Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let me push that stool in for you: the off-topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Figured the off topic thread might be the place for this, as opposed to a new thread.

Assuming you, as a beer enthusiast, have a couple of beers a week, what steps do you take to try maintain a balance lifestyle?

Related to this, who would be willing to put themselves out there and admit their average beer consumption per week? :D

Over lunch, I watched the Craft Beer Channel's Dry January video. Yer man counts up his average weekly units (I think it was 39 units) and clocking in at close to 4k calories of beer alone. He spoke to some addiction doctors & doctors who deal with alcohol. All very sobering ( :P) stuff.

It was reiterated the units thing is a guideline, and while 39 units per week might be damaging for one person, it might be tolerable for another. The addiction doctor said she was dealing with people consuming > 100 units per week, and they had serious liver problems.

I know myself between Lockdowns 1, 2 & 3, I've definitely gained weight between getting into beer & less activity (used to have a 15 min walk to & from work, plus walks at lunch). I'm working full time & studying full time, so barely get myself out for a walk let alone a run (I was good for that over the summer though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I'm a beer enthusiast

At the moment, I don't touch alcohol Sunday - Weds.

On a Thursday at the moment I'm doing a beer tasting course with the national homebrew club, so drinking beers is involved there every 2nd week, but normally I wouldn't drink on a Thursday either.

On a Friday myself and my wife have after work cocktails (2 each), then I'll drink 4 or 5 cans of craft beer (I mix it up between session IPA (4-5%) and stronger barrel aged stouts (8-10%) etc) and then on a Saturday I might drink up to 8 cans of the same sort of mix.

I'm actually on a weightloss thing at the moment, and I've lost two stone so far, I could be going down quicker if I cut out that beer I suppose, but I'm not a monk.

Oh I should say, in the first lockdown, when we had all that great weather, I must have drank a beer or two every single day for about 2 months, and the same consumption at the weekends as now, if not more.

I'd close my laptop, go out into the sunsoaked back garden and crack open a cold one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I would have a few drinks 3-5 days of the week. I really feel like I want to jump in here and say "but if it's 5 days of the week then that's when I'd have very little!", but that's probably what a problem drinker would say, right?

In terms of beer consumption I would have 1-2 cans of beer maybe 2-3 of those days, in the early evening when I'm cooking dinner.

The majority of my drinks these days would be 1-2 whiskies or negronis later in the evening.

I do think this is more than is medically advised, it's hard to argue otherwise frankly. I would be more concerned about slightly elevating my odds of cancer or whatever else more than the calorie intake implications of drinking.

If you're gaining weight because of what you're drinking, the option is there to rein it in or adjust your calorie intake across other areas to put yourself in a deficit until you bring your weight under control. Of course you can exercise (I train 4 days per week, sometimes 5) but it's easier to have a sense of what your calorie intake is and deal with that than to attempt to 'out train' your bad diet. Training can help offset, however.

I think the risk with this kind of drinking is when it becomes a habit, and there is a slow creep. I have a wife and I guess we keep each other honest, but I have read accounts of people's slide into alcoholism and I can see that in the right circumstances, where perhaps you have problems in your life and the social stigma or concern you might have just goes out the window... Yeah, I can see how someone could comfort drink the way some people comfort eat.

There was one account I heard on a podcast which related to a guy who had been disabled in a war. He was in an office job and was generally unfulfilled and dealing with trauma. He got to a position where he was living for the weekends, when he would have a bottle of wine each night. That was the highlight of the week. So then that weekend bottle became a glass of wine every night. Then that became several glasses of wine every night, and eventually a bottle a night. Then two bottles a night. Then he started drinking during the day on the weekends. Then he started coming up with fake trips to leave his family to go away drinking heavily for full days on the weekend. Gradually he started having wine at lunchtime during the week, but when this wasn't enough anymore he started drinking vodka early in the morning when he got up, to get himself to lunchtime. Then he had to have vodka in the toilets at work. So, eventually, he reached a position where he was drinking constantly throughout every day of the week. And it had just crept up on him over the course of this long period, and all the while at each stage he was under the (mistaken) belief that the people around him didn't notice because he was being discreet. But of course... Most of us have encountered an alcoholic in our lives, maybe at work or even at school, who thinks they are flying under the radar... But they're not...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Lockdowns have definitely increased my beer intake, usually 4-5 beers on a Friday and Saturday night. Pre covid I wouldn't drink the night before a football game or early morning golf so that would keep me off the beer altogether sometimes on a weekend. No excuses these days to drink away on a Friday and Saturday night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dry January has definitely made me more conscious of all my alcohol intake. I'm definitely less likely to midweek booze now than I was previously, even in lockdown.

