts that dyslexia is a big problem, so what is your point?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yo dont appear to have any problme with using paragraphs, general spelling or any other grammatical problems in any of your other posts. in fact, i cant recall even seeing a spelling mistake, except in thei post.

are you trying to prove a point, or have a rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Your first post makes perfect sense. Obviously you put the effort in to make it readable. Fair play to you. Alot of people don't bother to do this, dyslexic or not. That's what písses some posters (myself included) off.

Who is your anger directed towards? Me? I've recently given out to someone for their lack of paragraphs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With regard to the use of spellcheckers, what is your problem with that? I am useless and I do mean utterly useless at any form of mathematics. Basically I run out of ability when i run out of fingers. I use a calculator. That's what it's for. If you're shortsighted you wear glasses. All tools to compensate for different abilities. Why is a spellchecker any different for dyslexics?

I appreciate your frustration but it does sound like a rant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

seamus these people did know that the person was dyslexic now they may not have known i was but on certain ocasions i have been pulled up on miss spellings(by the way if your dyslexic you maynot know that you've made a mistake!)and have said sorry i'm dyslexic and then i change it, but then i get greef because i'm "Blaming dyslexia for laziness"

A solution might be to open a word processor with spellchecker in the background. Then copy and paste from that to the post reply box in your browser. Longwinded I grant you, but it would help.

Wibbs wrote:
    A solution might be to open a word processor with spellchecker in the background. Then copy and paste from that to the post reply box in your browser. Longwinded I grant you, but it would help.

I do that, if I'm not sure of a word I just google it.

yo dont appear to have any problme with using paragraphs, general spelling or any other grammatical problems in any of your other posts. in fact, i cant recall even seeing a spelling mistake, except in thei post.

are you trying to prove a point, or have a rant?

i have sat with a dictionary open and put a fair amout of concentration into geting every little word right!

i'm trying to open eyes!there are no points to be proven. points are just like opinions. Dyslexica is a big problem and confedence is a large factor too.
    if you go around hurling abuse to people who have prior to your post told you that they are infact dyslexic, you are SMASHING ther confedence which makes there next post less understandable

• Advertisement

yes you could use word but would you for a short sentence? i don't think so. i've come very far with my learning disbility and i have put countless hours into learning more. i dont want my children burdened because mommy cant help them with their homework!

but in everday life word isnt there,trying to jot a quick note or if god forbid your pc is broken what then? revert back to getting abuse because there is a problem with our wirering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

*Page* wrote:
    i have sat with a dictionary open and put a fair amout of concentration into geting every little word right!

i'm trying to open eyes!there are no points to be proven. points are just like opinions. Dyslexica is a big problem and confedence is a large factor too.
    if you go around hurling abuse to people who have prior to your post told you that they are infact dyslexic, you are SMASHING ther confedence which makes there next post less understandable

some people are dyslexic, others are stupid. Some posters on Boards do not seem to even have a basic grasp of the English language. It can be excruiating at times trying to decipher posts in which there is not even a nod given to grammar or sentence construction. Either these posters are masters of the stream of consciousness school of writing or they just can't write.

all posts will contain typos and grammitical errors (I'm sure there are some in here), but some are just p*ss poor.

You're dyslexic... fine. How am i supposed to know that if you don't tell me. If you don't tell me then, for all i know you're stupid and can't spell, or are actually 7 years old. I have no problem with dyslexics, and i certainly wouldn't go about hurling abuse at them. However, if some moron is posting rubbish or can't interpret the posts of other's due to stupidity, I don't have to put up with that, and i will criticise them if I so choose.

