Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 930

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Available on Vodafone now.

In black only. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Black and white in meteor. You pays your money etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Quite sad but not unusual not to see good colours.
    This will be the last high end device for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Quite sad but not unusual not to see good colours.
    This will be the last high end device for a while anyway.

Really? I read that the 1020s end of production date was published as sept 2014. There must be more in the works, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Had the chance to play with one in both the VF and Meteor store. It's not as massive as I thought it would be and the prepay pricing on Meteor is incredibly cheap compared to almost everywhere else.

• Advertisement

Really? I read that the 1020s end of production date was published as sept 2014. There must be more in the works, no?

Yep.The next flagship already has been cancelled which was the Mc claren ,Nokia Asha and Nokia X also shelved.
    The X2 will probably never see light of day any units that do exist will probably be scrapped or changed.Anyone that has one of these will be lucky due to first production batch etc.
    Mr nadella is not interested in mobile going forward,seems to interested in other things like low end tablets and cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep.The next flagship already has been cancelled which was the Mc claren ,Nokia Asha and Nokia X also shelved.
    The X2 will probably never see light of day any units that do exist will probably be scrapped or changed.Anyone that has one of these will be lucky due to first production batch etc.
    Mr nadella is not interested in mobile going forward,seems to interested in other things like low end tablets and cloud.

Yep, unfortunately it really does seem that the plan for WP is to further marginalise it as MS focus on services and getting people to buy into that rather than the hardware platform.

Pity as it really did have potential IMO. What a difference a week makes.

That seems an odd thing to say given the Surface

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The McLaren was cancelled due to the new tech having no real purpose, the cessation of the Nokia X line was warranted as it competed with the 520 line.

I'm sure well see a new flagship for the fall, as we're getting to a point where the US carriers will be wanting something and MS will listen to them.

Surface ain't cheap. Low end is focus tablet wise now, not expensive surface product.

• Advertisement

The X line was a stupid idea to begin with.

Wow, it's some UTurn alright.
    I wonder are they maybe waiting for the outcome of the Samsung v apple debacle?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Wow, it's some UTurn alright.
    I wonder are they maybe waiting for the outcome of the Samsung v apple debacle?

Probably the most predictable UTurn in history.

Microsoft cancelling the android line was a pretty obvious move. I'm kinda surprised they dropped the Asha phones, was expecting them to keep those for a wee while.

Yeah android fair enough.
    But cancelling the future flagships...especially since the 930 is just the icon that was released in feb.

But cancelling the future flagships...especially since the 930 is just the icon that was released in feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I hope they stay focused on wp as it still missing some basic things you get on android. Simple things like background tasks are still problematic.

Nokia X was a daft idea. A Nokia phone with pure android maybe. But not another variation.

Surface ain't cheap. Low end is focus tablet wise now, not expensive surface product.

Do you have any evidence of this ? It would seem to be the opposite to me. They have shut down all of the low end manufacturing plants and kept the lumia design and manufacturing people. I don't understand how this, plus the fact that there has been no talk about the demise of the surface, means that they are now going to focus on low end tablets.

They didn't cancel future flagships, they cancelled a single device as the tech was too gimmicky and not ready for the market.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence of this ? It would seem to be the opposite to me. They have shut down all of the low end manufacturing plants and kept the lumia design and manufacturing people. I don't understand how this, plus the fact that there has been no talk about the demise of the surface, means that they are now going to focus on low end tablets.

Any evidence of Surface been cheap? No its pricey, simple.
    And yeah there's evidence of low end tablets a couple of new OEMs coming on stream, tablets and phones. MS just wanted to destroy Nokia as a brand that's quite evident now.

The icon shouldn't have happened, A worldwide release of 930 was better, again this exclusivity bull crap has ruined things.
    The 930 has also issue's, purple hue and overheating, it's launch plan has been canceled in some regions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Picked up a Lumia 930 in Carphone warehouse for €430 unlocked which is an extremely good price considering Expansys is selling them for €584 and it came with a free wireless charger

Go get!!

Any evidence of Surface been cheap? No its pricey, simple.
    And yeah there's evidence of low end tablets a couple of new OEMs coming on stream, tablets and phones. MS just wanted to destroy Nokia as a brand that's quite evident now.

But you said that Nadella was only interested in low end tablets. I was asking how could this be, given that they are making the surface.
    There is, of course, plenty of new OEMs coming out with low end hardware, but not MS. I know you're pissed about Nokia being broken up, but they did not buy it for the Asha and dumb business, so no reason to keep those alive. They probably could have spun them off though

But you said that Nadella was only interested in low end tablets. I was asking how could this be, given that they are making the surface.
    There is, of course, plenty of new OEMs coming out with low end hardware, but not MS. I know you're pissed about Nokia being broken up, but they did not buy it for the Asha and dumb business, so no reason to keep those alive. They probably could have spun them off though

MS bought Nokia to destroy it simple as.Not bothered at all by the way.Im just not blinkered like some are as to what the future is.
    Have had many an argument in other forums regards what nadella is doing,this should of been done years ago,before the Nokia acquisition.
    Nadella is clearly not focused on mobile at all,WP does not have great prospects right now,anyone that had considered moving to WP will not.

WP is still behind as regards to stupid lottery updates,again nokia guilty of this,sill launch plans,staggered launches,stupid exclusivity deals especially with the USA when several years ago the USA did not give a flying fcuk about nokia.

The only hope for MS now is that they fix all this,updates roll out faster,ensure apps are updated quicker,globally launch phones,not release them regionally.

The 930 will not be the success it was meant to be 3 months from announcement to launch and at that the problems,the availability etc.

I think MS have improved greatly with the regularity of their updates, creating a simple way for folks to bypass the carriers. Might have a look at the 930 myself, the 1020 is starting to overheat every time I use it.

Regular? Far from it ,months to release cyan,months to get it out to everyone,this is a big issue for most.
    The 930 is a nice device but has its issues,suppose any new device can to be fair,it will be the last flagship for a while.

Regular? Far from it ,months to release cyan,months to get it out to everyone,this is a big issue for most.
    The 930 is a nice device but has its issues,suppose any new device can to be fair,it will be the last flagship for a while.

Cyan is a Nokia release. I was talking about the ms updates. At least from now on there will be only one set

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Cyan is a Nokia release. I was talking about the ms updates. At least from now on there will be only one set

Maybe only one set. There will likely still be the generic OS update that works for every manufacturer and then the hardware manufacturer specific ones.

Future Lumia models should hopefully be one and the same (similar to Nexus Android phones), but you never know.

Cyan is a Nokia release. I was talking about the ms updates. At least from now on there will be only one set[/QUOTE

Lumia Cyan is the third firmware update from Nokia's mobile division, now owned by Microsoft.

Cyan is a Nokia release. I was talking about the ms updates. At least from now on there will be only one set[/QUOTE

Lumia Cyan is the third firmware update from Nokia's mobile division, now owned by Microsoft.

I know that (see my first sentence). Cyan was in development before the deal went through and it was similar to past Nokia-only updates (Amber etc.). There were over and above the GDR updates were pushing out, hence the differentiation.
    My point was that now that there won't be separate MS and Nokia updates. And that MS have found a good way of getting around the carriers for delivering updates to those that want them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The Developer Preview is brilliant. O2 are brutal for updates normally. The top few phones get them, everything else gets left.

Advertisement