Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lumia 930

• 20-04-2014 1:16am
    Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia930/

So what are people's thoughts on this one? IMO it's the best looking Nokia to date - I prefer the metal sides rather than the full plastic of the current Lumia range.

Hardware wise it looks really good too though I am concerned about battery.

I had a Lumia 800 (the WP7 phone) and it's probably the worst phone I've ever owned, but I have an Ativ S now and I really like it. 8.1 is what WP should have been from the very start. The Lumia 800 battery was absolutely terrible and that put me off the Nokia's a bit.

I think they are out in June, I wonder if the price will be iPhone-esque or will they bring it down to 400/500.

I am really tempted - anyone else thinking of getting one?

Either way if you're thinking of getting a new phone or you're due an upgrade I'd hold off until this comes out to see how it is received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

It certainly is a nice device and one thing that is annoying people which is minuscule is the lack of glance screen,the price will also be a key factor and again the availability here in ireland..

Looking at current models such as the 1320/1520 and the availability options there im not holding my breath on a wider option for customers here..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

jimmynokia wrote: »
    It certainly is a nice device and one thing that is annoying people which is minuscule is the lack of glance screen,the price will also be a key factor and again the availability here in ireland..

Looking at current models such as the 1320/1520 and the availability options there im not holding my breath on a wider option for customers here..

I'm hoping that availability will be pushed as launching the new range of Win 8.1 Phones.

I'd love to see one carrier launch the 930 in green white and orange and advertise it as the Irish flag.

liamog wrote: »
    I'm hoping that availability will be pushed as launching the new range of Win 8.1 Phones.

I'd love to see one carrier launch the 930 in green white and orange and advertise it as the Irish flag.

I hope so too,currently using a Lumia 630 and its quite good .

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

awec wrote: »
    So what are people's thoughts on this one? IMO it's the best looking Nokia to date - I prefer the metal sides rather than the full plastic of the current Lumia range.

Hardware wise it looks really good too though I am concerned about battery.

I think they are out in June, I wonder if the price will be iPhone-esque or will they bring it down to 400/500.

I am really tempted - anyone else thinking of getting one?

It's a nice phone overall, I prefer it to the 1520/1320 as I find them too big.

But the camera, screen and speed of the device are all there. My only concern is the battery which could be bigger - that's probably the main advantage of the 1520!

As for reviews, etc - the Lumia 930 is basically a Lumia Icon so I'd check some of those reviews, although I think Windows Phone 8.1 will sweeten the deal a bit :)

As for prices, it should cost less than the 1520 or 1020 - in terms of tech, it won't be the latest and greatest when it get released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm holding out for this one. Have a 2 year old Lumia slowly giving up, absolutely love it despite the battery life though it is my one and only smartphone in fairness. Will buy from amazon.de and wait for it to drop a bit in price to 400 range. Looks and sounds fantastic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Would love to get this but emobile have said they are not going to stock it :( might have to wait to get it sim free when the price drops a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

http://www.cyberport.de/?DEEP=A401-27G&APID=14

Available for pre order for 600 eur. A bit more than I was hoping for....

Out June 19th according to the site.

Never bought a phone sim free before. Would this price change between now and launch or quickly after. Lumia 820 feeling sluggish and looking to upgrade sooner rather than later

Where I noticed the details originally....

http://www.gsmarena.com/lumia_930_and_lumia_630_euro_price_and_availability_revealed-news-8352.php

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The price for sim free usually doesn't change, it usually holds steady until a newer model comes out.

As the 930 will be the new flagship phone it'll probably stay at that price until the next flagship Lumia comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I like the look of this phone but the lack of Glance is a disappointment if you're used to the feature from your previous Nokia.

I think the perfect WP handset right at this minute is the Lumia 925. It has a great camera, is really light, and is a good size (it doesn't have a ludicrously massive 6 inch screen or anything). Wireless Charging is available using a very slim and attractive 1st party clip-on cover. Possibly the only negative is the meh 16GB of storage but if you're using OneDrive a lot then it shouldn't be that much of an issue. And of course Glance is available on this one. The 925 has been out for a while so it can be got for very little (€250 on adverts.ie for example)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I like the look of this phone but the lack of Glance is a disappointment if you're used to the feature from your previous Nokia.

I think the perfect WP handset right at this minute is the Lumia 925. It has a great camera, is really light, and is a good size (it doesn't have a ludicrously massive 6 inch screen or anything). Wireless Charging is available using a very slim and attractive 1st party clip-on cover. Possibly the only negative is the meh 16GB of storage but if you're using OneDrive a lot then it shouldn't be that much of an issue. And of course Glance is available on this one. The 925 has been out for a while so it can be got for very little (€250 on adverts.ie for example)

I used the 925 for about 6 months after an 820. If you can find a Vodafone model they had a 32Gb version that covered the source issue.

Failing that the 1520 I have now is a brilliant device makes the 925 seem tiny by comparison. It took a little getting use to but between the screen size and battery life its well worth a look.

It will be interesting to see what the carrier support for the 930 will be like over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Missus recently got the 925 and I've been very, very impressed with it. Camera is absolutely fantastic in low light scenes (even better than my Lumix GF3!). Not a big 3rd party app user and what it has seems to cover my needs. Surprisingly, the Nokia apps are great on it. Love Mixradio and Here maps allows you to download maps and work offline (going to be dead handy on a trip to the states in the summer). The OS has a very fluid, intuitive flow to it.

