Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumia 930

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

Picked up a Lumia 930 in Carphone warehouse for €430 unlocked which is an extremely good price considering Expansys is selling them for €584 and it came with a free wireless charger

Go get!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Any evidence of Surface been cheap? No its pricey, simple.
    And yeah there's evidence of low end tablets a couple of new OEMs coming on stream, tablets and phones. MS just wanted to destroy Nokia as a brand that's quite evident now.

But you said that Nadella was only interested in low end tablets. I was asking how could this be, given that they are making the surface.
    There is, of course, plenty of new OEMs coming out with low end hardware, but not MS. I know you're pissed about Nokia being broken up, but they did not buy it for the Asha and dumb business, so no reason to keep those alive. They probably could have spun them off though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

PaulieC wrote: »
    But you said that Nadella was only interested in low end tablets. I was asking how could this be, given that they are making the surface.
    There is, of course, plenty of new OEMs coming out with low end hardware, but not MS. I know you're pissed about Nokia being broken up, but they did not buy it for the Asha and dumb business, so no reason to keep those alive. They probably could have spun them off though

MS bought Nokia to destroy it simple as.Not bothered at all by the way.Im just not blinkered like some are as to what the future is.
    Have had many an argument in other forums regards what nadella is doing,this should of been done years ago,before the Nokia acquisition.
    Nadella is clearly not focused on mobile at all,WP does not have great prospects right now,anyone that had considered moving to WP will not.

WP is still behind as regards to stupid lottery updates,again nokia guilty of this,sill launch plans,staggered launches,stupid exclusivity deals especially with the USA when several years ago the USA did not give a flying fcuk about nokia.

The only hope for MS now is that they fix all this,updates roll out faster,ensure apps are updated quicker,globally launch phones,not release them regionally.

The 930 will not be the success it was meant to be 3 months from announcement to launch and at that the problems,the availability etc.

I think MS have improved greatly with the regularity of their updates, creating a simple way for folks to bypass the carriers. Might have a look at the 930 myself, the 1020 is starting to overheat every time I use it.

Regular? Far from it ,months to release cyan,months to get it out to everyone,this is a big issue for most.
    The 930 is a nice device but has its issues,suppose any new device can to be fair,it will be the last flagship for a while.

Regular? Far from it ,months to release cyan,months to get it out to everyone,this is a big issue for most.
    The 930 is a nice device but has its issues,suppose any new device can to be fair,it will be the last flagship for a while.

Cyan is a Nokia release. I was talking about the ms updates. At least from now on there will be only one set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Cyan is a Nokia release. I was talking about the ms updates. At least from now on there will be only one set

Maybe only one set. There will likely still be the generic OS update that works for every manufacturer and then the hardware manufacturer specific ones.

Future Lumia models should hopefully be one and the same (similar to Nexus Android phones), but you never know.

Cyan is a Nokia release. I was talking about the ms updates. At least from now on there will be only one set[/QUOTE

Lumia Cyan is the third firmware update from Nokia's mobile division, now owned by Microsoft.

Cyan is a Nokia release. I was talking about the ms updates. At least from now on there will be only one set[/QUOTE

Lumia Cyan is the third firmware update from Nokia's mobile division, now owned by Microsoft.

I know that (see my first sentence). Cyan was in development before the deal went through and it was similar to past Nokia-only updates (Amber etc.). There were over and above the GDR updates were pushing out, hence the differentiation.
    My point was that now that there won't be separate MS and Nokia updates. And that MS have found a good way of getting around the carriers for delivering updates to those that want them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The Developer Preview is brilliant. O2 are brutal for updates normally. The top few phones get them, everything else gets left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

The icon shouldn't have happened, A worldwide release of 930 was better, again this exclusivity bull crap has ruined things.
    The 930 has also issue's, purple hue and overheating, it's launch plan has been canceled in some regions.

I've heard purple hue can be a problem on AMOLED displays in general, this is not a nokia 930 specific issue. Besides, I have the 930 for 4 days now and I haven't noticed any purple hue or overheating. It's a bit warm when you first take it off the wireless charger but it cools down after about 2 seconds. It is a wireless charger issue and not related to the phone. Charging through USB does not generate heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's terrible news across the board.

But those of you that bought the 930, how do you find it?

I'm liking it so far...very fast, excellent screen. The volume on the phone is great too. Im also really liking the extra icons I can put on the home screen. Battery life is fine. Im not so sure about the camera, I think the 920's camera was better.