*Page* wrote:

use a spell checker or just google. its what i do. or dictionary.com

while i think you have an absolutely valid point, and i dont think anyone here is making fun, poking at, or generally being insulting to anyone with dyslexia here, i do think you have to understand, that the medium through which you are communicating here, is through words.

while i commend anyone with dyslexia for coming on to a web site and chatting away, there is a difference between making an ewffort to make your posts readable, and understandable, and just being lazy. as several people have said.

every makes spelling mistakes. i make them in every post. they may mean more to you than they do to me, but that unfortunately, is your cross to bare.

but that does not mean that you should be able to not use a simple 'entre' key to create a paragraph. that does not mean you cannot make a simple comprehensable sentence. if you cannot do that, then i dont think anyone has the right to come onto a word based medium and demand equality.

the simple courtesy of putting down your thoughts (as mumbled as they often are) in a legable way is what this place is about. if the majority of people cant understand that, the only person who sufferes is the poster. because we have all seen dyslexia, we all know about it, and know what it is. we all appreacite that you may miss a word, that you wont always get a full stop, but i think theres a big difference between having dyslexia, and not making an effort. i mean, we've had a poster on today who (claims) doesnt differenceiate between 'no' and 'know'. that is incredibaly hard to read, and i think if people have a problem about what you write, then you need to be told. we are not an all encomassing hippy commune here. im not your friend, and i dont have to put up with leet or txt speech when im trying to hold a conversation.

after all, i dont come up to you in a bar and talk to you in a language you dont understand.

*Page* wrote:
    but in everday life word isnt there,trying to jot a quick note or if god forbid your pc is broken what then? revert back to getting abuse because there is a problem with our wirering?
    Now you're getting off topic. Who's going to give out about what you've written by hand? If an adult handed me a note that was very poorly spelled, I'd immediately assume that they were dyslexic. That turns upside-down on the net - a) I have no idea if you're young/old/male/female, and b) Most of the poor spelling and grammar on the net *is* just pure laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Skank

After reading this and trying to formulate some sort of answer for you guys , which is bye no meens essey , but il give it my best .

Ok this was my life bullied from 1rst class threw to 2nd yr . due to some of which would have had been strongly affected , bye well dyslexia , i was tested 9 times for it , and was only found , when i was in 2nd yr , third yr i did every exam oraly , and still barely made a pass in every subject some of witch were foundation , what im trying to say is ,

i think may be you should ask your self if you were dislexic would you make an effort not matter how hard you try , and still get spellings rong would you , except the same sort of greif that we get of you ? i dont think you would so why should we ?

and you wouldnt like the grief we receve the jokes such as www.lernhowtospell.com have you ever been the conflict of a disability ?

and how would you feel ? how would you all feel ?

i dout you would like it very much at all ..

Now this is were it gets tricky , why should we bother to make an effort when you dont bother to except a diasbilty ? ..

Page were booth dislexic we booth understand were where comeing from ,and i can undestand there side , but shore these people really need to
    well stop being so critical about there lives and the spelling of a word ..Yes its anoying we put up with there malarky and many others but shore what the hell were trying to get a bit of understanding ..

Ps i have read all the post i think you people should really look at your attudes , as maybe you might notice something that you in turn are being bullys for not trying to understand us and just excepting it all as lies .

Sorry Page, of course I just meant using a dictionary when posting stuff on the interweb. In everyday life I can see how it's a huge problem for you.

You mentioned that while your reading writing skills are bad, you're mathematical ability is higher than average. I have the opposite problem regarding my mathematics/numeric skills. I'm not joking when I say that it's almost as severe as your dyslexia. I could read and write to a high standard by the time I was 3yrs old, but to this day I can't manage simple addition or subtraction that a 10yr old would find childsplay.

I wouldn't worry too much about your kids. At the very least they'll be good at maths. If I ever do have kids, I hope the buggers will have patience enough to teach me how to count.