Think I'll pay the price and get the 930 sim free over the 925, mostly for a more powerful camera. 925 is a decent camera, but looks like the 930 will be in a different league with 20mp and 1080p video (I know Android is going 4K now, but seriously, 1080p will do).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I saw a UK website today saying that the 930 will be available there on July 1st. at £525 but said that was not yet official from Nokia.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Was thinking of going for the upgrade when the release came but I'm torn tbh. I love the spec but asthetically, I think it's awful.

Was thinking of going for the upgrade when the release came but I'm torn tbh. I love the spec but asthetically, I think it's awful.

I think it's very nice in the hand, similar to the iPhone 4 in shape - the quality of the screen and general speed of the device are great. Definitely try it out when it appears in the shops.

theothernt wrote: »
    I think it's very nice in the hand, similar to the iPhone 4 in shape - the quality of the screen and general speed of the device are great. Definitely try it out when it appears in the shops.

Find it hard to believe people dislike it due to lack of glance and no memory expansion,having said that I prefer phones to have micro SD support but hey we have one drive.

Actually, copying the iphone design is something I don't like. It feels as though they are ditching the unique Lumia design in favour of something more recognizable to their competitors audience. I have small hands so the bigger screen and build would difficult for me and I'm not loving the colours.

But who am I kidding, it's a new Nokia lumia so I'll be all over it!

*edit* Will also miss glance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Find it hard to believe people dislike it due to lack of glance and no memory expansion,having said that I prefer phones to have micro SD support but hey we have one drive.

What puts me off about it is the size. I get that it's a similar footprint to the S5 but it's going to feel a lot heftier in the hand because it's much thicker and much heavier. It will feel to the S5 what the 920 felt to the S4

Same here on both counts. The lack of glance is odd. And although I can understand them removing it on the 520 (because it's a cheap phone, spend more and you'll get more features), there is no technical reason it shouldn't be on the 930.

Given how nicely, compared to Android, Windows Phone handles SD cards, I do think they should be on all Windows Phones - some of us don't want to stream everything from the cloud ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sorry I don't get why they have some OS features on one phone and not on another if its not hardware related.

The 520 is their biggest selling phone by a huge margin. I wonder how many people would try WP on the 520 then go back to Android because its missing some features. Its Microsoft biggest advertisement of the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭midger

Anything official on the release date of 930 in Ireland?....

• Advertisement

midger wrote: »
    Anything official on the release date of 930 in Ireland?....

I wonder is it at all likely that we'll get it at the sane time as the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

beauf wrote: »
    Sorry I don't get why they have some OS features on one phone and not on another if its not hardware related.

The 520 is their biggest selling phone by a huge margin. I wonder how many people would try WP on the 520 then go back to Android because its missing some features. Its Microsoft biggest advertisement of the OS.

I think it is hardware related though, on a reddit AMA an engineer explained it was due to a screen tech being used that doesn't have the requisite sub-something memory (or something).

I would really notice it if I got a new phone missing a feature such as glance. My 920 will need to last me at least another few months!

Same here on both counts. The lack of glance is odd. And although I can understand them removing it on the 520 (because it's a cheap phone, spend more and you'll get more features), there is no technical reason it shouldn't be on the 930.

Given how nicely, compared to Android, Windows Phone handles SD cards, I do think they should be on all Windows Phones - some of us don't want to stream everything from the cloud ;-)

Its the specific amoled screen they are using and its memory.

I wonder is it at all likely that we'll get it at the sane time as the UK?

Late June early July but you know how ireland is way ahead of everyone else.:P

Well we'll be able to narrow down the providers at this stage atleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's going to be on Meteor anyway...

Article here
    According to Ireland's Technology Blog, the operator has recently held a conference call covering handsets planned to be stocked and the Lumia 930 happens to be one of them. Perfect for those who are eagerly awaiting its arrival in Ireland.

While it is indeed confirmation the Lumia 930 will be sold by Meteor, there's no availability information yet.

And Vodafone apparently

According to the Nokia Ireland Facebook Page...
    "[the Nokia Lumia 930] is scheduled for release on Thursday, 3rd July. It will be available on Vodafone, Meteor and O2"

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No prices yet? I imagine we're going to be looking at 600+ to buy it outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Would like to change my 920 now for a new model and the 930 seems to fit the bill.

Just worried about buying the 930 as another flagship will probably appear for the Christmas market..should I wait?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Griffinx wrote: »
    Would like to change my 920 now for a new model and the 930 seems to fit the bill.

Just worried about buying the 930 as another flagship will probably appear for the Christmas market..should I wait?

If you want a 930 then I'd go for it

The good thing about WP in my opinion is that they don't "age" as fast as Droids. A 920 is still a decent phone, will get 8.1 and is still grand performance wise even now so a 930 should easily last another 2 years.

As a side note, the downside is can imagine this changing if WP became popular or why would you bother upgrade?
    The other problem possibly is that there's no real differences between them beyond screen sizes and this may be hurting uptake?

Advertisement