Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Or if you valued your time at 20€/hr are you getting it back from it?

it’s partly a hobby/interest too I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Fair play for coming on and giving your opinion Phil. I would have been critical as to why you kept so much vintage stuff before but can see you have a plan now to build a bit of an attraction with the farm shop etc so can see the reasoning. I have a few questions:

1: For the Dairy to Beef enterprise is all feed homegrown?.

2: Is there any part of the contracting business etc that you particularily dislike?.

3: Do your family mind being on youtube?.

4: How long did it take for you to build a bit of a following on Youtube? Were you plugging away a long while before it picked up momentum?.

5: Would be very interested in a video on what kit you use and how you edit the videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@farmerphil135 do you notice much of a difference in terms of finishing cattle on the peat in comparison to slats? Also, do you have mats on your slats?

You seem to be working on mostly flat land but as you do a lot of machine work have you ever had any close calls with machinery in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNiTuxIYvQ Very informative video for anyone into sheep. Really enjoying this lads videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've been watching him for a while and his videos are interesting. I particularly enjoyed this one from last week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKiZ7YqcMIg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭farmerphil135

yes and a good bit along with it but thats only counting the hours editing 12 videos a month at roughly 2.5 hours a video not including filming as i havent a clue how to add that up as i film around working.

as some people were pointing out why do i bother make time to video what im at if im soo busy, thats why, ive built my channel to the point where it provides me with a good income which has allowed me to buy the 3690 and the big square baler and going forward itll allow me to invest in the farm and the machinery much like what tom Pemberton has done in the last year or so.

this year is the 1st year we dont have to buy maize meal or a balancing ration, only the biscuit meal so other than the biscuit meal all feed is grown on the farm

i love the contracting but the 2 jobs i dont like are agitating and rolling grain both slow tedious jobs like watching paint dry

no not really but i think that it comes down to the old saying whats good for the goose is good for the gander

ive been 6 and half years making videos on youtube, i have over 600 videos on youtube, i spent the 1st 3 years chasing my tail basically at nothing until i got a go pro then it started to take off and i started to learn more about filming and editing to hone the craft and grow my audience. there is a huge difference between my current videos and my early videos.

ill keep that in mind going forward👍️

yes weve found the cattle on the slats cant be beat when it comes to avdwg, we put it down to the fact that we often bed the cattle on the peat with straw to stretch the load of peat and that the cattle eat most of the straw, we are going to be putting the straw blower going to see if it makes a difference as the cattle shouldnt be able to eat as much of the straw

no mats we looked into it and most people complained of cattle being dirty as some of the rubber mats for the slats leave a narrower gap in the slate for the slurry to get through

ive had the odd slide or runt into fencing or what not but never anything that could of been a total rite off. tho my father lost the jag on a hill and slid down into a hedge but got it out handy and didnt do any damage, years ago when the 699 was on the pipes they were spreading a step hillside when the 699 took off down the hill went about 100 yards before enough pipe was behind it to swing her round and stop her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

A personal business question which you don’t have to answer Phil

but what did the bank manager say to you when you first borrowed money off the back of the income from YouTube?

was is something they had came across before?

keep up the good work though, it’ll pay back eventually

im home farming with my parents 8 years now and spent the 1st 5yrs working hard in poor facilities to be able to afford concrete and steel

done a lot in the last 3 years and don’t regret any of the hard work gone in to get it ( that’s a lie, some days you’d be sick of it but overall happy out)

no bank or lender will even consider lending me money off the back of my YouTube earnings because they don’t view it as secure income. I think I’ve tried them all.

fair play I know the feeling. I’m 5 years at home now. This winter I’m hoping to

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Phil.Any interest in a 21 spline pto shaft for the 3690,I think we have one around here somewhere

Yes once it’s a 21 spline 1000 speed. We have a 21 spline 540 speed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Loads of fans in our house phil. Love the cattle work myself but the kids love the machinery end of it and especially the Massey.

Did you ever think of doing a video on the butchering of one of the cattle for your shop and the carcass being broke down into the different cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Hi @farmerphil135 . I recently got a drone and have started putting up a few videos to chronicle what I'm at. No intentions yet of doing commentry or anything for the moment as I work full time off farm and have enough going on. Can you recommend a good editing software? I find the free one on windows tediously slow but does the job for the few videos I've done so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Next problem is to find it,our workshop would closely resemble your one 12 months ago.we have no use for it but we did buy 1000 6 spline. We ll start looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

@farmerphil135 does that farmer strip graze those big paddocks?

Would you consider installing a swinging jib and electric hoist in the workshop? Would save having to bring over the teleporter.

Have you thought about having a stand at some agri shows next year, Tullamore or the ploughing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

@farmerphil135 have ye ever got extra contract work out of the YouTube channel?

Also, do all those horned cattle give much trouble, be it injuring other bulls or even having trouble feeding at the diagonal barriers or getting stuck?

A bit of advice to farming youtubers, cut to the chase

There is good knowledge out there for any system be it sheep, dairy, beef or tillage.

Cut to the chase, do shorter videos and over edit

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭youllbemine

I agree. The video length is creeping up and up across the board. I'd say average video is 20 mins now. @farmerphil135 videos are still entertaining at the length they are. But risk losing viewers I reckon due to the time commitment. A lot of viewers like myself would follow 4/5/6 youtubers religiously and it takes 2 hours to watch all the content that's being uploaded. So either the videos get shorter or youtubers get dropped 😬

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Click on settings, then up the speed to 2x or 1.5 if you want to hear some of it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

thanks

it is a video i would like to do but i dont think my butcher would be on for it and also im pretty sure it could violate youtubes policy for graphic content.

I movies is hard bet, simple and straight forward and will do nearly everything ive needed it to do but you need a mac to have it. i used to use vegas pro 14 and it could do far more than i ever needed but was a bit cumbersome and let me down more times.

also top tip on growing a channel is consistency of uploads, having a schedule so people know when to expect a video but it does put on the pressure to have something to show

i think the right term for what they do is block graze. good few of the farmers we work for have gone to block grazing

no i dont think so its just as handy to bring over the teleporter than spend the money on a hoist

ive thought about it and no its not my kind of thing. you may see me at someone elses stand doing a meet and great or similar but ill not be doing a grassmen on it

i have yes a few handy jobs nothing major but a good bit of the time its someone asking how far am i wiling to travel😂 best one was someone wondering would i go to limerick to pipe😂 tho weve had issues with other people/contractors spreading rumors about what ive said/shown in videos trying to take work from us

yes and no, we avoid putting the ones with the largest horns in the locking barriers as they can be troublesome and in the bottom shed the drinkers are outside through holes and weve to keep one blocked off as the hole is too small, apart from the odd sore eye never had an bull id call injured from a horn. we do have to be carefull when working them in the crush

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@farmerphil135 - remembering back to when you and 'bro' were moving some calves and he let a couple past him - "Ah bro, you're breaking me heart" is now a phrase me and brother use when one or the other fncks up. All in stitches watching that one - we've all let one get by at one stage or another and incurred the wrath of all around :D.

So what is your favourite video that you done?

What happens with the cattle with horns - were they missed at debudding stage or did the debudding not work? Would you not dehorn to prevent injury or other issues at the fattening stage in the pens - or would you be concerned about them failing for a while?

the reason for videos getting longer and longer is due to youtubes algorithms as youtube promotes longer videos with longer watch times . the sweet spot seems to be 20-25 mins tho longer videos will do just as well view wise but will have a lower viewer duration, tho videos under 20 mins will get less views and under 15 mins 9 times out of 10 is a disaster for views.

on this point a while back i mentioned in a video how i seen my views drop off a bit and others views also and ye brought it up here. since then my audience retention has went from 38%- 46% to 52%-59% and its not because my content is any more interesting😂ive talked to some other youtubers and theyve seen the same. im pretty certain its done to youtube changing its algorithm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭straight

Just watched the workshop video there. Ur a hard man keeping the owl lad out till 10 o clock and he hanging for a cup of tae.

😂😂 tough one, drone footage of the 3690 gets me every time but i think the video of loading the combine is my favourite yet

basically it boils down not enough time to do them all. last year we dehorned a shed in a day and the stress of it on the calves caused us so much grief. lost quite a few and had too many get sick, we asked our vet about it and he basically told us dont dehorn them, i can also see it in my stats that the mortality and sickness rate is higher in calves that are dehorned. thats why were not to bothered about it and also if you think were doing something majorly wrong you can watch a video of how we do it.

I know but some of the needless footage of backing in to pick up trailers etc.

The good ideas are the best, learned knowledge that can help others, tips around animal welfare, fencing, machinery

• Advertisement

video needs to be 8 mins to be monetised and the longer the videos are the better the views tend to be

Advertisement