And where I'd crack open selection from Martin's of a Friday and Saturday, now they're as likely to stay in the pantry for a few weeks as be drank.

keep yer ipa in the fridge you madman

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Year ago today was the last time I was in a pub without any restrictions - although I'd be reluctant to call it a "normal" evening in the pub; as the place was a ghost town because lots of people were already quite scared of going out.

Five days earlier was my last time in a Dublin pub without restrictions and it was pretty normal - that's how quickly stuff declined.

Because I live in Kildare, I did have a brief period of being able to go out without food and time limits (my local is cavernous, 2m distancing was not an issue) but it was still table service, screens, contact tracing etc.

All a bit of a pain for a pub blogger :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My last hurrah was in the Sidecar at The Westbury, we went big before we went home! I'd just lost my job and said **** it, I'm spending a few bob on myself before I go broke :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Francis' Big Bangin' IPA in a deserted Waterloo on Baggot Street, before going to a crowded restaurant full of Cheltenham returnees. Lucky to be still alive tbh.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Year ago today was the last time I was in a pub without any restrictions - although I'd be reluctant to call it a "normal" evening in the pub; as the place was a ghost town because lots of people were already quite scared of going out.

Five days earlier was my last time in a Dublin pub without restrictions and it was pretty normal - that's how quickly stuff declined.

Because I live in Kildare, I did have a brief period of being able to go out without food and time limits (my local is cavernous, 2m distancing was not an issue) but it was still table service, screens, contact tracing etc.

14th for me in the local, The Glen. I really miss it. Pints in the Black Lion in June and October, while welcome, just weren't the same.

Was due to fly out to AMS on the 12th (today) and then down to Paris on the train for the match but obviously didn't travel.

Had drinks in Underdog during the week leading up to school closures, I worked from home the day after, into the office the day after that for the last time since.

I really miss sitting down at the bar in UD and buzzing off Paddy and (the now departed) Barry and Chris, best bar tending trio in the world them lads.

You'd always meet someone you know in there, no matter the evening, and if it was quiet and you sat at the bar you'd make new friends anyway - I really hope they come out the other side of this, the couple of times I went in to get growler fills before xmas made me realise just what UD brings to the craft scene in this city.

L1011 wrote: »

what's your blog?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

what's your blog?

Its in my sig, but if you're on mobile, here.

Mainly researching/writing history stuff now, cause I don't think shebeen operators want to be documented! :pac:

What beers are we planning for St Patrick's Day?

I have White Hag's Shamrock Shake ice cream ale (had to do it, so curious!) and Kinnegar's Shuttle Bucket (double rye IPA) lined up. If I think of it, I'll pick up a can of Murphy's to boot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Westmalle Extra has been around for years. The label used to be beige rather than blue. This looks to me like an attempt by Westmalle's PR company to give the brewery some Westvleteren-esque panache.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Westmalle Extra has been around for years. The label used to be beige rather than blue. This looks to me like an attempt by Westmalle's PR company to give the brewery some Westvleteren-esque panache.

If it's anything like Westvleteren Blond, I'll be happy. I don't think I've had the Extra.
    The poor blond never gets talked about but I think it's the most remarkable of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Might be of interest to some people.

PUB AUCTION IN KITTY KIERNAN'S PUB, WATERFORD. TO INCLUDE CONTENTS OF THE PUB, INCLUDING TABLES, STOOLS, CHAIRS, PUB DECOR, BAR, COLD ROOM AND MORE. - 174 LOTS

https://antiquesireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

joujoujou wrote: »
    NU6IUSX.gif

Boom!!! :pac:

is there a gin thread like the whiskey thread?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not as yet, the non-whiskey or rum thread is the nearest thing to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057609443/1

ah thanks, this seems to fit the bill.

Might revive it

I have a shelf in the sitting room where I keep my beer 'backlog', about 20 beers. One of them exploded yesterday and made a mess, it was fairly old so thought the rest would be grand. Nope, another one went bang today while I was out. Had to box them all up and stick them in the shed. There is a thermostat in the room saying it's 32 degrees. Maybe time to invest in a beer fridge

I actually had to pack up my beer fridge as it was working overtime in the heat. Didn't want to burn it out. Wasn't able for this. I'm not drinking much in the apartment these days so I'll be fine.

That being said, Oettinger landed back in Lidl. It was like cheap beer Christmas. Whopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ha. They only had 500ml in Lidl Cork St when I was in earlier. 4 for 4.49.

Lidl Skibereen had the 330ml in stock, 6 for 4.49.

• Advertisement

Tis the season for 10+% barrel aged imperial stouts and the likes. I'm probably very much in a minority but I don't like coffee and indifferent about most spirits(usually that's all I taste from these) so I always feel a bit left out when everyone gets excited for Autumn/Winter seasonal specials. I guess I do save some money. Not much point to this post, just getting it off my chest 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement