Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Ativ S Sale

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Just got a reply back from Amazon:

Dear Customer

We are definitely interested in an attractive pricing policy for you. This means that we always try to offer items in our shop at very special prices. Please note that once the order has been confirmed you have accepted the shown amount and therefore have agreed on the price offered by us.

However, under the circumstances, I have changed the price of the item manually to EUR 216.64 as an exception.

:D

Still no shipping date and Amazon ony started processing the order yesterday. :eek:

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Mine is now status shipped via UPS supposed to be delivery tomorrow!

I swear to God if it's a reurb I'll go nuts! It's from Amazon and states clearly NEW.

PS mad muffin, hit that crowd hard!

Mine seems to be the same as yours. Seems like an age to start processing the order, then a couple of days shipping soon, then boom ships over from Italy in a day.

It arrive in Dublin just after 6am. :D

Phone arrived @12:30 :D

Definitely new unlike the price-guard one :rolleyes:

Just updating it to GDR2 as I type. Can't believe it took only 24hrs to arrive from Italy.

Just check the price on Amazon.de and its gone down to €201 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mad muffin wrote: »
    Phone arrived @12:30 :D

Definitely new unlike the price-guard one :rolleyes:

Just updating it to GDR2 as I type. Can't believe it took only 24hrs to arrive from Italy.

Just check the price on Amazon.de and its gone down to €201 :eek:

I have an 8x, but this temps me!

I have an 8x, but this temps me!

I'd say it would work out around €215 delivered to Ireland?

The price seems to be fluctuating. It went down a few Euros after I bought it then up a couple a day or so later now it's gone down again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I ordered an Ativ S from Amazon.de on Tuesday and it was delivered today

I paid a total of €226 inc. delivery which was a very good price for such a powerful phone

The phone was £219 on Amazon.co.uk, which is actually around €30 more than then German site. The only difference seems to be the power adaptor is, obviously on a phone from mainland Europe, a European plug

I have had a number of Windows Mobiles\Phones over the years inc. the HD7 and the 8S and have always been pleased with the phones.

I have also had a number of Android phones which have been a bit of a disappointment inc. the HTC One X (gets unbelievably hot), Sony Xperia P (very slow) ,Sony Xperia Mini (crap) ,Samsung Galaxy S , S2 and Note 2 (far too big and heavy).

Windows Phone 8 is very nice and I especially like the way that it is linked to the cloud through your Microsoft Passport

I have just turned the phone on for the first time, with no SIM in it, and all the text messages from my 8S have appeared on it. This is a very handy feature if you lose your phone as you can just pick up a new phone and all the information is there

Overall, I believe that I'm going to be very happy with my Ativ S and that it was a very good purchase

I had actually planned on getting this phone when my contract was last up for renewal, but it was actually quite difficult to find and was more expensive than the Galaxy Note 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Nice device, decent price. Very tempted by Windows Phone 8, but I'm still a little bitter from WP7. Impressive OS, but the lack of updates after only a few years on the market? Frustrating.

I see the stupid artist background not showing for all artists is still there. :(

Except now its a grey background...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »

That's just for Nokia.

The Samsung does have a block call setting but not for SMS.

Does anyone know if there is a web text app available?

Any idea what other apps work on Nokias but not the Ativ S?

Any idea what other apps work on Nokias but not the Ativ S?

That one was made by Nokia for Nokia phones, you won't find it in the app store.

So how is everyone enjoying their Ativ S?

I'm loving the sound quality of this thing, really impressed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I've been using the Ativ S for just over a week and am very impressed with it

Windows Phone 8 is really fast and just works , unlike Android.

The battery is very good, I was streaming an internet radio station to a Bluetooth speaker in a poor reception area and the battery lasted for over 5 hours, that's after a full day of light web browsing and calling in the same poor signal area

The huge number of useful apps in the app store is also quite surprising as most people say that there are very few apps available for the platform.

A great feature of the OS is that it saves text messages to your Microsoft account which means that they are backed up properly and just appear on any Windows Phone that you log-in to. I have a HTC 8S with another SIM in it and any texts that are sent to either phone, show up in both

The integration with your Windows desktop is obviously very good and works a lot better than any of the desktop apps for Android phones eg Kies etc.. It also integrates a lot better than the bloated iTunes software for iPhones

The fact that the body of the phone is based on the Galaxy S3 is also handy as it means that you can buy screen protectors etc for the S3 and use them on the Ativ S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Anyone else noticing the odd unexpected reboot?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Anyone else noticing the odd unexpected reboot?

Not me. Are you using a class 10 micro SD by any chance or in a low signal area?

Not me. Are you using a class 10 micro SD by any chance or in a low signal area?

No SD card at all in it. I do live in and frequent bad signal areas alright.
    Is there a known issue with either?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    No SD card at all in it. I do live in and frequent bad signal areas alright.
    Is there a known issue with either?

I have read reports of either one causing problems on wpcentral. I might have read that GDR2 fixes the reboot issues.

I have GDR2 but I'm using a class 4 micro SD and haven't been in any low signal areas yet. When I'm in a low signal area I'll keep an eye out and report back.

• Advertisement

I got that update alright the day it was released for the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Just got one of these delivered for 215 from Amazon.de.

I was using a HTC Sensation, which was a top of the line phone when it was released, but this is light years ahead of that.

I had been considering getting a Jiayu G4, but I'm delighted I went for this instead.

The Windows OS just works better than Android too, I way prefer it. Sure there are issues with some apps not being available, but it's worth it for such a lovely phone with a brilliant OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any nice cases or other accessories for this? It is waiting at home for me but I won't get my hands on it for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Can you download country maps on the Ativ like the Nokia WP8 phones?
    To use offline so to speak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

gman2k wrote: »
    Can you download country maps on the Ativ like the Nokia WP8 phones?
    To use offline so to speak?

You might be able to get Nokia Here maps but it's a Nokia specific product so chances are what you want may not be available for Samsung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

TBi wrote: »
    You might be able to get Nokia Here maps but it's a Nokia specific product so chances are what you want may not be available for Samsung.

Thanks, but I'm looking for a definitive answer from an owner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

gman2k wrote: »
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a definitive answer from an owner!

Definitive proof here.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/07/24/here-maps-for-windows-phone-8-walk-through/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Is the one on amazon.de being sold by amazon themselves unlocked? €205 delivered seems a bargain for the spec. I was going to get the nexus 8gb, but thats sold out now for good it seems, as my order was previously cancelled and its a lot of hassle to get the 16gb as it keeps cancelling my orders. Also €50 extra for 8gb isn't as good a deal personally.

Is windows phone 8 a big jump from 7.8? Coming from a lumia 800.

Well I think I'm going to give up on the Nexus 4, google are constantly cancelling my orders absolute pain.

Will this be getting future updates gdr3, win 8.1 etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Well I think I'm going to give up on the Nexus 4, google are constantly cancelling my orders absolute pain.

Will this be getting future updates gdr3, win 8.1 etc?

It will indeed.

Personally, wp8 is a big jump from 7.8, not only is there more apps available but it is a more finished product, along with future update such as gdr3, 8.1 etc.

For €205, it is an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Does anyone know how to view Sim Messages on this?

Basically, I got the usual series of texts from O2 when I put my sim in a new phone:

1. We'll send you settings to allow data usage on this phone.
    2. A sim message that I assume is the settings.
    3. If you accepted those settings, you're good to go.

But I never got presented the option to accept them...

Now the phone is showing the H/3G logo beside my bars, but it can't access the network in any apps...

• Advertisement

Does windows phone 8 still require zune when transferring music files or can you just stick the microsd into your pc and drag and drop music/videos?

Tinie wrote: »
    Does windows phone 8 still require zune when transferring music files or can you just stick the microsd into your pc and drag and drop music/videos?

WP8 doesn't support Zune at all. Drag and drop is fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

WP8 is drag and drop.

How long was delivery for you guys from day of order on amazon.de, not despatch.

How long was delivery for you guys from day of order on amazon.de, not despatch.

I ordered at 11pm on a Friday. Phone was shipped on the following Wednesday. Delivered the next day. So four business days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

I see that you save a tenner from getting this shipped to the Uk for some reason, so should it be ok to use parcel motel as I have a free trial with them left. Also do you get a free microsd card with this, as some reviews said theirs came with a 16gb card. Thanks

Was it An post that delivered your phones guys as I just ordered one, and if its a courier service ill have to organise to collect it.

Was it An post that delivered your phones guys as I just ordered one, and if its a courier service ill have to organise to collect it.

Courier for me. UPS.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Courier for me. UPS.

Hmmm. I wonder would parcel motel work in holding the parcel till I got home that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hmmm. I wonder would parcel motel work in holding the parcel till I got home that night.

You can collect it from UPS or select a different delivery address after the first delivery attempt. If you do nothing after the first delivery attempt, they will try to deliver two more times before returning to the sender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Really tempted by this but I would really like a higher res screen. My old LG win 7.5 died and I am on a awful POS loaner phone at the moment. Bloody tempting me though!

Was tempted too but decided to go with the nokia 920 instead for this reason and the exclusive nokia apps, delighted i did, the screen and indeed phone is a thing of beauty.
    Got mine for €380 inc shipping on amazon, its unlocked to any newtowrk too.
    No doubt the Ativ S is a great phone but as i say the extras and simply stunning screen was too much to resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sod it I ordered the Samsung

where did you buy it from ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

With the rumours flying around of Win 9 devices coming out so I am stuck really. Although at least this time round win 8 phone will be upgraded to win 9.

Windows Phone 9 isn't coming in a hurry. We'll be getting GDR3 update for Windows Phone 8 before the end of the year, this seems mainly to be for BIG screen phones.

After that, Windows Phone 'Blue' / 8.1 will be out early 2014, but as you mention Win 8 handsets look likely to be able to upgrade to this.

Amazon.de got my last Windows phone from them too. 199+6e shipping to my office. Looking forward to getting back into the windows phone environment. Cant wait to dump this blackberry piece of junk :)

How did you get €6 shipping? I was charged €212 total delivered, or maybe its cheaper to get it delivered to dublin?

920 is too heavy and bulky and I ain`t paying 380e :) With the rumours flying around of Win 9 devices coming out so I am stuck really. Although at least this time round win 8 phone will be upgraded to win 9. That said this Blackberry loan phone is really grinding my gears, it cant do anything!

Not at all heavy, mine sits nicely in my cycling top up in the shoulder pocket,wouldnt notice it at all.
    Best built phone ive used or even played around with including the HTC One.
    The nokia exclusives,the best camera on the market and that glorious screen make it worth the extra imho.
    But yes that Ativ S is a great deal, i just dislike anything that resembles the Galaxy S3 or S4.
    Good luck with the Ativ, WP8 is just soooo damn fast,its a pleasure to use.

Sorry I rechecked it wasn't 6e it was 5e :pac: The look of the S4 doesn't bother me as its a nice looking handset. My budget for a phone is always around 250 I wouldn't ever spend over 300 on a phone so this suits me down to the ground.

lol again, how did you get €5 shipping as im getting charged a fair few euros more for waterford :confused:

Also, did ye guys who bought this off amazon.de get the GDR2 update already?

GDR2 was there for me to download when I got the phone last month. Be sure to install it before setting up the phone.

If data sense doesn't appear in the app list, you'll need to do a factory reset.

Sorry I rechecked it wasn't 6e it was 5e :pac: The look of the S4 doesn't bother me as its a nice looking handset. My budget for a phone is always around 250 I wouldn't ever spend over 300 on a phone so this suits me down to the ground.

I hear ya, to be honest if i wasnt such a heavy user with a camera i would have considered the Ativ S a bit more.

GDR2 was there for me to download when I got the phone last month. Be sure to install it before setting up the phone.

If data sense doesn't appear in the app list, you'll need to do a factory reset.

I installed it today no hassle days after getting the phone, didnt interfere with anything existing on the device ,is it different on the Ativ S?

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    I installed it today no hassle days after getting the phone, didnt interfere with anything existing on the device ,is it different on the Ativ S?

Yeah, there's a bug on the Ativ.

Advertisement