Absolutely love it. Very slick. Was also pleasantly surprised with the apps, I was expecting tumbleweed with the amount of negative press. Camera is fantastic and comes with great photo and video editing apps.

wrt40 wrote: »
    I've heard purple hue can be a problem on AMOLED displays in general, this is not a nokia 930 specific issue. Besides, I have the 930 for 4 days now and I haven't noticed any purple hue or overheating. It's a bit warm when you first take it off the wireless charger but it cools down after about 2 seconds. It is a wireless charger issue and not related to the phone. Charging through USB does not generate heat.

Its not a wireless charger issue its a hardwear issue.

• Advertisement

Its not a wireless charger issue its a hardwear issue.

Well wireless charging is known to generate a bit of heat, across all devices including Android. It gets criticised because you lose a lot of the power through heat and essentially costs more to charge it than it would via usb.

But fair enough, you have inside information on another overheating issue. Do you have a link? If there's a flaw I'd like to know as this phone cost me a lot of money. But I have to say I am not experiencing any issues with the phone at all, no overheating (other than wireless charging) and no purple hue.

wrt40 wrote: »
    Well wireless charging is known to generate a bit of heat, across all devices including Android. It gets criticised because you lose a lot of the power through heat and essentially costs more to charge it than it would via usb.

But fair enough, you have inside information on another overheating issue. Do you have a link? If there's a flaw I'd like to know as this phone cost me a lot of money. But I have to say I am not experiencing any issues with the phone at all, no overheating (other than wireless charging) and no purple hue.

I dont have inside info,some are saying the coil maybe in issue in some regions,excessive use can cause overheating and depending how hard you push the processor,charging can cause overheating too,it will take several battery cycles for the battery to settle,there also has been an update released the other day or you can try a reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Just for anyone who's interested there's a post on bargain alerts saying this is 430 sim free on Carphone Warehouse

Don't want/need/can't validate one for myself but anyone who wants one it might work out cheaper than get stung in the 2 year contracts which seem to be standard now!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057255104

It's cheaper to buy sim free. Go for the CPW option before they are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Just for arguments sake, thinking out loud here.....

With eMobile, Unlimited Calls+Texts+5gbData(4G):
    Phone cost:49
    6mnts * €24:144
    18mnt * €39:702
    Total:895

Sim free:
    Phone cost:430
    Similar Plan(48):24mnts*€20:480
    Total:910

So, eMobile works out cheaper but ties you into a 2year contract. But its 4G data, though there might be deals out there for the sim free version.
    With eMobile you don't have to outlay 430, but you need to be an eircom customer to get this deal(Use Parents/Relation number like some have done but check consequences)

Someone check the maths, I'm just doing this on the phone...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

It's cheaper to buy sim free. Go for the CPW option before they are gone.

Dumb question, do you know if it would be possible to buy it and then use a 3 sim card? I'm not sure if any OS updates in the future might be affected by the sim I'm using..

lulzordan wrote: »
    Dumb question, do you know if it would be possible to buy it and then use a 3 sim card? I'm not sure if any OS updates in the future might be affected by the sim I'm using..

This should work fine. The software version on the phone shows the carrier CV GBIE which is a generic version for Ireland and this will be upgraded irrespective of what sim you have in the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Griffinx wrote: »
    This should work fine. The software version on the phone shows the carrier CV GBIE which is a generic version for Ireland and this will be upgraded irrespective of what sim you have in the phone.

I can confirm this. Newer phones, especially running 8.1, have no issue with picking up the right network settings.

Also, when you buy a SIM free phone, it's unlocked so it must allow any SIM from any network.

lulzordan wrote: »

You will be fine :) I test several phones and sim regularly no probs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'll probably get this if I stay with Windows phone, contract is up next April. Guardian gave it a great review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Got mine yesterday. Screen is perfect, and although the phone did get hot when setting up and syncing my accounts (while charging wirelessly), it is nothing worse than I have experienced on other handsets (iPhones, Samsung and HTCs).

So far so good. It is a really nice piece of hardware. I was already a Windows Os convert, but this hand set suits it much better than my previous smaller screen.

• Administrators Posts: 54,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone found a place with the colours available?

awec wrote: »
    Anyone found a place with the colours available?

Nowhere is offering all colours not even CPW,the only place now is online im afraid.
    The MS store is asking for bonkers money for it and i dont understand why its just crazy.

Try handtec uk or Clove they would be the best to deal with,have used them both always a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭midger

Are the back colour covers interchangeable?

midger wrote: »
    Are the back colour covers interchangeable?

Sadly not.

• Advertisement

Anybody know of shops in Dublin that have one out for demo?

Would love to know how it fits in the hand.

Anybody know of shops in Dublin that have one out for demo?

Would love to know how it fits in the hand.

Meteor in liffey valley has one

Saw one in real life today for the first time. Not as big as I thought it would be.

Tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Meteor in liffey valley has one

Isnt this part of the problem with windows phone - trying to get your hands on one in a shop.

Similar with MS Surface - only available in Harvey Norman and p. poor display compared to Apple in general

There is plenty of 930s around and Harvey Norman are not the only one selling the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Down South wrote: »
    Isnt this part of the problem with windows phone - trying to get your hands on one in a shop.

Similar with MS Surface - only available in Harvey Norman and p. poor display compared to Apple in general
    Really:confused:
    disagree totally tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

bidiots wrote: »
    Really:confused:
    disagree totally tbh.

Three mobile phone shops in my town. None of them promoting wp and have never seen them in a window display. Ive dealt with two of them and never encouraged to look at a wp phone. None have a 930 in stock.

Surface display in Harvey Norman in Waterford is pretty poor. Ive never bought a Mac pc, pro or air bit their presentation in stores in HN and Dixons always more attractive.

Only my view. Have used a windows phone for 3 years and surface pro for one. None of my friends or colleagues have either or even shown much of an interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,932 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

May get my hands on a few of these in a week or so as we're looking to refresh the Ativ S's we currently have.

Will be interesting to see if I prefer it to the 1320 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Had a look at one yesterday in the meteor shop in Stephens Green. Seemed like a nice build, wasn't on though, so couldn't check the screen out.

• Advertisement

Don't get me started. Every meteor shop I went to had it locked into an anti theft clamp. I asked one shop if they had one I could actually pick up...she seemed baffled that I wasn't happy with the one in the clamp.
    I had to point out that the clamp was ontop of the power button, so the phone was in a constant state of turning itself off and on!

I'm sure I'll buy it but I just wanted to sds how it would fit in my hand.

Don't get me started. Every meteor shop I went to had it locked into an anti theft clamp. I asked one shop if they had one I could actually pick up...she seemed baffled that I wasn't happy with the one in the clamp.
    I had to point out that the clamp was ontop of the power button, so the phone was in a constant state of turning itself off and on!

I'm sure I'll buy it but I just wanted to sds how it would fit in my hand.

True that looks like a feckin octopus over it lol..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Vodafone stores have them on display, the Surface has been available in PCWorld for a long tome and have quite well put together displays, I find Harvey Norman do a bad job of displaying any product.

liamog wrote: »
    Vodafone stores have them on display, the Surface has been available in PCWorld for a long tome and have quite well put together displays, I find Harvey Norman do a bad job of displaying any product.

The only ones I found in the Vodafone stores was the fake dummy phones and even then, it couldn't give an accurate idea of how it sat in the hand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I think my 930 is going to have to go back :( the on screen interference caused when using edge is doing my head in, thought I could live with it but it turns out I end up on edge often enough. Kinda ****ty since it's otherwise a great phone that I'd be more than happy to keep, back to my trusty 920 so not the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I asked about the 930 in a CPW the other and if they had one I could see. The guy didnt know what I was talking about so I said the one you have the poster about over there.. still none the wiser. He eventually found one in the store room and popped it out of the box for me. Size wise it looks fine to me a bit bigger than my 925 but nothing massive. Not sure if I would upgrade just yet though as the 925 is still very capable.

But I think this shows one of the biggest problems WP faces. Sales staff that just dont know what they are selling, nor can they give impartial advice to customers. I hate when I ask about a handset and the sales guy proceeds to pull out their own personal hand set and tell me how good it is and how I should get one. Even if I have a completely different set of requirements to their own. Classic example was one meteor store sales rep who advised me that WP could not download torrents and proceeded to show me how to download a pirated copy of a film from a certain torrent site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Just seen the 930 in the flesh in meteor wow a beautiful phone excellent spec I have always used iOS and I just sold my 5S in anticipation of iP6 but this phone has me really tempted. Where is the best place to pick one up sim free?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I think my 930 is going to have to go back :( the on screen interference caused when using edge is doing my head in, thought I could live with it but it turns out I end up on edge often enough. Kinda ****ty since it's otherwise a great phone that I'd be more than happy to keep, back to my trusty 920 so not the end of the world.

Had mine replaced but have the same issue on the new one so I guess it's a design flaw, a real shame as it's an otherwise great phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Someone suggested on a podcast, that the 930 phone because it lacks glance, and the screen technology for that, that its a different screen, and perhaps cheaper because of that. So maybe it new type of screen they've not used before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Where is the best place to pick one up sim free?

You're best getting it on Meteor prepay through CPW and just using your own SIM - it's about €100 cheaper than picking it up SIM free.

AngryLips wrote: »
    You're best getting it on Meteor prepay through CPW and just using your own SIM - it's about €100 cheaper than picking it up SIM free.
    Be locked to meteor then, no?

Or are all CPW phones unlocked?

• Advertisement
Advertisement