We're all "wierdos" one way or another :) I figure if I can understand somebody's post then well and good. I don't have any problem with yours BTW. Now as for the paragraph issue with some people...........;)

Anyway you've got some pretty distinguished company

http://www.dyslexia.com/qafame.htm

Skank wrote:
    Ps i have read all the post i think you people should really look at your attudes , as maybe you might notice something that you in turn are being bullys for not trying to understand us and just excepting it all as lies .
    You see, it's not so much that we don't make enough of an effort. Certainly, I'll do my best to try and understand someone's post, whatever it's like, but if it's ridiculously hard from the outset, I'll give up, and it's not my fault. It's not your fault either, but as WWM says, it's like speaking a different language to someone and then complaining when they can't understand you.

Your post there for example - did you run it through a spellchecker. The post was readable, but a spellchecker would have fixed most of the mistakes, and wouldn't have taken much effort.

Your real enemy is the silent posters. At least if someone is critcising your post, they're reading it. Most of the time, I'll just ignore a badly formatted and spelled post, and not read what the person has to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Skank

seamus wrote:
    You see, it's not so much that we don't make enough of an effort. Certainly, I'll do my best to try and understand someone's post, whatever it's like, but if it's ridiculously hard from the outset, I'll give up, and it's not my fault. It's not your fault either, but as WWM says, it's like speaking a different language to someone and then complaining when they can't understand you.

Your post there for example - did you run it through a spellchecker. The post was readable, but a spellchecker would have fixed most of the mistakes, and wouldn't have taken much effort.

Your real enemy is the silent posters. At least if someone is critcising your post, they're reading it. Most of the time, I'll just ignore a badly formatted and spelled post, and not read what the person has to say.

mate that post just tock 45 minite to rite as my brain works so fast that i get about 6 words ahead of my self as for mathaamatics im brutal im not ciriulam automated but my visual perception and my hand eye cowardination would be that of a sniper to but it essyist i have faster reflexs and i meen fast but take it
    to writing a paragraph and getting spelling correct takes us so much longer to do that is are point it is booth unfair and hard for us to write a post thats perffect evey time and takes 45 minite to post it impracticle ....i dont have spell checker on my computer it has internet browesr msn messenger and pro tools and reson and mc afee to keep them bugs out and adobe as i work on pictures all day long

• Advertisement

Skank wrote:
    After reading this and trying to formulate some sort of answer for you guys , which is bye no means easy , but I’ll give it my best .

Ok this was my life bullied from 1rst class threw to 2nd yr . due to some of which would have had been strongly affected , bye well dyslexia , i was tested 9 times for it , and was only found , when i was in 2nd yr , third yr i did every exam orally , and still barely made a pass in every subject some of witch were foundation , what im trying to say is ,

i think may be you should ask your self if you were dyslexic would you make an effort not matter how hard you try , and still get spellings wrong would you , except the same sort of grief that we get of you ? i don’t think you would so why should we ?

and you wouldn’t like the grief we receive the jokes such as www.lernhowtospell.com have you ever been the conflict of a disability ?

and how would you feel ? how would you all feel ?

i doubt you would like it very much at all ..

Now this is were it gets tricky, why should we bother to make an effort when you dont bother to except a disability ? ..

Page were booth dyslexic we booth understand were where coming from ,and i can understand there side , but shore these people really need to
    well stop being so critical about there lives and the spelling of a word ..Yes its annoying we put up with there malarkey and many others but shore what the hell were trying to get a bit of understanding..

Ps i have read all the post i think you people should really look at your attitudes, as maybe you might notice something that you in turn are being bullies for not trying to understand us and just excepting it all as lies.

three seconds in a spellchecker.
    but shore these people really need to
    well stop being so critical about there lives and the spelling of a word

but thats just it. no one here is being critical about spelling.
    no one here is pointing at you and shouting 'hahahaha, youre a looser'
    not a single person.

but i cant sing. so i dont entre singing contests.
    i cant play football, so im not playing for man utd.
    i cant fly, so i dont try and fly planes.
    im not good enough at maths, so im not a scientist.

if you cant spell, why would you want to hold a conversation in words, and then get upset when someone says you need to make more effort?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement